Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Westerns Challenge; Official; May 2017
Topic Started: Apr 30 2017, 02:00:27 AM (5,685 Views)
72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quick question: Is it kosher to see Grizzly Man (2005) for this challenge? :lol:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The computer says no

PUNQ
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
The 2nd day brings very little quality, but good for quantity. Exhausting and frustrating, mainly. Even for someone like me who is used to this pace, this was a tough day. At least that finishes the modern westerns I had planned to see.

7. Stagecoach: The Texas Jack Story (2016, Terry Miles) - 2/10
--- Stagecoach: The Texas Jack Story (2016) is a low intensity western with no production values to speak about. What makes it somewhat passable is a interesting cast for such a low budget release. Stars country singer Trace Adkins and a barely recognizable Judd Nelson under a beard. The rest of the cast is filled with actors with a decent enough TV careers, so it's not just one of those cheap movie where they get their friends together to fill the parts, which often happens. Not that it saves this from being a irrelevant wild west film.

8. Traded (2016, Timothy Woodward Jr.) - 3/10
--- The people saying this is a western rip-off of Taken franchise are absolutely right. Michael Paré takes the Liam Neeson role looking for his daughter being Traded (2016) all over the place. Highlight is crossing paths with Kris Kristofferson as a bartender and a friend in need. Regardless of a action-packed plot and some familiar faces, this is a typical low budget affair with limited appeal.

9. Wild Bill Hickok: Swift Justice (2016, Dan Garcia) - 1/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Bottom of the barrel western. Funny enough the actors took their roles serious to almost break the suspension of disbelief, but in this type of no-budget production nothing is believable. Just a stupid film exploiting the name of 'Wild' Bill Hickok.

10. Dead 7 (2016, Danny Roew) - 2/10
--- The Asylum, in association with *NSYNC, presents The Backstreet Boys' POST-APOCALYPTIC ZOMBIE WESTERN.... Dead 7 (2016)!!! Yes, crazy as it sounds, this does exist. It's the mockbuster for The Magnificent Seven (2016). I don't really need to say more, do I? My rating includes plus-points for letting something so ridiculous go into production.

11. Six Gun Savior (2016, Kirk Murray) - 1/10
--- Cowboys and Devil spirits. Just stupid.... the type of film where you actually lose a few braincells watching.

12. The Duel (2016, Kieran Darcy-Smith) - 3/10
--- The Duel (2016) has a solid production and a couple of well-known names attached to it. Doesn't stop it from being a bore, though, even if they go The Most Dangerous Game on some poor Mexicans. Just very little outside of the two leads and people in general didn't have the best of chemistry in a slow moving psychological western at the border. Disappointing. Had potential.

13. JL Ranch (2016, Charles Robert Carner) - 2/10
--- Hallmark movies goes out west. Well, the modern west anyway. Jon Voight does wear a cowboy hat and it uses the old 'missing deed to the ranch' plot. Many familiar faces are brought in. All passed their sell-by date, even the young ones, and doesn't enhance the usual cozy/pointless feel of a Hallmark film.

14. Outlaws and Angels (2016, JT Mollner) - 3/10
--- Outlaws and Angels (2016) is a filthy slow western. Had the chance to be filled with awesome disgusting moments, but fumbles it to the pointless....

Spoiler: click to toggle

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
13. The Invaders (1912) 6.75/10
Deserves to be on a list or two.

14. The Rawhide Terror (1934) 3/10
Yeah, dunno if I care to watch more B-western from the 30'

15a. Rustlers (2012) 2/10 3min
15b. Definetly Dead (2012) 6/10... 18 min
15c. The gunfighter (2014) 9/10... 9min
15d. Arie prerie (1964)6/10... 23 min
15e. The legend of Coyote Rock (1945) 6/10. 7min
= 60 min of shorts

16. Western (2014) 6/10
Documentary on Netflix.

17. Ride lonesome (1959) 7/10
Tits!

18. The hired hand (1971) 8.5/10
Can't believe this is not on the 500<400 list.

19. Gold (1932) 2.5/10
The quality of this rip was almost as bad as the movie.

20. The great K & A train Robbery (1926) 8/10
Plenty of action, plenty of fun!

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Yeehaw, pardner, I'm in the Western Round-Up!

total: 3
FTVs: 3

1. Born To the West (1937) Charles Barton / FTV 5/1 / Rating: 8 / John Wayne in a giant white hat with Johnny Mack Brown as a co-star in a Zane Grey story - what a great way to begin this round-up. AKA: Hell Town.

2. Dodge City (1939) Michael Curtiz / FTV 5/1 / Rating: 6 / A bit dodgy. Neither Errol Flynn or Michael Curtiz feel comfortable with the western at this point. Alan Hale easily steals the film.

3. The Bargain (1914) Reginald Barker / FTV 5/1 / Rating: 8 / William S. Hart has one of those chiseled faces that seems made for westerns.

My Round-up so far:

jdidaco
No Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
These first two weeks of the Challenge I'll be focusing on American westerns, with a special emphasis on the 50s. I couldn't have started on a higher note, particularly with Sherman's 'Dawn at Socorro' and Ludwig's 'The Gun Hawk', the absolute highlights in a batch of some offbeat westerns.

1. Saddle Tramp (1950) - Hugo Fregonese. 8/10

“Creepin’ creepers, what a country!”

2. Powder River (1953) - Louis King. 8/10

- “I blew up again.”
- “Yeah, but nobody died. You’re getting better.”

3. Dawn at Socorro (1954) - George Sherman. 10/10

- “Who’s coming after you?”
- “My past. Every dark, miserable day of it.”

4. Four Guns to the Border (1954) - Richard Carlson. 8/10

“They say Indians don’t talk much. But give them some smoke and they chatter like women at a church social.”

5. Stranger on Horseback (1955) - Jacques Tourneur. 7.5/10

- "Thanks, it's a hot day."
- "I don't like what you said."
- "I said it was a hot day."
- "Well, I don't like the way you said it."

6. Raw Edge (1956) - John Sherwood. 8/10

- “That six-gun won’t cut a tree as easy as an ax will. And we use a trap to get furs.”
- “I’ll try to remember that.”

7. Red Sundown (1956) - Jack Arnold. 8/10

“You know, I don’t know what you have against gunfighters. You got to have gunfighters. Wouldn’t be right not to. It’s be like not having rattlers in the desert.”

8. The Gun Hawk (1963) - Edward Ludwig. 9/10

“Ain’t nothing like a good fight to wake a man up, is there? Matter of fact, that’s my philosophy, you know? Start the day off with a good fight and end it with a bad woman. It’s a lot easier to find a fight, though.”

9. A Time for Dying (1969) - Budd Boetticher. 7/10

“I don’t care what you do. You just go ahead and let those poster fellas blow your fat head off if that’s what you want. And they will. Anyone of them.”

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. The Misfits

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
12. The Wind (1928)
13. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
14. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) - consent?

Goal: Johnny Guitar (1954), McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971), My Darling Clementine (1946), The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), Præriens skrappe drenge (1970), Shane (1953), Soldier Blue (1970), The Wind (1928)

Riding into the s... Man on Fire! Man on Fire!

!seen 14

New awards this month:
Silver (1): Crime
Bronze (3): Cahiers du cinéma 100, Roger Ebert: the great movies, Western
Closest awards (off. chall.): 10 Western, 21 Spaghetti Westerns, 24 Essential Westerns, 87 TSPDT, 92 Brief Encounters, 116 Blues
Edited by albajos, May 3 2017, 02:29:57 PM.

connordenney
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson (Robert Altman, 1976)

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in this month, but I'll be a lot more lax about it than the last couple of years.

1-4. Lonesome Dove (1989) 7.5/10
5. Il mercenario (1968) 6.5/10

Django Rides Some More!

PUNQ
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
A very productive day 3 taking care of all the pre-1940 westerns I had lined up. A rare selection and even if the quality wasn't all that, it's much easier on the head to watch stinkers from the old days than it is watching those crappy ones from today. Tomorrow it's the westerns I have from 1941. That should keep me busy a week.

15. $50,000 Reward (1924, Clifford S. Elfelt) - 4/10
--- $50,000 Reward (1924) is first starring role of western star Ken Maynard. I've only seen one of his silent western before, so I was thrilled to see some more from when he broke in. And one can say he's much more at home in silent cinema as opposed to his awkwardly cheap sound production. He never seemed comfortable talking in front of a camera and here he could just be at ease as the hunky cowboy fighting off the money greedy baddies. Naturally this wasn't a priority western, so production values are basic and it's pretty standard as far as silent western goes, except for throwing in a few sexy chorus girls to flock around the new western hero, so it's not a must-see picture. Still, as far as Maynard's concerned, it's one of his important ones. Easy pleasing, that's all.

16. The Avenger (1931, Roy William Neill) - 5/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Great to discover more early talkies of Buck Jones. He was probable the cowboy in the best position during the 30s, still getting mildly decent budgets for his films when everybody else had to make westerns with basically nothing. That means that his films usually looks better, and that can certainly be said about The Avenger (1931)! In a way the production feels more like silent seeing how nicely the shots are framed and the way they use shadows. There is something noir about a lot of it. The film is still only meant to be a quick 1-hour fix, so it's limited how deep it goes, but I felt they paced and delivered the direct action very satisfyingly for a B-western at Columbia Pictures when they were still one of the minor studios.

17. Gun Smoke (1931, Edward Sloman) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- City gangsters travel out west to stay low for a while. Instead they try and take over the small town when gold is found, so it's up to Richard Arlen and the other townsfolk to try and take them down. Not a traditional western, but it's got enough western influence to get that rural feel. Mildly pleasing too, though not an all-time classic. Willie Fung, knowing his time was up, was pure gold!

18. Young Blood (1932, Phil Rosen) - 3/10
--- One of the few roles where it looked like Charles King had a bath! And he's out courting too! The problem however is that his fellow gang member Bob Steele also wants a piece of the pie, and so begins a game of smarts (or stupids). Light and mostly likable minor western, driven more by acting than action, which was unusual for poverty row production. Well, it worked okay thanks to director Phil Rosen keeping the two in check.

19. Breed of the Border (1933, Robert N. Bradbury) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- The biggest treat in Breed of the Border (1933) was petite showgirl Marion Byron giving it some personality! Not only that, but Bob Steele has George 'Gabby' Hayes as his sidekick! So while this was far from a greatest B-western, it was enjoyable because of the company Steele kept.

20. Western Justice (1934, Robert N. Bradbury) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Unremarkable poverty row western with two things I'm not sure if I should appreciate it's unshameful exploits or see them as just how terrible a director Robert N. Bradbury< really was. For one, the big catastrophe in the film was simple stolen from another movie, clumsily inserted here. And most hilarious, Bradbury trying to make a singing cowboy out of his son Bob Steele the same way he was wrecking John Wayne's career during the same period (see Riders of Destiny), with a horribly unsuited dubbed singing voice. Didn't fit the poor cowboy at all, and it was just a embarrassing moment for all involved.

21. Smoking Guns (1934, Alan James) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Ah man, this was horrendously cringe worthy. Worth a good laugh. Unintentionally of course. Ken Maynard wrote the story himself, which is worth another laugh! He plays dual roles here, one with a comical blond hair. Did that make him look corny, or what?! He/they end up on a adventure where they get in a croc fight of all things! You just have to see it! And don't get me started on the dialogue, plot holes and Maynard trying to act. At least for a terrible B-western, it's got entertainment value. So absurd it's funny.

22. Arizona Bad Man (1935, S. Roy Luby) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- The famous cowboy Reb Russell! Okay, not famous at all. He made only 12 westerns during his brief movie career, which pretty much stunk as much as his on-screen charisma. Here a fine example of that. Whatever bearable scenes this included was because of the usual B-western suspects on support. It was mostly them anyway, for they kept the hero off the screen as much as they could. Awkwardly so. It was really 4th-billed Edmund Cobb who had the true lead and who should get the credit from saving this mess of production above worst-case-scenario.

23. Arizona Trails (1935, Victor Adamson) - 1/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Welcome to the world of Victor Adamson. Perhaps the worst director in Hollywood. No director has received more 1/10 ratings from me than him, and Arizona Trails (1935) was no exception! Apart from poor shooting, terrible editing and crappy storytelling, his productions have a wonderful tendency to feel.... dead. Absolute dullness, made worse by having NO personality on-screen! From a technical aspect this wasn't his worst job (his films usually feels like blooper reels), but the film has NOTHING to offer.

24. Big Calibre (1935, Robert N. Bradbury) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- The 'mad scientists' angle are rarely played in westerns, so that made this one a little special. On one hand, Big Calibre (1935) is a mostly boring poverty row western from the father/son team Robert N. Bradbury/Bob Steele. On the other, there's that bizarre cheesiness about it with corny disguises, deadly gas and a thrilling finale. Not good, but a weird one.

25. Starlight Over Texas (1938, Albert Herman) - 3/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Not much stand-out in the way of cowboy action, but hearing Tex Ritter sing about how much he loves TEQUILA was award enough!

26. Sundown on the Prairie (1939, Albert Herman) - 2/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Love his punches! Landed a nasty one here! While I have a admiration for Tex Ritter, but his films are rarely any good. This was a very average Tex'er with few songs to mention and random poverty row cowboy action. This has been one of his rarer films for a reason.

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
Twelve 1930s westerns in a day :wacko: :blink: Rather you than me

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
21. The terror of Tiny Town (1938) 1.5/10

22. Valerie (1957) 6.25/10
Decent acting by Hayden.

23. Silver lode (1954) 8/10
" For a big boy with a gun you're in a awful hurry!"

24. Way Out west (1937) 6.5/10
Quite funny at times.

25. Comanche station (1960) 7.25/10
"My folks brought me up to be kind to a woman. You know, yes ma'am... no ma'am. Open doors for them. Give them my chair. Not go around killing them."

26. Apache drums (1951) 6/10
-What is an oath to an indian?
-A great deal more than to most white men

27. Riders of The purple sage (1925) 6.25/10
Thought this one would be better

28. No name on the bullet (1959) 9/10 (l)
" Take two men. Say they have robbed and lied, and have never paid. The man whom one of them has robbed comes to me and says, "kill that man who's robbed me". And I kill him. The other man becomes ill and would die, exept for a physician who returns him to health to rob and lie again. Who's the villain in this piece? Me or the physician?"

Edited by 72allinncallme, May 3 2017, 10:33:05 PM.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
brokenface
May 3 2017, 10:14:17 PM
I haven't checked the running times for all those movies, but I guess if all of them are less than 70 minutes long, it would be possible to view them all in the course of one day. I'm really quite amazed how many films participants are getting through here on a regular basis. I have had a few days myself in which I have managed to squeeze in six films per day for the October Challenges that used to be run on the IMDb Horror Board, but never more than two consecutive days with 5+ viewings. Work, shopping and other commitments somehow always get in the way. :(

PUNQ
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
sol
May 3 2017, 10:52:49 PM
brokenface
I haven't checked the running times for all those movies, but I guess if all of them are less than 70 minutes long, it would be possible to view them all in the course of one day. I'm really quite amazed how many films participants are getting through here on a regular basis. I have had a few days myself in which I have managed to squeeze in six films per day for the October Challenges that used to be run on the IMDb Horror Board, but never more than two consecutive days with 5+ viewings. Work, shopping and other commitments somehow always get in the way. :(
30s westerns are short, even shorter than what you estimated. They might be 12 films, but the running time was around 10 1/2 hours (all well above the required 40 minutes). Not sure how long I can keep up this pace, but tomorrow I have all day to myself so should be another busy day out west.

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Total: 5
FTVs: 4

New Watches:
4. Virginia City (1940) Michael Curtiz / FTV 5/3 / Rating: 7
Both Flynn and Curtiz seem a lot more at ease with the genre here and Randolph Scott is terrific as a foil for Flynn. Heck, I even liked Bogart as a Mexican(?) bandit. I felt that the finale let the movie down a notch.

5. The Man From Utah (1934) Robert N. Bradbury / RV 5/3 / Rating: 5
Why did I watch this again? I just didn't remember how mediocre it is. I would single out John Wayne's performance as one of his worst, but the whole cast seems slipshod in this one - although there's two ladies easy on the eyes.

The Round-Up:

blocho
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Apache Drums

My pace of viewing will be very slow this year. I just don't have the time anymore. But I did catch Apache Drums tonight. The only real appeal of this movie is the slippery hero/anti-hero played by Stephen McNally and the final thirty minutes set during a siege in a church, with the Apaches appearing like ghosts in the windows. Overall, I quite enjoyed it.

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. The Big Sky

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PUNQ
May 3 2017, 11:09:54 PM
sol
brokenface
30s westerns are short, even shorter than what you estimated. They might be 12 films, but the running time was around 10 1/2 hours (all well above the required 40 minutes). Not sure how long I can keep up this pace, but tomorrow I have all day to myself so should be another busy day out west.
Well, that's one way to win the Challenge. :teehee:

I don't know if it would be possible to implement around here, but back on the IMDb Horror Board, they actually had a supplementary challenge every October to watch films with the highest average run time. I never managed to come close to winning the overall Challenge (most films viewed), but I came in the top 5 every year I participated for highest average run time. I even managed to top the list twice.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
4. The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), William A. Wellman - favorite
Citizens of a small town in form a mob set for vengeance because of the murder of one of their friends. With sheriff being away, it becomes a question whether or not this mob will turn into a lynching mob. It’s not much of a spoiler to say that they catch up with the suspects, because the major part of the film is the deciding of what to do with these man; one group wants to hang them and other wants them to have a fair trial. I’ve always been against the capital punishment, I always felt that the society must be above any one person. If we kill those who kill, how exactly are we better than them? The Ox-Bow Incident isn’t exactly pro or against the death sentence per se, it’s more a film about the importance of law in society in general and as such, it does a better job at that than any other I’ve seen. Still, the capital punishment is something that crossed my mind while watching it and it gives the film another layer that makes it that much better.

4 bullets shot so far

Films I plan to watch

frbrown
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. High Plains Drifter (1973)

PUNQ
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
sol
May 4 2017, 09:16:15 AM
PUNQ
May 3 2017, 11:09:54 PM
sol
brokenface
Well, that's one way to win the Challenge. :teehee:

I don't know if it would be possible to implement around here, but back on the IMDb Horror Board, they actually had a supplementary challenge every October to watch films with the highest average run time. I never managed to come close to winning the overall Challenge (most films viewed), but I came in the top 5 every year I participated for highest average run time. I even managed to top the list twice.
To my defense, I didn't pick those films because of their running time. It's just that's the period I watch films from and those are the ones that's at my disposal. Had they been 2 hours each, I would have still watched them. Of course the tally would increase a lot slower, which was your point.

My original plan for this challenge was to spend over $1000 and dig out all the 30s westerns not available online, but available through (mostly bootleg) DVD dealers. Found around 300 unseen westerns through various dealers. But since all the family issues in March with that trip to the Philippines, I decided I had wasted enough money for a while. I still want to do this at some point and watch every (available) western from that decade regardless how crap they are! I just like 'em.

27. Western Union (1941, Fritz Lang) - 6/10
--- Lovely to look at, all in bright color! Joyous celebration of the pioneering work relating to the Western Union (1941) telegraph line, making communication between the east and the west easier. Stars Randolph Scott & Robert Young as friendly rivals, with Scott giving the more diverse performance having a dubious background. The plot wasn't develop enough for any major climaxes, but it was always a quality film fun to behold.

28. Lady from Louisiana (1941, Bernard Vorhaus) - 6/10
--- Republic Pictures rework the gangster related lottery racket plot to a different period bringing it down to old New Orleans along with John Wayne & Ona Munson. For Republic this was a ambitious project, and it looks nice for a story well within the flavor of the time. The big disaster at the end was surprisingly spectacular and rather impressive considering Republic wasn't exactly the cream of the crop of the studios. They were clearly signaling that they were now in the game to take on the big studios with their newly established star John Wayne who carried himself fine for such a period piece.

And now for my Roy Rogers marathon!

29. Robin Hood of the Pecos (1941, Joseph Kane) - 4/10
--- Roy Rogers, living under marshal law, has plenty of time to enjoy himself in a overly rushed script. More a good time than anything else. For those it's always good to have George 'Gabby' Hayes around! And Sally Payne was looking like she was enjoying herself too!

30. In Old Cheyenne (1941, Joseph Kane) - 4/10
--- It's clear Roy Rogers did a scoop luring George 'Gabby' Hayes away from Hopalong Cassidy series. He's the most valuable asset in making these rushed westerns a fun time. Rogers provides the voice, but the life of the story is always Gabby. Here as a old animal loving critter hide-out and befriending Rogers, a traveling reporter to expose the evil business In Old Cheyenne (1941). Too much going on, but the center of it all is Gabby distracting it's short-coming giving this personality.

31. Sheriff of Tombstone (1941, Joseph Kane) - 4/10
--- Not so many great George 'Gabby' Hayes moments in Sheriff of Tombstone (1941). Instead the plot felt more suited for the Roy Rogers format with a developing story which wasn't biting more than it could chew. Rogers honorable approach is starting to take shape too. Simple stiff acting, but he appears likable for a generic good guy and is able to carry a basic B-western like this all fine.

32. Nevada City (1941, Joseph Kane) - 4/10
--- Joseph Kane, who is directing all these Roy Rogers films from this period, runs the same pattern. Just changes the place and characters name for each episode. A fast-paced formula, perfect for those quick western fixes. An effective hack director, doing exactly what he was hired to do.... and that was not making all-time classics. Unfortunately George 'Gabby' Hayes was pushed too much in the shadow here, letting other guest characters take up more time while Roy Rogers, being the hero, basically plays the same Roy Rogers character he always does. Engaging enough story, which is what keeps this one moving.

33. Bad Man of Deadwood (1941, Joseph Kane) - 3/10
--- Bad Man of Deadwood (1941) might possibly have the least inspired story of Roy Rogers' 1941 films, but makes up for it with those small doses of George 'Gabby' Hayes being a Medicine show professor! That reassures a few laughs. However most of what goes on is generic B-western stuff....

34. Jesse James at Bay (1941, Joseph Kane) - 4/10
--- For once Roy Rogers have a go at acting trying a role that's not Roy Rogers! He plays dual roles, both dubious characters. One, the legendary Jesse James, the other a look-a-like gambler for a hour of confusion. He couldn't help but be Roy Rogers in there too, but at least he tried something different. Fairly entertaining too, but not too believable. Especially since both guys ride Tarzan!

35. Red River Valley (1941, Joseph Kane) - 4/10 - FIRST CHECK!
--- Roy Rogers takes a page out of Gene Autry book and plays a radio cowboy, while on the run from bad guys with the Sons of the Pioneers. Seen this so many times with Autry's films that I hope Roger's doesn't continue taking this route too. Still they get enough shenanigans out of it continue making fun and easy Roy Rogers westerns copying the formula.

If you thought 12 films in a day was much, I might bust that number today as I'm going to continue my Roy Rogers marathon with his 1942 films now. Feels more like binge watching seasons of TV series. A lot easier than those impression driven feature films.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
15. Continuavano a chiamarlo Trinità (1971)
16. The Ridiculous 6 (2015) - I wonder what market advisors thought it was good for business for Netflix to release Sandler movies.

Goal: Johnny Guitar (1954), McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971), My Darling Clementine (1946), The Ox-Bow Incident (1943), Præriens skrappe drenge (1970), Shane (1953), Soldier Blue (1970), The Wind (1928)

!seen 16

New awards this month:
Silver (2): Empire 500, Crime
Bronze (4): Cahiers du cinéma 100, Roger Ebert: the great movies, Western, 1960s
Closest awards (off. chall.): 10 Western, 20 Spaghetti Westerns, 24 Essential Westerns, 85 TSPDT, 92 Brief Encounters, 116 Blues
Edited by albajos, May 4 2017, 07:21:47 PM.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
29. The mysterious rider (1942) 3.75/10
Fuzzy for president!

30. Range Riders (1934) 4.5/10
- Now that you've saved Hardpan's mine, you have to quit being a bad Spanish boy.
- Well then, I'll be a gay caballero

31a. Out West (1918) 3/10. 20 min
31b. The battle at elderbush Gulch (1913) 6/10. 29min
31c. Dude Duck (1951) 5/10. 7min
31d. Texas Tom (1950) 6/10. 7min
= 61 min of shorts

32. Casa de mi padre (2012) 7/10
"Interesante."

33. Gunfight at The O.K corral (1957) 6.75/10
"Let me buy you a new halo. The one you have on is to tight"

34. Hell's Hinges (1916) 6.5/10
Religion ruined west

35. The Squaw man (1914) 5/10
Cecil B. DeMille's first movie.

Edited by 72allinncallme, May 4 2017, 09:07:10 PM.

frbrown
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
2. Duel in the Sun (1946)

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PUNQ
May 4 2017, 03:28:25 PM
To my defense, I didn't pick those films because of their running time. It's just that's the period I watch films from and those are the ones that's at my disposal. Had they been 2 hours each, I would have still watched them. Of course the tally would increase a lot slower, which was your point.

My original plan for this challenge was to spend over $1000 and dig out all the 30s westerns not available online, but available through (mostly bootleg) DVD dealers. Found around 300 unseen westerns through various dealers. But since all the family issues in March with that trip to the Philippines, I decided I had wasted enough money for a while. I still want to do this at some point and watch every (available) western from that decade regardless how crap they are! I just like 'em.
Hey, no problem. :) I have no qualms about how you want to complete the challenge - as long as you watching stuff that you want to see. :thumbsup: I was merely outlining how the folks on the IMDb Horror Board took to trying to buck the trend of participants (there) selecting horror viewings based on their runtime. :geek: The Horror Board were an uber competitive lot though. One participant even took to watching movies simultaneously (!) one year in an attempt to win the Horror Challenge, which led to them having to put a statement about "one film at a time" into their rules and regulations.

RBG
Member Avatar
notorious

Posted Image

1. one-eyed jacks (1961)

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
6. The Sun Shines Bright (1953) 6/10

7. E Dio disse a Caino... (1970) 7/10

Django Rides Some More!

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sol
May 4 2017, 10:59:02 PM
PUNQ

Hey, no problem. :) I have no qualms about how you want to complete the challenge - as long as you watching stuff that you want to see. :thumbsup: I was merely outlining how the folks on the IMDb Horror Board took to trying to buck the trend of participants (there) selecting horror viewings based on their runtime. :geek: The Horror Board were an uber competitive lot though. One participant even took to watching movies simultaneously (!) one year in an attempt to win the Horror Challenge, which led to them having to put a statement about "one film at a time" into their rules and regulations.
Watching two movies at the same time? :ermm:

Some people are way too competitive. What's the point in watching a movie if you don't actually WATCH a movie? I mean, sometimes if I end up with a crapfest my mind may wander, but I still try to pay attention.

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm feeling a mite pokey compared to some of the other cowboys 'round these parts but I'm averaging 2 films a day and an episode of a serial and really enjoying them.

Total Score: 8
FTVs: 5

New Watches:
6. Riders of the Whistling Pines (1949) John English / FTV 5/4 / Rating: 7
Good songs and the dependable John English at the helm. The unusual plot (a conflict over spraying the forest with DDT) set this modern western apart from many others.

7. Fort Apache (1948) John Ford / RV 5/4 / Rating: 9
Some Ford isn't aging well for me but I still find this one quite entertaining with solid dialogue and some strong emotional moments. There are also some great compositions and framing shots. The first of Ford's cavalry trilogy with two more to be revisited in the next few days.

8. Santa Fe Trail (1940) Michael Curtiz / RV 5/4 / Rating: 8
I've always felt that this was under-rated by most - possibly because of the liberties the script takes with historical accuracy, but Massey is very compelling as John Brown and everyone in the cast gives a solid performance. Curtiz delivers some striking compositions and good action.

The Round-Up:

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
flavo5000
May 5 2017, 02:26:47 AM
sol
May 4 2017, 10:59:02 PM
PUNQ

Some people are way too competitive. What's the point in watching a movie if you don't actually WATCH a movie? I mean, sometimes if I end up with a crapfest my mind may wander, but I still try to pay attention.
I totally agree with you Flavo. When I watch a movie, I watch a movie - even if it turns out to be crap. OK, when I'm not in a challenge I'll gong a film I'm not getting into after 20 minutes but I don't count it as watched. I feel like when I'm in a challenge once I start a film I'm committed to finish it.

:cheers:

jdidaco
No Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Another outstanding lot, highlights being Fregonese's 'Apache Drums', another Sherman, 'The Last of the Fast Guns', Bartlett's 'Joe Dakota', and Werker's 'Rebel in Town', one of the greatest revenge westerns of the 50s.

10. Frenchie (1950) - Louis King. 7.5/10
"Don't worry about me sheriff, anything I can get on I can get off."

11. Apache Drums (1951) - Hugo Fregonese. 9/10
“I like your notion, Reverend, that Apaches are just evils the Lord created to try honest men. I’m saved. I’m not an honest man.”

12. Black Horse Canyon (1954) - Jesse Hibbs. 7.5/10
- “Do you find it easy to be disagreeable, or do you have to work at it?”
- “You know, I got kind of a talent for it.”

13. Wichita (1955) - Jacques Tourneur. 8.5/10
“The only arguments I’ve had lately have been with buffalo. They don’t draw very fast, you know.”

14. The Burning Hills (1956) - Stuart Heisler. 7.5/10
- "They think they can treat me like those girls in the dance hall."
- "I'm sorry. I know how you must feel."
- "You can't. You are a man."

15. Rebel in Town (1956) - Alfred L. Werker. 9.5/10
“What the sons of some men will do to the sons of others. That’s the tragedy of the world.”

16. Joe Dakota (1957) - Richard Bartlett. 9/10
“Hello. Imagine I’m not seeing you. What kind of town is this anyway?”

17. The Dalton Girls (1957) - Reginald Le Borg. 8/10
“Oh, you can’t trust a man, ‘cos a man will lie,
But a gun stays beside you till the day you die.
A man is a cheater, with his triflin’ ways,
But a gun’s always faithful, ‘cos a gun never strays.”

18. The Last of the Fast Guns (1958) - George Sherman. 9/10
- “You’re a long way from home.”
- “A man always is until he has one of his own.”

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
psychotronicbeatnik
May 5 2017, 02:32:44 AM
flavo5000

I totally agree with you Flavo. When I watch a movie, I watch a movie - even if it turns out to be crap. OK, when I'm not in a challenge I'll gong a film I'm not getting into after 20 minutes but I don't count it as watched. I feel like when I'm in a challenge once I start a film I'm committed to finish it.
Yeah, the IMDb Horror Board were a weird and interesting bunch. I'm not quite sure what happened to most of them after the IMDb boards disbanded. I only tended to hang out there during October, so I never really got to know any of them too well.

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
4. The Gun That Won the West-1955: 5/10

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
The challenge might be over for me after 6 more movies, but I might double that.

How many Elvis Westerns are there? A source says six.
Charro!; Flaming Star; Frankie and Johnny; Love Me Tender; Stay Away, Joe and Tickle Me

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
5. The Violent Men-1955: 8/10 (Rewatch)

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
albajos
May 5 2017, 10:43:59 AM
How many Elvis Westerns are there? A source says six.
Charro!; Flaming Star; Frankie and Johnny; Love Me Tender; Stay Away, Joe and Tickle Me
I'll let you include Bubba Ho-tep if you like. :lol:

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
17. El topo (1970)
18. Destry Rides Again (1939)

!seen 18

New awards this month:
Silver (2): Empire 500, Crime
Bronze (5): Cahiers du cinéma 100, Roger Ebert: the great movies, Stanley Kubrick, Cinephile, Western, 1960s
Closest awards (off. chall.): 9 Western, 20 Spaghetti Westerns, 23 Essential Westerns, 84 TSPDT, 92 Brief Encounters, 116 Blues
Edited by albajos, May 5 2017, 07:41:29 PM.

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
sol
May 5 2017, 08:37:44 AM
psychotronicbeatnik
May 5 2017, 02:32:44 AM
flavo5000

Yeah, the IMDb Horror Board were a weird and interesting bunch. I'm not quite sure what happened to most of them after the IMDb boards disbanded. I only tended to hang out there during October, so I never really got to know any of them too well.
I was a regular on the IMDb Horror Board. It was a diverse bunch of folks. Some of us have migrated here. I'm also on two other sites where they have settled (Trash Epics and The Horror Board) and I know there are other sites as well as a Facebook group. I think the number of sites where former regs on that board have settled reflects the diversity of the people who were on there.

I think the proudest accomplishment of the regs on the Horror Board was probably participating in two books on horror films, edited by a reg on those boards and largely consisting of essays by many of the other regs. The books are Horror 101 and Hidden Horrors and last I checked both were still available on Amazon. I contributed essays on Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Incredible Shrinking Man and Larry Cohen's Q.

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I rustled my latest movie from jd's herd. Thanks for the rec, jd! :cheers:

New Watch:
9. Rebel in Town (1956) Alfred L. Werker / FTV 5/5 / Rating: 8
Solid revenge pic with some truly unexpected moments and tense scenes. Werker's compositions and framing have a nice dramatic edge that fits the subject well.

Total: 9
FTVs: 6

The Round-Up:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone