Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1948 (Results), 1987 awards (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 25th), South-East Asia (Apr 27th), New official lists (Nominations Apr 29th), 1958 awards (Apr 30th)
Challenges: TSPDT, France, 1970s
Film of the Week: Vale Abraão
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1F (Apr 25th), Match 1G (May 13th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
LGBT Poll; Forum's favourite LGBT-orienthed films
Topic Started: Sep 27 2017, 08:58:23 PM (4,129 Views)
Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
iCM Forum's Favourite LGBT Films
Results

Posted Image

The Rules

• Shorts, mini-series and TV-series are allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Lists can be ranked or unranked or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.

Half-life is 25, and this will be a Top 100.

Thank you to everyone for your participation!

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Dec 14 2017, 11:44:35 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sweet! A couple questions:

1. What is the deadline?
2. Can you either explain, or point me to something that explains the "half life" concept as it applies to rankings?

And one argument:

Why not TV series (not individual episodes, but full series)? In a themed poll like this, TV series are able to explore the LGBT+ theme to a much greater depth than any individual film can. For example, Grace and Frankie is one of the best series at exploring what it means to be gay, what it means to come out at an old age, etc., while managing not to create one-dimensional characters.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I just copypasted the Canadian poll, don't take all seriously :D Gonna edit the rules. Anyway, the deadline is around 15th of December, I'll give my thoughts on some films and let's change experiences.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mario Gaborović
Sep 27 2017, 09:44:38 PM
I just copypasted the Canadian poll, don't take all seriously :D Gonna edit the rules. Anyway, the deadline is around 15th of December, I'll give my thoughts on some films and let's change experiences.
Thanks! The deadline was the main one I was worried about, in case I needed to start making a list ASAP.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
First I'm gonna include all the LGBT films that I have seen, so you guys could pick something to watch (changing experiences!), and then I'm gonna cut off the bottom of that list.

My initial list, will add more later:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025514921/
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Sep 27 2017, 10:26:49 PM.

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Mario!

While I'm not a listmaker and don't usually take part in genre polls, I will try to get something together for this since it's a genre I care about though am no where near as well versed in as some other users. Will say I'm feeling a bit worn out by the 500<400 thing I put together yesterday so am hopeful the deadline isn't too soon.

The one question, and it's a bit complex, I have is: how much queer content is required? So, you mention Grace and Frankie and I'd say Queer as Folk are both very obviously gay as is something like Brokeass Mountem' - oops, I mean Brokeback Mountain even though there has been plenty of discussion in the queer press about how gay (positive) it is or isn't. But when we move to something like Six Feet Under, we start down a spectrum (gay leading character with strong gay thematic elements throughout though not at the forefront continuously). Next would come something where it just happens that the character is queer (mind failing me on this one) but that is largely unrelated to the plot - let's say a murder mystery where one of the victims was gay. Then we get into Some Like It Hot where the trans theme plays out with a bit of a queer payoff at the end. And finally we get to Wizard of Oz and other camp like Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, neither of which have any queer content or themes but are valued for their camp. (Gee, seems like we could do an alternative to Cult films - Camp Films.) And last, Fight Club which is decidedly not queer but since the original author is gay it can be viewed through a lavender lense revealing queer themes.

So, where should we draw the line? And after a number of forum members share their varying viewpoints, how will we draw a line in the sand?

This discussion came up while we were discussing the possibility of a queer list being made official and I don't think anything was 'resolved' but I remember lists being panned because (non-queer) members didn't understand how WoOz could be included in a book about queer cinema (The Celluloid Closet).

And like you, I've always wondered about the 'no TV series' rule but just accepted it as the standard operating procedure figuring discussion was held long before I joined up. However, my interest has been in filmed entertainments regardless of medium or venue and certain landmarks in US queer culture have happened on TV long before the silver screen (Ellen's Big Lesbian Little Screen Kiss).

I know, I'm being a pain in the ass, but it's likely this will come up at some point. Why not before people do their lists under their own assumptions?

Last, I'll be happy to help and support in any way I can, okay?

:hug:

Good_Will_Harding
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Cool, I'd definitely be down for this.

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
Mario Gaborović
Sep 27 2017, 10:08:37 PM
First I'm gonna include all the LGBT films that I have seen, so you guys could pick something to watch (changing experiences!), and then I'm gonna cut off the bottom of that list.

My initial list, will add more later:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025514921/
This post also has a list of lists that is meant to be helpful in a case like this. It's about as complete a list as I've been able to put together and has recent additions.

Furthermore, participants in the unofficial OUT challenge have added titles which might not appear in the lists.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

I really wanna see joachimt's reaction to this

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
XxXApathy420XxX
Sep 27 2017, 10:38:09 PM
Why? I asked him two days ago can I start it, he approved.

Btw this is my first-ever poll that I run, I wanted to be the LGBT even though I am not one of you fellas. B)

Crossdressing is not included - only sexual attraction matters.
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Sep 27 2017, 10:42:26 PM.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Oh I assumed you were a rebel and hosted a poll without looking about the schedule.

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
Mario Gaborović
Sep 27 2017, 10:40:28 PM
XxXApathy420XxX

Btw this is my first-ever poll that I run, I wanted to be the LGBT even though I am not one of you fellas. B)

Crossdressing is not included - only sexual attraction matters.
So, do I understand that to mean Some Like It Hot, Too Wong Foo..., and Priscilla... are out?

:think:

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
xianjiro
Sep 27 2017, 10:56:45 PM
So, do I understand that to mean Some Like It Hot, Too Wong Foo..., and Priscilla... are out?

I can't remember about Priscilla but the film is on every damn gay list I cast a glance at. Some Like It Hot is certainly out of this, but Chasing Amy could do.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Mario Gaborović
Sep 27 2017, 11:08:40 PM
xianjiro

I can't remember about Priscilla but the film is on every damn gay list I cast a glance at. Some Like It Hot is certainly out of this, but Chasing Amy could do.
well, I guess there's cross-dressing and cross-dressing. Depends on the motivation, I guess. Some of us just find pants easier to deal with.
Edited by 3eyes, Sep 27 2017, 11:19:35 PM.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes
Sep 27 2017, 11:15:36 PM
Mario Gaborović
Sep 27 2017, 11:08:40 PM
xianjiro

well, I guess there's cross-dressing and cross-dressing. Depends on the motivation, I guess. Some of us just find pants easier to deal with.
Well there's always talk about famous films. Let's shed a light at lesser known titles, for instance from your own national cinematographies. Those films aren't listed anywhere; Dakan from Guinea, for instance. It's always just damn Brokeback Mountain.

And you can also include everything that's a check, such as music videos of Bronski Beat, Culture Club, Baltimora and certainly Village People! :party: :party: :party:

TraverseTown
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025518736/ Ranked

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
My ranked list; will add more later:

LGBT

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Mario Gaborović
Sep 27 2017, 10:40:28 PM
XxXApathy420XxX
You don't need my permission. I'm not the boss here.

Some people don't want to have to many polls, because of list-fatigue. Therefor we make a schedule each year. That's why I brought it up. If people like this extra poll, that's fine. If not, you just won't get a lot of participants.

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
You need to add it to the top of the main header or some people may not find out about this poll!

How predominant does the queer content have to be? I'm still confused!
Edited by Eve-Lang-El-Coup, Sep 28 2017, 07:04:21 AM.

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
And off the top of my head, the one film that stands out for me is Summer Storm. A great coming of age tale.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Sep 28 2017, 07:03:23 AM
You need to add it to the top of the main header or some people may not find out about this poll!
Sure. I always do that, but give me a break. This topic was just started. I glanced at it during breakfast and went to work. I've got time for iCM-stuff tonight after the kids are in bed......

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm interested who are gays on this forum, and do they actually watch films with this subject in larger numbers. :ermm:

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
joachimt
Sep 28 2017, 08:20:45 AM
Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Sep 28 2017, 07:03:23 AM
Sure. I always do that, but give me a break. This topic was just started. I glanced at it during breakfast and went to work. I've got time for iCM-stuff tonight after the kids are in bed......
Honestly, I have no idea how things work around here, but I assumed there was more than one person with administration rights.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Sep 28 2017, 08:30:54 AM
Honestly, I have no idea how things work around here, but I assumed there was more than one person with administration rights.
I think joachimt mentioned somewhere else that there is some sort of glitch and only him and one other moderator are actually able to edit the header or something. Don't quote me though! :pinch:

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
Mario Gaborović
Sep 28 2017, 08:27:30 AM
I'm interested who are gays on this forum, and do they actually watch films with this subject in larger numbers. :ermm:
It's not my style to out anyone else, but I've not kept it secret that I'm gay. I've never tried to do an actual count, but various people have talked about their orientation in this thread. But read carefully as people from all across the sexuality spectrum have posted - in other words, posting to that thread doesn't equate to being gay.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ooh. This is going to be even more complex than Ferg's Canada poll in terms of eligibility. (D:)

I might submit an unranked preliminary list closer to the time in order that you (or anyone else) can suggest which films should not be included for the poll.

A tricky one might be Old Joy, which I only saw a couple of days ago myself. At the time, critics kept comparing it to Brokeback Mountain, but there is only ever the slightest suggestion of a gay subtext.

And while I am here, let me give a shout-out to Is-slottet (1987), which is the first film that came to mind for me.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Something else I forgot to mention - the timing of this couldn't be more perfect for the Australian users over here given that our government is currently polling the country regarding gay rights.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
sol
Sep 28 2017, 09:28:54 AM
Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Sep 28 2017, 08:30:54 AM
I think joachimt mentioned somewhere else that there is some sort of glitch and only him and one other moderator are actually able to edit the header or something. Don't quote me though! :pinch:
For some reason mods can edit posts, delete posts, merge threads, move threads, etc..... but they can't update the header. Only admins can, so that's only AdamH and mightysparks, but they don't pay attention to all projects. Therefor Adam gave me some admin-rights and I make sure the header is up-to-date.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
So basically it's just me. I only need to be informed about the awards game, because I don't follow that.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Sep 28 2017, 09:47:36 AM
For some reason mods can edit posts, delete posts, merge threads, move threads, etc..... but they can't update the header. Only admins can, so that's only AdamH and mightysparks, but they don't pay attention to all projects. Therefor Adam gave me some admin-rights and I make sure the header is up-to-date.
Ah, that was it. Anyway, I know how you really, really, really, want extra jobs to do :rolleyes: :pinch: and since we have been discussing future challenges for next year already, would it be alright to update the Challenges Index when you get a chance? :)

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
xianjiro
Sep 28 2017, 09:33:34 AM
Mario Gaborović
Sep 28 2017, 08:27:30 AM
It's not my style to out anyone else, but I've not kept it secret that I'm gay. I've never tried to do an actual count, but various people have talked about their orientation in this thread. But read carefully as people from all across the sexuality spectrum have posted - in other words, posting to that thread doesn't equate to being gay.
At least in places like here, you guys shouldn't be ashamed of it. In 2017, even more so. ^_^

Anyway, I'm trying to locate a Puertorican doc about their drag-queen scene; looks like it isn't ultra-obscure but I can't seem to find it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3314958/

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
Nur dein Auge–ungeheuer / Blickt mich's an, Unendlichkeit!
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025539079/

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Carmel have you listened to the Opie & Anthony commentary on ChickenHawk: Men Who Love Boys?? :D
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Sep 28 2017, 03:23:50 PM.

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
Nur dein Auge–ungeheuer / Blickt mich's an, Unendlichkeit!
Mario Gaborović
Sep 28 2017, 03:23:41 PM
Carmel have you listened to the Opie & Anthony commentary on ChickenHawk: Men Who Love Boys?? :D
You mean this? No, not yet, but I will now.

Posted Image

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Carmel1379
Sep 28 2017, 03:34:21 PM
Mario Gaborović
Sep 28 2017, 03:23:41 PM
You mean this? No, not yet, but I will now.
Yes that. More amusing than the documentary itself. :D

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
sol
Sep 28 2017, 09:43:04 AM
Something else I forgot to mention - the timing of this couldn't be more perfect for the Australian users over here given that our government is currently polling the country regarding gay rights.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/28/azerbaijan-police-crackdown-lgbt-community

One that would be on my list is Flesh and the Devil (1926). On the surface it's all this romantic Bruderschaft stuff but it's way over the top, and
Spoiler: click to toggle

I was wondering about eligibility too - for those of us who aren't LGBTQETC.
Edited by 3eyes, Sep 28 2017, 05:17:30 PM.

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh my gosh, I read the first post and thought it already occurred and I missed this :lol:

I'll definitely submit a list.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I would say Some Like It Hot are eligible.

Jerry: [normal voice] I'm a man!
Osgood: [shrugs] Well, nobody's perfect!

So Osgood is either homosexual or pansexual.

To Wong Fo are a movie about homosexuals that work as drag queens. So still the G in LGBT.

So the whole specter is:
Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender
Transsexual
Queer
Intersex
Asexual
Pansexual
Gender Queer/Agender etc

And you can be several of these. And for some on the spectre it's more correct to switch out "sexual" with "romantic" for some of these.

But the eligibility would basically for me be how big part of the plot/theme this is.
Movies with token gay friends are out, movies where sexuality just are used as a punchline is also out.

And I will not include movies which don't openly tell that there are something between charaters. Shipping theories are simply fan fiction.
So Sherlock, even if he in all original media is an aromantic asexual, the series don't go out and say it. But still makes jokes from the surroundings that they are gay. And that is all it is, a joke.

For the lesser known on the spectrum:
Transgender/Transsexual: Transamerica, Transparent, Alt om min far, Let Me Die a Woman, The Danish Girl, Boys Don't Cry

Pansexual - can't think of any titles, but it is about falling in love with the person because of the person, not because of the gender fits. While Bisexuals on the other hand know they are attracted to "all" men and women. You could say Billie Piper's character in Doctor Who is pan. She is in love with the Doctor, regardless of what incarnation or gender s/he might have. (Well, if she probably wont return with the new doctor, but she has stated this in media)

Intersex - born with both sexual equipment, there are probably many documentaries about this, but in movies often treated as a joke. (Like The Hangover Part II). In the old days they surgically removed one of these at birth, but they never know if they picked the right one.

Aexual - Never having sexual attraction towards anyone. Unless they are aromantic they still might get crushes though. There are some documentaries, like (A)sexual. There are characters in BoJack Horseman (Todd), Pillars of the Earth, even Game of Thrones (Lord Varys) and Nymphomaniac (Skarsgård's character)

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
albajos
Sep 28 2017, 06:14:30 PM
I would say Some Like It Hot are eligible.

Jerry: [normal voice] I'm a man!
Osgood: [shrugs] Well, nobody's perfect!

So Osgood is either homosexual or pansexual.
Maybe but then I'm gonna add in the description that cross-dressers are allowed, too. That includes Ed Wood who slept with women only.

But I'm not gonna include films with only one or two gay characters, because then the final list is going to be "diluted" with things that don't have much to do with same-sex attraction. Enough with that artifical growth of your list, if you haven't watched many. :verymad:

You better focus on paedophiles, for that matter.
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Sep 28 2017, 06:22:48 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Cocoa
Sep 28 2017, 05:49:16 PM
Oh my gosh, I read the first post and thought it already occurred and I missed this :lol:
Indeed, the OP has the word "Results" in it. :lol:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Our lists and projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone