Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Year by Year Polls: 1940 ** Poll Closed **; CFB Year by Year Polls, closes 11th March
Topic Started: Feb 17 2017, 01:06:07 PM (4,782 Views)
jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
farne
Mar 12 2017, 09:31:16 AM
The poll is now closed.

Looking forward to the results. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
The Obsessed Listmaking Slut
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, OldAle, did you see Operette? A bit late now, but it managed to break the spell and be one of 2 non-English language films on my top 20. Nobuko and Travelling Actors from your list would possibly have made the top 25-30. Have added Battement de coeur to my watchlist.
Edited by St. Gloede, Mar 12 2017, 09:52:08 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
St. Gloede
Mar 12 2017, 09:47:30 AM
Hey, OldAle, did you see Operette? A bit late now, but it managed to break the spell and be one of 2 non-English language films on my top 20. Nobuko and Travelling Actors from your list would possibly have made the top 25-30. Have added Battement de coeur to my watchlist.
Nope, didn't get to it. Wasn't really high on the radar, and I don't have a copy and would have had to search for it.

HitchcockTheLegend
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
farne
Feb 17 2017, 01:06:07 PM
Welcome to the latest Year-by-Year Poll. These polls were a fixture on IMDb's Classic Film Board, but the message boards closing down will cramp our style a bit, so we've decided to move them here. Thanks to icmforum for providing a new home for them. Hopefully there will be lots of new voters here as well as plenty of our regulars.

This poll is for the year 1940

These polls are fairly simple. We work our way through film history selecting a different year each time, and you list your top films from the given year. Depending on the number of voters, the poll usually produces a list of around 50-90 films and is a great way of finding recommendations. Lots of people will also list other films outside their top 20 as honourable mentions or runners-up.

The Rules

You can vote for a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 20 films.

Feature films, documentaries, short films, TV movies and TV mini-series are all eligible, but not continuing TV series or individual TV episodes.

We use IMDb dates for consistency, so a title should be listed on IMDb as 1940.

Your ballot can be either ranked or unranked, but I will assume it's ranked unless otherwise stated. For ranked ballots it makes it easier if you use a numbered list.

The Scoring

For ranked ballots, the top-ranked title will receive a number of points equal to the number of titles on the ballot, with each succeeding title receiving one fewer point. So the top title on a list of 20 films will receive 20 points, the next 19 points and so on. If the list has only 10 films, the top title will receive 10 points, the next one 9, and so on. If there are 5 films on the list, the top film will receive 5 points, the next one 4, well you get the idea.

For unranked ballots, each title will receive an equal share of the total points that would have been allotted to the ballot if it had been ranked. If there are 20 films on the ballot, this means each one would receive 10.5 points.

Some resources

1940 films you've rated on IMDb

1940 films on your IMDb watchlist

1940 films on IMDb sorted by number of votes

Wikipedia's 1940 in film article

The Deadline

This poll will run for approximately 3 weeks and will close on or shortly after Saturday 11th March .

The next poll will be 1981, followed by 2005.

Thanks for reading this, and for taking part.

Sorry I am too late for this one. I will endeavor to not miss the next one.

Great work all involved. :)

morrison-dylan-fan
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
OldAle1
Mar 11 2017, 05:33:43 PM
Most Wanted

All This, and Heaven Too
Arizona
Black Friday
Boom Town
Comrade X
The Devil Bat
La fille du puisatier / The Well-Digger's Daughter
Gaslight
Ghost Breakers
I Love You Again
The Invisible Man Returns
The Invisible Woman
Maddalena... zero in condotta / Maddalena, Zero for Conduct
Saps at Sea
The Stars Look Down

Hi Ale,whilst trying to find the film online for the challenge,I'm pleased to say that The Well-Digger's Daughter has come out on a mod DVD (not sure if it has Subs or is dubbed):

https://www.amazon.com/Well-Diggers-Daughter-Raimu/dp/B004448GJU

Not seeing the film on any of your list,I think you would find Menaces... to be interesting,with it taking a harsh look at the unfolding horrors:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0204481/?ref_=adv_li_tt

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
The Well Diggers Daughter is on youtube at the moment.

morrison-dylan-fan
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Mar 13 2017, 06:09:08 AM

Hi Eve,I was wondering if the film is on YT with Eng Subs?,the only Vid I can find of the full movie on there is without.

Thanks.

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
morrison-dylan-fan
Mar 13 2017, 10:06:28 PM
Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Mar 13 2017, 06:09:08 AM

Hi Eve,I was wondering if the film is on YT with Eng Subs?,the only Vid I can find of the full movie on there is without.

Thanks.

You can grab the video from youtube with a website like onlinevideoconverter and then download subtitles from opensubs or some other website that has them and watch it from your desktop with a program like vlc or most other video playback software.

Tarris1
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
When are the results coming?

farne
Member Avatar
By arrangement with IMDb
 * ]
In a day or two, hopefully.

farne
Member Avatar
By arrangement with IMDb
 * ]
The 1940 results have now been posted: 1940 results

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Our lists and projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone