Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Which subjects should we do a poll about in 2018?
Middle East (exact countries to be determined) 27 (5.8%)
Africa 27 (5.8%)
Central Asia 13 (2.8%)
South-East Asia (Philippines/Indonesia/Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia/etc) 23 (5%)
Australia/New Zealand 25 (5.4%)
Benelux 16 (3.5%)
Spain 25 (5.4%)
Romcom 18 (3.9%)
Fantasy 19 (4.1%)
Gangster 14 (3%)
Film scores 19 (4.1%)
Original songs from films 7 (1.5%)
Indigenous Narratives 11 (2.4%)
Adaptations (novels and plays) 8 (1.7%)
Adventure 12 (2.6%)
Biopics 14 (3%)
Coming-of-age 17 (3.7%)
Crime 17 (3.7%)
Prison 15 (3.2%)
Romance 12 (2.6%)
Sport 11 (2.4%)
French (Recurring poll: last time: 2012, 2015) 24 (5.2%)
Musical (Recurring poll: last time: 2013) 25 (5.4%)
German (Recurring poll: last time: 2014) 24 (5.2%)
Films on 0 Official Lists (Recurring poll: last time: 2015) 39 (8.4%)
Total Votes: 462
Should the annual Horror poll be held again in 2018?
Yes 26 (37.1%)
Yes, but let's do another poll beside it that month 21 (30%)
No 23 (32.9%)
Total Votes: 70
How many "peoples" polls should we do next year?
Only one; film composers in December. 6 (10%)
Only one; directors (again) in December. 21 (35%)
Two; film composers in June, directors (again) in December. 23 (38.3%)
None. 10 (16.7%)
Total Votes: 60
Setting up the 2018 poll schedule
Topic Started: Oct 28 2017, 03:58:57 PM (1,632 Views)
Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This thread is to set up the polls schedule for 2018. My idea is to do one poll a month, only in December there will be two polls; one for movies and one for people. Since poll fatigue is beginning to show on the forum. This is all open for discussion of course.
I inventorized the ideas for polls in these two topic, http://www.icmforum.com/topic/10303826/ and http://www.icmforum.com/topic/7307966, and last year poll.

Horror can be annual again, it spot can be taken by another or we could do two polls that month also.

The schedule that way is:
Concept schedule
JanuaryTBD
FebruaryTBD
MarchiCM Forum's 1001 Favourite Films (annual)
AprilTBD
MayTBD
JuneiCM Forum's Favourite Movies of the 2010s (annual)
JulyTBD
AugustTBD
SeptemberiCM Forum's 500<400 (annual)
OctoberTBD
NovemberiCM Forum's Favourite Horror Films?
TBD
DecemberFilm composers
TBD

Which means there are 8 or 9 slots left. So let's vote for these!

Update: Deadline = Nov 11th
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Nov 4 2017, 10:49:11 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Why didn't you put horror in the poll? This way we don't really know if people want it to be returning again.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'm against a composers poll replacing the director poll. Put the composers poll in June with the 2010s poll.

I agree with going back to one poll per month for the rest, though.

Edit: What about my idea of restarting the decade polls? 1930s and 1940s and maybe 1950s?
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Oct 28 2017, 04:06:53 PM.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
joachimt
Oct 28 2017, 04:02:54 PM
Why didn't you put horror in the poll? This way we don't really know if people want it to be returning again.
Cause I added a poll for that. :)

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
joachimt
Oct 28 2017, 04:02:54 PM
Never mind. I see it now.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
PeacefulAnarchy
Oct 28 2017, 04:04:32 PM
I'm against a composers poll replacing the director poll. Put the composers poll in June with the 2010s poll.

I was thinking about that too. If people share your idea, I will.
Maybe I will add another poll for that. ^_^

About repeating the decade polls: I didn't add those, since there didn't seem much interest in that in the other topic. If there is, I will add a poll for that too. That of course means there will be slots less left.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Oct 28 2017, 04:14:56 PM.

insomnius
Member Avatar
Fourth Row Spectator
 *  *  *  * ]
Lonewolf2003
Oct 28 2017, 04:08:20 PM
PeacefulAnarchy
Oct 28 2017, 04:04:32 PM

I was thinking about that too. If people share your idea, I will.
Maybe I will add another poll for that. ^_^

About repeating the decade polls: I didn't add those, since there didn't seem much interest in that in the other topic. If there is, I will add a poll for that too. That of course means there will be slots less left.
I share PA's view on the director poll. Besides, I think film scores would be more interesting than composers if I'd have to choose.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Lonewolf2003
Oct 28 2017, 04:08:20 PM
We can easily wait till 2019 to start the decades again.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Added another poll.

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like we'll finally have a Middle East poll! :cheers:

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Is there a deadline? Maybe this thread should be in the header too.

spinal tapper
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Sorry but what is indigenous narratives?

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
PeacefulAnarchy
Nov 4 2017, 02:01:26 AM
Maybe this thread should be in the header too.
done
Edited by joachimt, Nov 4 2017, 07:28:51 AM.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I personally would like an actors/actresses poll again, although that doesn't have to be in 2018.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
spinal tapper
Nov 4 2017, 06:10:21 AM
See the opening post in this challenge.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
PeacefulAnarchy
Nov 4 2017, 02:01:26 AM
Is there a deadline? Maybe this thread should be in the header too.
No didn't think it necessary to set a deadline. Poll would end if voting or topic slowed down. But we could, two weeks voting should be enough, so let set it on Saturday next wee, the 11th.

spinal tapper
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
sortile9io
Nov 4 2017, 07:56:44 AM
spinal tapper
Nov 4 2017, 06:10:21 AM
See the opening post in this challenge.
Thanks!

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
The Obsessed Listmaking Slut
Can't say I feel fatigue to be honest, polls are one of the most fun features. If anything I'd love polls following each challenge. Not that excited for the options this year. Mainly looking forward to German (which I have been watching a decent bit of these last few months - and will hopefully continue with in 2018), Films on 0 lists (great focus!) and Directors (though I see why we would tire a little of this if the results are quite static).

I also voted for France, as once every 3 years seems deserved.

tobias
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
Of course being a dirty nationalist, I had to vote for my country... Ok, not actually but I've seen a lot of German films and am interested in it, a new poll would be great. Have to look at the old one sometime. Fantasy and Adventure I think could also be great because this board will probably come up with a few really unconventional ones there.

If one can suggest anything (or maybe there was an earlier thread about that that I missed), I think "films set before the middle ages" (or something alone the lines of that) could be very interesting because the bulk of history films tend to focus on a later era but especially the films taking place in long forgotten times are interesting because society was so radically different and far away from ours. Surrealism would also be great.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
tobias
Nov 8 2017, 10:46:54 PM
Of course being a dirty nationalist, I had to vote for my country... Ok, not actually but I've seen a lot of German films and am interested in it, a new poll would be great. Have to look at the old one sometime. Fantasy and Adventure I think could also be great because this board will probably come up with a few really unconventional ones there.

If one can suggest anything (or maybe there was an earlier thread about that that I missed), I think "films set before the middle ages" (or something alone the lines of that) could be very interesting because the bulk of history films tend to focus on a later era but especially the films taking place in long forgotten times are interesting because society was so radically different and far away from ours. Surrealism would also be great.
There was indeed already a topic running for some time for suggestions. It's a bit late for suggestions for 2018 now. Suggestions for 2019 can of course always be made in this thread: http://www.icmforum.com/topic/7307966/22/

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Polls are now closed

These are my conclusions from these polls. But of course all these are open for debate, I'm not the poll-tzar just a guy trying to do his bit for this forum in making a poll schedule

Firstly, since there is no clear winner about the horror-poll, with only a few more people voting purely for no than purely for yes, but on the other side the combined two yes options having a clear majority. I thinks it's best if we run two polls that month again, maybe with horror off schedule. That seems like the best compromise to me. That means there are nine slot left for other polls.

Secondly about the amount of "people" polls, repeating the directors poll again turned out to be more popular than I thought. So that one should be held again in December. Since there are as many people for having two polls as just one, plus the 3 people that voted for just the composers poll, that one will take place also.

Last but not least, the scores from the main poll:
Films on 0 Official Lists (Recurring poll: last time: 2015) 35 9.30%
Middle East (exact countries to be determined) 24 6.30%
Africa 23 6.10%
Musical (Recurring poll: last time: 2013) 23 6.10%
Spain 21 5.60%
German (Recurring poll: last time: 2014) 21 5.60%
Australia/New Zealand 20 5.30%
South-East Asia (Philippines/Indonesia/Thailand/Vietnam/Malaysia/etc) 18 4.80%
French (Recurring poll: last time: 2012, 2015) 17 4.50%
Fantasy 16 4.20%
Film scores 16 4.20%
Benelux 15 4%
Romcom 15 4%
Crime 13 3.40%
Coming-of-age 12 3.20%
Central Asia 11 2.90%
Biopics 11 2.90%
Gangster 10 2.60%
Prison 10 2.60%
Romance 10 2.60%
Adventure 9 2.40%
Sport 9 2.40%
Indigenous Narratives 8 2.10%
Original songs from films 6 1.60%
Adaptations (novels and plays) 5 1.30%

If we go purely with these result the above bold nine ones will be held. But since that means that beside "0 lists" and musicals all others will be country/regions ones, I'm thinking about replacing French or South-East Asia with Fantasy and/or Film scores. What are your thoughts on that?

I will make a preliminary schedule later after this discussion.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Nov 11 2017, 02:35:48 PM.

rnilsson19
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'd say ditch the french one and go with film scores. That's one poll I would really like to see as it's fairly hard to find truly good film scores recommendations in my experience.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
The only thing I have against film scores is that we seem to be doing a composers poll as well. Might be a bit too much if we do both.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think there are too many polls.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
joachimt
Nov 11 2017, 06:02:09 PM
The only thing I have against film scores is that we seem to be doing a composers poll as well. Might be a bit too much if we do both.
That's my hesitation against it also. How about swapping composers for film scores?
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Nov 11 2017, 09:52:11 PM.

avid
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
The worry about a film score poll is that John Williams, Max Steiner etc will have many, many entries. Polling composers would give more variety.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't think it's an issue that we have mostly country/region polls for the upcoming year. In past years there have been different focuses as well; it doesn't always have to be equally distributed.

I would keep the French poll; it's a big film country and I like the cadence of updating it every three years. Fantasy would be nice to have, though. We could double up that with one of the bigger polls that people will participate in anyway.

Agreed about the scores & composers. To me, film scores belongs on a music poll, not a film poll.

Also, here's my proposal for splitting Africa and the Middle East (also attached): Splitting it into Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) and a narrow definition of Middle East + North Africa (MENA). Turkey and Iran are large enough to constitute their own country polls, in my opinion, and while they may have similar cultures and shared histories, they would also dominate every other country in that poll except maybe Egypt and Israel, as their film outputs are much greater.

Posted Image
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Screen_Shot_2017_11_12_at_12.33.41.png (19.54 KB)

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, I've gone back over the previous polls (that pinned thread REALLY needs to be updated) and mapped out the previous countries/regions that we've polled, plus added the new ones scheduled in the next 14 months (South Korea [hot pink], Spain [teal], Middle East [green], Africa [red-brown], Southeast Asia [other green], Australia + New Zealand [blue]).

Posted Image

Each colour is a separate poll, with two exceptions:
For the Balkans, Turkey was eligible but people were encouraged to be selective for stories set in Europe (mainly Istanbul).
For the Russian poll, it included all of the Soviet Union during that countries existence, but did not include the successor states before or after the USSR.
Moldova was eligible for both the Balkan and Russian polls.

Previous Polls

Of the remaining areas, this is what I would propose for 2019 (since I'm a completionist):
- South Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Maldives)
- Iran
- Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Mongolia)
- Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg)
- Portugal (though perhaps an Iberian poll would make more sense [Spain + Portugal + Andorra]?)

That only leaves Ireland, the USA, Turkey, the Baltics, Belarus, Ukraine, the Caucasus, North Korea, and Oceania as under/un-represented.
- Ireland could be combined with UK for a British Isles poll.
- North Korea should be combined with South Korea into a single Korean poll
- the Baltics could be combined with the Nordics in future polls
- Russia could be expanded to East Slavs (i.e. Russia + Ukraine + Belarus)
- Oceania has so little film output that I'd suggest either skipping it or combining it with the Oz/NZ poll
- the Caucasus could be combined with Turkey, Iran, or Central Asia. Or, you could lump all 4 groups into a single West + Central Asia poll
- And I suppose we could always do a grand ol' USA poll

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Iím for including Iran in the ME poll
I think most assumed it would be when they voted for it.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Nov 12 2017, 09:54:35 AM.

insomnius
Member Avatar
Fourth Row Spectator
 *  *  *  * ]
avid
Nov 12 2017, 02:49:37 AM
The worry about a film score poll is that John Williams, Max Steiner etc will have many, many entries. Polling composers would give more variety.
I'm sure a film scores poll would feature many scores by Williams, but I feel a composers poll would be even more predictable with Williams, Morricone and a few other household names topping it.

Teproc
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Excluding Iran of a "Middle East" category is quite nonsensical. Granted, "Middle East" has wrongly been conflated with "the Islamic world" for a while now, but still... also there is no definition of "Middle East than include North African countries. It does make sense to give Iran its own poll, but then the area proposed by Fergenaprido would more accurately be called "Arab World", though including Israel is a bit awkward then.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Teproc
Nov 12 2017, 12:13:19 PM
Excluding Iran of a "Middle East" category is quite nonsensical. Granted, "Middle East" has wrongly been conflated with "the Islamic world" for a while now, but still... also there is no definition of "Middle East than include North African countries. It does make sense to give Iran its own poll, but then the area proposed by Fergenaprido would more accurately be called "Arab World", though including Israel is a bit awkward then.
That's why I called it "Middle East + North Africa" and prefaced it by saying it was a narrow definition of the term. Every definition I've seen of "Middle East" includes Egypt, which is a North African country. The rest of the Maghreb is often included in the term "Greater Middle East".

I'm not dead set against including Iran and/or Turkey in a Middle East poll, I simply would prefer that they have their own polls so that they don't dominate the results.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
North Africa I would put in a Mediterranean poll, as f.ex Tunisia, Greece and Italy makes movies with a simiar tone. But with Italy, France and Spain having their own polls, the remaining few are maybe not enough?

(Mediterranean would end up with Algeria, Cyprus, Egypt, Greece, Israel, Lebanon, Libya, Morrocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey)

Teproc
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Fergenaprido
Nov 12 2017, 02:09:52 PM
Teproc
That's why I called it "Middle East + North Africa" and prefaced it by saying it was a narrow definition of the term. Every definition I've seen of "Middle East" includes Egypt, which is a North African country. The rest of the Maghreb is often included in the term "Greater Middle East".

I'm not dead set against including Iran and/or Turkey in a Middle East poll, I simply would prefer that they have their own polls so that they don't dominate the results.
I guess that's the modern, American definition of the term maybe, but originally Middle East meant the space between the Near East (ie the Ottoman Empire) and India, so modern-day Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, parts of the Caucasus and Afghanistan. It's gradually shifted west as a notion to include the Arabian peninsula, to the point that "Near East" isn't used much anymore, but Egypt is still on the fringes of what's considered Middle East usually.

If Iran is not included, I still think "Arab world" makes more sense as a name than Middle East + North Africa.

Edited by Teproc, Nov 12 2017, 06:02:01 PM.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

For Africa and Middle East just make Africa Africa. No need to transfer any of these countries to the middle east.

tobias
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I find that a very weird definition of Middle East. It has to include Turkey, Cyprus & Iran and definitely not Morocco. Libya, Sudan & Afghanistan are considerations.

I'm personally not a big fan of the way the term is used today (as being almost synonymous with the old definition of Near East) but I would propose to use it like it is used today and not skew it in some weird way because otherwise the poll is not representative of its name. In this sense Egypt would definitely have to be included aswell though, so no cutting off Arica entirely. I would be in favour of just using the Wikipedia definition.

If there is desire to make in- and exclusions somewhat along the lines of Fergenaprido's proposal, it should really be a poll on the Arab world.

But no matter what definition I will not have seen enough films to make a meaningful contribution but I will probably throw in a vote for a few of my favorites.
Edited by tobias, Nov 13 2017, 01:30:21 AM.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
rnilsson19
Nov 11 2017, 05:59:02 PM
I'd say ditch the french one and go with film scores. That's one poll I would really like to see as it's fairly hard to find truly good film scores recommendations in my experience.
Basically ditto to this.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Teproc
Nov 12 2017, 06:00:59 PM
Fergenaprido
Nov 12 2017, 02:09:52 PM
Teproc

I guess that's the modern, American definition of the term maybe, but originally Middle East meant the space between the Near East (ie the Ottoman Empire) and India, so modern-day Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, parts of the Caucasus and Afghanistan. It's gradually shifted west as a notion to include the Arabian peninsula, to the point that "Near East" isn't used much anymore, but Egypt is still on the fringes of what's considered Middle East usually.

If Iran is not included, I still think "Arab world" makes more sense as a name than Middle East + North Africa.

I largely agree with this; I've had already a discussion or two on this topic on this forum, and a couple over the years on IMDb. To me it is and always will be more cultural than geographic; the Egyptian and Tunisian cinemas have far more in common with Syrian or Lebanese cinema than with Senegalese, South African or Kenyan cinema. And much of it has to do with "Arab" culture. But of course Iran, Turkey and Israel are not Arab cultures and they certainly belong in the "middle east" rather than Africa.

It's a dicey issue to be sure but I guess I'm ok with it however it's decided. Worth considering perhaps is that if Egypt is included with Africa rather than the middle east it will likely totally dominate that poll. On the other hand it will be overshadowed by Iran in a middle eastern poll. Eh, life isn't fair.

Caracortada
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I would rather see a Benelux poll than a poll on France, because we've had France already and the results probably wouldn't be that different. Ideally all geographical areas could be done at one point.

Panunzio
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
Why can't there be some overlap in terms of the Middle Eats and Africa polls? Countries like Egypt clearly belong to both, and I don't see why Egyptian films can't be represented in both polls. Beyond that, the definitions used on Wikipedia seem straightforward enough.
Edited by Panunzio, Nov 16 2017, 11:20:21 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Our lists and projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone