Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Australia/New Zealand/Oceania Challenge; Official - January 2018
Topic Started: Dec 31 2017, 04:11:07 AM (5,187 Views)
maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Australia/New Zealand/Oceania Challenge

Posted Image

Did you really think I was going to host this challenge and NOT include a "Mad Max" screenshot?

Goal:
Watch as many from from Oceania as you can!

Challenge runs 1 January 2018 - 31 January 2018.

List of eligible Oceania countries

Rules:
- Rewatches allowed.
- A feature film (at least 40 min) counts as one entry.
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- For mini-series, the usual 40/60 rules apply.

Stats & Formatting:
- Title (year, Country) is the preferred format
- For TV episodes, please use "Series Title: Episode Title" as the title
- I'll be tracking years and countries with this challenge, along with the number of watches on the official Australia list

Official Lists:
100 Greatest Films of Australian Cinema
UNESCO's Memory of the World: Australia (16-31), New Zealand (493-510), Papua New Guinea (539-552)

Unofficial lists (in progress)

Participants:
Participants
RankParticipantNumber of Watches# On Official Australia List
1Simba639184
272allinncallme5933
3Mate_cosido4618
4sol4525
5psychotronicbeatnik230
6allisoncm2220
7maxwelldeux2014
8OldAle1154
9flaiky146
9vortexsurfer144
9RogerTheMovieManiac88 142
12jvv110
13jdidaco101
13hurluberlu105
15Fergenaprido91
15fear of 1392
173eyes82
18jeroeno60
19jocularities43
19mathiasa44
19cinephage43
22spinal tapper32
23nimimerkillinen22
24blocho10
24sebby11

Fun Stats:
Week 1 Stats
Week 2 Stats
Week 3 Stats
Final Stats
Edited by maxwelldeux, Feb 3 2018, 02:33:39 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Iím in!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll try to watch a few.

I listed a few low-rated Down-Under sci-fi movies in Low-rated challenge.

flaiky
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'll definitely watch some stuff for this challenge mate.

The Tracker is a must see.

If anyone has others films about the indigenous/aborigine experience that they're eager to recommend, I'd love to hear it. I've already seen The Tracker, Charlie's Country, Rabbit Proof Fence, Walkabout, Sweet Country, Once Were Warriors, Tanna...I have some titles in mind (definitely watching Samson & Delilah, for instance) and will keep researching, but go ahead and sell anything to me.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
flaiky
Dec 31 2017, 03:24:15 PM

If anyone has others films about the indigenous/aborigine experience that they're eager to recommend, I'd love to hear it. I've already seen The Tracker, Charlie's Country, Rabbit Proof Fence, Walkabout, Sweet Country, Once Were Warriors, Tanna...I have some titles in mind (definitely watching Samson & Delilah, for instance) and will keep researching, but go ahead and sell anything to me.
I assume you know about Monty's Indigenous Narratives list? The relevant numbers - (Australia-NZ-Oceania) are: Shorts & features - #20-70, Documentaries #252-167.

Simba63
Member Avatar
Hakuna Matata
 *  *  * ]
I'm in, but suffering from challenge fatigue. My modest goal would be to earn the bronze on "100 Greatest Films of Australian Cinema" list.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Simba63
Dec 31 2017, 09:34:02 PM
I'm in, but suffering from challenge fatigue. My modest goal would be to earn the bronze on "100 Greatest Films of Australian Cinema" list.
I hear you - definitely not going to even approach 100 films this month. And I like your goal!

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Dec 31 2017, 10:45:50 PM
Simba63
I hear you - definitely not going to even approach 100 films this month. And I like your goal!
+1 exactly my goal as well.

Simba63
Member Avatar
Hakuna Matata
 *  *  * ]
72allinncallme
Dec 31 2017, 11:03:29 PM
maxwelldeux
Simba63
Honestly, when I saw you two were in I thought "Oh no, I'm third or lower again!" :blink:

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
72allinncallme
Dec 31 2017, 11:03:29 PM
maxwelldeux
Simba63
Is that all? I'll be going for SILVER on the Australian list myself. :whistling:

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Black Water (2007)
More crocs in the water, released the same year as Rogue which I liked a little better.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

Amazingly, yes, this was a first time viewing. The premise never sounded terribly appealing, but I liked the film a fair bit between the inventive costumes, spirited choreography and performances of Stamp and Weaving (Pearce edged on the annoying side). I do wish that there was more flashbacks to their past though and key events that led to their realisation of their sexual identity.

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I still need to sort out my dvds, but things are getting back in order. I'll join in !

01. Hunt for the Wilderpeople, by Taika Waititi (2016) 8,5/10

Great first film for 2018. Sweet, enjoyable, with great imagery and fine characterization. I'm getting fond of Waititi's work.

vortexsurfer
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'm in.

1. Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2014)
2. The Adventures of Barry McKenzie (1972)

flaiky
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
3eyes
Dec 31 2017, 06:34:51 PM
flaiky
Dec 31 2017, 03:24:15 PM

I assume you know about Monty's Indigenous Narratives list? The relevant numbers - (Australia-NZ-Oceania) are: Shorts & features - #20-70, Documentaries #252-167.
Interesting list, thanks.

Edit: Tanna should be added, it definitely fits the criteria.
Edited by flaiky, Jan 1 2018, 02:52:02 PM.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Already Seen

2. The Adventures of Barry McKenzie (1972)

The worst film I have seen all year. :mellow: Okay, that's not quite a fair statement because it has only been one day, but damn, so many jokes at the expense of the LGBT community and the Brits. <_< Film is at its funniest when Barry's colloquialisms are misunderstood. Sadly, that's not often.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Chopper (2000)
2. Backroads (1977)
Edited by 72allinncallme, Jan 1 2018, 10:29:26 PM.

Simba63
Member Avatar
Hakuna Matata
 *  *  * ]
01. Backroads (1977) - 6/10
02. The Back of Beyond (1954) - 7/10
03. Pure S (1975) - 5/10

flaiky
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. My Brilliant Career (1979) - I've been meaning to see this for a while because I love period films and Judy Davies. Not the most wholly engrossing film but it's nicely directed and performed, with a great feminist message.

Viewings

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'll try to see a few.

RogerTheMovieManiac88
Member Avatar
Gold-digger
 *  *  * ]
I'll certainly watch a selection of films for this challenge. Thanks for hosting!

I wonder whether the Cook Islands and Easter Island should also be included in this challenge, Maxwell. The former is in 'free association' with New Zealand but is essentially a country in its own right and the latter is governed from Chile. I think there are very valid grounds for their inclusion, due to their unique cultural make-up and the fact that they are both in Oceania.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Jan 2 2018, 01:56:32 AM
I wonder whether the Cook Islands and Easter Island should also be included in this challenge, Maxwell. The former is in 'free association' with New Zealand but is essentially a country in its own right and the latter is governed from Chile. I think there are very valid grounds for their inclusion, due to their unique cultural make-up and the fact that they are both in Oceania.
I'm open to both. Certainly, the Cook Islands would be (I just made the call for simplicity not to list all dependent territories in the first post). Easter Island is a bit trickier - while I agree it's in Oceania, I would just want the film from there to be decidedly about that island and NOT Chilean.

But I suppose we'll deal with these issue when they come up. :thumbsup:

RogerTheMovieManiac88
Member Avatar
Gold-digger
 *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Jan 2 2018, 03:08:02 AM
Easter Island is a bit trickier - while I agree it's in Oceania, I would just want the film from there to be decidedly about that island and NOT Chilean.
Oh, I absolutely agree. The one I had in mind was 'Uho te Uka, La Leyenda' (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5903268/?ref_=nm_knf_t1). The film is made by and stars Rapa Nui islanders and was filmed on the island. The rather fantastic-sounding synopsis on IMDb intrigued me so I might watch this one sometime in January if it's deemed eligible.
Edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88, Jan 2 2018, 03:36:59 AM.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
1. Caddie 6/10 Official Australia list
2. On Our Selection (1932) 4/10 Official Australia list
3. Praise 6/10 Official Australia list
Edited by allisoncm, Jan 2 2018, 06:59:35 AM.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Already Seen

3. Inn of the Damned (1975)

Weird film. Part bounty hunter chase thriller, part kooky old woman killing her guests horror movie. Judith Anderson is in it though and manages to be just as creepy as in Rebecca and there's also an intriguing incestuous lesbian love subplot, though the subplot does get a little lost amid the film darting back and forth between Anderson and the bounty hunter. I did like the locations scouted for the film though. Great waterfalls in particular.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Jan 2 2018, 03:35:28 AM
maxwelldeux
Jan 2 2018, 03:08:02 AM
Easter Island is a bit trickier - while I agree it's in Oceania, I would just want the film from there to be decidedly about that island and NOT Chilean.
Oh, I absolutely agree. The one I had in mind was 'Uho te Uka, La Leyenda' (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5903268/?ref_=nm_knf_t1). The film is made by and stars Rapa Nui islanders and was filmed on the island. The rather fantastic-sounding synopsis on IMDb intrigued me so I might watch this one sometime in January if it's deemed eligible.
Sure - barring any objections, I have no problems counting that.

hurluberlu
Member Avatar
over and above
 *  *  *  * ]
1. Once Were Warriors (Lee Tamahori, 1994, New Zealand) 5+/10
Although the film gives an interesting perspective on social issues in NZ, I found the characterization of the father and his "metis" friends too heavyhanded by opposition to the Maori people and culture we are, not too convincingly, shown as the solution of all problems.

Posted Image

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Spoiler: click to toggle

3. Long Weekend (1978)
4. The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (1978)
5. Black Robe (1991)

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
I always figured Black Robe was Canadian, but I see it has an Aussie director.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker

4. Spotswood 7.3/10 Great performance by Anthony Hopkins! He really knocks it out of the ballpark, especially toward the end. Once particular speech I watched 3x just because it was so good.
5. Stone 2/10 If youíre into Easy Rider rip-offs, this oneís for you.
6. They're a Weird Mob - pretty cheesy for Michael Powell, but not horrible.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in! I'm starting off with films that also meet one or both of the other January challenges, and these three classics meet all the criteria for Aussie, Bad, and SF/Fantasy -

1. Sky Pirates (Colin Eggleston, 1986)

Posted Image

While this starts out as a Bermuda-triangle sort of mystery set near the end of WWII, you might guess from the box-cover or poster that it's going to have an Indiana Jones type vibe...and boy does it ever. In fact after the first 30 minutes or so this becomes for the most part an outright Raiders of the Lost Ark ripoff, with our WWII flyboy and a pretty young parson's daughter going after an ancient relic that an evil Nazi I mean, Aryan-looking dude who might as well be a Nazi, wants to get so he can RULE THE WORLD. Despite all the lifts - grungy bar drinking game, car/truck chase that includes a guy holding onto the grill, gruesome body-melting, etc, etc, this is actually quite fun and is reasonably competently made. And I love all of these kinds of movies as long as they're not tedious, which this never is. A solid 6 from me - nothing new here, but a lively, decent watch by any standards.

2. Starship (Roger Christian, 1984)

This one has the virtue of a little more originality I guess though I did get a "Battlestar Galactica" (the 70s TV series) vibe a couple of times and the simplistic electronic music reminded me at times of "Doctor Who"; but alas there's not much to it in the end. I watched a rather dark and dreary YouTube rip which had the virtue of being in the proper aspect ration (2.35), but the muddiness of image and sound made it hard to follow or care what was going on in this miners-on-distant-planet-rebelling-against-evil-corporation/government (wasn't clear to me) story. Also there were scenes where the dialogue switched to German (unsubbed). Some OK sets and such, this cost a little money, and a decent action scene involving a huge bulldozer. Made by the guy who went on to do Battlefield Earth. I'll give it a 3

3. The Time Guardian (Brian Hannant, 1987)

This likewise cost a little money, with some nice production design and miniatures, and a cast that includes Carrie Fisher (who spends much of the time sitting or lying down after being wounded early on) and Dean Stockwell. A time-travelling city (YES!!!) is trying to escape these cyborg-types - shades of The Terminator but this really isn't that similar by constantly moving through time, but things are getting desperate and for some reason they send Fisher and Tom Burlinson (The Time Guardian) back to...Australia in the 1980s of course. To prepare the way for the city to land there I guess...again, a fairly muddled plot. Once there while Fisher lies around wounded (translation: they only paid her enough to be in the film for like 3 days) he goes off and meets a local (Nikki Coghill) who he rapidly falls in love with and takes a semi-nude swim with (cuz you've always got time for this when the future of the whole human race it at stake) , while evading local cops and the ravening hordes of cyborgs. It's watchable I guess. 4 from me.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Slaughtered (2010, Australia)

Ah yes. The tried and true plot device of "humans who refuse to behave like any reasonable human". Thankfully, this counts for two challenges this month.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Already Seen

4. Letters to Ali (2004)

This film made me angry - but not because of the subject matter, but rather the fact that the subject matter is pretty important (refugee treatment) and deserves a much better filmic treatment than this. The directing work here is lazy. Half of the film is exposition-heavy title cards that look like they have been made on PowerPoint and the director's muffled voice when asking questions off-screen in interviews is very off-putting. The film's greatest incompetence though its reliance on body piercings for comic relief (don't ask).

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Around the world in eighty ways (Oz 88)

Delightfully silly comedy. I had a little trouble making friends with the ending, but I guess it was as logical as anything else. 6th check, on no lists, official or otherwise. I only know about it because TLA had it on VHS, though I didn't see it at the time.
Edited by 3eyes, Jan 3 2018, 03:13:36 AM.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker

7. Death in Brunswick 7/10 Official Australia list - Unexpected to find a dark comedy on this list with Sam Neill. Well, it was pretty funny! LOL.

Simba63
Member Avatar
Hakuna Matata
 *  *  * ]
04. The Boys (1998) - 6/10

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker

8. Annie's Coming Out (1984) 7/10 Official Australia list - A very sweet and charming movie that reminded me of The Miracle Worker.

Mate_cosido
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'm in

1. Samson and Delilah (2009, Warwick Thornton, Australia) 7.5/10

2. The Tracker (2002, Rolf de Heer, Australia) 7/10

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]

6. The Quiet Earth (1985)
7. Roadgames (1981)

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes
Jan 2 2018, 11:33:14 PM
I always figured Black Robe was Canadian, but I see it has an Aussie director.
Yeah, itís Canadian in my book, but on both the Australian and Canadian country list so Iím in the clear :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone