Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Westerns Challenge; Official; May 2017
Topic Started: Apr 30 2017, 02:00:27 AM (5,025 Views)
sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Goal
Watch as many westerns as you can from May 1, 2017 to May 31, 2017.

What is a Western?
- Any film listed as a Western on IMDb automatically qualifies
- Any film listed in one of the Official lists below automatically qualifies
- Any other film that you genuinely believe to be a Western qualifies. You should be prepared to back up your reasoning though! There needs to be a sensible reason for you to classify a film as Western. You are not allowed to include Toy Story or Midnight Cowboy because "there is a character that wears cowboy suit in it", etc. :folded:

Rules
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- The miniseries rule applies (episodes over 40 mins count as one entry, otherwise add episodes up to 60 minutes to count as one entry).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul. Please mark which films are revisions. If I get the chance, I'll post some related statistics.

Stuck for ideas of what to watch? Look no further:

Official Lists
100 Essential Westerns
Spaghetti Westerns
IMDb Top Western Films

Non-Official Lists
How The West Was Shot
100 Western Masterpieces
Sky Movies' Top 100 Westerns
Alternative Westerns (under 250 checks)

Want more lists? Consult kasparius.

Participating in the TSP Challenge also this month? Some films qualify for both challenges if you are feeling ambitious.

This thread will be updated at least twice a day (more often if I am around and feel like it). Since I am updating manually, I would prefer you to list new films seen in a new post, however, I will be skimming all ballots if you would prefer just to endlessly edit your original post.

Not sure how to format your post? Check out the basic rules thread from mighty sparks.

Participants

Wild Westerner
First Time ViewingsRevision ViewingsTotal Viewings

PUNQ

72allinn callme

jdidaco

psychotronic beatnik (Revisions winner)

flavo

albajos

fr brown

klaus78

sol

HVM

Cynical Cinephile

Vincent Price

Mochard

cinephage

Nathan

wowwee

connor denney

afirm

RGB

3eyes

blocho

orama

weirdboy

Edited by sol, Jun 1 2017, 11:48:31 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll watch a few.

What about Easterns (e.g.Siberia, Mongolia), Northerns (e.g Ofelas), Southerns (e.g. The man from Snowy River)?
Edited by 3eyes, Apr 30 2017, 03:03:20 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

log89
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Count me in.

vortexsurfer
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I'm in.

I tried to do 3 challenges this month, which is probably 2 too many. I'll only be doing this one in May so hopefully I can see a decent amount of westerns.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes
Apr 30 2017, 02:47:31 AM
What about Easterns (e.g.Siberia, Mongolia), Northerns (e.g Ofelas), Southerns (e.g. The man from Snowy River)?
I don't know. What was the ruling on Easterns, Northerns and Southerns last time the Challenge was run?

I am usually a 'more the merrier' sort of person myself, but I don't want to step on any toes by making precedents.

Oh, and for what it's worth, The Man from Snowy River is currently listed as a Western on IMDb, so that one is certainly eligible.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kasparius May 2 2016
08:04:50 PM
3eyes
May 1 2016, 07:34:53 PM
Kas, you mention Easterns - how about Northerns, such as the films of Nils Gaup? - which tend to be historical with a focus on Lapps / Sami.
The Osterns (Red Westerns) are an Eastern take on the Western genre. I'm not familiar with Nils Gaup, but if his films are Westerns in disguise then sure you can count them.
That would seem to be a yes, though as outlined in the OP, my main criterion is that you in your heart believe that a film deserves to be included in a Western Challenge thread.

weirdboy
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I will watch some Westerns.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm ready for my first challenge on icm, count me in! Western is far from my favorite genre, but I have a few interesting titles lined up.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There are some high profile westerns that I ashamedly still haven't seen. I may as well use this to finally get to them. Count me in.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
In. :cowboy:

jdidaco
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
In. Thanks for hosting, sol.

klaus78
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. Still have the last season of Deadwood left, probably won't watch much else though.

PUNQ
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
The reigning Western Challenge CHAMPION will show up to defend his territory....

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
interesting info on subgenres / offshoots:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_(genre)

@sol: I'm not an aficionado of the genre and I can see that the basic plots (good guys defending oppressed little guys, newcomers vs indigenous, loner vs vested interests, etc., taking place mostly in wide open spaces - can be (over)stretched in many ways. As far as Nils Gaup goes, I feel in my heart that both Ofelas and The Kautokeino rebellion are Westerns. The former, of course, is set in Viking times.

And then there are things like Himalaya, centering on who is best suited to lead the annual yak drive through the mountains of Nepal to trade for salt.
Edited by 3eyes, Apr 30 2017, 01:11:57 PM.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Gaup used the Hollywood way of telling a story, which we usually didn't do, but no, I cant agree that those are westerns. Then there is no limit to them, Braveheart, Seven Samurai (making it full circle), or movies that that great inspiration from the genre, like Star Wars.

But that's just my two cents. Seems all challenges here are very subjective. If you think it fits, it fits.

imdb definition

Edited by albajos, Apr 30 2017, 01:23:52 PM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
albajos
Apr 30 2017, 01:15:37 PM
Gaup used the Hollywood way of telling a story, which we usually didn't do, but no, I cant agree that those are westerns. Then there is no limit to them, Braveheart, Seven Samurai (making it full circle), or movies that that great inspiration from the genre, like Star Wars.

But that's just my two cents. Seems all challenges here are very subjective. If you think it fits, it fits.

imdb definition

Yes, that's the problem. The genre touches on so many universal themes. Comes down to whether you're a J or a P, I guess. (Myers-Briggs) :whistling:
Edited by 3eyes, Apr 30 2017, 01:56:25 PM.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Let's get this party started!

1. A time for dying (1969) 5.5/10
Billy Pimple; the most badass name on a villain ever!

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
In

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Westworld (1973) 6.25/10

Decent enough. A bit cheesy at times though.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by 72allinncallme, May 1 2017, 12:32:19 AM.

blocho
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Already time for another Westerns challenge!

But where's Kasparius? Isn't this usually his shindig? Not to minimize Sol--I just want to check if he's still around and OK.

Mochard
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in - got a few westerns to watch. Might try to close in on the 100 essential westerns list - got 34 left.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
01. Daisy Town (1971)
02. Lucky Luke (2009) - I didn't plan this, but this one is also in Daisy Town :)
03. Lucky Luke (1991) - and still not leaving Daisy Town. They don't even try to make Hill look like Luke. Hill was 52 at the time, and he looks old. But this movie do have some of the beste horse acting I've seen.
04. 3:10 to Yuma (1957)
05. 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
06. Carry on Cowboy (1965)

Riding into the s... Man on Fire! Man on Fire!

!seen 6

I usually don't watch westerns but I'll try to view the 5 westerns I'm missing in official lists, and every DVD I own I haven't watched (which I think is 2). With Terrence Hill movies and maybe some more Lucky Luke I could probably try for 15 in total this month.
Edited by albajos, May 1 2017, 08:17:17 PM.

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
1. Man and a Colt-1967: 7/10

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. My Darling Clementine (1946), John Ford- recommended
The story of the famous shootout at the OK Corral in Tombstone Arizona. It’s one of those westerns that does everything right, but there’s nothing in it that sets it apart from the rest either. From the first few moments we know who the antagonists will be, we know that something will push our hero into conflict with them (that something is also very predictable). Still, there’s a lot to like in this one, especially the dynamic between Wyatt Earp, played by Henry Fonda, and Doc Holliday, played by Victor Mature.
Edited by Cynical Cinephile, May 2 2017, 06:53:05 AM.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Silverado (1985)

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
3. Gangsters of The frontier (1944) 6/10
" As our country grows, more and more you'll find men and women marching and fighting side by side"

4. The way of The west (1934) 2,5/10
Very poor acting and editing.

5. The daughter of Dawn (1920) 7/10
Same ol' story, different suroundings. Some of the titlecards have incredible beatiful artwork on them.
Btw: My check numero 3000!

6. Spirit: Stallion of The Cimarron (2002) 7/10
" Sometimes a horse has got to do what a horse has got to do"

7. Dead Man (1995) 9,25/10 (l)
"Do you know my poetry?" One of the best film's I've seen all year!

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
7 movies, and the time is 15:00. Hope you get some sleep as well

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
I can sleep in June. Nah, got a solid 5-6 hours sleep last night. If Margaret Thatcher could survive on that, so could I. And I have far less responsibilty :lol:

klaus78
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. The Wonderful Country (1959) 6/10

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sure why not?

For those who want to multitask:

Westerns on TSPDT

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
2. The Fastest Gun Alive-1956: 8/10

klaus78
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]

2. The Wild Bunch (1969) [rewatch] 7.5/10

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
8. Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) 7.75/10
Great cast!

9. Destry Rides Again (1939) 6.25/10
"I used to know a fellow once..." This must be my lowest ranked Stewart movie, it was just too noisy and silly.

10. Run of the arrow (1957) 7.5/10
A more manly and fast-paced Dances with Wolves

11. Savage Pampas (1966) 6.5/10
My first "Real" 4K UHD blu-ray played on my new TV. Looked amazing. The movie itself, meh...

12. Winchester '73 (1950) 7.5/10
That's more like it Stewart!

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
3. Barricade-1950: 6/10

Average at best but I just for whatever reason can't help enjoying Technicolor Westerns on some level.

PUNQ
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
72allinncallme
May 1 2017, 01:37:12 PM
I can sleep in June. Nah, got a solid 5-6 hours sleep last night. If Margaret Thatcher could survive on that, so could I. And I have far less responsibilty :lol:
A competitor.... I accept the challenge :shoot:

I'm starting with all the lesser known westerns from the past couple of years that I have at my disposal. Going to be a few stinkers, but I love westerns and it's not like there are that many made these days, so I might as well do 'em all.

1. Western Religion (2015, James O'Brien) - 3/10
--- Tries hard to impress, even if it has nothing to impress with. A very uneven bunch of no-name actors making things painful and humorous at the same time. What carries this western poker tournament was director James O'Brien shooting it using ever western trick in the book to make it look cool. Can't say it felt very authentic, and I guess that's where the spiritual element comes in, for people can't come across real anymore and that's why they stuffed this with that ridiculous devil stuff to cover it up. Regardless of it's many faults, it manages to entertain in a bizarre way.

2. Kill or Be Killed (2015, Duane Graves & Justin Meeks) - 2/10
--- A mess of a outlaw slasher! Has a few ideas and no idea how to make sense of it all. All about bloody killing and no damn substance.

3. Calamity Jane's Revenge (2015, Henrique Couto) - 1/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Oh, what a calamity! Fun to see former WWE wrestler Al Snow having a go at acting. He was easily the most likable thing in this muck of western. A real stinker of the cheapest kind and pretty much the worst western of 2015!

4. Five Grand (2015, Orson Ossman & Tyler Graham Pavey) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Someone wanted to make a western. Wrote, directed and starred in it themselves. Brought in the family for the other parts and hired one familiar face (Eric Roberts) to have him killed 3 minutes into the film for cred. This had no chance to be good. What positive I can say, is that it started better than it had the right too. After that it just drifted and was uninteresting.

5. The Legend of Ben Hall (2016, Matthew Holmes) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Welcome to the wild Aussie west! And the story of their outlaw Ben Hall. The film is too long, drifting and repeating what a outlaw must do, but it's a well crafted Kangaroo western. Could have needed some recognizable faces, but even without it managed to communicate the story without getting too cheesy about the legend of his gang. With that said, The Legend of Ben Hall (2016) is not a film that stands out that much.

6. Brimstone (2016, Martin Koolhoven) - 6/10
--- Dark story from the old west, as a young woman tries to escape sadistic Reverend Guy Pearce. A real nasty one, full of violence and immorality. Takes a interesting narrative structure as well, telling the story backwards in chapters, which helps it give it that extra edge as you realize what's happening. Takes itself a little too serious in it's overly serious approach. Also it's a shock western, relying a little too heavily on brutality to reach it's emotional effect. But there are a lot moments with hard impact and it great to see Pearce in such a evil role!

Mochard
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. The Westerner (1940) - 8/10

Off to a great start. Loved it.

Drank 1 shot of whisky!

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2.Stagecoach (1939), John Ford- recommended
A group of strangers travels together on a Stagecoach from Tonto, Arizona to Lordsburg, New Mexico through Apache territory lead by the infamous Geronimo. Among the people in the stagecoach is a prison escapee looking for vengeance in Lordsburg, played by John Wayne, a marshal looking to bring the man back to prison, a prostitute and a drunkard doctor who are banished from Tonto, a high class lady searching for her husband, a US Army captain and a couple of others whose roles are relatively minor compared to these. The film revolves around interactions between these people on their trip and their conflicting intentions as to what to do in face of danger. Culmination has a terrific action sequence when we finally get to see Apaches in action.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Already seen (with one word comments)

2. Calamity Jane (1953) - delightful
3. El Dorado (1967) - enthralling!
Edited by sol, May 2 2017, 12:38:04 PM.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
07. Gang of Roses (2003) - probably the worst western I've ever seen. One small cameo by Mario Van Peebles makes you long for a much better movie.
08. Shane (1953)
09. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
10. Seven Men from Now (1956)
11. Lo chiamavano Trinità... (1970)
(s1a) The Great Train Robbery (1903) 11 min.

Goal: Johnny Guitar (1954), McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971), My Darling Clementine (1946), The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), Præriens skrappe drenge (1970), Shane (1953), Soldier Blue (1970), The Wind (1928)

Riding into the s... Man on Fire! Man on Fire!

!seen 11

New awards this month:
Silver (1): Crime
Bronze (2): Roger Ebert: the great movies, Western
Closest awards (off. chall.): 12 Western, 21 Spaghetti Westerns, 25 Essential Westerns, 90 TSPDT, 94 Brief Encounters, 116 Blues
Edited by albajos, May 2 2017, 08:58:31 PM.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3. Johnny Guitar (1954), Nicholas Ray - favorite
It’ll be tough to top this one as my favorite western of this challenge. Joan Crawford stars as Vienna, an independent woman in a time when that wasn’t the norm (obviously). She owns a saloon on a piece of land which value is expected to increase significantly because of the railroad expected to pass there. Because of this, she has a couple of notable enemies in a nearby town who are looking for a way to get rid of her. There are two men in her life, one is the Dancing Kid, a leader of a gang who gets accused of basically every crime that happens in the area, all in attempt to connect Vienna to them; the other man is a mysterious guitar player, who has a history with her. Cinematography is great, both outdoors, there are some terrific shots of explosions of sedimentary rocks in the mountains; and indoors, mostly in the saloon, particularly the scene in which Vienna confronts the citizens while playing her piano late in the film. The strongest virtue, however, is the screenplay, the 2 main characters are very well written, their chemistry feels real and they’re each other’s equal; dialogue is another aspect of the screenplay that’s terrific, offering plenty of memorable quotes.

3 bullets shot so far
Edited by Cynical Cinephile, May 2 2017, 12:27:49 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone