Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Last film you wish you hadn't watched…
Topic Started: Jan 11 2018, 09:33:00 PM (1,153 Views)
monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sometimes you watch a movie until the end against your will. Because you are with friends, in a screening, a lecture, or because you can’t believe that after a boring or bad start the flick doesn’t get better over time. Or the other way round.

I’m interested to know about movies you had high or certain expectations that were massively disappointed.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ebbywebby
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I recently watched Mike Leigh's "Bleak Moments" (1971)...the worst film I've seen from my watchlist in ages. Seemed like a willful bid to torture the audience...about nothing but social awkwardness, with impossibly shy, stammering morons trying to have conversations but barely able to get a word out. Excruciating.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm usually the person pushing the "bad" or "boring" film on someone else - on the rare occasions that I'm watching something with someone. I honestly can't think of the last time I watched something I actually regretted seeing; I'm not actually sure it's ever happened. Most of the very bad films I've seen are films I knew were going to be bad, or films where I got *something* out of them. I guess I'm really easy to please on a certain level, or I just don't get bothered too much about wasting an hour or two on something really crappy once in a while.

But that's not to say that there aren't disappointments; one I remember very clearly is Wenders' Bis ans Ende der Welt, a huge letdown after Der Himmel über Berlin. And I guess this year's sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy was much worse than I hoped/expected it to be.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

RBG
Member Avatar
notorious
funny, i couldn't think of one either...til you mentioned Bis ans Ende der Welt, which i only finished in order to vote against it in a cup. i usually give the film 20-30 mins, then turn it off if i'm not enjoying it. i may try again or i may not. there are some i watched with friends like van helsing but i rather not think about them
Edited by RBG, Jan 11 2018, 10:51:07 PM.

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Possession (1981), the only film I feel strongly enough to give a dislike on iCM, it was the single most frustrating filmwatching experience I've ever had, and the only one I can think of that has ever caused me physical pain (to my ears).

It also plays out like a shitty quality giallo that takes itself way too seriously. The only reason I didn't stop watching after 30 mins is because how highly rated it is and thought there must be a reason for it, whatever is was I failed to see it and it will remain that way because there is no chance in hell I'd be willing to sit through that again.

RBG
Member Avatar
notorious
ahh another one i can agree on :D i think it must be the creature sex that makes people rave about it. some nice cinematography, otherwise just another male breakup fantasy. the brood was at least funny. ok i quit looking at this thread :P
Edited by RBG, Jan 11 2018, 11:04:02 PM.

albajos
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I kind of regret seing the first two Hostel movies. I normally wouldn't have seen them for the same reason I'm staying away from the Saw sequels or the Human Centipedes.

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
The disaster artist... what a disgusting exercise in self indulgence.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Minions. Dumbest fucking thing that has ever been created. Yellow blobs making nonsensical noises?

dirty_score
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Jan 12 2018, 01:34:50 AM
Minions. Dumbest fucking thing that has ever been created. Yellow blobs making nonsensical noises?
I agree but it's funny coming from someone whose avatar is a yellow blob tehe

The last film I pressed the dislike button (which means I really hated hated hated that movie) was the korean movie Ddongpari. It has a really good rating (rigged, I suspect) and even won the Rotterdam film festival (one of the most arthouse film festivals in Europe).

I am a fan of Asian Cinema, especially the south korean ones, but this one was such a waste of time. :down:

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
dirty_score
Jan 12 2018, 01:45:22 PM
maxwelldeux

The last film I pressed the dislike button (which means I really hated hated hated that movie) was the korean movie Ddongpari. It has a really good rating (rigged, I suspect) and even won the Rotterdam film festival (one of the most arthouse film festivals in Europe).

I am a fan of Asian Cinema, especially the south korean ones, but this one was such a waste of time. :down:
I liked that one, why do you think its rating is rigged thou?

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
dirty_score
and even won the Rotterdam film festival (one of the most arthouse film festivals in Europe).
I'd say Rotterdam has an interesting mix of genre and arthouse. I mean ... Cannes and Venice? Even Berlin is more arthouse than the IFFR.

dirty_score
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
max-scl
Jan 12 2018, 05:47:24 PM
dirty_score
maxwelldeux

I liked that one, why do you think its rating is rigged thou?

I dunno, but I felt with some others south korean movies, the same as some recent indian movies with such great scores and I just think it's a bit misleading.

Onderhond
Jan 12 2018, 05:56:33 PM
dirty_score
and even won the Rotterdam film festival (one of the most arthouse film festivals in Europe).
I'd say Rotterdam has an interesting mix of genre and arthouse. I mean ... Cannes and Venice? Even Berlin is more arthouse than the IFFR.

I'd put Locarno as the godfather of arthouse.

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
dirty_score
Jan 12 2018, 09:32:32 PM
I dunno, but I felt with some others south korean movies, the same as some recent indian movies with such great scores and I just think it's a bit misleading.

I think modern Korean cinema is kind of overrated (people discover it with the masterpieces and from there decide it's better than it actually is) but i don't think it's because of rigging or nationalistic or mafia behavior like India or Turkey.

peeptoad
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
iBoy (last one that I was "forced" into)
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 (last one I was looking forward to and ended up disappointed)

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
dirty_score
maxwelldeux
Hah! :banana: :clap:

blocho
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh man, so many ...

Just last week, I saw American Assassin. I love dumb action movies, but this wasn't dumb so much as incompetent. For the last hour, I just wanted it to be over.

I wanted to walk out of Beijing Bicycle and Goodbye Dragon Inn but couldn't.

And I remember watching The Brotherhood of the Wolf and the third Lord of the Rings movies and audibly groaning because they just wouldn't end.

Minkin
Member Avatar
Extra 9413
 * ]
Here's perhaps a better question than Monty's:

Have you ever seen a movie that was so X (horrible/traumatizing/etc) - that it made you reconsider your hobby (stop watching movies altogether) - and do something else with your life?

This was exactly my experience after watching Shrunken Heads (1994). This was quite awhile ago, back when Google Video was still a thing - and I was watching anything I could find on it. Those good old days before Google bought Youtube, and before the studios realized people were uploading full movies. Here I watched 300 - which I didn't realize was just someone with a videocamera inside a movie theater, until about half way in, an employee walks into the theater, and the camera quickly ducks down onto the floor! (perhaps that's another topic).

So, I was watching a lot of horror films, when I came to Shrunken Heads. Mind you, I wasn't looking up any reviews or anything to find out about quality. The film is about some kids who end up being killed, but the local voodoo newspaper stand guy turns them into shrunken heads, which are able to fly around - and shoot some sort of ray that causes criminals to turn into zombies which then clean up graffiti or something. Sounds great in theory, but in reality - its by far the worst film I've ever seen. After I watched it, I didn't know what to do with myself. I completely stopped watching films for at least 6 months, perhaps a year - as after that experience, I thought they were a complete waste of time / life - and that I needed to do anything better.

I can sit through absolutely terrible films which I hate - and be perfectly fine afterwards, other than perhaps not wanting to watch something similar to that for awhile (Antz/Hillbillys in a Haunted House/Elf Bowling), but then there's certain films that are so affecting - that you need to just stop watching anything for an extended period.

I think only Tokyo Gore Police + Artificial Intelligence caused a similar reaction - of "what am I doing with my life? I need to go outside or do anything else."

Am I the only person here to have experienced this feeling? I know you people watch like a thousand features a year, so it would have to be something extraordinary to have this happen to you -although I would think you'd be the most susceptible to have some life-changing revelation if things went badly.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That's never happened to me, nothing even close - but then I've had several periods in my life where I cut down on movie watching almost to zero, most notably from about 2002-2005. Far more often the reverse has happened - I see some extra-special film and it gets me even more involved in the hobby than I was before that point. But eventually it dies down a bit; I guess it's always been an up-and-down hobby for me.

Oh and now I've got to look up Shrunken Heads.

And Artificial Intelligence - assuming you're talking the Spielberg film - is in my top 10 of the 2000s :lol:
Edited by OldAle1, Jan 13 2018, 02:11:33 AM.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I find Tsai to be a torturous fuck, but I keep watching his films to be there, done that as he is so highly regarded.

Ok Goodbye Dragon Inn HAD something, I admit.

But the list is longer: I can watch some Bollywood soap operas but I can't imagine what's inside heads of those who are into it on a daily basis; in their place I would melt down in a chair, dehydrate, slip to the floor and gradually turn into a decomposed corpse and be found by neighbors when they smell something and notice I wasn't leaving the flat for two weeks.

fear of 13
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Wolf Creek 2.

Should have just bought the set that had the first film, not the double pack.

RedHawk10
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Eh, none really. If you asked me that when I was suffering through the run time of Birdemic I might have answered differently, though.

micmacs
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Kingsman 2. That was just beyond stupid.

Johan_Wow
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
If you engage in games like movie Knock-outs and want to vote properly well that means I had to get out of my comfort zone at times and force myself to watch those movies. Here are some that were hard to sit through for various reasons:

Pop Skull (2007): big yawner and those flashy images didn't like it
Only Lovers Left Alive (2013): sloooooow, terrible music, what an annoying guy was the male protagonist
Antichrist (2009): the point of movies like that escape me
The Babadook (2014): wanted to kill that kid 10 minutes in
What We Do in the Shadows (2014): seriously was that supposed to be funny or even remotely entertaining?
Possession (1981): same as with Antichrist, what is the point?
The Invitation (2015): another snoozefest
The House of the Devil (2009): even more snoozefest
Dead in Tombstone (2013): even worse than a bad horror movie is a western trying to be sold as horror
Calvaire (2004): this is why I think Belgians shouldn't make horror (and I am allowed to say so since I'm Belgian)
The Final Girls (2015): it's not funny and if you want to bring an ode to 80s slasher at least give the viewer some gratuitous nudity
28 Days Later... (2002): gee every time there is some action I have no clue what is going on maybe Blair Witch Project wasn't that terrible after all

That said there were enough good discoveries I did.

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Johan_Wow
Jan 15 2018, 09:29:15 PM
If you engage in games like movie Knock-outs and want to vote properly well that means I had to get out of my comfort zone at times and force myself to watch those movies. Here are some that were hard to sit through for various reasons:

Pop Skull (2007): big yawner and those flashy images didn't like it
Only Lovers Left Alive (2013): sloooooow, terrible music, what an annoying guy was the male protagonist
Antichrist (2009): the point of movies like that escape me
The Babadook (2014): wanted to kill that kid 10 minutes in
What We Do in the Shadows (2014): seriously was that supposed to be funny or even remotely entertaining?
Possession (1981): same as with Antichrist, what is the point?
The Invitation (2015): another snoozefest
The House of the Devil (2009): even more snoozefest
Dead in Tombstone (2013): even worse than a bad horror movie is a western trying to be sold as horror
Calvaire (2004): this is why I think Belgians shouldn't make horror (and I am allowed to say so since I'm Belgian)
The Final Girls (2015): it's not funny and if you want to bring an ode to 80s slasher at least give the viewer some gratuitous nudity
28 Days Later... (2002): gee every time there is some action I have no clue what is going on maybe Blair Witch Project wasn't that terrible after all

That said there were enough good discoveries I did.
Last thing I regret doing is sitting down and reading through this post (though I didn't like the babadook or antichrist either)
Edited by fori, Jan 16 2018, 01:27:10 AM.

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
Teen Wolf Too (1987)

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
xianjiro
Jan 16 2018, 09:54:03 AM
Oh no - I own that one. Now I'm scared of it.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Swiss Army Man! I don't understand how anyone who isn't a 16 year old virgin boy could like this movie or even consider it having emotional depth. Completely disgusting crappy shitfest.
Edited by Gershwin, Jan 16 2018, 05:42:07 PM.

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Swiss Army Man is the funniest film in ages. Though I admit, in part because you just know some people are going to hate it with a vengeance :D

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
maxwelldeux
Jan 16 2018, 05:24:32 PM
xianjiro
not sure, but does an IMDb rating of 3.2 help or hurt that fear factor

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

The last 1/10 I gave was for Splish Splash Love. Soon a big portion of this forum is gonna suffer through it too for the world cup. Sad.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Onderhond
Jan 16 2018, 05:50:16 PM
Swiss Army Man is the funniest film in ages. Though I admit, in part because you just know some people are going to hate it with a vengeance :D
Wow! I agree with Onderhond?! :o
:lol:

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
xianjiro
Jan 16 2018, 07:17:59 PM
maxwelldeux
xianjiro
Heh. Well, at least it would qualify for the challenge this month... :whistling:

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
maxwelldeux
Jan 17 2018, 01:32:27 AM
xianjiro
Jan 16 2018, 07:17:59 PM
maxwelldeux
xianjiro
Heh. Well, at least it would qualify for the challenge this month... :whistling:
have at it then! :o

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
fori
Jan 12 2018, 12:33:49 AM
The disaster artist... what a disgusting exercise in self indulgence.
I guess I'd probably have to go with The Disaster Artist too, but mostly because of who happened to be at the cinema at the time. I barely remember the film because I was too busy trying to breathe and not pass out, and every time the crowd laughed, I'd be overwhelmed with sadness and cry. I definitely wish I hadn't gone to see it at the cinema so I could've experienced it properly. I thought it was ok, but I agree it was super self-indulgent and I felt that people were only laughing because they were like 'haha reference' and I didn't find it particularly amusing (though Idk if it was just coz of my intense panic attack).

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Jan 16 2018, 07:58:04 PM
Wow! I agree with Onderhond?! :o
:lol:
I think that's the second time in one week ... that means it's starting to spread :p

matthewscott8
Member Avatar
Sup-p-per Troup-p-per
 *  *  *  * ]
I usually have a massive feeling of disappointment when I watch a movie and there's animal cruelty in it. This was true recently in successive watches Satantango and Atlas, both of which are forum favourites. On Atlas, it's highly likely that all those scenes were documentary in nature, and was just someone rocking up to slaughterhouses with a camera, but what was really frustrating is that they seemed to bring nothing to the movie at all (in either case).

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
matthewscott8
Jan 17 2018, 06:49:02 PM
I usually have a massive feeling of disappointment when I watch a movie and there's animal cruelty in it. This was true recently in successive watches Satantango and Atlas, both of which are forum favourites. On Atlas, it's highly likely that all those scenes were documentary in nature, and was just someone rocking up to slaughterhouses with a camera, but what was really frustrating is that they seemed to bring nothing to the movie at all (in either case).
Definitely avoid watching Wake in Fright (1971) in the immediate future...

I have a similar sentiment regarding animal cruelty/killings portrayed in film.

matthewscott8
Member Avatar
Sup-p-per Troup-p-per
 *  *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Jan 17 2018, 06:55:44 PM
matthewscott8
Jan 17 2018, 06:49:02 PM
Definitely avoid watching Wake in Fright (1971) in the immediate future...

I have a similar sentiment regarding animal cruelty/killings portrayed in film.
I don't want to end up being the defender of any of these films. It's worth pointing out that the kangaroo hunt in Wake In Fright was documentary footage, Kotcheff went out with some licensed hunters and the hunt was happening whether he was there or not. The footage also really did aid the movie in a narrative sense. Still uncomfortable ethically.

It also just seems to be a thing "great" directors seem to want to do, Cimino apparently killed tonnes of animals for shooting Heaven's Gate and Tarkovsky killed a horse for Andrei Rublev.
Edited by matthewscott8, Jan 17 2018, 07:05:52 PM.

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
Well then be warned that Carlos Reygadas' films show animals being hurt and I don't believe it to be documentary in nature.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Film Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone