Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1948 (Results), 1987 awards (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 25th), South-East Asia (Apr 27th), New official lists (Nominations Apr 29th), 1958 awards (Apr 30th)
Challenges: TSPDT, France, 1970s
Film of the Week: Vale Abraão
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1F (Apr 25th), Match 1G (May 13th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
iCMFF: Arthouse Thread
Topic Started: Nov 20 2017, 02:03:07 AM (618 Views)
outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Welcome to the 2017 iCheckMovies Film Festival!

This is the first annual festival to be held here on the iCM Forum, and the third of its kind which originally started on the IMDb message boards (you know, back when those existed).

For the full program guide and a brief explanation of what the festival is, look no further than here.
For the unofficial challenge thread, look no further than here.

Please rate the films the films you've seen on a scale from 1-10 to help contribute to this year's Audience Award. This is not connected to the Unofficial Challenge and therefore it does not matter when you saw the films in question.

Other sections:

Main Slate
English-Language Independents
International (I and II)
Animation
LGBT
Documentaries
Just Before Dawn
Shorts Programs

This is the thread where we rate and discuss the films in this year's Arthouse section:

Quote:

(Be)Longing [Volta à Terra] dir. João Pedro Plácido. 2014, 78 min. Posted Image
This gorgeously photographed fly-on-the-wall documentary moves to its own rhythm as it regards the dying way of life of rural farmers in the mountains of northern Portugal. Like Le Quattro Volte before it, this is an escape from the demands of modern life to something more primal.

Posted Image

La deuxieme nuit dir. Eric Pauwels. 2016, 75 min. Posted Image
In this intimate essay film, filmmaker Eric Pauwels reflects on the memories he has of his late mother and how she helped form his identity as a director. The final part of a trilogy of similarly personal films.

Posted Image

Homo Sapiens dir. Nikolaus Geyrhalter. 2016, 94 min. Posted Image
A hypnotically beautiful work of art, Homo Sapiens unfolds as a series of stunning shots of abandoned places throughout the world. Each frame of this wordless documentary is framed with the same precision as a Kubrick shot, embodying minimalist cinema at its most beautiful.

Posted Image

Der Samurai dir. Till Kleinert. 2014, 79 min. Posted Image
Starring: Michel Diercks, Pit Bukowski, and Uwe Preuss.
An average cop matches wits with a cross-dressing, katana-wielding killer in Kleinert’s assured, surreal debut feature, an arthouse twist on slasher-movie tropes that grows more bizarre and violent with every scene.

Posted Image

Edited by outdoorcats, Nov 20 2017, 02:21:23 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Homo Sapiens - 8/10

Only movie in the film festival I have already seen. I think it was a recommendation by Arthur. It's surprising how much beauty there can be in decay.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

matthewscott8
Member Avatar
Sup-p-per Troup-p-per
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm coming to this section last, so hold tight. Reason being I have a number of dvds on order with quite late delivery dates. Looks like a sweet line-up hopefully.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
matthewscott8
Nov 21 2017, 02:14:03 PM
I'm coming to this section last, so hold tight. Reason being I have a number of dvds on order with quite late delivery dates. Looks like a sweet line-up hopefully.
Yes, more or less the same. A bit sad as this is the category I perhaps is the most excited about, but it is also the only category I am judging I have not seen anything from so will likely prioritize completing the others.

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Der Samurai (2014) 6/10

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Der Samurai 5/10

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Volta à Terra aka (Be)Longing - 8/10

Great cinematography, and even though some scenes seem staged to me, overall it feels pretty real.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I clearly spoke to soon what I said I would save arthouse for last. Already seen all 4.

Volta à Terra / (Be)Longing (2014, João Pedro Plácido)
I was really looking forward to (Be)Longing, and in many ways it did set up the atmosphere I was interested in, painting a strong picture of the farmers and their lives - and even set up the clash with the rest of civilization, which was very interesting.

However, the digital style simply felt unflattering, and as it was continueing it never really managed to establish itself as the kind of contemplative cinema that grabs you and keeps you focused. I did however really ewnjoy the extent to which they managed to make this documentary feel like a fluid film, likely through heavy scripting, but still felt largely true to life. 7/10.

La deuxieme nuit / The Second Night (2016, Eric Pauwels)
The Second Night is a beautiful and self-reflective essay-film, that captures the beauty of life, family, and the frail connections we build. As his mother is dying, a filmmaker makes sense of their life together, their connection and the loss he is feeling, and as the separation becomes clear he moves onto The Second Night (or rather the Second Second Night).

Using the metaphore of the separation between mother and child after birth, all emotions are explored in a collage of memories, real and recreated. Wonderfully pure cinema it was impossible for me not to fall in-love with, and without a doubt my favorite first time viewing of the festival. 9.5/10.

Note: After seeing The Second Night I immediately got "A Letter From a Filmmaker to His Daughter", another great essay film in much the same style, though shorter and without the same amount of power. Sadly Pauwels has very few listings on IMDb (I will try to watch all), but the way he speaks he has been making cinema in one way or another since the 70s. Any idea if these were ever distributed?

Homo Sapiens (2016, Nikolaus Geyrhalter)
Beautifully atmospheric, and the closest to what you could call ambient cinema, Homo Sapiens brings forth a feeling of emptiness and remorse, but also a sense of peace, through remembrances of what was there - namely us, Homo Sapiens. Not a single human is seen - only "our" abandoned creations. Tarnished stages, abandanoed amusement camps, bicycles left in a parking lot - all overgrown, all seeming as his humanity has been extinct for decades. It's an incredible experience. 8.5/10.

Der Samurai (2015, Till Kleinert)
An extremely mixed bag, but not without it's potential. The absurd sexual and magical/psycological undertones are very intruiging, as we are unsure if we are inside the cops head, or just what this samurai is a manifestation of. Even as the film takes a more conventional narrative, the surrealistic/stylistic overtones makes almost every interpretation available.

The grungy atmosphere actually gives it a very similar feeling The Nightmare from the main slate. For a long time I was battling out whether or not it was great, riding on the atmosphere, or simply good - by looking at what was more apparantly there, but as the end really turns into an odd childish and campy joke, which actually could have been incredible given what say Miike has done with similar endings, but here fell flat. 6/10.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Volta à terra (Plácido, 2014) — Being somewhat familiar with a rural environment very similar to the one portrayed here, I must say that it does a very good job describing in a succinct way many of the present daily affairs of the villagers; not only that, it manages to make it look really beautiful thanks to a gorgeous photography that refers often to naturalistic painting. 8/10

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
La deuxième nuit (2016): 8.0 - sincere, serene, humane and moving.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
La deuxième nuit - 8/10

Obviously a very personal film for the director.

matthewscott8
Member Avatar
Sup-p-per Troup-p-per
 *  *  *  * ]
I can feel that this weekend will be a hardcore arty hard for me. My Der Samurai DVD arrived which is a positive, I thought it was going to come after the end of the festival.

I will try and get animation done during the week.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Der Samurai - 6/10

Stylish and atmospheric, but not much of a story.
Edited by jvv, Dec 5 2017, 02:51:45 PM.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Homo sapiens (Geyrhalter, 2016) - Intriguing and perfectly shot (it has to be seen in at least 720p), it unfolds like a gorgeous architecture book where many of its images could inspire dozens of settings for horror and science fiction films. 9/10

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. la deuxieme nuit - 8.6
2. der samurai - 7.8
3. volta a terra - 7.3
4. homo sapiens - 7

WoW, Eric Pauwels, a true discovery of the ICMfestival, and by the looks of it I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Very happy about that. I think this is the only movie and filmmaker I had not heard about before, and the movie gets the highest rating of all sections from me! He might have learned the craft from Jean Rouch, but somehow his work made me think more of Ben Rivers. His style is mostly original though and an excellent example of the essay-movie genre. I loved what he was telling and showing.

Der Samurai is indeed stylistically and thematically linked with Der Nachtmahr and Girls Lost... a kind of dark psychological fantasy theme that runs through this entire festival. I am not complaining! Loved the dreamlike quality of this one. Some excellent cinematography too.

With Volta a Terra there is actually little contemplation going on and the setup of this kind of rural doc has also been done a bit too much lately... that said, I did came to like main character Daniel very much. Liked his style and his acting.

To say Homo Sapiens shows some impressive images is a bit obvious... but then, I felt there actually wasn't much else going on... The idea is simple and it lacked some tension in the editing that for instance a James Benning could have brought to this. Still liked it though. But I feel the praise it got last year was a bit overrated at times.
Edited by beavis, Dec 7 2017, 08:16:19 PM.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Volta à Terra ((Be)Longing) (2014) : 7.8 - The stuff with the girl felt staged indeed. (Or the filmmakers just lucked out with that really happening). I felt at times the filmmakers tried to make the country-life seem more idyllic than it really is. Although they also weren't afraid of showing of two lead characters lesser sides, like in taking out their frustrations on the poor cows. But overal a good tranquil fly-on-the-wall documentary about a way of life that's totally different than mine even though we live in the same Union.

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
you are your faith - lose it and you're not
Volta à Terra / (Be)Longing (João Pedro Plácido, 2014)

Very much the kind of film that tends to resonate with me, the day to day very secular hardships of life in a small rural community that is to some extent removed from the commercial lifestyle and so-called modernity, living with the seasons and with traditions, and relying on each other,… and while I enjoyed spending time in Volta à terra’s world for me it was just kind of there.

Old comment/description:

Homo Sapiens (Nikolaus Geyrhalter, 2016)

aka http://abandoned.photos/ - The Movie

wordless & music-less experimental documentary without experimentation, semi-structural Ruinenlust film, post-apocalyptic/post-human earth evocation, screensaver cinema, meditative mood piece, static-camera ruins-amidst-wind-and-rain study

La deuxième nuit (Eric Pauwels, 2016)

personal love letter, essay film

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
Nur dein Auge–ungeheuer / Blickt mich's an, Unendlichkeit!
Der Samurai (2014, Till Kleinert) 5

Volta à Terra / (Be)Longing (2014, João Pedro Plácido) 5

La deuxiéme nuit (2016, Eric Pauwels) 7+

Some people have recounted that when they submerged their head and body inside a bath, they’d remember the feeling and memory of being inside the warmth and safety of their mother’s womb. But even if that were true, the feeling is only transient and artificial.

The second night - the night the baby has to spend on its own, drafted from the womb, isolated and cold - is used as a metaphor for the self-conscious adult and solitary stage of ones life, when ones loved ones are either gone or dead, and when the little things from ones childhood, remain only vestiges evoking nostalgia and hazy recollections [note the many blurred shots in the film], glimpses of the good past, when one was young. Paradise lost. Losing your mother (who gave you this life) and past, to become an individual.

“Today, I would like to film the world as I once saw it in my childhood. But that isn’t really possible.”

Making a(n essay) film, telling some story, fragmentarily documenting the embraced childhood, and the elations it created. Attempting the impossible task of evoking it, capturing it at its most ephemeral and personal, even going back in time. For many reasons, those are considered the best moments in the chaotic infinite. You remember your mother holding your hand in the dark forest amidst the thunderstorm, sans soleil.

Emily: Emily Prime, there is another reason I have contacted you today. You retain an early memory that I have forgotten, that was very important to me. I wish to retrieve it from you before I die. I shall extract this memory from you now.
Emily Prime: This is me. And mommy. This is me and mommy walking. This is me and mommy walking.
Emily: Thank you, Emily. This will bring me great comfort in the days ahead.

‘La deuxiéme nuit’ is dedicated to “mommy”. “Making films about you, is making films about freedom.”

Homo sapiens (2016, Nikolaus Geyrhalter) 8

Beautiful. But I don’t mean that in the depressive-ascetic (Kantian/Schoppenhauerian) dis-interested, dis-engaged, “pure”, “perfect” way (beauty as truth, the ‘truth’ being the ruins of civilisation linked to the “logical order of things”, “look what we humans leave behind”, or something like that). I mean it in the most positive, overflowing, productive, and mad (Nietzschean/Deleuzo-Guattarian) way, i.e. the film constellates a gorgeously hyper-bleak world, where bleakness is another endorsed quality - an enigmatic zone of alterity (to our conscious organ). The flow of time (as PdA mentioned) makes all the difference here, such that each shot radiates an ambient intensity belonging to that perplexing ghostly zone. Resonant echoes of abandoned places. An overcoming of anthropocentric-associations, and a movement towards new unknowns. Post-human impersonal machinic reality must not be marginalised: I celebrate and desire these scattered, crumbling, decaying architectural vestiges of what-once-was-ordered-&-human in every way; all these natural processes, liquids, winds, grey skies, sounds, lights, nonhuman fauna and flora, mechanics, molecules, waves, deserts, earths, rocks, climate conditions, rains gradually dissolving stones, and annihilating passions of the cyclones. They’re insurgent unconscious creative sick eruptions over time in themselves. This is the setting of one of my favourite films ever - ‘Himizu’.
Edited by Carmel1379, Dec 9 2017, 03:24:08 AM.

Melvelet
Member Avatar
À la recherche du temps perdu...
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Der Samurai 6/10

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
you are your faith - lose it and you're not
Time to decide on a winner, gang!

My ranking and ratings:

Homo Sapiens dir. Nikolaus Geyrhalter. 2016, 94 min. - 8.6
La deuxieme nuit dir. Eric Pauwels. 2016, 75 min. - 8.2
(Be)Longing [Volta à Terra] dir. João Pedro Plácido. 2014, 78 min. - 5.0
Der Samurai dir. Till Kleinert. 2014, 79 min. - 2.7

So, in conclusion it's certainly either 'Homo Sapiens' or 'La deuxieme nuit' for me. Either of them taking home the prize certainly is totally fine with me, either would make for a very worthy winner, IMHO.

Objections? Contact me, let's talk about it. ^_^
Edited by Perception de Ambiguity, Dec 13 2017, 12:54:42 AM.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I have the exact same two top candidates, though La deuxiéme nuit would be my choice by far.

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
Nur dein Auge–ungeheuer / Blickt mich's an, Unendlichkeit!
'Homo Sapiens' or 'La deuxieme nuit' for me too (with a slight preference towards the former). Does anyone have a fair coin?

weirdboy
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have only watched Volta à Terra and Homo Sapiens so far, but Homo Sapiens is definitely my favorite of those two.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
La deuxieme nuit is the best for the entire festival for me, and I found Homo Sapiens, while good, to be a bit overrated
so my vote is clear

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Without Matthew here it would seem La deuxieme nuit wins quite easily, but great to see popularity of Homo Sapiens as well. Though my personal favorite of the festival is A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, I cannot deny that La deuxieme nuit is a very close second, and without a doubt my best new viewing of the festival (and easily one my the 10 favorite new viewings in 2017).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · General Film Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone