Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCMFF 2 - Programmers' Thread
Topic Started: Feb 6 2018, 03:15:12 AM (1,942 Views)
outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Time to start...

If you're interested in being a programmer this year, let me know here. You need to be committed to cross-watching a lot of titles - cross-watching meaning either watching a title another programmer recommended, or agreeing to SWAP a good candidate film at the same time as another programming - over the coming year (the festival, like last year, will be held late in the fall). You also need to play nicely with others!

Eligibility rules...
-2015-2018 IMDb dates (not flexible)
-<5000 votes on IMDb (flexible)
-Not already discussed to death on this forum (somewhat subjective I suppose)

I will also be delegating more stuff to other programmers this year than I have in the past. Stay 'tuned.

Once you're in the club, we'll use this thread to cross-reference, discuss films, and discuss rules of the festival and changes.

Edited by outdoorcats, Feb 6 2018, 04:12:22 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, what is the time commitment like? Or if you prefer, what do you mean by "a lot" of titles? Just trying to get a sense of what I/we would be getting ourselves into...

And I know I'm early, but I'd suggest and advocate for a stand-up comedy section.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
So as the first programmer, here are some eligible titles I've seen, with a short description of each (please do this):

Being 17 - Extremely angsty (in a good way?) gay teen romance set against beautiful rural French scenery.
Bridgend - One of the bleakest films about teenagers ever, it is based on a true story of an epidemic of teenage suicides in a rural county in Wales. Powerful. Not a fun watch. If you're hoping for an easy explanation or a thriller about a suicide cult you will be disappointed.
Burning Sands - Drama about extreme hazing at an HBCU
Custody -> Extremely tense domestic thriller about a very specific kind of abuser
First Girl I Loved - Very independent and challenging American high-school LGBT film.
Goldstone - Follow-up to previous festival entry Mystery Road. This time aboriginal Detective Jay Swan, reeling from personal tragedy, stumbles onto a cover-up involving a missing prostitute and runs afoul of the shady locals (two of which are played by David Wenham and a scene-stealing Jacki Weaver)
The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Maki - B&W super-charming Cannes hit about a simple and sweet Finnish boxer who becomes an unlikely contender for the 1962 world featherweight title.
Harmonium - Completely unpredictable Japanese drama about a husband who accepts an ex-con into his family's home to their bewilderment.
Ismael's Ghosts -> Arnaud Desplechin goes off the deep end, possibly a real love it/hate it film with hidden treasures for the patient
Layla M. -> Well-produced drama follows a teenage girl who becomes radicalized and wife to an ISIS fighter.
Let the Corpses Tan -> Hyper-stylish and impossibly beautiful Cattet/Forzani homage to '70s Italian Eurotrash crime films.
Montparnasse Bienvenue -> A funny, dark drama about downward mobility and unexpected homelessness with a great flawed protagonist.
My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea -> Title says it all, doesn't it? Super low-budget, super-creative animated comedy high-school drama x disaster film sendup.
My Golden Days - Arnaud Desplechin's most accessible film and maybe his most beautiful; an unforgettable and genre-bending ode to first love and lost youth.
The Pearl Button - Another masterful, beautiful, and philosophical essay film from Patricio Guzman (Nostalgia for the Light)
The Rehearsal -> Brilliant film about overachieving first-year drama students.
Staying Vertical - Alain Guiraudie's heavy surrealist drama explores sexual identity politics, the creative process, and vivid images of rustic country life. A very weird and haunting film that defies easy interpretation.
Suntan - Very uncomfortable and increasingly disturbing story of lust and obsession set on beautiful Greek beaches.
(T)ERROR -> Hard-to-believe documentary that secretly follows an FBI undercover sting operation as it unfolds which reveals the incompetence and rights-trampling of law enforcement fighting the "war on terror," and also a character study of its oddball lead character. Worthy companion piece to Citizenfour.
Welcome to Leith - Documentary about Nazis who tried to move into and take over an extremely small town is more relevant than ever.
The White Knights -> Very uncomfortable film based on a true-life scandal, about morally questionable NGO humanitarian workers in Africa.
The Workshop -> Fascinating dynamics in a diverse writing workshop on the sunny French coast, unsettled by a troubled member with violent fantasies
Wulu -> Very well produced if somewhat formulaic rags-to-riches crime drama from Senegal

These are my top 5 of those which I would most want other programmers to see:

My Golden Days
Goldstone
(T)ERROR
The Rehearsal
Bridgend

Some films I very much want to see:

Aquarius - Looks absolutely gorgeous, perhaps a lot of users have already seen it?
Clash - Got some of the highest praise in reviews that I have ever tracked from films that played at Cannes; a claustrophic thriller set inside a paddy wagon in the middle of the Egyptian revolution
Les Cowboys - French semi-remake of The Searchers about a father who hunts for his daughter after she runs away to the Middle East with her Muslim boyfriend. Looks like interesting territory potentially.
Disorder [aka Maryland] - French thriller that played the festival circuit and garnered some critical acclaim
Divines - Another Cannes favorite about French teen girls flirting with a life of crime
Graduation - Romanian New Wave Cannes hit from Cristian Mungiu (4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days, Beyond the Hills)
I Am Not Madame Bovary - I heard really good things about this Chinese dark comedy.
The Idol - Director of Paradise Now and Omar makes an inspirational film about a Palestinian wedding singer trying to get on "Arab Idol"? I'm curious...
Interrogation - Tamil film about corrupt cops torturing and trying to frame Tamil laborers looks intense
Ixcanul Volcano [aka Ixcanul] - flaiky strongly recommends this SA drama and I heard a lot of great things when it played at the PFF too
The Measure of a Man - Vincent Lindon + employment struggles drama should always be relatable
My Life as a Zucchini - Claymation film, based on YA novel, about a boy sent to an orphanage after tragedy strikes. Written by Celine Sciamma!
Nocturama - Bertrand Bonnello, bomb-planting teenagers holed up in a department store, sounds intriguing
The Oath - Icelandic genre thriller about a father who goes too far trying to save his daughter
The Ornithologist - The new JPR film, not sure how I haven't seen it yet!
Suburra - Lots of acclaim for this Italian crime film
The Survivalist - Heard great things about this post-apocalyptic drama
Standing Tall - French drama about a troubled teen and workers trying to help him will hit close to home for me
Things to Come - Director Mia Hansen Love (Goodbye First Love, Eden) + Isabelle Huppert, a festival favorite from a couple years back
The Tiger - Koran blockbuster starring Choi Min-sik

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Feb 6 2018, 03:51:11 AM
So, what is the time commitment like? Or if you prefer, what do you mean by "a lot" of titles? Just trying to get a sense of what I/we would be getting ourselves into...

And I know I'm early, but I'd suggest and advocate for a stand-up comedy section.
If you want to do this, you're committing to this all year. I'm not saying you have to be constantly on this throughout the year, but you should do, let's say, at least 20 cross-watches before the end of summer so we can present a decent lineup to our jury on time.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
outdoorcats
Feb 6 2018, 04:12:04 AM
Harmonium
Let the Corpses Tan
My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea
Staying Vertical
The Pearl Button
Wulu
Aquarius
Clash
Graduation
My Life as a Zucchini
Nocturama
The Ornithologist
Suburra
Things to Come
I quoted what I've seen from the titles you mentioned
And I like to join as a programmer this time!

(I'm of to work soon, but tonight I think I could also post an extensive list with suggestions)
Edited by beavis, Feb 6 2018, 06:39:26 AM.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
The Obsessed Listmaking Slut
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't see enough new films to be a programmer, but Rey (2017) could be a great pick, especially for the arthouse category.

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'm interested! Should I just whack through a list of recent favs of mine?

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
St. Gloede
Feb 6 2018, 06:52:26 AM
I don't see enough new films to be a programmer, but Rey (2017) could be a great pick, especially for the arthouse category.
my new avatar agrees

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I won't be a programmer this year but here's a list I made when I was still thinking about programming and watching a lot of new movies. Most them are rejects from last year. Maybe next year...

Features:
Nakom (2016)
The Innocents (2016)
Infinity Chamber (2016)
They Call Me Jeeg (2015)
OtherLife (2017)
Tamara (II) (2016)
Kyanq u Kriv (2016)
The Clan (2015)
Black (III) (2015)
Our Loved Ones (2015)
Bleak Street (2015)
Miséricorde (2016)
Yellow Flowers on the Green Grass (2015)
Men & Chicken (2015)
Chevalier (2015)
Frantz (2016)
Aloys (2016)
Before the Streets (2016)
Neon Bull (2015)
The Fencer (2015)
The First, the Last (2016)
Blame! (2017)
Scarred Hearts (2016)
Rams (2015)
Zoology (2016)
Goran (2016)
Quit Staring at My Plate (2016)
Headshot (II) (2016)
Asura: The City of Madness (2016)
Cobra Gypsies Documentary (2015)
Human (I) (2015)
I Am Belfast (2015)

Shorts:
Fuckkkyouuu (2015)
Dispatch (II) (2016)
The Leap (2015)

If and when I see any more eligible films I'll mention them.
Edited by Eve-Lang-El-Coup, Feb 6 2018, 08:18:04 AM.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd like to be a programmer, please. The time commitment being longer makes this more ideal for me than a juror/participant in the actual festival.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
fori
Feb 6 2018, 07:41:20 AM
I great intro, then you can be more selective later when it comes to swapping them with others - can also lead to some quick wins, as other programmers may already have seen and loved several.

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
St. Gloede
Feb 6 2018, 11:27:16 AM
fori
Feb 6 2018, 07:41:20 AM
I great intro, then you can be more selective later when it comes to swapping them with others - can also lead to some quick wins, as other programmers may already have seen and loved several.
Wait can you explain what this means and how this whole process works?

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Just list all of the good films you've watched! Then tell other programmers to watch them 'cause they're good and stuff. Follow Oudoorcats' example.

Swapping

You only need two programmers to recommend a movie to enter it into the final 'ballot' of films for the ICMFF.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
The main concept is explained by Outdoorcats above. Typically films approved by 2 or more programmers gets on the shortlist, which the jurors then vote on (based on interest). This decides the main slate, and the remaining films will be distributed into the other categories (with some being left behind due to low ratings).

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I don't know if I want in anymore...

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Not a problem either way. Too bad though, you would have had a lot to contribute - but actually seeking out others' obscure favorites is part of it. Note: You are not locked to having to see specific films.

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
St. Gloede
Feb 6 2018, 12:24:36 PM
Note: You are not locked to having to see specific films.
Precisely the problem.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Ah, you are afraid people may not be interested in seeking out your choices?

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Yes.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
I wouldn't worry about that as it should not be too hard. Many will jump on them without prompting, while others will swap them as they need you to watch their picks - and given the rate of which you watch films you probably have more film viewing time as currency than anybody else here.

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
too wired to concentrate, good for Nothing
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
But you'll never find that out if you don't post them in the first place. If you post a list of favourites, preferably with compelling comments that'll increase the chances someone will take notice, people might be interested, watch those films, and if they like them enough co-select a subset of them - that's the whole point of this thread. Don't resign if you haven't even tried.

fori
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Ok here goes:

RUSSELL MADNESS - More people need to see the work of Robert Vince, the very definition of an auteur
CHAMISSOS SCHATTEN - A twelve hour tonally creative doco from a better alternative to Herzog

Actually to be honest I can't think of anything else that is easy to access on the net and needs & deserves more exposure.

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I can't be a programmer for feature films this year, but I'm always interested in SWAPs, so might participate in those if you guys choose anything. But I'll try to program and propose stuff for the Short Films Categories (anew "Narrative", "Experimental" & "Music Videos").

As far as amending some of the guidelines of the Festival as a whole (given the change of forum), I think in last year's Main Slate thread Cynical mentioned three sensible propositions:
-No Jury President anymore. The transparency of this forum and its lack of a troll/spam problem doesn't require a PMing President.
-Anyone can sign up as a juror given a promise of commitment to the chosen categories.
-Anyone which completes a given category is automatically a juror for that category (if he wants to).
Edited by Carmel1379, Feb 6 2018, 01:25:35 PM.

monk-time
Member Avatar
Quite a bunch of us
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Carmel1379
Feb 6 2018, 01:02:38 PM
Don't resign if you haven't even tried.
The chance of not failing when not trying is 100% though, you can't beat that. :P

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
monk-time
Feb 6 2018, 01:10:33 PM
Carmel1379
Feb 6 2018, 01:02:38 PM
Don't resign if you haven't even tried.
The chance of not failing when not trying is 100% though, you can't beat that. :P
Posted Image

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Carmel1379
Feb 6 2018, 01:10:06 PM
I can't be a programmer for feature films this year, but I'm always interested in SWAPs, so might participate in those if you guys choose anything. But I'll try to program and propose stuff for the Short Films Categories (anew "Narrative", "Experimental" & "Music Videos").

As far as amending some of the guidelines of the Festival as a whole (given the change of forum), I think in last year's Main Slate thread Cynical mentioned three sensible propositions:
-No Jury President anymore. The transparency of this forum and its lack of a troll/spam problem doesn't require a PMing President.
-Anyone can sign up as a juror given a promise of commitment to the chosen categories.
-Anyone which completes a given category is automatically a juror for that category (if he wants to).
I support all three. Hear hear!

peeptoad
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I think I will have to decline this year, although I probably will have time for the audience participation later in the year...
Edited by peeptoad, Feb 6 2018, 01:42:17 PM.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't plan to watch that many new releases this year, but if I come across something relatively obscure that I particularly enjoy, I'll give it a shout out here. So, no, I'm not gonna be a programmer this year, but I'll certainly join in as a juror.

Carmel

Of course, I support my 3 propositions. However, we could still use a jury president to help moderate voting and assigning of the awards and stuff.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have 236 candidates that scored good with me and I could reccomend in some way or another
That is a lot for me to all cross-reference with Imdb to see if they have <5000 votes... but at least they have <150 votes on MovieMeter

which I found to be a good cutoff (after testing the treshhold a bit to see at which point more well-known or mainstream titles would pop up from my search-query)... So I still think most, if not all, of them would qualify.

Spoiler: click to toggle

The highest ranks are at the top
I could highlight a few titles, but it is also a bit too much now to write up ALL the titles
First I will make a list of titles on my wishlist that could qualify
Edited by beavis, Feb 6 2018, 07:45:56 PM.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
my whishlist for the 2015 - 2018 period contains 28 titles at the moment
of course I will be seeing many new films in cinema throughout the year, I didn't include those in this list
this is just what I have lined up for myself at the moment that could also qualify for this

Anthem of the Heart 2015
Behemoth 2015
Call me Lucky 2015
Counting 2015
digging for fire 2015
entertainment 2015
Green Room 2015
Hitchcock Truffaut 2015
les ogres 2015
Marguerite et Julien 2015
Montanha 2015
Soredake (that's it) 2015
Sunset Song 2015
The Diary of a Teenage Girl 2015
the diary of an old man 2015
The Fits 2015
the interior 2015
yakuza apocalypse 2015
a Silent Voice 2016
dark night 2016
Headshot 2016
Les Innocentes 2016
Mindhorn 2016
Seoul Station 2016
suntan 2016
Train to Busan 2016
zoology 2016
berlin syndrome 2017

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
El Auge del Humano - 2016
I think this is an import new kind of cinema that needs to be highlighted in the art-house section. Of course it doesn't come out of nothing. Apichatpong Weerashethakul has been a huge influence into a more obscure and freewheeling cinema that is both very local and very global. And other roots might be in the works of Ben Rivers and Ben Russell, works which have a strong antropological and conceptual art interest. These huge influences inspire very low budget and obscure, and totally unique, works like The Unity of All Things (2013) that are not for everyone, but El Auge del Humano, while also hard to get a grip on, should have a universal appeal and presents people with both something they can relate to and, certainly cinematically speaking, totally fresh.

Boi Neon - 2015
One of the best Brazillian movies of recent years. And the recent years have been good for Brazillian cinema in general! It is beautifully shot, deeply felt and presents a unique world in a unique way. Something that lingers in the mind.

Home - 2016
I wonder how much the highly praised Belgian director Fien Troch is known outside the Benelux? This movie would be an excellent gateway into her work though. It is more stylish than previous work, sometimes reminding me of Xavier Dolan. And it also doesn't get boring. But it is still rooted in serious theme's around youths and abuse. That mix made it very strong for me, but she might have lost the older art-house crowd while not exactly reaching a younger genre crowd... I think the ICM-crowd might be exactly right for it :)

Results - 2015
I felt this movie got a bit lost also. It might feel too commercial for the original mumblecore fans of this director, while at the same time not exciting or "good" enough for a more mainstream (indie) audience. What is important to know is that it feels like a movie made by Bujalski, regardless of how it looks at the surface. I love how this man writes grounded characters and the way he clearly loves them. Very underrated!

Rey - 2017
Like El Auge del Humano one of the top-10 movies for me last year. This one focusses a lot on visual experimentation and less on the story. Not as extreme as Buenas Noches, España (2011), but that movie did come to mind. As did some movies about people wandering of in the wildernis, losing their direction and maybe minds, what seems to be a popular theme in recent years. It has a bit of a mythological quality to it that I absolutely loved.

All These Sleepless Nights - 2016
This one should be very popular with a younger art-house crowd. It has young people, lot's of meandering, lot's of party's. It's about real people, but directed like a fiction. Great mood and fresh filmmaking.

It's getting late and my writing seems to get less inspired... the following titles I also selected to highlight and write something about... maybe later...

La Belle Saison - 2015
Desde Alla - 2015
Le Fils de Joseph - 2016
Freelance: Ham Puay... Ham Phak... Ham Rak Mor - 2015
La Idea de un Lago - 2016
Karera ga Honki de Amu Toki Wa - 2017 When They Knit Seriously
Mimosas - 2016
Le Parc - 2016
Les Premiers les Derniers - 2016
Rester Vertical - 2016
Yoru Wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome - 2017 The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl

all these titles should be on the main slate of 2018!!!! :)

flaiky
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I think I trust myself not to flake (flaike?) out this year, as long as you trust me as well. ;) I still don't feel very "adventurous" with films, in the sense that I only want to watch stuff that I personally choose to watch. But that's why I'll be better as a programmer than a juror and don't worry as there's plenty of titles mentioned already that I'm interested in. Although I'm also noticing that I'm less forgiving of films than I once was!

Mentioned stuff that I've already seen:

- Layla M, support
- Wulu, support
- Aquarius, support
- Ixcanul, woo, big support :) C'monnn let's get this baby in this time
- The Innocents, support
- Yellow Flowers on the Green Grass, don't really support
- Chevalier, don't support
- Frantz, weak support
- A Woman's Life, big support
- Let the Sunshine In, don't quite support
- Certain Women, weak support (and too well known?)
- The Club, don't quite support
- James White, support
- Mimosas, support
- A Quiet Passion, weak support
- The Other Side of Hope, support
- Blood of my Blood, don't support
- Tanna, support

Films I suggest, in rough order of enthusiasm, I haven't looked into availability (weird that the cut-off now is 2015, it doesn't feel like long ago we were scheduling 2012 stuff!):

- HyperNormalisation: Eye-opening, incredibly interesting political documentary
- Summer 1993: Beautiful Spanish drama with shades of Ponette
- Dearest Sister: Atmospheric drama-horror from Laos with some social commentary
- Tower: Creative, gripping, and moving doc about a 1960s campus shooting
- Mademoiselle Paradis: Austrian period drama based on the true story of a blind pianist
- Requiem for the American Dream: Political doc from Noam Chomsky, basically an extended lecture but thoroughly engaging and with visual flair
- Starless Dreams: Heartbreaking doc about Iranian teenage girls in custody
- Gemini: Stylish and atmospheric neo-noir set in LA
- The King: Lively doc that charts the rise and fall of Elivis alongside changes in American society
-Cuba and the Cameraman: Documentary filmmaker returns to Cuba, visiting the same families, over 40 years (on Netflix)
- Listen to Me Marlon: Documentary that's cleverly constructed so that Brando narrates his own life and career
- Winter Brothers: Enigmatic and intriguing arthouse fare set in rural Denmark
- Ethel & Ernest: Charming animation that follows a family from the 1920s to the 1970s, autobiographic story from the author of The Snowman
- Beware the Slenderman: True-crime doc about the bizarre and disturbing "Slenderman stabbing", good insight into the case and surrounding issues without feeling exploitative
- Kingdom of Us: Intimate doc that follows a grieving family over several years (on Netflix)
- Sweet Country: Set in early 20th century Aussie outback
- Wallay: French teenager is sent to live in rural Burkina Faso
- My Skinny Sister: Swedish drama about anorexia

Proposed stuff I'm interested in, roughly ordered (I ignored a few that I think are too "big"):

- Rams
- Dawson City: Frozen Time
- Scarred Hearts
- The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Maki
- Let the Corpses Tan
- The Eyes of My Mother
- Endless Poetry
- Lady Macbeth
- My Golden Days (I still haven't seen any Despechin...)
- The Death of Louis XIV
- Montparnasse Bienvenue
- The Pearl Button
- (T)ERROR
- From Afar
- Manifesto
- Weiner Dog
- On Body and Soul
- Western
- The Levelling
- Bridgend
- Welcome to Leith
- I am Belfast
- Staying Vertical
- A Bride for Rip Van Winkle
- The Daughter
(Could still be convinced on some others)

Stuff others want to see that I'm up for SWAPing, again, roughly ordered:

- The Measure of a Man
- Sunset Song
- Clash
- The Survivalist
- The Fits
- Hitchcock/Truffaut
- Nocturama
- I Am Not Madame Bovary (hadn't heard of it but sure, always interested in independent Chinese stuff)
- Graduation
- Divines
- My Life as a Courgette (I love Sciama of course, but the animation style has put me off so far)
- The Ornithologist

Non-mentioned titles I'm interested in (I'm sure there's more, but I'm terrible at watchlisting stuff and this is the few random ones I've saved or can think of - again I haven't checked availability):

- LA 92
- Cameraperson
- God's Own Country
- The Work
- Lots of Kids, a Monkey and a Castle
- Mrs Fang
- A Man of Integrity
- Under the Sun
- The Endless
- All This Panic
- I am Not a Witch
- Ava
- Bangkok Nites
- Wajib
- Wolf and Sheep
- Indignation
- April's Daughter
- Makala
- Gleason

No way I'll watch all of those, of course, let's just see what happens.. but let me know if anyone wants to SWAP from my last three lists.

Phew!
Edited by flaiky, Feb 6 2018, 10:12:55 PM.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I haven’t seen I Am Not Madame Bovary, but I don’t think you can call it
a Chinese independent. It’s directed by Feng Xiaogang, a director of very commercial successfully movies and often called the Chinese Spielberg. Of course I don’t mean that this is a reason to not nominate or watch it, but just to manage the expectations. In fact that might make it an interesting choice in contrast with the typical Chinese “Jia Zhangke”-type art house movies.

More on topic, I’m not into the time commitment needed as a programmer. But will make a list of movies I think should be considered. If that’s okay.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Feb 6 2018, 11:18:02 PM.

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
you are your faith - lose it and you're not
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I offer myself up for programmer duties.

And this is just a list of all the good films I've watched, so dear programmers, watch them 'cause they're good and stuff.

I'll add titles to this post as I see more films, the titles in question I'll add in green.

Caniba (Véréna Paravel & Lucien Castaing-Taylor, 2017) - Infamous Japanese with a perverted criminal history, up close to the point of being tactile, and then to the point of being transcendent in its context-less materialism and banality of an ego trapped in a body clinging to life in comfort. His bro is there too.
Another Year (Shengze Zhu, 2016) - Documentary in thirteen uninterrupted shots, one per month, showing a Chinese migrant worker family's life around the dinner table. Utter banality, showing the excitement of day-to-day living while in the course of its runtime also giving a sense of development.
Wilde Maus / Wild Mouse (Josef Hader, 2017) - Dramedy in which a middle-aged music journalist (Josef Hader) experiences an existential and a marital crisis after being fired from his job.
Night Awake (Sandy Ding, 2016) - Tscherkassky-esque beautiful grit.
Svi severni gradovi / All the Cities of the North (Dane Komljen, 2016) - Uninhabited apartment complexes, a handful of essentially possessionless and desireless men living there primitively in harmony with the nature that surrounds them.
The Bronze (Johnnie To, 2015) - A sports movie & inspiring success story parody, exposing the underlying idiocy of both with great gusto and immature humor.
華麗上班族 / Office / Hua li shang ban zu (2015) - [Brechtian (3D) musical, business life denouncement, deceptively escapist Zeitkritik]
Dog Eat Dog (Paul Schrader, 2016) - What's 'Taxi Driver'? Finally out of prison: Nicolas Cage. Willem Dafoe. Christopher Matthew Cook. Not the smartest or the most harmonious bunch of thugs you have ever seen, but they are partners in crime 4 life planning their big coup. Hilarity ensues. It's a livin'.
La dame dans l'auto avec des lunettes et un fusil / The Lady in the Car with Glasses and a Gun (Joann Sfar, 2015) - Watch out guys. Mousy redhead secretary on the loose, living it up in a sexy oldtimer (I'm talking cars) that she is supposed to just keep an eye on while her boss is away on a trip. Also, it's French, so... Also, she finds a body in the trunk and is disoriented a lot, so...
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House (Oz Perkins, 2016) - Director of 'The Blackcoat’s Daughter', 'nuff said. OK, here's more: https://letterboxd.com/systematicer/film/i-am-the-pretty-thing-that-lives-in-the-house/
Blue Velvet Revisited (Peter Braatz, 2016) - [belated experimental 8mm behind-the-scenes documentary]
Hangman (Adam Mason, 2015) - Found footage horror isn't dead. Nor are home invasion movies. But what if the home invader doesn't make his presence known and his terrorizing presence is founded in the hidden cameras he planted? Think about it.
Manhattan Night / Manhattan Nocturne (Brian DeCubellis, 2016) - [NYC-based present-day low-key neo-noir]
They Look Like People (Perry Blackshear, 2015) - A friendship is being put to the test. Belief, conviction, paranoia, insanity.
海街diary / Our Little Sister / Umimachi Diary (Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2015) - [female-centric family-matters slice-of-life, down-to-earth feel-good movie, light drama with heart, tearjerker, live-action anime]
Le convoi / The Convoy (Frédéric Schoendoerffer, 2016) - ["Fury Road" for drug smugglers]
Listen to Me Marlon (Stevan Riley, 2015) - Brando in his own words. Not just an autobiographical documentary, but an exposé of an unusual philosophy of life made by a legend from out of the grave.
The Nightmare (Rodney Ascher, 2015) - Doc or horror film? Sleep paralysis and the visions/nightmares they come with. The experiences of the witnesses are not only disconcertingly vivid, but their accounts are also strangely similar to each other down to minute details. Dream or reality?
Fear Itself (Charlie Lyne, 2015) - Essay film and film essay. Horror films are scary, especially to this guy.
Fassbinder: at elske uden at kræve / Fassbinder - lieben ohne zu fordern (Christian Braad Thomsen, 2015) - Documentary about that Fassbinder guy. What made him tick? You won't find a documentary with a more compelling and more rounded answer.
How We Built the Bomb (Seth Skundrick; executive producers: Nicole Rittenmeyer & Seth Skundrick, 2015) - Listen carefully. I'm going to pronounce a few words. They're harmless words. Just a bunch of letters scrambled together. But their meaning is very important. Try to understand what they mean. "Manhattan Project, Los Alamos, Trinity." Documentary with interview reenactments about the group of scientists who worked on creating the atom bomb for the good of mankind (cuz, like, Nazis are bad and stuff).
RiffTrax Live: Miami Connection (2015) - Live riffing (in a theater setting) of the cult classic 'Miami Connection' by the three best members of the MST3k crew. An unforgettable event of rip-roaring laughter and karate in 80's clothing.
Hounds of Love (Ben Young, 2016) - Lovers in the habit of kidnapping girls for ransom. What's love? The woman starts to wonder.
មុនដំបូងខ្មែរក្រហមសម្លាប់ប៉ារបស់ខ្ / First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers (Angelina Jolie, 2017) - Child in war, life goes on.

Shorts (music videos, narrative shorts & experimental shorts):

Music videos:

Lindemann: Fish On (2015)
Radiohead: Daydreaming (2016)
Björk: Mouth Mantra (Jesse Kanda, 2015)
Björk: The Gate (Andrew Thomas Huang, 2017)

Narrative shorts:

The Lost Dreams of Naoki Hayakawa (Ane Hjort Guttu & Daisuke Kosugi, 2016)
Time Passes (Ane Hjort Guttu, 2015)
无无眠 / No No Sleep / Wu wu mian (Tsai Ming-liang, 2015)
Breaker (Philippe McKie, 2017)
The Chickening (Nick DenBoer & Davy Force, 2015)
Cream (David Firth, 2016)
Life Inside a Secret Chinese Bitcoin Mine (2015) [not on IMDb]
Therapy (Cyanide and Happiness) (Rob DenBleyker, 2015)
Fear & Shame (Vikram Gandhi, 2017) - A hungry but shy Hollywood star desires a famously awesome hot dog. Does he dare expose himself to the public for this base craving?

Experimental shorts:

Munchsferatu (Julien Lahmi, 2017) [not on IMDb]
Idizwadidiz (Isiah Medina)
Love’s Refrain (Paul Clipson, 2016)
Lighthouse (Paul Clipson, 2015) [not on IMDb]
Michael Cimino par Johanna Vaude / The End of innocence (Johanna Vaude, 2017) [not on IMDb]
Chargez ! par Johanna Vaude (Johanna Vaude, 2017) [not on IMDb]
The Extinct Suite (Anna Malina Zemlianski, 2017) [not on IMDb]
Tenderness (Paul Clipson, 2017) [not on IMDb]

I still need to investigate everything that has been mentioned by others, so far I'm intrigued by and will try to see (I'll add to this list too, in non-green):

Let the Corpses Tan
Staying Vertical
The White Knights
Harmonium
The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl
Chamissos Schatten (2016)
The Daughter (2015)
Bulanti (2015)
Western (2017)
I Am Belfast (2015)
Liza, a rókatündér (2015)
I, Olga Hepnarova (2016)
Edited by Perception de Ambiguity, Feb 7 2018, 01:34:15 AM.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Welcome beavis and Fergenaprido, welcome back flaiky and PdA!

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Have I got this list right so far? Did I miss anything?

(I didn't include titles flaiky "weakly recommended" because we already have so many)

The current list (includes films at least two programmers recommended):

Aquarius (beavis + flaiky)
Cemetery of Splendour (beavis + outdoorcats)
Harmonium (beavis + outdoorcats)
The Innocents (beavis + flaiky + outdoorcats)
It's Only the End of the World (beavis + outdoorcats)
James White (beavis + flaiky)
Layla M. (flaiky + outdoorcats)
Let the Corpses Tan (beavis + outdoorcats)
Listen to Me Marlon (flaiky + Perception de Ambiguity)
Mia Madre (beavis + outdoorcats)
Mimosas (beavis + flaiky)
My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea (beavis + outdoorcats)
Neruda (beavis + outdoorcats)
On Body and Soul (beavis + outdoorcats)
The Other Side of Hope (beavis + flaiky)
The Pearl Button (beavis + outdoorcats)
Sweet Country (flaiky + outdoorcats)
Staying Vertical (beavis + outdoorcats)
Summer 1993 (beavis + flaiky)
Tanna (beavis + flaiky)
Tower (flaiky + outdoorcats)
Under the Shadow (beavis + outdoorcats)
A Woman's Life (beavis + flaiky)
Wulu (beavis + flaiky + outdoorcats)

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]

I like these.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
@flaiky (and other programmers too) - Can you see Clash this weekend?

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
Gonna try and keep up to date with this and use the list as a watchlist. I'd like to be a juror again, hopefully without a repeat of what happened last year which made me too depressed to watch films for a month, so at least this way I might have seen a decent chunk well before it starts.

I'll try to keep this updated: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls021426360/
Edited by mightysparks, Feb 7 2018, 02:32:16 AM.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Ahhhhhh I've been waiting for this. Can I be a Programmer?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Film Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone