Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Low IMDb Rating Challenge; Official; January 2018
Topic Started: Dec 31 2017, 02:25:36 AM (8,154 Views)
sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Low IMDb Rating Challenge
IMDb ratings are a curious thing. Some films attain low IMDb ratings because the majority of voters disagree with their ideas or politics. Some films attain low IMDb ratings because they are misunderstood, or watched by a majority of viewers expecting something else (Halloween III: Season of the Witch, on two Official Lists, is a perfect example of this). Other films attain low IMDb ratings because the majority of viewers watch them with MST3K commentary, or watch them when drunk or stoned. Or watch films best appreciated when drunk or stoned when they are sober. Other films are enjoyable on a so-bad-it's-good level, but are dismissed by casual filmgoers, leading to very low ratings. And then there are films that are simply downright awful.

This is the thread where we celebrate the all interesting films out there that, for whatever reason, have low IMDb ratings. As discussed on the future polls thread, the cut-off will be films with an IMDb rating of 5.4. This was decided because 1 and 10 are the minimum/maximum ratings on IMDb and 5.5 is the halfway point. If you want to though, you are welcome to give yourself an even stricter rating roof. Want to only watch films with ratings below 4.0? Be my guest. Want to only watch films with ratings below 2.0? Be my guest; just don't complain that sol said it would be okay if you have an entire month watching worthless junk! Want to watch films with ratings above 5.4? Sure, watch what you want, but only films with an IMDb score of or below 5.4 (at the time that you saw them) will be counted in this challenge.

On that note, please don't assume that films that other users have listed here automatically qualify for the Challenge. If a film's rating soars above 5.4 during the month, you unfortunately cannot include it.

Since I will also be posting results of a bonus 'Get Low' limbo challenge, I would like you to include the IMDb rating after the title in your posts. I will be using these ratings to calculate averages; if you would like to save me some trouble, you can calculate your own average too. If you do not include the IMDb rating next to the titles you view, and do not include a list of what you have seen in each post, you will NOT be included in the bonus challenge.

Preferred formatting:
(sample)

1. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) 4.7 on IMDb
2. Poltergeist III (1988) 4.6 on IMDb
3. Body Melt (1993) 5.0 on IMDb

Average IMDb rating: 4.78

Okay, onto the usual stuff:

Goal
Watch as many movies with IMDb ratings of 5.4 or lower as you can from January 1, 2018 to January 31, 2018.

Rules
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of TV episodes counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of music videos counts as one entry.
- The usual miniseries rule applies (ask if unsure).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.

I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.

DEADLINE
Final results will be posted between 11:30am and 12:00pm GMT on February 2 - at which point it will have been February everywhere in the world for almost a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's February on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges, mm?

Stuck for ideas of what to watch? Look no further:

Official Lists
- The first 50 films in the They Shoot Zombies Canon, ordered by IMDb rating
- Some but not all of the films on the Badmovies.org list qualify

Non-Official Lists
- IMDb's Bottom 100 Films

This thread will be updated at least twice a day (more often if I am around and feel like it). Since I am updating manually, I would appreciated it if you to list new films seen in a new post. If you would prefer just to endlessly edit your original post, please let me know so that I remember to check your post.

Participants
RankParticipant# of Watches
1 flavo5000 142
2 psychotronicbeatnik 91
3 OldAle 75
4 Gorro 71
5 albajos 62
6 VincentPrice 47
7 te18 37
8 sol 36
9 ChrisReynolds 35
9 India Istanbul 35
11 jdidaco 30
12 maxwelldeux 20
13 jeroeno 17
14 72allinncallme 12
15 klaus78 10
16 hurluberlu 9
16 Mochard 9
18 mathiasa 7
18 Mate_cosido 7
18 RogerTheMovieManiac88 7
21 Fergenaprido 5
21 lynchs 5
23 cinephage 3
24 3eyes 2
24 Lilarcor 2
24 XxXApathy420XxX 2
27 alisoncm 1
27 blocho 1
27 Good_Will_Harding 1
27 Jimi Antiloop 1
27 jvv 1
27 nimimerkillinen 1
27 sebby 1

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

GET LOW BONUS CHALLENGE

Lowest Average Rating
RatingParticipant# of Watches
2.73 albajos 62
3.53 jeroeno 17
3.65 psychotronicbeatnik 91
3.67 te18 37
3.83 klaus78 10
3.86 cinephage 3
3.94 OldAle 75
3.97 72allinncallme 12
4.00 jvv 1
4.17 maxwelldeux 20
4.25 Lilarcor 2
4.27 India Istanbul 35
4.32 Gorro 71
4.40 Mate_cosido 7
4.46 Mochard 9
4.57 VincentPrice 47
4.61 flavo5000 142
4.70 3eyes 2
4.70 blocho 1
4.80 ChrisReynolds 35
4.80 Good_Will_Harding 1
4.80 Jimi Antiloop 1
4.80 mathiasa 7
4.81 sol 36
5.03 jdidaco 31
5.10 alisoncm 1
5.16 hurluberlu 9
5.40 sebby 1
Edited by sol, Feb 2 2018, 11:22:46 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. Should tie in well with the Sci-Fi challenge, and for several years I've started out on January 1 watching bad movies anyway (cuz it's all uphill from there). Will probably watch a lot of barbarian fantasies for this, also hopefully Coleman Francis and Neil Breen, and perhaps cut down on my large pile of unwatched Albert Pyun (though his ratings have been improving and a lot of them are above the cutoff now. :( )
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh and as far as readily available lists I will pimp albajos' continuing and regularly updated list from The Greatest Film Review Site in the Universe:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/red+letter+medias+best+of+the+worst/albajos/

Noting as you do for the BadMovies list that some of these have ratings too high to qualify. But there's a lot of "quality" stuff there and the reviews are worth watching IMO. May I recommend Elves (rating 4.1) to everyone while we're still in holiday mode?

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
OldAle1
Dec 31 2017, 02:33:11 AM
for several years I've started out on January 1 watching bad movies anyway (cuz it's all uphill from there)
That's a pretty good attitude, actually.

Personally speaking though, I have always tried to watch something excellent as my first first-time-viewing every year in the hope that it sets the tone for a great movie watching year to come. So no, I won't be beginning 2018 with a low IMDb rating film (I have a 3.5 hour critically acclaimed sci-fi flick lined up instead) but yeah, I'll let my love of horror drive this Challenge for me this month. It is a good excuse to plug up some my gaps in the TS Zombies canon.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3.5 hour critically acclaimed SF? Welt am Draht I'm guessing. Enjoy...I think it's the only really successful VR film that has been made to date, but I'm not going to predict your response...

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
-----do fit "well" with January being the month when the studios empty their waste baskets onto the public-----

Did anyone see last year's Monster Trucks?

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
albajos
Dec 31 2017, 02:49:18 AM
-----do fit "well" with January being the month when the studios empty their waste baskets onto the public-----

Did anyone see last year's Monster Trucks?
No but it stars Emma Stone lookalike Jane Levy so I have to someday.

Posted Image

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In! (might regret it...)

I will be using this list as an occasional source https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icheckmovies+-+1000+most+disliked+weighted/rvandam/

Mochard
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in, however not really going to seek out the low rated films, I'm just going to let them come to me! Should be an interesting challenge for sure!

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm excited to explore some of these films in the sobriety state mentioned in the first post... :whistling: :teehee: :innocent:

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Absolutely in. Most of the Police Academy films qualify for this and I just bought the box set :D .

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
Quote:

Non-Official Lists
None? I will take suggestions if you come up with one.

This seems like an obvious one:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/imdb+bottom+100/mightysparks/

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
brokenface
Dec 31 2017, 09:40:54 AM
Quote:

Non-Official Lists
None? I will take suggestions if you come up with one.
This seems like an obvious one:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/imdb+bottom+100/mightysparks/
Noted that Lauren hasn't updated the list since August, but it would be unlikely for any of those to have large rating soars. Added. Thanks. ^_^

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm always watching terrible movies, so of course I have to participate in this challenge.

blueboybob
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
This is the list I'd be working on -- https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/mystery+science+theater+3000+feature+films/mightysparks/

But I just have so much other stuff I want to work on.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Lilarcor
Dec 31 2017, 03:21:25 AM
Quote:

Last updated on Mar 8, 2013

I have a top 250, which was last updated in August:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icms+bottom+top+250/joachimt/

Are people interested in an update of this? Or I can make a longer (temporary) list on IMDb for this challenge, so you can sort it on IMDb-rating. Or only include official checks? Let me know if I can help.

I'm not in, btw.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
In. I decided to limit myself to films that fit one or both of the other challenges.. Given the dearth of lists for this one, here are the doubles & triples I've found (all streaming in the US):

Spoiler: click to toggle

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Dec 31 2017, 01:05:20 PM
Lilarcor
Quote:

Are people interested in an update of this? Or I can make a longer (temporary) list on IMDb for this challenge, so you can sort it on IMDb-rating. Or only include official checks? Let me know if I can help.

I'm not in, btw.
Thanks! Didn't find that one through searching for "dislike" lists, should have searched for bottom too.

I'd be interested in an update of this icm list anytime!

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll certainly be in on this one. I'll be doubling up with the sci-fi/fantasy challenge too, so it'll be fun watching lots of shitty, made up nonsense.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Lilarcor
Dec 31 2017, 02:28:55 PM
joachimt
Lilarcor
Quote:

I'm not in, btw.
Thanks! Didn't find that one through searching for "dislike" lists, should have searched for bottom too.

Updated:

I made it by extracting the top 5000 most disliked titles from iCM. #5000 on that list has 28 dislikes, so anything with less than 28 dislikes won't be on it. I sorted those 5000 by the formula "dislikes/(checks+50)".

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh dear

Posted Image

This one is going to be awesome. Who can beat this poster?

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
jeroeno
Dec 31 2017, 04:13:05 PM
Oh dear

Posted Image

This one is going to be awesome. Who can beat this poster?
Anybody that isn't able or willing to write reviews of what they see for this challenge should at least be required to provide a poster. Not that many are going to beat that.

Assuming this "film" was "successful", I would hope we will eventually see an amalgamation of Exorcist 2: The Heretic and Jaws the Revenge, putting together the worst elements of both films/franchises. Add in some Piranha love too... That would be too great for the mind to comprehend, but I bring you

Revenge of the Shark Exorcist Heretic in 38DD

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
OldAle1
Dec 31 2017, 04:35:26 PM

We should start a crowd funding project to get this movie made. :lol:
Edited by jeroeno, Dec 31 2017, 04:51:33 PM.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
jeroeno
Dec 31 2017, 04:51:21 PM
OldAle1
Dec 31 2017, 04:35:26 PM

We should start a crowd funding project to get this movie made. :lol:
OK, I'd chip in $10. Now we probably just need another 500 folks or so...

Mochard
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Dec 31 2017, 03:23:40 PM
Updated:

I made it by extracting the top 5000 most disliked titles from iCM. #5000 on that list has 28 dislikes, so anything with less than 28 dislikes won't be on it. I sorted those 5000 by the formula "dislikes/(checks+50)".
46 of these have the genre:sci-fi tag which leaves options.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Dec 31 2017, 03:23:40 PM
Lilarcor
Dec 31 2017, 02:28:55 PM
joachimt
Lilarcor
Quote:

I'm not in, btw.

Updated:

Thank you! (l)

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

From that bottom 250 list I recommend seeing The Beast of Yucca Flats. Essential outsider cinema.

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
Oh, definitely in

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
XxXApathy420XxX
Dec 31 2017, 07:52:33 PM
From that bottom 250 list I recommend seeing The Beast of Yucca Flats. Essential outsider cinema.
A man on the run. Someone shoots at him.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

OldAle1
Dec 31 2017, 08:29:40 PM
XxXApathy420XxX
Dec 31 2017, 07:52:33 PM
A man on the run. Someone shoots at him.
Best narrator ever?

Flag on the moon. How did it get there?

Boys from the city. Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress. Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs.

Touch a button. Things happen.

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
1. Stinger (2005) 1.9 on IMDb; My Rating: 1/10
There's many movies like this, in which a ragtag band of stereotypes battle a carnivorous monster in a confined space, but you'd be hard pressed to find one cheaper than this. Complete with some of the least convincing CG in cinematic history, woefully bad acting and lighting so bad you can barely see what's meant to be happening half the time. Worse still, it's far more often boring than it is amusing.

Average IMDb rating: 1.9

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Satan's Little Helper (2004) 5.3 on IMDb

This is a pretty awesome movie, though as per the lowish IMDb rating, not for all tastes. I would describe it as a very dark comedy with pronounced horror elements. Madcap storyline focuses on a boy obsessed with Satan, who comes to believe that a masked killer is Satan, and proceeds to beg him to kill his sister's boyfriend because he wants to marry her and her boyfriend is in the way. If this doesn't sound like your sort of thing, don't venture further, but between its commentary on how Satan is promoted in games/movies, the scary depiction of the ease of going on a murder spree on Halloween and some really kooky indoctrinated religion ideas towards the end, the films leaves a lot of room for thought.

(average rating so far: 5.3/10)

jdidaco
No Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Modestly in, thanks for hosting, sol. Whatever comes my way on the sci-fi/fantasy challenge, I'll post here too.

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
2. Pocket Ninjas (1997) 1.5 on IMDb; My Rating: 1/10
Somehow Robert Z'Dar agreed to participate in this.

Average IMDb rating: 1.7

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
3. It's Pat: The Movie (1994) 2.6 on IMDb; My Rating: 5/10
I laughed way more than I should have done.

Average IMDb rating: 2.0

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
te18
Jan 1 2018, 12:34:09 PM
3. It's Pat: The Movie (1994) 2.6 on IMDb; My Rating: 5/10
I laughed way more than I should have done.
You're not the only one. :D I thought the film was hilarious myself. :lol:

By the way, I'll probably count averages to two decimal points, so I'm putting you down for 2.07 at the moment.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
te18
Jan 1 2018, 11:06:46 AM
Posted Image

You sound surprised that Robert Z'Dar would be in this...

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
flavo5000
Jan 1 2018, 01:58:19 PM
te18
Jan 1 2018, 11:06:46 AM
Posted Image

You sound surprised that Robert Z'Dar would be in this...
Even for him it seems pretty low is all. :lol:

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
4. Ninja Vengeance (1988) 2.2 on IMDb; My Rating: 3/10
A peaceful ninja fights back against a chapter of the Ku Klux Klan committing racist murder in a hick town and it's not nearly as awesome and exploitative as it should have been, despite a couple of snicker-worthy scenes. Far too well-intentioned for its own good.

Average IMDb rating: 2.05

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Plan 9 from outer space (59) - IMDb 4.0

About this being "the worst movie ever made:" - No one who has seen "Revenge of the Toilet" (which my son made when he was around 12) would agree. But then, I used to wonder why I never made any "Worst-Dressed Woman" list.

The introductory spiel sets the tone, all right. The conclusion is gloriously muddled, but (whew!) the peaceniks are foiled again. What struck me most was the voiceover narrative - guess it took awhile for the filmmakers to realize they weren't doing a radio episode of Inner Sanctum.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone