Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Latin American Challenge; Official, February 2018
Topic Started: Jan 27 2018, 04:55:22 PM (3,030 Views)
clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Goal:
Watch as many Latin American films as you can. If you're not sure whether a film count, just ask.

Rules:
- A feature film (over 45 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- The usual miniseries rule applies.
- Rewatches are allowed.

Eligible countries

Official General lists:

UNESCO - Bolivia (54-68), Brazil (69-85), Chile (114-128), Colombia (144-159), Ecuador (204-214), Mexico (476-490), Peru (551-565), Puerto Rico (596-623), Venezuela (801-815)
Cien anos sin soledad
Cinema Tropical
Other Links

Streaming US **Netflix @Amazon Prime

Countries lists

Participants

jeroeno - 43
Mate_cosido - 27
clemmetarey - 13
72allinncallme - 12
max-scl - 12
sortile9io - 12
Eve-Lang-El-Coup - 10
edward5 - 9
sacmersault - 9
weirdboy - 8
3eyes - 7
jdidaco - 7
Ivan0716 - 6
Lilarcor - 6
RBG - 6
Simba63 - 6
Straka - 6
frbrown - 5
maxwelldeux - 5
sebby - 4
cinephage - 3
hurluberlu - 3
lynchs - 3
psychotronicbeatnik - 3
sol - 3
flaiky - 2
Gorro - 2
OldAle1 - 2
cinewest - 1
jvv - 1
micmacs - 1

VincentPrice
Edited by clemmetarey, Yesterday, 9:54 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

flaiky
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I don't feel like I've seen nearly enough from the region, so I'll join in with some viewings.

I hope some people watch the lovely Guatemalan drama Ixcanul.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mate_cosido
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'm definetly in, i'm ashamed of the few latinamerican movies i've seen being from here

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
In

Add these lists:

Brasil:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/the+100+best+brazilian+films/baalman/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/abraccines+the+100+best+brazilian+documentaries/baalman/

Chile:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/cinechiles+50+best+chilean+movies+of+all+time/joachimt/

México:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/somos+magazines+100+greatest+films+of+mexican+cinema/mjf314/
(should be official)

Uruguay:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/top+uruguayan+movies+from+accu/peacefulanarchy/
Edited by max-scl, Jan 27 2018, 07:24:48 PM.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll try to fill some gaps on the UNESCO list and/or getting silver on "Cien años sin soledad".

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
This is a list of Latinamerican films nominated for an Oscar in the Foreign Language category, in case anyone wants to intersect challenges.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls066971884/

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Ariel Award list is another official one.

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ariel is in the ''Countries lists'' spoilers, along with the Brazilian list.

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My bad, I didn't read the spoilers

Lilarcor
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in! Aiming to get 10.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In, unless my brother's visit in the early part of the month lasts longer than I expect it to, or something else weird happens. I watched a heckuva lot of Canadian films last year for that challenge and I think it's only right that I focus on our other border nation, Mexico, which I'm woefully ignorant of film-wise. Don't know how many I'll get to but I'll set a modest goal of 15-20.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'm definitely in. Looking forward to this one

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I aim to watch a few.

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
Sure, why not

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Thanks to the removal of the restriction to create list, I've made these to that could be useful:

Cóndor de Plata Award - Best Film (Argentina award)

Goya Award for Best Spanish Language Foreign Film (aka Goya for Best Hispanoamerican film)

And this one I previously shared now in ICM format:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/latin+american+films+nominated+for+foreign+language+film+academy+award/max-scl/
Edited by max-scl, Jan 29 2018, 02:13:17 PM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
thanks for these, Max. So glad that restriction (along with others) has been lifted.

cinewest
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Here are a few more lists you can reference:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls051026966/

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls003792898/?page=2

http://remezcla.com/lists/film/50-best-latin-american-films-of-the-aughts/

https://steemit.com/movies/@nico21609/the-15-best-latin-american-films-of-the-21st-century

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/30-essential-latin-american-films-you-need-to-watch/

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2015/the-15-best-latin-american-films-of-the-21st-century/

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2015/the-20-most-visually-stunning-latin-american-films-of-the-21st-century/

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Just like the Goya Spanish-language award, the Ariel Awards have a prized called Iberoamerican Movie. It could help a lot but it, also, occasionally includes Spanish and Portuguese films, but most are Latin American. The website only lists the nominees since 2000, so I made a list of winners and nominees only from that date.

Only winners:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/ariel+pelicula+iberoamericana/sacmersault/
All:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/ariel+pelicula+iberoamericana+nominees/sacmersault/

cinewest
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Just saw a film that won an Ariel for best picture and director (Las Elegidas), and I thought it was very good. Don't want to say any more about it until others have had time to check it out on their own, but suffice to say that it would make my top 20 for 2015.

jdidaco
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
In, but modestly. Thanks for hosting, clemmetarey.

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. Abrir puertas y ventanas (2011, Milagros Mumenthaler) Argentina Golden Leopard at Locarno. Very good. 7/10 Very mysterious and beautifully filmed. I also saw the new movie by this director recently (La idea de un lago, 2016) which is also good.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Wakolda / The German doctor (Arg 13)

Josef Mengele is hiding out incognito in Patagonia with an unsuspecting Argentine family ....

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
I’m in! Thank you for hosting clemmetarey. Will mostly see movies from the 60’ and WC-films.

1. 25 Watts (2001, Uruguay)

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
2. El pacto de Adriana aka Adriana's Pact (2017, Lissette Orozco) Chile
8/10 A great documentary about the director's aunt. Who was she? A secret police agent during Pinochet's dictatorship. The director's perfect image of her dear auntie starts to crumble after she finds about this and her aunt is sought after by the human rights activists and Chilean (and even Australia's) justice.
Edited by max-scl, Feb 1 2018, 09:35:24 PM.

Lilarcor
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. 25 Watts (Juan Pablo Rebella & Pablo Stoll, 2001) 6/10 - Uruguay
Edited by Lilarcor, Feb 1 2018, 10:48:21 PM.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Lilarcor
Feb 1 2018, 10:26:05 PM
1. 21 Watts (Juan Pablo Rebella & Pablo Stoll, 2001) 6/10 - Uruguay
Buy a new lightbulb mate ;)

Lilarcor
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
72allinncallme
Feb 1 2018, 10:36:23 PM
Lilarcor
Feb 1 2018, 10:26:05 PM
1. 21 Watts (Juan Pablo Rebella & Pablo Stoll, 2001) 6/10 - Uruguay
Buy a new lightbulb mate ;)
Fixed. :P

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. Una mujer fantástica (2017, Chile)

Wow! What an amazing film!

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. Viridiana (1961) Rewatch - 10/10

RBG
Member Avatar
notorious
i'll play

1. la niña santa (lucrecia martel 2004) - argentina

Posted Image

(l)
Edited by RBG, Feb 2 2018, 01:32:32 AM.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Ivan0716
Feb 2 2018, 12:03:31 AM
1. Viridiana (1961) Rewatch - 10/10
I thought Viridiana is counted as a Spanish film in this forum?

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Clemmetarey: Just wanted your opinion for movies that are co-productions

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ah yes, co-productions. The OP should read ''If you're not sure whether a film count, just ask.'' I'll add it.

I would say co-productions are fine, but the main country should be a latin american one. In the case of Viridiana, spanish actors, filmed in spain, in spanish, the only thing (as far as I know) that would link this to Mexico is Bunuel being mexican.

So I wouldn't say it counts, but I'm open to discussion with other participants.

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. La Ciénaga (2001, Argentina) 6/10
I had a rough start with this one, because at first I hated every characters. As I got used to them, I started enjoying it more and more.

2. Histórias que Só Existem Quando Lembradas (2011, Brazil) 7/10
What a great film. There was something monotonous but fascinating about their daily life.

Some thoughts in spoiler:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Spoiler: click to toggle

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
clemmetarey
Feb 2 2018, 08:29:00 AM
Ah yes, co-productions. The OP should read ''If you're not sure whether a film count, just ask.'' I'll add it.

I would say co-productions are fine, but the main country should be a latin american one. In the case of Viridiana, spanish actors, filmed in spain, in spanish, the only thing (as far as I know) that would link this to Mexico is Bunuel being mexican.

So I wouldn't say it counts, but I'm open to discussion with other participants.
Heh. I also watched this today, and had the same question...

I looked it up, saw Mexico, so I grabbed it from the library. Looking at trivia of the film along with the film (as I'm wont to do), Spain definitely seemed to pop up as the main country. But after this question popped, I did a little digging, and it turns out Mexico has an interesting role in this film...

Silvia Pinal (i.e., Viridiana in the film) is a Mexican actress. Her husband, Gustavo Alatriste, helped produce the film with his company, which is why it has Mexico listed as a country. She helped convince Bunuel to make this film. Then, after Spain banned the film, she fled with a copy of it to Mexico, saving it from destruction. From her Wikipedia page:

Quote:

Years later, Pinal, with the help of her second husband, the producer Gustavo Alatriste, went to Spain, and convinced Buñuel to film Viridiana (1961), with Fernando Rey and Francisco Rabal. The film was a winner of the prestigious Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. Despite the success and prestige of the film, it was rejected by the Spanish censorship and The Vatican, accusing her of blasphemy. The Spanish government ordered the film destroyed,.and only due to Pinal's intervention, who fled with a copy to Mexico, was the film saved from destruction.

So here's my argument: We have a Mexican lead actress, whose husband's Mexican production company helped produce the film, a director who had spent 15 years prior to this film in Mexico, a film that was banned and disowned in Spain for 17 years (the gov't went so far as to shut down the Spanish production companies), and a film that owes its survival to the fact that the lead actress fled with a copy of it to Mexico. Which seems Mexican enough for this challenge. :D

I would like to count it for this challenge, but I'm OK with the decision either way. :geek:

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I see. Thank you for your research, very interesting read!

Sorry, but I'm still not convinced. I sadly can't think of another example now, but I'm sure they've been other films banned in their original country, preserved in another and then autorised. I mean we're talking about Franco here, not a government I imagine open about art in general. Again, I'm not an expert but I'm certain they have been other spanish films censored or ordered destroyed that were saved by foreign actions. And I don't think that's enough to consider it to be from that foreign country.

Not denying the part Mexico played in helping making it, and then preserving it and making it available (which, by the way, was a good idea cos the film is great) but these are elements that took place after the making of the film. So we're back left to co-producing.

I hope that was clear enough. :sweat:

Anyone else?

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
My fault for not knowing what rules you guys generally have regarding co-productions, so feel free to disregard that entry.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think this discussion also came up in a past challenge, can't remember which one. Was it you sacmersault? My point then was that despite the role of Mexico as coproducer and eventual shelter, Viridiana is generally regarded a Spanish film. If you take a look at the 400+ iCM lists it is on, you will spot nearly all the Spanish plus a few European lists but none from Mexico or (strictly) Latin America.
Edited by sortile9io, Feb 2 2018, 02:38:32 PM.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
sortile9io
Feb 2 2018, 02:35:28 PM
I think this discussion also came up in a past challenge, can't remember which one. Was it you sacmersault? My point then was that despite the role of Mexico as coproducer and eventual shelter, Viridiana is generally regarded a Spanish film. If you take a look at the 400+ iCM lists it is on, you will spot nearly all the Spanish plus a few European lists but none from Mexico or (strictly) Latin America.
Yeah, I tried to argue that it was Mexican, but it was decided that it was more Spanish.

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, these five all won the Ariel Award for Best Mexican Feature Film so they'll surely count:

1. Principio y fin (1993)
2. Mariana, Mariana (1987)
3. Pastorela (2011)
4. El Callejón de los Milagros (1995)
5. Rojo amanecer (1989) *recommended*

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Members: sortile9io
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone