Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Animation Challenge; Official April 2017
Topic Started: Mar 31 2017, 06:57:33 PM (2,973 Views)
3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
10. The Polar Express (04)

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
49. Garfield (2004)
Man, this should be a lesson to Bill Murray to read his scripts a little closer. He apparently thought the writer of Garfield, Joel Cohen, was actually Joel Coen of the Coen brothers. By the time he got around to reading this pile of garbage, he was already contractually bound to finish it.

50. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: The Movie - Endless Waltz (2000)
Am I crazy in thinking it seems a little rash to just hurl the Gundams into the sun because they don't think they'll be needing them anymore? I mean, what's the harm leaving them locked in a basement somewhere, right? But yea, this was a pretty predictable follow-up to the Gundam Wing TV series, which I watched some of but not all. So I did at least understand who some of the characters were. I wasn't too impressed overall.

51. Superman: Brainiac Attacks
I thought this was a pretty decent animated Superman movie in the style of the Superman Animated Series. Powers Boothe and Lance Henrickson were pretty interesting choices for Lex Luthor and Brainiac respectively. In general the plot seemed a little overly simplistic to be great.

52. The Amazing Adventures of the Living Corpse (2012)
This was made in 2012? The animation looked terrible, like something from Liquid TV back in the early 90's. The movie itself wasn't much better. The plot was a load of nonsense with a main character I didn't give a rat's ass about, and the music is of special terrible mention for sounding like an outtake from a Coal Chamber recording session that was just looped over and over again.

53. Thunderbean's Fleischer's Classics Set: Modeling (1921), In My Merry Oldsmobile (1931), Is My Palm Read (1933), Little Dutch Mill (1934), The Paneless Window Washer (1937), Ding Dong Doggie (1937), Two for the Zoo (1941), Swing Cleaning (1941), Mother Goose Land (1933)
Man, cartoons used to be WEIRD.

54. Sakura taisen: Katsudou shashin (2001)
Sort of like a Steampunk Nadesico that culminates in a literal space opera. Apparently based on a whole series of video games and manga, none of which I have consumed. It's fairly stand-alone though.

55. Fun & Fancy Free (1947)
Well, the Bongo segment was fairly forgettable and way too long for what it had to offer. Mickey and the Beanstalk could've been good but was almost ruined by the painfully unfunny antics of Edgar Bergen's framing story and narration.

Merrily We Roll Along...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
69. Fehérlófia (1981)

Directors: 6: Pjotr Sapegin
Directors: 5: Robert Clampett
Directors: 4: Tex Avery, Dave Fleischer, Norman McLaren
Directors: 3: Chuck Jones, Mike Thurmeier
Directors: 2: Hideaki Anno, Stéphane Aubier, Ralph Bakshi, Friz Freleng, Don Hertzfeldt, Len Lye, Steve Martino, Jimmy T. Murakami, Yuriy Norshteyn, Vincent Patar, Phil Roman, Makoto Shinkai, Jan Svankmajer, Genndy Tartakovsky

Features (54): USA: 27; France: 8; Japan: 8; Brazil: 2; UK: 2; Australia: 1; Belgium: 1; Czechoslovakia: 1: Hungary: 1; Ireland: 1; Norway: 1; Spain: 1
Shorts (84): USA: 43; Canada: 10; Norway: 8; France: 5; Germany 4; UK: 4; Czechoslovakia 2; Japan: 2; Soviet: 2; Austria 1; Czech Rep. 1;
Luxembourg: 1; Russia: 1
318 animated features and shorts in official lists left.

A life more animated
Same challenge in 2016: 14 seen (ranked: 9th)
All animations seen in challenges

!seen 69

New awards this month:
Platinum: Best Cartoons Ever - A Gift List From Jerry Beck
Gold: Animation, Fantasy, Sci-fi
Silver: Top 100 Animated Features of All Time, Action, 2000s
Bronze: Shorts
Closest awards (off. chall.): 2 Animated BFI, 4 Animation imdb, 10 Top 100 Animated, 13 Annecy, 15 César, 30 100 French Times, 37 100 French TimeOut
Edited by albajos, Apr 15 2017, 06:09:39 PM.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
56. Belladonna of Sadness (1973)
Despite having never actually taken drugs in my life, I think I can speak with confidence that the average trip is not unlike watching this movie stone cold sober. Some absolutely beautiful visuals at times but with an opaque and somewhat disturbing subject matter.

57. Loups=Garous (2010)
An OK techno-thriller involving kids immersed in a cyber world being bumped off by a mysterious figure. It somehow seemed overly simple and needless complex at the same time.

58. Chumon no ooi ryori-ten (1992), Kafuka: Inaka isha (2007), Shijin no shôgai (1974)
Dug into a themed set of shorts involving bizarre, non-traditional Japanese animation. Chumon no ooi ryori-ten was an interesting, eerie and well-drawn work that proved fairly effective. Kafuka is a surreal, fascinating Koji Yamamura short based on Kafka and featuring animation that seems at odds with its self, always twisting and distorting, keeping the viewing off-balance. Kawamoto's The Poet's Life has a kind of anti-Capitalist message couple with an odd almost Terry Gilliam-esque at times pseudo stop-motion drawing style. I dug the look but the story came off a little heavy-handed and too on-the-nose.

Merrily We Roll Along...

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
70. Ballerina (2016)
71. Ma vie de Courgette (2016)

Directors: 2: Hideaki Anno, Stéphane Aubier, Ralph Bakshi, Friz Freleng, Don Hertzfeldt, Len Lye, Steve Martino, Jimmy T. Murakami, Yuriy Norshteyn, Vincent Patar, Phil Roman, Makoto Shinkai, Jan Svankmajer, Genndy Tartakovsky

Features (56): USA: 27; France: 10; Japan: 8; Brazil: 2; UK: 2; Australia: 1; Belgium: 1; Czechoslovakia: 1: Hungary: 1; Ireland: 1; Norway: 1; Spain: 1
Shorts (84): USA: 43; Canada: 10; Norway: 8; France: 5; Germany 4; UK: 4; Czechoslovakia 2; Japan: 2; Soviet: 2; Austria 1; Czech Rep. 1;
318 animated features and shorts in official lists left.

A life more animated

!seen 71

New awards this month:
Closest awards (off. chall.): 2 Animated BFI, 4 Animation imdb, 10 Top 100 Animated, 13 Annecy, 15 César, 30 100 French Times, 37 100 French TimeOut
Edited by albajos, Apr 16 2017, 06:41:16 PM.

PUNQ
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]

11. Ballerina (2016, Eric Summer & Éric Warin) - 4/10
--- Professionally made animation feature from France, but the formula is so by-the-book that it quickly becomes irrelevant besides being a simple time waster for the kids. Follows the time tested theme of a orphan wanting to be a ballerina (do girls still want to be ballerinas?), adding a few out-of-place modern songs in a 1800s environment, and of course the overly forced happy ending for every one (as if kids can't handle any tragedy at all). Okay, I might sound overly negative. This is a 2nd tire animation film, meaning it's nice to look at, and that it can pass for a good time if one isn't too critical. I've seen plenty worse, but it's hardly anything original.

12. Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017, Sam Liu) - 4/10
--- Teen Titans: The Love Story, is what it really should have been called. So mushy-mushy-mushy! Teens and their naive emotions. This episode really could have used some mature superheroes.

13. Fishtales (2016, Evan Tramel) - 1/10
--- Running out of animation films to show my 6 year old during the Easter Holidays, Fishtales (2016) turned up.... and disappointed greatly. It's a bad sea documentary disguised as a animation film. What saved parts of the experience for us was that we had just returned from out holiday in Copenhagen where we visited The Blue Planet (Den Blå Planet) aquarium, so we at least had something to talk about as the various fish turned up. But otherwise this was a dreadful time.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
59. Macross: Do You Remember Love? (1984)
Some nice action sequences can't rescue a really hokey ending for me. Syrupy pop music is the enemy's weakness and some kind of super morale booster to the allied forces? Um, yea...

60. Yu-Gi-Oh! Bonds Beyond Time (2010)
Well, normally I wouldn't get within 10 feet of a Yu-Gi-Oh movie but the time travel premise (which I'm a sucker for) drew me in. Once you get past the general concept of a villain going into the past to prevent the game from being invented, it basically turns into another bland Yu-Gi-Oh battle, which if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Really not recommended unless you are already a fan.

61. Lupin the Third: The Gravestone of Daisuke Jigen (2014)
I enjoyed this recent stylish Lupin OVA involving Lupin and Jigen getting mixed up with a deadly sniper (and Fujiko showing up quite naked with her own hidden agenda, of course). I assume the Mamo tease at the end hints at a follow-up that I'll need to be on the lookout for.

62. Monster Mash (2000)
The basic premise of this one is actually not bad with the classic monsters Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolf Man being deemed no longer scary and irrelevant in the face of the modern crop of monsters such as Chucky, Jason and the Alien (or their reasonable non-copyright facsimiles anyway) so they must prove that they've still got it. Unfortunately in execution its a bungled mess of wacky voices, prat falls, lame jokes and less than stellar animation. Oh well...

63. The Boy and the Beast (2015)
Hosuda continues to show how well his instincts are in honing a crowd-pleasing spectacular with just enough emotional depth to heighten the movie but not so much so as to alienate his audience. Some have said that he along with Shinkai are the heir apparents to the Ghibli throne but to me he's been more like a talented Hollywood director (a Spielberg maybe) that can strike that balance of big impressive set pieces with smaller more human moments. With The Boy and the Beast, you have the central theme of loss, abandonment and loneliness with big moments like the arena battle and the White Whale sequence. Is this one of the finest movies I've ever seen? Probably not but I found it very engaging nonetheless.

Merrily We Roll Along...

ororama
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
6. Tarzan (1999) * 88 min.

*First time viewing.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
72. A Boy Named Charlie Brown (1969)

Directors: 2: Hideaki Anno, Stéphane Aubier, Ralph Bakshi, Friz Freleng, Don Hertzfeldt, Len Lye, Steve Martino, Bill Melendez, Jimmy T. Murakami, Yuriy Norshteyn, Vincent Patar, Phil Roman, Makoto Shinkai, Jan Svankmajer, Genndy Tartakovsky

Features (57): USA: 28; France: 10; Japan: 8; Brazil: 2; UK: 2; Australia: 1; Belgium: 1; Czechoslovakia: 1: Hungary: 1; Ireland: 1; Norway: 1; Spain: 1
317 animated features and shorts in official lists left.

A life more animated

!seen 72

New awards this month:
Closest awards (off. chall.): 2 Animated BFI, 4 Animation imdb, 9 Top 100 Animated, 13 Annecy, 15 César, 30 100 French Times, 37 100 French TimeOut

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
01. Saving Sally, by Avid Liongoren (2016) 9/10

A big surprise and a film I strongly recommend to all... Animation from the Philippines is not so common, and this is a fantastic movie.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
64. My Neighbors The Yamadas (1999)
Very quaint, sweet Takahata film using an interesting watercolor visual style that suits the material really well. It plays out as a series of vignettes that allows the viewer to become acquainted with the foibles and quirks of this odd little family, and by the end they've become quite endearing.

65. The Dog of Flanders (1997)
Holy God. I didn't think a film could be as depressing as Grave of the Fireflies... I really didn't want to be wrong about that, and yet here we are. It's well made but it's best to have some much more chipper lined up to put on after you're done.

66. Planes (2013)
Sigh... It's not even actively terrible. Just so mediocre as to be immediately forgettable as I'm watching it. Cliche, dialogue, incredibly predictable plot beats... There's just no reason to watch this.

67. Betty Boop Essential Collection Vol. 3
Betty Boop cartoons are just so weird. From the bizarre Cab Calloway ghost dancing netherworld to the giant head chasing Betty through a jungle, stuff like this just wouldn't be made today, or at least exposed like it was back then.

68. Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma (1989)
This is one of those good ol' fashioned dark horror fantasies that were so prevalent in the 80's and 90's (see Demon City Shinjuku, Ninja Scroll, etc.). Some nice grotesque traditional animation but without much an interesting plot to prop it up.

69. Hotarubi no mori e (2011)
A sad, sweet film that reminds me of something Shinkai would do. Nice while it lasts.

Merrily We Roll Along...

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
02. Gantz : 0, by Yasushi Kawamura & Keiichi Saitô (2016) 7/10

Looks a lot like a video game, but it's well done and entertaining...

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
01. 1.0* - Doragon Bôru Z 8: Moetsukiro!! Nessen Retsusen-chô Gekisen (1993)
02. 0.5* - Robots (2005)
03. 4.0* - Hamoni (2015)
04. 4.0* - Ihatobu Genso, Kenji no Haru [Spring & Chaos]
05. 3.5* - Le Petit Prince
Edited by Onderhond, Apr 18 2017, 10:29:36 AM.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
73. American Pop (1981) - Ralph Bakshi - 3rd film in the challenge - 5th total
74. The Land Before Time (1988) - Don Bluth - 2nd film in this challenge - 5th total
75. Snoopy Come Home (1972)

Directors: 3: Ralph Bakshi, Chuck Jones, Bill Melendez, Mike Thurmeier
Directors: 2: Hideaki Anno, Stéphane Aubier, Don Bluth, Friz Freleng, Don Hertzfeldt, Len Lye, Steve Martino, Jimmy T. Murakami, Yuriy Norshteyn, Vincent Patar, Phil Roman, Makoto Shinkai, Jan Svankmajer, Genndy Tartakovsky

Features (60): USA: 31; France: 10; Japan: 8; Brazil: 2; UK: 2; Australia: 1; Belgium: 1; Czechoslovakia: 1: Hungary: 1; Ireland: 1; Norway: 1; Spain: 1
314 animated features and shorts in official lists left.

A life more animated

!seen 75

New awards this month:
Closest awards (off. chall.): 1 Animated BFI, 4 Animation imdb, 7 Top 100 Animated, 13 Annecy, 15 César, 30 100 French Times, 37 100 French TimeOut
Edited by albajos, Apr 18 2017, 07:36:56 PM.

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
03. Song of the Sea, by Tomm Moore (2014) 8/10

Beautiful

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
70. Gantz: O (2016)
This was a fairly mindless video game-esque plot with really terrible dialogue and a twist ending that barely merits a "yea, ok". I will say that it has some very well done and stylish action sequences and some interesting monster designs. Only watch if you feel like turning your brain off for a while.

71. Yogi Bear (2010)
Well, this was stupid. Much like pitying Bill Murray for Garfield, I felt bad for Dan Ackroyd in this one. I mean, I doubt he took it by accident though, so you, hard to feel too bad. The movie also managed to waste T.J. Miller and Andrew Daly too. I will say though, Daly seemed to make the most of the crap he was given and really gets into the chipper evil of his character.

72. Odyssey Into the Mind's Eye (1996)
Mind-blowing state of the art computer generated graphics from the far-flung future of 1995!! Marvel at the cut scenes from a Sega CD Ecco the Dolphin game! Watch a VR sequence from the laughably dated masterpiece Johnny Mnemonic! Also see a bunch of weird crap involving a roller coaster through a volcano and weird spasming pyramids! But wait, there's more! It's all set to the music of a former member of the band Kansas!!! What's not to love?

Merrily We Roll Along...

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
11. O Menino e o Mundo / Boy & the world (Brazil 13)
Extraordinary. I rarely buy DVDs these days but I'm gonna get this one - the "Making of" documentary is almost as stunning as the movie itself. (All those folks practicing speaking Portuguese backwards, for one thing....)

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
76. 9 (2009) - good animation, but lacking a plot, just a bunch of tropes
77. Pourquoi j'ai pas mangé mon père (2015) - aka the monkeys from the uncanny valley?
78. Le château des singes (1999) - More monkey business. Anyway, this one I actually the only animation movie I've seen getting made as we were on a school trip to Hungary in 1998 and visited the animation studio in Kecskemét that did some of the work on this film. I bought it on VHS when it was released later, but never got around to see it before now.

Directors: 2: Hideaki Anno, Stéphane Aubier, Don Bluth, Friz Freleng, Don Hertzfeldt, Len Lye, Steve Martino, Jimmy T. Murakami, Yuriy Norshteyn, Vincent Patar, Phil Roman, Makoto Shinkai, Jan Svankmajer, Genndy Tartakovsky

Features (63): USA: 32; France: 12; Japan: 8; Brazil: 2; UK: 2; Australia: 1; Belgium: 1; Czechoslovakia: 1: Hungary: 1; Ireland: 1; Norway: 1; Spain: 1

A life more animated

!seen 78

New awards this month:
Closest awards (off. chall.): 1 Animated BFI, 4 Animation imdb, 7 Top 100 Animated, 13 Annecy, 15 César, 30 100 French Times, 37 100 French TimeOut
Edited by albajos, Apr 19 2017, 07:42:45 PM.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
73. Kimi no na wa. (2016)
Really good movie with Shinkai returning to a very similar theme as his early short Hoshi no Koe of love across impossible distances. The visuals are gorgeous as would be expected and what initially seems like an entertaining but light body swap plot turns into something with much more heft in its stakes.

74. Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017)
While this wasn't without its problems (that selfie montage is fairly cringe-inducing), it is definitely a step up from Justice League vs. Teen Titans with a much more coherent narrative to follow through on.

75. Initial D: Extra Stage (2001)
I've somehow ended up watching way more Initial D than I would have otherwise because it's one of my brother's favorite shows. This light and fairly unnecessary OVA provides a little more character focus on Mako and Sayuki. They beat a guy in a race and hang out at a winter resort. That's about it. Of course, given that it's still Initial D-related, it still has painfully ugly CGI for the car sequences and unattractive, overly simplistic character designs with weird mouths.

Merrily We Roll Along...

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
79. Heavenly Sword (2014)

Features (64): USA: 33; France: 12; Japan: 8; Brazil: 2; UK: 2; Australia: 1; Belgium: 1; Czechoslovakia: 1: Hungary: 1; Ireland: 1; Norway: 1; Spain: 1

A life more animated

!seen 79

New awards this month:

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Click for films already seen

6. Arrietty (2010) REVISION

vortexsurfer
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
3. Ghost in the Shell (Mamoru Oshii, 1995)
4. Surf's Up (Ash Brannon, Chris Buck, 2007)
5. Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (John A. Davis, 2001)

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
04. Jûbê ninpûchô, by Yoshiaki Kawajiri & Kevin Seymour (1993) 7,5/10

Fun and inventive, visually stunning.

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
cinephage
Apr 20 2017, 03:35:43 PM
Jûbê ninpûchô, by Yoshiaki Kawajiri & Kevin Seymour
I've seen it before (Spring & Chaos I think), but why is Kevin Seymour listed there? Not much info online, but from I gather he acted as dub director? Is that enough to give him actual direction credits?

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Onderhond
Apr 20 2017, 04:31:27 PM
cinephage
Apr 20 2017, 03:35:43 PM
Jûbê ninpûchô, by Yoshiaki Kawajiri & Kevin Seymour
I've seen it before (Spring & Chaos I think), but why is Kevin Seymour listed there? Not much info online, but from I gather he acted as dub director? Is that enough to give him actual direction credits?
I didn't think about it, I just took the information from imdb. Wikipedia doesn't agree with imdb, according to it Seymour has nothing to do with the original movie. Wikipedia probably has the correct information, so I'll edit my post.

Samar
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
12. (s4a) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - ep1 (24min)
12. (s4b) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - ep2 (24min)
12. (s4c) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - ep3 (24 min)
12. (s4c) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - ep 4 (24 min) = ( Total 96 min)
13. The Adventures of Prince Achmed 1926

Looks like the competition is highly rising between albajos and Flavo5000, good luck you guys!
Edited by Samar, Apr 20 2017, 06:22:24 PM.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Samar
Apr 20 2017, 06:13:18 PM
12. (s4a) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - ep1 (24min)
12. (s4b) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - ep2 (24min)
12. (s4c) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - ep3 (24 min)
12. (s4c) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - ep 4 (24 min) = ( Total 96 min)
13. The Adventures of Prince Achmed 1926

Looks like the competition is highly rising between albajos and Flavo5000, good luck you guys!
Honestly I'll just be content to complete my personal goal of finishing the Paste Anime list before it becomes official (and with only two left, I'm definitely on track). :) Albajos, you can beat me! Don't slack off!

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
flavo5000
Apr 21 2017, 02:04:15 AM
Don't slack off!
I have work to do :ph43r:

(also I'm doing DtC nominations)

Also I have been at the library collecting stuff. But I'll wait with the Svankmajer collection to the end as it is nightmare fuel in it's purest form
Edited by albajos, Apr 21 2017, 09:15:08 AM.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
80. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008)
81.-82. Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003) 25 episodes - 130 min. (16).
Genndy Tartakovsky can make great action (as he showed with Samurai Jack), but the story is a bit lacking here, probably because of all the characters. Still, alot better than the 3D clone wars that came later.

Directors: 27: Genndy Tartakovsky
Directors: 2: Hideaki Anno, Stéphane Aubier, Don Bluth, Friz Freleng, Don Hertzfeldt, Len Lye, Steve Martino, Jimmy T. Murakami, Yuriy Norshteyn, Vincent Patar, Phil Roman, Makoto Shinkai, Jan Svankmajer

Features (64): USA: 33; France: 12; Japan: 8; Brazil: 2; UK: 2; Australia: 1; Belgium: 1; Czechoslovakia: 1: Hungary: 1; Ireland: 1; Norway: 1; Spain: 1
Episodes: (25): USA: 25

A life more animated

!seen 82

New awards this month:
Edited by albajos, Apr 22 2017, 06:52:29 AM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
12. Phantom Boy (Fr 15)

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
albajos
Apr 21 2017, 05:30:16 AM
flavo5000
Apr 21 2017, 02:04:15 AM
Don't slack off!
I have work to do :ph43r:

(also I'm doing DtC nominations)

Also I have been at the library collecting stuff. But I'll wait with the Svankmajer collection to the end as it is nightmare fuel in it's purest form
Nightmare fuel? For sure. And yet, also strangely compelling...

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
76. Dallos (1983)
This one seems to only be notable for two reasons. 1) It is the first OVA ever released apparently, and 2) it's an early effort from Mamoru Oshii. Overall it's pretty middling, but I did find it interesting that it explored some of Oshii's later themes of cybernetic world building and what it means to be alive, explored better and more thoroughly in later stuff like GitS and Patlabor.

77. Project A-Ko 2: Daitokuji zaibatsu no inbô (1987)
Second verse, same as the first! Yea, if you enjoyed Project A-ko's over-the-top wacky action comedy featuring A-Ko and B-ko fighting over the obnoxiously stupid C-ko amidst giant mech battles, then you'll find more to like here. This is one of those "take or leave it" kind of things with me.

78. Tijuana Toads: The DePatie/Freleng Collection
Watching all of these back to back is probably not the best way to experience them. I found myself getting burned out pretty quickly on the hi-jinx of a couple of dumb Mexican frogs, even when they'd try to mix it up a little throwing Crazy Legs Crane or a John Wayne toad into the mix.

79. Initial D: Battle Stage (2002)
This was the epitome of tedium for me. It's essentially an OVA that compiles and remasters just the races from the first three seasons or so of Initial D. If you like watching poorly CG-animated cars drift around corners for an hour, this is your thang!

80. Freaknik: The Musical (2010)
Courtesy of Adult Swim and what I can only guess is a lot of drugs, we have a sort of rap musical featuring T-Pain as the ghost of a huge party animal throwing the Freaknik Festival and rap battle with cash prize in Atlanta. The Sweet Tea Mob, made up of some random guys played by Young Cash, Rick Ro$$, Cee-Lo Green (woefully underutilized) and DJ Pooh set out to win the festival. I don't hate Rick Ross and Young Cash but I definitely would've wanted more Cee-Lo. It had a lot of entertaining cameos from the likes of Lil Jon, Bill Hader, Andy Samberg, and Parliament among others but it would've been nice if it'd been more coherent.

Merrily We Roll Along...

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
83. Les maîtres du temps (1982)
84. Metoroporisu (2001)
85. Titanic - La leggenda continua (2000) - still better than Foodfight!
86. La leggenda del Titanic (1999) - and with that I've seen all animation on the bottom 100 on imdb. Foodfight is still worst, even as this one is completely incoherent.
87. Aachi & Ssipak (2006)

Directors: 27: Genndy Tartakovsky
Directors: 2: Hideaki Anno, Stéphane Aubier, Don Bluth, Friz Freleng, Don Hertzfeldt, Len Lye, Steve Martino, Jimmy T. Murakami, Yuriy Norshteyn, Vincent Patar, Phil Roman, Makoto Shinkai, Jan Svankmajer

Features (69): USA: 33; France: 13; Japan: 9; Brazil: 2; Italy: 2; UK: 2; Australia: 1; Belgium: 1; Czechoslovakia: 1: Hungary: 1; Ireland: 1; Norway: 1; South Korea: 1; Spain: 1
Episodes: (25): USA: 25
311 animated features and shorts in official lists left.

A life more animated

!seen 87

New awards this month:
Closest awards (off. chall.): 1 Animated BFI, 4 Animation imdb, 6 Top 100 Animated, 13 Annecy, 15 César, 30 100 French Times, 37 100 French TimeOut
Edited by albajos, Apr 22 2017, 06:46:48 PM.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
81. Wings of Honneamise (1987)
Really good! I think it's strongest suit is the exceptional world building of this alternate Earth with many of the strong attention to detail and experimental sequences that Gainax would continue to be known for. Unlike many Gainax ventures, it really follows through on its ending though.

82. Epic (2013)
Pretty predictable but mildly entertaining adventure of a girl that gets shrunk down and has to help protect a bloom chosen to create the next queen of this race of tiny people. Great casting decisions on the comedy relief though with Cris O Dowd and Aziz Anzari. It's too bad the script doesn't give them much to work with.

83. Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction (2014)
While I'm not calling this a masterpiece by any stretch (and maybe the recently watched crappy Yu-Gi-Oh movie is coloring my opinion a little as well) but this one really wasn't half bad. It has been quite a while since I've seen any Pokemon movies but this one seems a little higher quality than some prior with a mildly more in-depth plot that feels like it has some stakes to it beyond capturing gyms.

84. Ninja Gaiden (1991)
For anyone curious about where this OVA falls in the Ninja Gaiden lore (yea, who knew?), it takes place chronology last after part II (part III takes place between 1 & 2). There's really not a whole here to recommend as it's a pretty standard ninja fighting demons and bio-engineered monsters fare.

85. Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo (2004)
For some weird reason, the Winnie the Pooh universe decided to do A Christmas Carol but on Easter with the narrator acting in lieu of the ghosts, harassing rabbit about being an asshole, why he used to be an asshole and why he needs to stop being an asshole in the future (spoiler alert: being an asshole will cause you to lose all your friends).

86. Junkers Come Here (1995)
This one strikes kind of an odd tone. While it does have a talking alien dog, the movie plays it so low key, one actually forgets about it from time to time. It generally feels more in line with some of the more mellow Studio Ghibli films such as Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart with the focus more on the emotional impact of the main character's isolation and parents' impending divorce. It's good, but don't expect wacky shenanigans as the box art may lead you to believe.

Merrily We Roll Along...

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
88. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip (2015)
89. Hokus pokus Albert Åberg (2013) - From Torill Kove. She won an Academy Award for The Danish Poet, and has been nominated several times.
90. (s16a) Symphony in Slang (1951) 7 min.
90. (s16b) Ugly Duckling (1939) 9 min.
90. (s16c) Adazhio (2000) 10 min.
90. (s16d) The Bead Game (1977) 6 min.
90. (s16e) Das Rad (2003) 8 min.
90. (s16f) Father and Daughter (2000) 8 min.
91. (s17a) Fétiche (1933) 26 min.
91. (s17b) Motion Painting No. 1 (1947) 11 min.
91. (s17c) Strojenie instrumentów (2000) 15 min.
91. (s17d) Den stora Philipsrevyn 1938 (1938) 8 min.
94. (s18a) Madame Tutli-Putli (2007) 17 min.
92. Gedo senki (2006)
94. (s18b) Jumping (1984) 7 min.
94. (s18c) Seryy Volk end Krasnaya Shapochka (1991) 27 min.
93. Krysar (1986)
94. (s18d) Son smeshnogo cheloveka (1992) 20 min.
95. (s19a) Lily and Jim (1997) 13 min.
95. (s19b) Heavenly Puss (1949) 8 min.
95. (s19c) Gymnopédies (1965) 6 min.
95. (s19d) Yantra (1957) 8 min.
95. (s19e) The Worm Turns (1937) 8 min.
95. (s19f) Jitterbug Follies (1939) 9 min.
96. (s20a) Bydlo (2012) 9 min.
96. (s20b) Dock Ellis & The LSD No-No (2010) 5 min.
96. (s20c) Son (1988) 11 min.
96. (s20d) Die Nashörner (1964) 10 min.
96. (s20e) Pereval (1988) 31 min. (13)
97. Deddo ribusu (2004)

Passed 100 shorts today, and most of those are because of the DtC nominations and the Jeff Beck list. I haven't even started on my own collections of norwegian shorts on DVD and Blu-Ray. With those, Annecy and all the Svankmajer shorts I should easily pass 150 in the last week.

Directors
Country of origin

A life more animated

!seen 97 - 297 animated features and shorts in official lists left.

New awards this month:
Bronze: Fantasy Cinema: Impossible Worlds on Screen, Shorts
Closest awards (off. chall.): 1 Animated BFI, 4 Animation imdb, 6 Top 100 Animated, 9 Annecy, 15 César, 30 100 French Times, 37 100 French TimeOut
Edited by albajos, Apr 24 2017, 09:37:07 AM.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
87. Genius Party (2007)
Another wildly entertaining Studio 4℃ effort with the only weak link in the bunch being "Limit Cycle" with it's pseudo-psycho babble and fairly generic by comparison office drone animation. "Shanghai Dragon" and "Doorbell" were probably my favorites but there were things to look about all the rest of them.

88. Arion (1986)
For this one, I would absolutely not try to map this to the actual Greek mythology it, at surface level, seems to follow. Overall it's a pretty decent mission quest type anime, but it plays it very fast and loose with the Greek deities and how they relate to one another as well as what their roles are. Try to just appreciate it for what it is and not what it's pretending to be.

89. Jack and the Cuckoo-Clock Heart (2013)
I really dug this weird, surrealist Tim Burton-esque story. The visuals were very appropriate to the subject matter, and the music was mostly pretty great (a rarity in this kind of movie). Although it could be mistaken as such, I'd hesitate to recommend it as a family film though.

Merrily We Roll Along...

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
98. The Wild Thornberrys Movie (2002)
99. Elias og kongeskipet (2007)
Still have three norwegian feature films left (but only one I currently have access to) I'll do a short history of animation in Norway:
As some of you know, Flåklypa Grand Prix is the number one film of all time in Norway with about 5 million sold tickets. It was also the first (stop motion) animated movie in Norway. But even with this success we didn't get another feature for 20 years. And Flåklypa wasn't even revisited before 25 years had passed.
Still, the sucess of FGP in 1975 did well to promote the need for a public animation study in Norway. And since then we have had many shorts at least. Many of them in co-operation with Canada. And this co-operation finally ended in an Academy Award a decade ago. But outside of Torill Kove (which does 2D) and Pjotr Sapegin (which does stop motion) there isnt reallly any famous animators.
So we got the first feature film 40 years ago, but it wasn't before the 3D became easier to use about 10 years ago that we almost make one every year. We even made the TV-series Elias, which is distributed in the US as "Boats" (!). But our features doesn't make any risks. Either transforming already franchises from live action or 2D to 3D. Or using national heavyweight literature as norwegian fairytales.
Flåklypa went the whole path. Stop motion in 1975. 2D in 1998, and two 3D movies in the last few years.

Other franchises: Elias spawned two 3D movies. Pelle Politibil was both a live action TV series/movie, but is transformed to two 3D movies. Kaptein Sabeltann: Stageplay to 2D. Fairytales and Children's stories: Begynnelsen på en historie, Nå skal du høre ..., Klatremus og de andre dyrene i Hakkebakkeskogen. Or they direct movies based on well-known swedish stories: Albert Åberg and Karlsson på taket. So the only original IPs has been Slipp Jimmy fri (based on a young adult comic), and Kurt blir grusom (A new childrens book)

But none of these get close to the quality of the stop motion feature and shorts of the 60s and 70s :/

Directors
Country of origin

A life more animated

!seen 99 - 297 animated features and shorts in official lists left.

New awards this month:
Closest awards (off. chall.): 1 Animated BFI, 4 Animation imdb, 6 Top 100 Animated, 9 Annecy, 15 César, 30 100 French Times, 37 100 French TimeOut
Edited by albajos, Apr 24 2017, 12:40:59 PM.

vortexsurfer
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
6. Megamind (Tom McGrath, 2010)

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
albajos
Apr 24 2017, 09:39:31 AM
98. The Wild Thornberrys Movie (2002)
99. Elias og kongeskipet (2007)
Still have three norwegian feature films left (but only one I currently have access to) I'll do a short history of animation in Norway:
As some of you know, Flåklypa Grand Prix is the number one film of all time in Norway with about 5 million sold tickets. It was also the first (stop motion) animated movie in Norway. But even with this success we didn't get another feature for 20 years. And Flåklypa wasn't even revisited before 25 years had passed.
Still, the sucess of FGP in 1975 did well to promote the need for a public animation study in Norway. And since then we have had many shorts at least. Many of them in co-operation with Canada. And this co-operation finally ended in an Academy Award a decade ago. But outside of Torill Kove (which does 2D) and Pjotr Sapegin (which does stop motion) there isnt reallly any famous animators.
So we got the first feature film 40 years ago, but it wasn't before the 3D became easier to use about 10 years ago that we almost make one every year. We even made the TV-series Elias, which is distributed in the US as "Boats" (!). But our features doesn't make any risks. Either transforming already franchises from live action or 2D to 3D. Or using national heavyweight literature as norwegian fairytales.
Flåklypa went the whole path. Stop motion in 1975. 2D in 1998, and two 3D movies in the last few years.

Other franchises: Elias spawned two 3D movies. Pelle Politibil was both a live action TV series/movie, but is transformed to two 3D movies. Kaptein Sabeltann: Stageplay to 2D. Fairytales and Children's stories: Begynnelsen på en historie, Nå skal du høre ..., Klatremus og de andre dyrene i Hakkebakkeskogen. Or they direct movies based on well-known swedish stories: Albert Åberg and Karlsson på taket. So the only original IPs has been Slipp Jimmy fri (based on a young adult comic), and Kurt blir grusom (A new childrens book)

But none of these get close to the quality of the stop motion feature and shorts of the 60s and 70s :/

Directors
Country of origin

A life more animated

!seen 99 - 297 animated features and shorts in official lists left.

New awards this month:
Interesting write up. I've seen fgp and knew it was the highest grossing film in Norway, but that was where my knowledge of this area stopped. What film won an academy award?

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
The Danish Poet / Den danske dikteren (2006) But it was kind of cheating using Liv Ullmann as a narrator :)

Torill Kove has also been nominated for My Grandmother Ironed the King's Shirts (1999) and Me and My Moulton (2014). So she's been nominated for every short she's done

The other Academy Award to Norway was for Kon-Tiki as documentary in the 50s, so it is kind of a big deal

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone