Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1948 (Results), 1987 awards (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 25th), South-East Asia (Apr 27th), New official lists (Nominations Apr 29th), 1958 awards (Apr 30th)
Challenges: TSPDT, France, 1970s
Film of the Week: Vale Abraăo
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1F (Apr 25th), Match 1G (May 13th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
iCMFF: Documentary Section
Topic Started: Nov 20 2017, 02:04:43 AM (680 Views)
outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Welcome to the 2017 iCheckMovies Film Festival!

This is the first annual festival to be held here on the iCM Forum, and the third of its kind which originally started on the IMDb message boards (you know, back when those existed).

For the full program guide and a brief explanation of what the festival is, look no further than here.
For the unofficial challenge thread, look no further than here.

Please rate the films the films you've seen on a scale from 1-10 to help contribute to this year's Audience Award. This is not connected to the Unofficial Challenge and therefore it does not matter when you saw the films in question.

Other sections:

Main Slate
English-Language Independents
International (I and II)
Animation
LGBT
Arthouse
Just Before Dawn
Shorts Programs

This is the thread where we rate and discuss the films in this year's Documentary section:

Quote:

The Barkley Marathons Dir. Annika Iltis and Timothy James Kane. 2014, 89 min. Posted Image
Profiling “The Hardest Trail Race in the World” (in 25 years, only 10 have completed it) and the individuals from around the world determined to compete in it, this quirky documentary contemplates the limits of human physical pain and the psychology of “ultrarunners.”

Posted Image

Bo Burnham: Make Happy dir. Bo Burnham and Christopher Storer. 2016, 60 min. Posted Image
More existential monologue than stand-up special, Make Happy finds the comedian battling depression and his own audience as he tackles topics such as mental illness and suicide with his trademark caustic wit.

Posted Image

National Gallery dir. Frederick Wiseman. 2014, 180 min. Posted Image
With National Gallery, documentary titan Wiseman takes a lengthy look behind the scenes of the National Gallery in London England and the daily lives and dilemmas faced by the staff at a great art museum.

Posted Image

Tales of the Grim Sleeper dir. Nick Broomfield. 2014, 110 min. Posted Image
Nick Broomfield flies to Los Angeles following the arrest of Lonnie David Franklin Jr., aka the “Grim Sleeper,” a serial killer who terrorized South Central Los Angeles for the better part of 30 years while a disinterested LAPD and city government looked on. As Broomfield interviews those close to Franklin, he uncovers shocking revelations and personally uncovers dozens of witnesses and victims of Franklin's crimes who were never approached by the police or city prosecutors. Two hours have never flown by faster in this surefire discussion-starter at the intersection of race, crime, and misogyny.

Posted Image

Tickled dir. David Farrier and Dylan Reeve. 2016, 92 min. Posted Image
A documentary about journalist David Farrier’s investigation into an online “endurance tickling competition” turns into something much different when the story turns into a reflexive one about a legal battle between the filmmakers and the mysterious media group trying to block their film from being made.

Posted Image
Edited by outdoorcats, Nov 20 2017, 02:21:47 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh Documentaries... how I love thee. I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that I had already seen 2/5 from this section of the FF. So let me kick this off:

Bo Burnham: Make Happy: 10/10

This is, with very little doubt in my mind, my favorite stand-up special of all time. I have watched this special six times already this year (seven times overall), and I love it each and every time I watch it. This is definitely a meta special - he takes aim both at comedy and pop music, but does it in a way that's so funny that you almost forget it's meta. His songs mocking musical genres are actually good - he sings well and has musical accompaniment that can rival many top stars, but the songs are hilarious (and catchy). There are quite a few bits where he mocks himself and the format of his comedy. This is the sort of special that pushes of the limits of what stand-up comedy can be.

And on a related note, my wife and I randomly screaming "eat a dick!" at each other has become an integral part of our marital vocabulary after watching this special.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Tales of the Grim Sleeper: Solid documentary. Nothing new or exciting. It doesn't break boundaries but presents its story in a very efficient and engaging way at times. 7/10

Tickled: One of the most off-beat documentaries I've seen. It unravels from an investigation into a weird "sport" into a monster of a story. The secrecy of the investigation and the ridiculous threats are so intriguing. This is an investigative documentary and does its job well. There is nothing innovative about this film, except for the subject. The movie uses standard forms for presenting investigative documentaries but adds nothing to the cinematic art. However it is at times very entertaining. 7/10

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Bo Burnham: Make Happy: I don't know in what universe a comedy special is considered a film, but I guess at least 2 programmers had to agree with it. This shit is bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S! Comedy specials rarely have cinematographic value; for the first 30 seconds, I was started to think that I might have been wrong to judge something before seeing it, but then the show actually started. This is not only a comedy special, it is an as WHITE as can be comedy special. I was shocked that there wasn't a single person of color in the audience ("I was being sarcastic in case you didn't notice," said Bo). Here are some things that are as white as this comedy special: white bread, vanilla ice cream, brunch, golf, the Midwest, the Alt-Right, etc... On top of that, it was not funny at all; actually, it was kind of offensive. So anyway, please think about cinematic art next time you guys choose films, please. Are we allowed to give minus points? If not, 0/10

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Nov 20 2017, 11:14:04 PM
Oh Documentaries... how I love thee. I was very pleasantly surprised to learn that I had already seen 2/5 from this section of the FF. So let me kick this off:

This is, with very little doubt in my mind, my favorite stand-up special of all time. I have watched this special six times already this year (seven times overall), and I love it each and every time I watch it. This is definitely a meta special - he takes aim both at comedy and pop music, but does it in a way that's so funny that you almost forget it's meta. His songs mocking musical genres are actually good - he sings well and has musical accompaniment that can rival many top stars, but the songs are hilarious (and catchy). There are quite a few bits where he mocks himself and the format of his comedy. This is the sort of special that pushes of the limits of what stand-up comedy can be.

And on a related note, my wife and I randomly screaming "eat a dick!" at each other has become an integral part of our marital vocabulary after watching this special.
First of all, let me ask you a question, are you white?

Second, Really??? I mean, really??? Like for reals, really??????

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I've not heard of this Burnham guy before the ICMFF and I am yet to watch the special (I will watch it within the next week) and I was curious if in fact it would just be stand-up or something more film-y, but it is quite amazing to see two drastically differing opinions on it.
I guess with comedy that is always potentially the case, especially when you tackle delicate subject matter. I remember watching this one comedian and he was riffing on 911, USA's military culture and rape and it all felt awkward at the best of times, vomit inducing at the worst. There are some things that you just shouldn't make fun of in a particular way otherwise it's like
Spoiler: click to toggle
, ouch - took that one from an event in
, a film in our festival.
Edited by Eve-Lang-El-Coup, Nov 22 2017, 07:42:28 AM.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Nov 22 2017, 07:41:42 AM
I've not heard of this Burnham guy before the ICMFF and I am yet to watch the special (I will watch it within the next week) and I was curious if in fact it would just be stand-up or something more film-y, but it is quite amazing to see two drastically differing opinions on it.
I guess with comedy that is always potentially the case, especially when you tackle delicate subject matter. I remember watching this one comedian and he was riffing on 911, USA's military culture and rape and it all felt awkward at the best of times, vomit inducing at the worst. There are some things that you just shouldn't make fun of in a particular way otherwise it's like
, ouch - took that one from an event in
, a film in our festival.
That is the main problem, the lack of film quality. It was a good stand up show, to me personally not funny, but it had no artistic value whatsoever. If it had artistic value, I could have overlooked its lack of comedic value. I'm a very centrist person; I tend to stand on middle ground on most things, but we're ultimately here to be part of a film festival, not an entertainment festival.

peeptoad
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I didn't sign up to be juror for this section, but I just wanted to put forth a vote for Barkley Marathons, just in case... 9/10. Stellar and hilarious doc imo. ;)

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Barkley Marathons is a fun doc, thanks to the organizer of the event. Lacks some proper context and feels a bit American (as in, overstating its importance), but apart from that a fun watch (6/10)

Tickled was disappointing. I've seen too many docs that just "happen" upon something amazing to really trust them anymore. They try to make it more exciting and thrilling, but all they do is make a badly shot doc more sensationalist. The beginning was okay, the longer it lasted the worse it got (4/10)

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sacmersault
Nov 22 2017, 02:37:38 AM
maxwelldeux
Nov 20 2017, 11:14:04 PM

First of all, let me ask you a question, are you white?

Second, Really??? I mean, really??? Like for reals, really??????
To answer your questions, in order, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

For me, I was not judging this special as an art piece or, to be honest, a documentary. I was judging this relative to stand-up specials. Most stand-up is just some guy (usually) on stage with a microphone telling jokes for a while. The ones with high production value have a background. This was more - and it was often more than what you get from musical comedians (usually just a guy on stage with a guitar or a piano telling jokes). It pushed the boundaries of what stand-up is, and is a rare example of a comedy special that you actually had to watch; 99% of them you can fully absorb just by listening.

I think it would be really interesting to see a state production of this, as I think that format would work better.

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I really enjoyed The Barkley Marathons though for me,

flaiky
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Onderhond
Nov 22 2017, 02:07:43 PM
Tickled was disappointing. I've seen too many docs that just "happen" upon something amazing to really trust them anymore. They try to make it more exciting and thrilling, but all they do is make a badly shot doc more sensationalist. The beginning was okay, the longer it lasted the worse it got (4/10)
I watched it last night. I agree that the set-up feels a bit fake and I doubt that everything unfolded in the exact order it was presented, but hey I can't blame them for manipulating the material into an engaging narrative - and I definitely was hooked from start to finish. I don't question the actual story, and it is a bizarre story. It's so bizarre that if anything, the doc underplays it; I wanted to see more outrage, and more explanations. By the end, I felt like I still didn't know why the videos had been made in the first place, exactly what happened with them, why no-one reported their harassment to the police, etc...Something about the execution is definitely off. It doesn't dig deep enough. I think the same story deserved to be told by a more skilled documentary maker. Anyway, definitely not a waste of time. It's especially interested for exposing how dark and fucked up the internet can get...not that we didin't know that! 7/10

I've already seen Tales of the Grim Sleeper, which I remember as a very effective and disturbing true crime doc. 8/10

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
you are your faith - lose it and you're not
Some people who were dissatisfied partly because they would have liked to see a continuation of the story will be happy to learn that there is a short coda to Tickled, titled The Tickle King, shot during the first few public showings of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K88xF9mOUjc

David D'Amato, by the way, (the guy behind the whole tickling shenanigans) apparently decided to be dead to this world since the March of this month, so that's probably very much the end of this story.

flaiky
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Perception de Ambiguity
Nov 25 2017, 12:57:46 PM
Some people who were dissatisfied partly because they would have liked to see a continuation of the story will be happy to learn that there is a short coda to Tickled, titled The Tickle King, shot during the first few public showings of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K88xF9mOUjc
Wow, was D'Amato king of the passive aggressive or what? Interesting to see so much footage of him, but I think it was distasteful for the filmmakers to also focus on that Kevin guy.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
OK. Just to come back to Bo Burnham's "Make Happy"...

[I'm watching again - yes, for the 7th time this year. This challenge gave me an excuse. Shut up.]

This special makes a whole lot more sense if you've seen his "what." special. The humor is smart inventive (mostly), and includes lots of social commentary (which is something I really love in my comedy). It plays on the style and is very self-aware. But some of what he does also plays on his own style. The "Hey Bo - guess what?... You're a faggot" bit is something that stems from his earlier comedy and how he's been called that a lot throughout this life. The bit with Rob's mom plays on how his shows are extremely scripted. There are more examples, but that would veer dangerously close into my "live blogging" the special, so...

On a semi-related note, the first time I saw the special, I was high as balls (legal state - it's OK), and it blew my mind. A few months later, I watched it again sober, thinking there was no way it was that good - but it was. And I kept watching it. It's comforting to me - he's funny, and it works for both the intellectual side of my brain and the idiot side of my brain. I love it.

Anyway...

I'll have more to say in this thread when the doc challenge kicks off.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Nov 29 2017, 09:30:53 AM
OK. Just to come back to Bo Burnham's "Make Happy"...

[I'm watching again - yes, for the 7th time this year. This challenge gave me an excuse. Shut up.]

This special makes a whole lot more sense if you've seen his "what." special. The humor is smart inventive (mostly), and includes lots of social commentary (which is something I really love in my comedy). It plays on the style and is very self-aware. But some of what he does also plays on his own style. The "Hey Bo - guess what?... You're a faggot" bit is something that stems from his earlier comedy and how he's been called that a lot throughout this life. The bit with Rob's mom plays on how his shows are extremely scripted. There are more examples, but that would veer dangerously close into my "live blogging" the special, so...

On a semi-related note, the first time I saw the special, I was high as balls (legal state - it's OK), and it blew my mind. A few months later, I watched it again sober, thinking there was no way it was that good - but it was. And I kept watching it. It's comforting to me - he's funny, and it works for both the intellectual side of my brain and the idiot side of my brain. I love it.

Anyway...

I'll have more to say in this thread when the doc challenge kicks off.
lol

I guess different strokes for different folk.

From what you're saying, it would have helped a lot to see his previous comedy. I was lost on some of the things he did and didn't get the "inside" joke. I thought is was very interesting when he presented himself as str8. I was sooooooooo sure he was gay (I mean a guy who makes a comedy special and sings a lot of the made up songs in an intimate setting). I've known a lot of gay people doing bits like that at the local gay bars.

Like I've said before it would have also helped if I was white. I just felt the humour was very much directed to that kind of audience (not that that is a bad thing). There are Latino comedians, Black comedians, Gay comedians, etc...and they all have a target audience.

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
The Barkley Marathons: 6/10
National Gallery: 8/10
Make Happy: 6.5/10

Watched the first two a while ago and don't remember enough about them to say too much.

Barkley Marathons I came across on NF and watched simply b/c of the interesting premise. It's a no frills doc about a slightly odd subject. Nothing too memorable but an enjoyable watch.

National Gallery is standard late-period Wiseman, which is to say it's languid and insightful, but not as immediate or energetic as his younger works. The observing camera is of course the one constant, the recurring character in each of Wiseman's docs, and I think it has certainly evolved and noticeably aged over the years. It doesn't linger on the same things, cares about different manifestations of violence and dis/advantage. For better or worse.

Thoughts on Make Happy in the doc challenge thread.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Barkley Marathons: 6/10

This was a rewatch, and I had earlier rated it a 5/10. It was decent, but fell into the "almost" category for me. It was almost suspenseful enough to really sell that final push, but not quite. It almost delved into the psyche of these people and why they would torture themselves, but didn't quite get there. It almost did several things, but just didn't quite get it over that hump into a really great documentary.

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tales of the Grim Sleeper (2014) 4/10
I never would have expected Nick Broomfield's documentary style to lend itself well to the arena of true crime, and it turns out I was right. More interested in presenting a cross-section of people who may have encountered the titular killer than examining the crimes themselves (arguably an impossibility considering the culprit was still in pre-trial custody), it stands or falls based on the quality of its interviewees -- and they alternate pretty evenly between eccentric and really hamming it up (one woman's appearance at the end is especially cringeworthy). As a ground-level look at a community divided by a string of brutal crimes not adequately investigated for potentially racist reasons, it's largely noncommittal. And as a true crime doc it fails entirely.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tickled (2016): 8/10

I'm about 20 minutes into this during one of the tickling scenes when my wife walks into the room and exclaims, "What the hell are you watching - gay porn?!?" Then, on multiple occasions (from another room while she was playing video games), she remarked "This is the weirdest fucking thing I've ever listened to."

I was prepared to hate this documentary. The few plot summaries I had read had this being a doc about tickling competitions. But it's not - it's a mystery/thriller, that happens to be a documentary. The filmmakers built up a great sense of suspense and intrigue throughout the whole film. Nothing about the film was particularly amazing by itself (e.g., framing, music, editing), but the combined effect worked to create a really immersive experience.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Tales of the Grim Sleeper - 5/10

Documentary of the talking heads variety.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Tickled - 7/10

Five or ten minutes in I fully expected that those tickling videos would be sold for a lot of money to some Arabian sheikh, but I guess not.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
jvv and maxwelldeux re: Tickled

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
allisoncm
Dec 2 2017, 06:00:05 PM
jvv and maxwelldeux re: Tickled
Oh good - for almost everyone involved. Thanks for sharing!

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Bo Burnham: Make Happy - 5/10

He sums it up himself quite well:

Y'all ain't never seen a comedy show like this in your fucking life.
And for good reason.
It gets old after a few minutes.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
The Barkley Marathons: Very interesting subject matter. I had never heard of the race. It developed in a very interesting and effective way. Whenever a question started to surge in my head, the director posed the question in the picture and would have someone answer it. Effective storytelling. The editing was not very good, specially the mix of the material shot specifically for the movie and the source material from other mediums. The quality of the outside source material was very subpar both visually and audibly. The story started to become less interesting as it became a sort of reality programme.

A good enough Man vs Himself documentary 6/10

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
The Barkley Marathons - 7/10

It looks like the organizer has a bit of a sadistic streak. He was way too happy when someone failed.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
National Gallery - 4/10

In the other works of Wiseman I've seen there was always a sense of urgency and a social awareness seeping through; I missed that here. I'm exaggerating a little, but this almost felt like one of those corporate introduction videos: here is our department X doing X stuff and here is our department Y doing Y stuff. I did think the restoration parts were interesting, but I was incredibly bored by the guides explaining the paintings.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tales of the Grim Sleeper: 7/10

I may be being a little generous with the rating, but whatever. This documentary seems to have a lot of what I like in documentaries: mystery, intrigue, crime, social justice, etc. But it fell a little flat to me. It's a cool story about the lack of justice being carried out, but this general story has been told a lot, and better. Better editing on this probably would have helped. All in all, while I enjoyed the subject material, the documentary itself was a bit of a miss.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Dec 4 2017, 05:40:55 PM
Tales of the Grim Sleeper: 7/10

I may be being a little generous with the rating, but whatever. This documentary seems to have a lot of what I like in documentaries: mystery, intrigue, crime, social justice, etc. But it fell a little flat to me. It's a cool story about the lack of justice being carried out, but this general story has been told a lot, and better. Better editing on this probably would have helped. All in all, while I enjoyed the subject material, the documentary itself was a bit of a miss.
I think that is completely a fair assessment.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
another section I won't be completing, but time to give the few ratings I have:

Tickled - 7.3
I agree with maxwelldeux that while the parts that build this movie are nothing great in itself, but together they have the effect of a good thriller. Especially because there is the right balance of weird and mundane. The "conspiracy" doesn't go too deep and in the end could be no more than just one guy with his obsession and too much money, but the movie works great i showing how his actions affect so many people and how far a bully can go; unchecked for decades even. In this way it tells a lot about people and the way the world works sometimes.

National Gallery - 7.3
I liked it as an ode to art. But the running time felt a bit streched, certainly towards the end it lacked tension more and more

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
National Gallery: 5/10

There were some gorgeous shots in this, especially at the beginning and end. But this seemed to be two and a half documentaries shoved together into one film. There was the documentary about the art and artists; there was the documentary about the business and bureaucracy of running this museum; to a lesser extent, there was the documentary about learning how to draw and create art. I'm not really an art person, but I did welcome the information about the art and artists, as it did teach me things about art and how to appreciate it. The stuff about running the National Gallery seemed misplaced - either it needed to be a stand-alone film to more fully develop that aspect, or it needed to be cut. I just don't think it worked in with the art well. Similarly, the parts about learning to draw seemed a bit out of place. As a whole, it was definitely slow and lacked any real buildup towards the end; the meandering nature of it didn't keep attention well.

And with that, I've completed Documentary Section of the iCMFF. Thanks for putting this together! It got me out of my comfort zone and watching some docs I wouldn't normally gravitate towards. This was super fun! :thumbsup: :cheers:

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
National Gallery: A good way of introducing the audience into the behind-the-scenes of what happens in a museum. The narrative was a bit all over the place. There were several jarring stories; the feeling of many of these stories contradicted what was being done with other stories, specially the business side of it. There were beautiful shots, stories, but even technically it had some minor problems. I didn't not enjoy this movie at all. Apart from the lack of a clear narrative or more focused view, the film was overlong and what was seen did not excuse the length of it.

The thing that I really enjoyed about this film was the guides and art historians who made the observer see paintings in a different way. They made context central to what seeing a film is. The stories and ways of describing paintings and details was fascinating and changed my perspective of how to see a painting. This however was not enough to enjoy the film. 5/10

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
So I've seen all the documentaries. I have to say I was not generally too impressed with the selection. The one that stood out as a hidden gem or something I would have never seen was The Barkley Marathons, the others however were nothing special or too hyped out already. And I stand by saying that Make Happy should not have even been considered as part of this section.

My ranking of this section:
Tickled 7/10
Tales of the Grim Sleeper 7/10
The Barkley Marathons 6/10
National Gallery 5/10
Make Happy 0/10

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young (Annika Iltis & Timothy James Kane, 2014)

One of the more interesting notions in this documentary for me (paraphrasing its founder): „The constants are pushed to the limit of what they can do and when they are done nobody elses opinion matters to them, they measure their own success or failure.”

Tickled (David Farrier & Dylan Reeve, 2016)

The interesting thing about it for me was how for decades a man successfully hides behind the law, money and the perceived legitimacy of a company.

Tales of the Grim Sleeper (Nick Broomfield, 2014)

Portrait of a community in a documentary that starts out hiding behind the facade of a sensationalist crime investigation. Some great honesty in conversations which you wouldn’t have gotten with people who felt they had more to lose and if it hadn’t been effectively directed more by a member of that community in the form of Pam rather than by her "friends from England".
Edited by Perception de Ambiguity, Dec 8 2017, 10:52:41 PM.

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tickled (2016) 7/10
A creepy investigation into the realm of competitive tickling videos that belongs to the same canon as documentaries like Catfish in revealing the dark, sad underbelly of online interactions. Radically different from the goofy curiosity I went in expecting and all credit to the filmmakers for pursuing their story with such determination. To me that's what makes for a great documentary experience.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
National Gallery (2014): 8.0 - typical Wiseman fly-on-the-wall documentary in which he shows the various aspects that go on in the National Gallery. I would have liked some more scenes of just the public browsing the gallery and a bit less long explanations about the restorations. The long run time allows me to get in a peaceful, tranquil state of mind that suits the subject.

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
Time to decide on a winner, gang!

My ranking and ratings:

Bo Burnham: Make Happy dir. Bo Burnham and Christopher Storer. 2016, 60 min. - 8.8
National Gallery dir. Frederick Wiseman. 2014, 180 min. - 7.3
Tickled dir. David Farrier and Dylan Reeve. 2016, 92 min. - 6.6
Tales of the Grim Sleeper dir. Nick Broomfield. 2014, 110 min. - 6.2
The Barkley Marathons Dir. Annika Iltis and Timothy James Kane. 2014, 89 min. - 5.3

So, in conclusion, nothing else really comes close to 'Bo Burnham: Make Happy' for me. Any arguments that it shouldn't really be considered a documentary or even a proper film and hence automatically ignored I think are largely beside the point given that it did make it into the documentary category and hence also has to be considered now, as different in nature as it might be to the other films. Genre is an artificial box and documentary is a particularly wide field, the whole spectrum of which couldn't nearly be covered by a selection of just five films, so this stand-up show here just happens to be the outliner within this bunch, but that doesn't mean anything.

OK, with this speech out of the way, I understand that comedy, as the saying goes, is subjective...although what isn't...so someone may have strong feelings against "Make Happy" and there would be little point in arguing against that. Any of the films winning would be fine enough with me, except for 'The Barkley Marathons'.
Edited by Perception de Ambiguity, Dec 17 2017, 08:17:48 AM.

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Whoops, didn't get around to watching Tales of The Grim Sleeper and and Barkley Marathons.

Tickled - 7
National Gallery - 7
Bo Burnham - 4

...and good points Perception

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Film Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone