Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th), Match 1D (Mar 21st)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum's Favorite Road Trip Movies; Nominations: Deadline Nov 30th
Topic Started: Nov 6 2017, 07:35:50 PM (1,262 Views)
joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
iCM Forum's Favourite Road Trip Movies
Posted Image

The deadline is 30th November 2017
Countdown till deadline

• Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Your list may be ranked, unranked, or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.

List length and halflife to be decided later.

I'm not going to debate whether or not certain movies can be called road trip movies. Feel free to discuss it, if you like, but nothing will be excluded. If enough people agree a movie fits the theme, it will enter the list.

participants: 28
Edited by joachimt, Dec 1 2017, 08:05:02 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'm wondering if Le salaire de la peur and Sullivan's Travels would qualify for this. Opinions?
Edited by jvv, Nov 6 2017, 07:54:52 PM.

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
jvv
Nov 6 2017, 07:53:14 PM
I'm wondering if Le salaire de la peur and Sullivan's Travels would qualify for this. Opinions?
They both include significant road trips, don't see why not
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
too wired to concentrate, good for Nothing
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025938631/

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
So anyhing wih travelling, or do it have to be on roads?

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025923502/ (ranked)

mathiasa
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/fav+road+movies/mathiasa/

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
mathiasa
Nov 6 2017, 08:25:53 PM
403 error - access denied

mathiasa
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Nov 6 2017, 08:55:28 PM
mathiasa
Nov 6 2017, 08:25:53 PM
403 error - access denied
sorry, it‘s public now.

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
you are your faith - lose it and you're not
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025924426/ (ranked)
Edited by Perception de Ambiguity, Nov 7 2017, 12:04:38 AM.

RogerTheMovieManiac88
Member Avatar
Gold-digger
 *  *  * ]
Carmel1379
Nov 6 2017, 08:06:13 PM
Hehe, how are 'Pociag' and 'Stagecoach' road movies? Interesting list you have there.

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
too wired to concentrate, good for Nothing
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Nov 7 2017, 12:22:20 AM
Carmel1379
Hehe, how are 'Pociag' and 'Stagecoach' road movies? Interesting list you have there.
It's funny that you singled out those two titles, because they both actually have a mode of transportation in their titles.

If "road trip movies" just means cars / motors + car / motor roads, that's fine, but unless told otherwise I'll include more modes of transportation where the journey they enable for an ensemble set of characters, is intrinsic to the dynamics and succession of the film, contributing to the particular atmospheres created by that mode of transportation and the growth of the characters which are moving, journeying, tripping, away from their respective 'everyday lives'.

('Stagecoach' I don't particularly care for, so I suppose I could sack it off.)

RogerTheMovieManiac88
Member Avatar
Gold-digger
 *  *  * ]
Carmel1379
Nov 7 2017, 12:39:29 AM
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Carmel1379
It's funny that you singled out those two titles, because they both actually have a mode of transportation in their titles.

If "road trip movies" just means cars / motors + car / motor roads, that's fine, but unless told otherwise I'll include more modes of transportation where the journey they enable for an ensemble set of characters, is intrinsic to the dynamics and succession of the film, contributing to the particular atmospheres created by that mode of transportation and the growth of the characters which are moving, journeying, tripping, away from their respective 'everyday lives'.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I think I'll probably just limit myself to films that feature trips on a road if I get around to making a list.

RBG
Member Avatar
notorious
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025929588/

unranked

i love spring breakers and journey to italy but i just can't think of them as road trip movies :/
Edited by RBG, Nov 7 2017, 12:51:05 AM.

gromit82
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Here's my list as it currently stands.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025928298/
(ranked)

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm also trying to figure out what qualifies as a "road trip" movie. I like Carmel's definition to start: "modes of transportation where the journey they enable for an ensemble set of characters, is intrinsic to the dynamics and succession of the film, contributing to the particular atmospheres created by that mode of transportation and the growth of the characters which are moving, journeying, tripping, away from their respective 'everyday lives'."

I don't keep track of these in my spreadsheet, but I do keep track of "journey" films, where characters undertake a journey for a significant portion of the film (not only by car and including on foot). I guess I'll start with that list and pare it down.

blocho
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, is there an official ruling on whether this is only roads or non-road transportation is included? I'd favor the more restrictive only roads designation. If not, then this should just be a favorite travel movie poll (plus, I think train movies deserve their own poll).

Also, do chase movies qualify as road movies? Discuss.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Perception de Ambiguity
Nov 7 2017, 12:04:18 AM
tehe

nimimerkillinen
Member Avatar
Polar Beard
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
would the road qualify as road trip movie? :P

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025966522/ let me know if you think some doesnt fit because my recollection isnt very good

nimimerkillinen
Member Avatar
Polar Beard
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
albajos
Nov 6 2017, 08:12:16 PM
im excluding sea and airtravel at least but i dont mind excluding train and foot travel

rnilsson19
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025922018/

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
These theme polls usually turn out quite interesting, and have more debate than any others. I'll abstain, simply because I really don't know where to begin. I will grab my popcorn, and enjoy the ride, though!
Edited by Nathan Treadway, Nov 7 2017, 07:22:57 AM.

RogerTheMovieManiac88
Member Avatar
Gold-digger
 *  *  * ]
blocho
Nov 7 2017, 04:14:11 AM
So, is there an official ruling on whether this is only roads or non-road transportation is included? I'd favor the more restrictive only roads designation. If not, then this should just be a favorite travel movie poll (plus, I think train movies deserve their own poll).

I'm with you. Also, yes, train movies absolutely deserve a specially dedicated poll. That would be something awesome! I don't see any reason why chase movies shouldn't qualify.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
nimimerkillinen
Nov 7 2017, 06:57:39 AM
albajos
Nov 6 2017, 08:12:16 PM
im excluding sea and airtravel at least but i dont mind excluding train and foot travel
Yes, but f.ex. Lord of the Rings is adventure. Experiencing new thing is right there in the genre.

So I'm excluding Adventure movies too.

perceval
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
So far: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025923765

RogerTheMovieManiac88
Member Avatar
Gold-digger
 *  *  * ]
perceval
Nov 7 2017, 07:27:22 AM
Great to see Barnet's 'Alyonka' in your list, perceval. What an extraordinary visual experience that one is. Certainly one of my very favourites from this great director.

mathiasa
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Nov 7 2017, 12:44:47 AM
Carmel1379
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Carmel1379

Cool, thanks for the reply. I think I'll probably just limit myself to films that feature trips on a road if I get around to making a list.
It is nor clear to me what your point is, Stagecoach is feature film showing a trip on a road.

Maybe you‘re thinking of subtypes of roads only, like streets or highways instead of the much general term that is road.

That they travel on a road is also mentioned on wikipedia: „Further along the road, the stage comes across the Ringo Kid (John Wayne), whose horse went lame and left him afoot“
Edited by mathiasa, Nov 7 2017, 07:57:02 AM.

perceval
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Nov 7 2017, 07:36:19 AM
perceval
Nov 7 2017, 07:27:22 AM
Great to see Barnet's 'Alyonka' in your list, perceval. What an extraordinary visual experience that one is. Certainly one of my very favourites from this great director.
I feel the same way (though, still have a lot to watch by Barnet).

RogerTheMovieManiac88
Member Avatar
Gold-digger
 *  *  * ]
mathiasa
Nov 7 2017, 07:48:37 AM
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Nov 7 2017, 12:44:47 AM
Carmel1379
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Carmel1379

It is nor clear to me what your point is, Stagecoach is feature film showing a trip on a road.

Maybe you‘re thinking of subtypes of roads only, like streets or highways instead of the much general term that is road.

That they travel on a road is also mentioned ob wikipedia: „Further along the road, the stage comes across the Ringo Kid (John Wayne), whose horse went lame and left him afoot“
Haha, okay. It's been an awfully long time since I saw that seminal western so my memory might be off. If people see it as fitting the bill, that's great.

Panunzio
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'll probably rearrange, add, and remove before the deadline, but here's my ranked list.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025924475/

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Nov 7 2017, 07:23:24 AM
blocho
Nov 7 2017, 04:14:11 AM

I'm with you. Also, yes, train movies absolutely deserve a specially dedicated poll. That would be something awesome! I don't see any reason why chase movies shouldn't qualify.
Yes, but there are a number of train movies that I wouldn't consider road trip/journey movies. They often tend to take place only on the train, and it's merely an interesting setting instead of a proper journey where characters interact with the places they pass through along the way. According to my spreadsheet I've only seen 6 films on/about trains (vs. 120 journey films), but I'm sure I've seen more and just haven't tagged them properly. Going through other people's lists has helped me properly tag a lot of these journey films, so I should be able to put together a decent list.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
nimimerkillinen
Nov 7 2017, 06:56:08 AM
would the road qualify as road trip movie? :P
What about Benning's Small Roads? :P

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
didn't reach 50... still a lot of road to travel...
Spoiler: click to toggle

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Is there any of those movie you vote for that is missing Road movie as keyword on imdb?

Wonder if I just should go the easy route and just use that

RBG
Member Avatar
notorious
stagecoach certainly is a road trip movie. i voted for wagon master instead though

alyonka is the russian 'stagecoach' ;) i agree about train movies deserving their own poll too

glad someone else included touki bouki, i was iffy on that one.

if i had to rank, im kwon-taek's mandala would be at the top. also more people should see salce's il federale!

this is a fav genre of mine :wub:
Edited by RBG, Nov 7 2017, 01:57:59 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
beavis
Nov 7 2017, 01:06:19 PM
didn't reach 50... still a lot of road to travel...
Spoiler: click to toggle
Here it is as a list:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025942746/

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
once again my thanks Joachim!

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Carmel1379
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Carmel1379

I really like your definition of the genre.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls025944842

1-13 ranked. 14 onwards unranked

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Minilist from me, ranked.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/lets+all+go+to+the+beach/72allinncallme/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Our lists and projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone