Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Bei kao bei, lian dui lian AKA Back to Back, Face to Face (1994); Film of the Week #210 500<400
Topic Started: Jan 7 2018, 08:08:11 PM (246 Views)
joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Film of the Week #210: Bei kao bei, lian dui lian AKA Back to Back, Face to Face (1994)

Posted Image

Summary:
Wang Shuangli is Deputy Director of the local Cultural Centre, and hopes to be appointed Director. However Old Ma is brought in from the country and installed as Director. This starts a long train of events with Wang's cronies using the bureaucracy to try to oust the new director. At home, Wang has problems because his father wants Wang to have a son to carry on the family name. However, because of the one-child policy, Wang cannot have any more children unless his young daughter is certified infirm.

Info/Links:
#430 on 500<400, with 29 checks.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 results
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Most people watched this for the World Cup. Since then a 720p TV-rip has become available (see screenshot above). But it has a logo and text on it all the time. So if you decide to watch, choose for yourself if you want higher quality with text or lower quality without text (screenshot in 500<400-spoilertags).

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
:poshclap:
Only 52 fotweeks in a year, another ~100 movies get to be in a world cup, and I think quite a few will get highlighted again. Some things I guess are not common sense.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Armoreska
Jan 7 2018, 08:49:52 PM
:poshclap:
Only 52 fotweeks in a year, another ~100 movies get to be in a world cup, and I think quite a few will get highlighted again. Some things I guess are not common sense.
I've read your post three times and I think you mean it was a bad decision to include WC-movies from previous seasons. Am I right?
I asked opinions about that decision, but got only one (positive) reply.

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
This film is one of the best films I've ever seen, profound in message and well shot. Only seems to get it's due props in its home country. Recently saw another film from director Huang Jianxin released in the same year as this film, which was almost as good.
Edited by fori, Jan 9 2018, 04:08:26 AM.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Saw this for the world cup. This was a good film, well worth watching. I liked the main character and the creative ways he reacted to the (to me) absurd situations taking place. The new higher res version looks much better.

My rating - 7.8/10
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Film Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone