Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
ICM Forum's Favorite Movies (2018 Edition) NOMINATIONS; Deadline: midnight PST March 18, 2018 (8AM GMT March 19).
Topic Started: Jan 23 2018, 06:58:50 PM (2,819 Views)
PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Deadline: midnight PST March 18, 2018 (8AM GMT March 19).

Once again it's time for the forum's favourite films (includes shorts, docs as well) list.

Rules:
1) Make a list of your favorite films (Films include feature length films, short films, documentaries, mini-series, whatever has an entry on IMDB, except TV series no video games either.).
You can submit a list in one of three ways:
1. Imdb list (preferred)
2. ICM list
3. List of imdb urls if you can't make an imdb list.
Make sure your (imdb/icm) list is public!

2) There is no maximum number of films, but each film on your list must only be listed once. Your list should have at least 10 films in it.

3) Submit a link to your IMDB/ICM list here, by midnight PST March 18, 2018 (8AM GMT March 19). I will download all lists at the deadline, so feel free to submit an incomplete list and keep editing your list until the deadline.

4) I will assume your list is RANKED unless you specify otherwise.
Other than a ranked list you can submit your list in one of the following ways:
- Unranked: All films get the same number of points (Pts are determined by the length of your list, same amount of total points as if the list had been ranked).
- Partially ranked: Top X is ranked, rest is unranked
- Group ranked: You have to specify the groups that go together, all films in the group get the same number of points. (eg: 11-20, 21-30, 31-50, 51-100)

Last year the point system was Points=100*(0.5)^((R-1)/175) I'll be using the same this year. Here's some example values for the less mathematically inclined:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Some helpful tools for making an imdb list:
Imdb Helper: This Greasemonkey ViolentMonkey script lets you paste either movie titles or imdb urls all together and will search them in order, saving you from having to cut and paste one by one.
Text Linky A firefox addon that lets you highlight multiple links and copy all the urls together at once. Useful if you've already got an existing list on imdb you want to copy, or for copying advanced search results (like all movies you've rated above 9). LinkClump if you use chrome.

For those interested:
Previous lists:
2017 Forum Thread iCM list IMDb list
2016 Forum Thread
2015 Forum Thread,
2014 Forum Thread
2013 Forum thread, Imdb list
2012 Thread , IMDB list ,
A nice companion is the recently completed Top 150 Directors list: Thread

Lists:16

Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Jan 25 2018, 07:28:24 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
too wired to concentrate, good for Nothing
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My favourites not in last year's edition. That means my favourites within the list will lose some points this time around, but, well, they already have seen the light; why would anyone want to see another canon mash-up list.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls021735559/
Edited by Carmel1379, Jan 23 2018, 07:49:20 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Could you include an IMDb link for the 2017 list in the OP? Links on iCM.com are out-of-date.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
When I get home, sure.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/xxxapathy420xxxs+list+of+the+greatest+films+of+all+time/xxxapathy420xxx/

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
PeacefulAnarchy
Jan 23 2018, 07:50:28 PM
When I get home, sure.
I've added it but can't get it onto same row. Maybe you can fix it later.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
AdamH
Jan 23 2018, 07:53:56 PM
PeacefulAnarchy
Jan 23 2018, 07:50:28 PM
When I get home, sure.
I've added it but can't get it onto same row. Maybe you can fix it later.
Fixed. I forgot I had already made the list on imdb.

Mate_cosido
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
Maybe i should use my one list on Icheckmovies for this, because i'm not making an imdb list of this

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Mate_cosido
Jan 23 2018, 08:18:00 PM
Maybe i should use my one list on Icheckmovies for this, because i'm not making an imdb list of this
If you use the fav-button, you can submit your favorites on iCM for this poll. You can rank it as well. That way you can save that one list for something else.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/blown+away+by+light/beavis/

Mate_cosido
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
joachimt
Jan 23 2018, 08:22:05 PM
Mate_cosido
If you use the fav-button, you can submit your favorites on iCM for this poll. You can rank it as well. That way you can save that one list for something else.
Yes i should do this then, i don't know why i stopped favoriting stuff on icm :think:

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Just use my favorites list on ICM for this (UNRANKED).

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/favorited/?user=jvv

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
you are your faith - lose it and you're not
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070246050/

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Mate_cosido
Jan 23 2018, 08:26:46 PM
joachimt
Jan 23 2018, 08:22:05 PM
Mate_cosido
Yes i should do this then, i don't know why i stopped favoriting stuff on icm :think:
Yes, an iCM list is perfectly fine. Either your one list or the faves list will do. Alternatively, you can post a list of titles and I can make it into an IMDb list for you.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Perception de Ambiguity
Jan 23 2018, 08:34:34 PM
You don't want to vote for movies with more than 400 checks?

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
you are your faith - lose it and you're not
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Jan 23 2018, 08:37:40 PM
Perception de Ambiguity
Jan 23 2018, 08:34:34 PM
You don't want to vote for movies with more than 400 checks?
No, I don't.
Edited by Perception de Ambiguity, Jan 23 2018, 08:56:41 PM.

Tarris1
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls036825911/

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/favorited/?user=treadwaynathan

It's going to be partially ranked, but, what I don't know yet. I'll let you know closer to the deadline, as I need to overhaul the it.

Lakigigar
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Good luck. I'm going to follow this (especially the results thread), not sending a list however since i haven't seen enough movies (only 700).

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Meticulously ranked, all 340:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/onderhonds+top+movies/onderhond/

Seeing as the deadline is still some way off, I'm pretty sure it'll be a Top 360 by the time the nomination period is over.
Edited by Onderhond, Jan 23 2018, 11:24:44 PM.

Mate_cosido
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I think i did something wrong, i favorited more than 1000 movies and i've seen around 3000, i think i'm gonna de-favorite the ones that are in many lists or the ones that have many checks, because other people will vote for then anyways

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'm tossing up whether to submit the list... on the one hand I have one ready to go so I may as well... on the other hand it needs a lot of updating especially towards the lower end, on top of which most of my top favourites are only gonna get my vote. Hmmm

Gorro
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/gorros+personal+top+1000/gorro/

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/fori+ranked+favs/fori/

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
The Obsessed Listmaking Slut
I have been working on an extensive re-ranking process over the last few months. First I went through all my ratings and altered them based on my current standards (as I have had different scales over the years). This was obviously done from memory, so flawed. Then I compared everything I have rated 9 or higher - including rounded up 8.5s. Essentially took my yearly lists, mashed them together, and manually added each title by scrolling through the lists and actually comparing each and every film in it's range - as well an conferring with my memory of the experience around them - which lead to further ranking/ratings fluctuations.

I'm quite happy about the new results - will have to add it to an actual IMDb list however. This will probably take a while.
Edited by St. Gloede, Jan 24 2018, 12:37:28 PM.

rnilsson19
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'll probably fine-tune the ranking and add more films in the upcoming months.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/rnilsson19s+top+350/rnilsson19/

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

Top 150 ranked

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favourite+films/zuma/

Will update ranking later.

tobias
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
For refference my current top 500(ish):

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls053592557/

Will update before the poll closes in March.
Edited by tobias, Jan 24 2018, 04:00:50 PM.

edward5
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
100 films
UNRANKED
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls021380085/

Dolwphin
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/top+250/dolwphin/?sort=year

Consider it ranked.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
rokp's list

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My list: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/maxwelldeux+icm+forum+favorite+films/maxwelldeux/

Partially ranked - see list description.
Edited by maxwelldeux, Feb 1 2018, 06:45:39 PM.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
IMDb not allowing me to drag films while reordering the list is making me insane. I know I already complained about this at least 3 times, but I don't care. Why would you remove such a helpful feature. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'll post my list later.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fuck it.

My list of favorites (Top 100 is ranked)

jeff_v
Member Avatar
Young Pope
 *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

except TV series

Any exception for Twin Peaks (2017), by any chance? It's self-contained, single-series, all directed by the same filmmaker --more like a mini-series than a regular tv-series.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cynical Cinephile
Jan 24 2018, 07:44:07 PM
IMDb not allowing me to drag films while reordering the list is making me insane. I know I already complained about this at least 3 times, but I don't care. Why would you remove such a helpful feature. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'll post my list later.
Hehehe... this is why I'm making my list on trakt.tv, so I can drag to reorder.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PeacefulAnarchy
Jan 23 2018, 06:58:50 PM
Last year the point system was Points=100*(0.5)^((R-1)/175) I'll be using the same this year.
That "175" you have there in the denominator is the "half life" you poll-hosters keep referring to, right?

And generally speaking, how do you decide what half life to use for the different polls?

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
maxwelldeux
Jan 24 2018, 10:55:21 PM
PeacefulAnarchy
Jan 23 2018, 06:58:50 PM
Last year the point system was Points=100*(0.5)^((R-1)/175) I'll be using the same this year.
That "175" you have there in the denominator is the "half life" you poll-hosters keep referring to, right?

And generally speaking, how do you decide what half life to use for the different polls?
Yes the half life is 175. In general the half life should be based roughly on how long the individual lists are. If the half life is too high then the ranking matters too little, if the half life is too low everything past a certain point carries too little weight.
If #1 is 100 pts then
1*half life is 50 pts
2*HL is 25 pts
3*HL is 12.5pts
4*HL is 6.25pts
5*HL is 3.125pts
6*HL is 1.5625pts
7*HL is 0.78125pts
etc

My general rule of thumb is that the half life should be somewhere between 1/2.5 and 1/4 the average length list, so that you strike that balance between making the rankings matter but still having the low votes have some value. It also depends on how spread out the different list lengths are. If they're very spread out (i.e. lots of long lists and short lists) you want to err towards a bigger half life [to make sure most of those long lists have some value and impact on the results], whereas if they're all similar lengths you'd err towards a shorter half-life (relative to the lengths of the lists, of course).

IIRC the average list length in the past for this poll has been somewhere between 500 and 700, with only the rare list going past 1500 and while there are always lists shorter than 100 they aren't many, so 175 seems to work fine.

If you go too far on either extreme it's definitely the wrong half life, but there's no singular right half life. For this poll, 150 or 200 would also be reasonable choices, it would change the results a bit but not majorly, the more lists there are and more points required to make the list the smaller the impact of different half lives. Deciding on a half life for some of the shorter polls is a bit trickier and if you don't know what length lists you're going to get you have to wait until you get the lists to decide what's appropriate.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@PA: Thanks for that great explanation! That's really helpful. I had pieced much of that together, but it makes a lot more intuitive sense now. Much appreciated!

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll submit my list closer to the deadline. My list last year contained 700 films. I originally planned to make my list 1,000 this year, but it's so hard for me to rank once I get in the 900s :'( Now, I don't know whether to have a list be 800, 900, or 1,000 in length. My ultimate end goal is to one day have a favorite list of 1,000 films, but I can always wait another year to reach that amount. My list size might depend on how many great films I watch before the deadline.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Our lists and projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone