Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
La perla AKA The Pearl (1947); Film of the Week #215 - Challenge
Topic Started: Feb 12 2018, 05:43:43 AM (130 Views)
joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Film of the Week #215: La perla AKA The Pearl (1947)

Posted Image

Summary:
Quino is a Mexican diver who discovers a pearl at the bottom of the sea. He and his wife Juana, and their son have just taken possession of a pearl that is worth thousands. Everyday people try to get in on the cash, even Pearl Dealers try to rip them off. When Quino is attacked one day, he kills his attackers in self defence. His brother suggests their only hope is to leave the village. But on their journey to give their son an education they never had, someone may just do anything to prevent it.

Info/Links:
#275 on 500<400, with 189 checks.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 results

This movie fits the current Latin American Challenge.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Saw this a few years ago. Wasn't too keen on the picture overall, but it's a competent piece of filmmaking from the '40s. The story itself is somewhat interesting (unsurprisingly, since it's based on a Steinbeck book), and perhaps I'd appreciate it better upon rewatch, but I'd rather watch something new.

7.4/10
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fergenaprido
Feb 12 2018, 12:04:01 PM
Saw this a few years ago. Wasn't too keen on the picture overall, but it's a competent piece of filmmaking from the '40s. The story itself is somewhat interesting (unsurprisingly, since it's based on a Steinbeck book), and perhaps I'd appreciate it better upon rewatch, but I'd rather watch something new.

7.4/10
The new HD-rip looks a lot better than what we watched for the WC.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

weirdboy
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I thought it was a pretty good adaptation of the Steinbeck novel, although it did tend to swing a big melodramatic stick, complete with swelling dramatic music, that I found a bit overbearing at times.

I still haven't seen the 1939 Of Mice and Men, so I can't say how it ranks among all of the other Steinbeck adaptations, but it's somewhere in the middle of the pack for me.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Film Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone