Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1948 (Results), 1987 awards (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 25th), South-East Asia (Apr 27th), New official lists (Nominations Apr 29th), 1958 awards (Apr 30th)
Challenges: TSPDT, France, 1970s
Film of the Week: Vale Abraão
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1F (Apr 25th), Match 1G (May 13th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
French Challenge; Official - April 2018
Topic Started: Mar 29 2018, 05:22:34 AM (4,003 Views)
maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Goal
From 1 April 2018 to 30 April 2018, watch as many films from France as you can. Only films made in France are eligible - because this is a Country challenge, we're sticking with the country of France.

Eligible Countries
France

Usual Rules
- Any film in from France counts
- Feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- The miniseries rule applies.
- Rewatches are allowed.

Stats & Formatting:
- Title (year) is the preferred format
- For TV episodes, please use "Series Title: Episode Title (year)"
- I'll be tracking years with this challenge, along with the number of doubles (films counting for two official challenges) and triples (films counting for all three official challenges)

Useful Links:

Official Lists
César Awards
TimeOut
Times

Unofficial Lists
Explore French cinema
Film de France top 100
French Ministry of foreign affairs
Histoires De Films Français
ICM Forum Top 250
Nouvelle vague
Les inrocks top 100
RYM Top 100
Une histoire du cinéma français
Every film that's ever won a Caesar <-- Thanks clemmetarey!

French Films Streaming on Common Platforms (US Only)
Netflix: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchnow=netflix&countries=fr
Amazon Prime: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchnow=amazon_prime&countries=fr
Hulu: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchnow=hulu_plus&countries=fr
Filmstruck: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchnow=film_struck&countries=fr

List of Triples
Triples: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/triple+funexclamation/72allinncallme/

Shout Out
clemmetarey, whose 2016 post for this challenge I've shamelessly stolen. :thumbsup:

Participants
Participants
RankParticipantNumber of WatchesDoublesTriples
1 psychotronicbeatnik 78 29 9
2 hurluberlu 38 12 3
3 allisoncm 33 7 0
3 Ivan0716 33 18 11
5 sortile9io 30 11 0
6 morrison-dylan-fan 23 8 1
7 72allinncallme 20 12 2
8 clemmetarey 19 7 1
9 Hippiemans 18 4 1
10 Simba63 17 10 7
11 3eyes 16 2 2
12 Mate_cosido 14 8 4
13 jdidaco 12 12 0
14 jeroeno 11 8 2
15 sol 10 2 0
16 maxwelldeux 9 6 1
16 ororama 9 3 0
18 klaus78 8 2 0
19 frbrown 7 3 1
20 OldAle1 6 2 2
20 vortexsurfer 6 4 0
22 connordenney 5 1 1
23 cinephage 4 1 0
23 Tarris1 4 0 0
23 St. Gloede 4 2 0
23 India Istanbul 4 3 0
27 Fergenaprido 3 1 1
27 sebby 3 1 2
27 tommy_leazaq 3 2 1
30 blocho 2 1 0
31 Lakigigar 1 0 0
31 matthewscott8 1 0 0

Fun Stats:
Week 1 Stats
Week 2 Stats
Week 3 Stats
Edited by maxwelldeux, Yesterday, 4:26 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So much I would like to see. Yeah, I'm in.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
In! Just France then? You guys are so strict :D

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
oui, je suis 'in'.

Tarris1
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Might go for bronze in both the country lists, ~14 movies left (assuming 8 of the movies are on both lists)

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
In. (Not even Belgium? Oh, well.)
Edited by 3eyes, Mar 29 2018, 01:23:45 PM.

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
C'est parti mon kiki !!!
Of course I'm in, even though I'll spend the first 2 weeks of april in a Film Festival and won't be able to work on any challenge...

weirdboy
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know I am definitely watching at least one movie. I have a list of many more that I'd like to get through in April, but not sure how many I will watch as I'm going to be quite busy for most of the month.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'm in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaw0tYVn40

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Is Providence (1977) eligible?

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Ivan0716
Mar 29 2018, 05:33:39 PM
Is Providence (1977) eligible?
Part of it was filmed in France and the director is French. I don't see why not.

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Sorry, I should have been more specific! Where do we draw the line? Any film with a France tag on IMDB? Anything with a significant(whatever constitutes significant) amount of French involvement?

If the French language isn't a requirement then what about films like:
-The Conformist (1970) and Rocco and His Brothers (1960) which are obviously Italian but were partly filmed in France and/or had a French lead.

-The Pianist (2002) which was set/shot in Poland with a mostly English-speaking cast but has won the Cesar award for best film.

-Mustang (2015) which was the nominated as a French film in the Oscars but doesn't seem to be anything French about it besides the director being a French citizen.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
The Conformist was directed by Bertolucci. It's not a French film, although it features Jean-Louis Trintignant.

Any film nominated for a Cesar would probably be okay.

Mustang you could get away with probably, but that's up to maxwelldeux. It's definitely not filmed in France.

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Ok, so we can't just go by IMDB tags then. I personally wouldn't count those 4 films I listed in the last post, just curious where the line is drawn, not that I'm planning loophole a bunch of non-French films into this challenge. :P

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I would think that there are enough films that are actually made by French filmmakers, in France, with French casts speaking French that one wouldn't need to look for "loopholes", unless one wants to be able to just watch English-language films that happen to be partly or mostly French-financed or something (i.e. most of Luc Besson's films). I guess I see the spirit of these challenges as important - if you want to do a French challenge, watch goddamn French films, not stuff that is French only because one of the companies involved that ponied up 10% of the dough is headquartered in Paris.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ivan0716
Mar 29 2018, 06:07:35 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific! Where do we draw the line? Any film with a France tag on IMDB? Anything with a significant(whatever constitutes significant) amount of French involvement?

If the French language isn't a requirement then what about films like:
-The Conformist (1970) and Rocco and His Brothers (1960) which are obviously Italian but were partly filmed in France and/or had a French lead.

-The Pianist (2002) which was set/shot in Poland with a mostly English-speaking cast but has won the Cesar award for best film.

-Mustang (2015) which was the nominated as a French film in the Oscars but doesn't seem to be anything French about it besides the director being a French citizen.
I tend to agree that the spirit of the challenge is important - there are plenty of undoubtedly French films out there to watch.

But there's also the game aspect of the challenges, so I understand the need to draw the line somewhere. I tend to be pretty permissive about what counts for challenges - I fall into the "Anything with a significant amount of French involvement" camp. When in doubt, state your case - if you make a reasonable argument about why something should be included, I'll probably accept it.

Based on some quick IMDBing, the only one from your list that really gives me pause is Rocco and His Brothers, but I'm not familiar with it. If you think it should be included, state your case (when you watch it).

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'm not looking for loopholes, I'm just curious about what's eligible and what isn't, last time I was told that Viridiana doesn't count towards the Latin American challenge because the forum has come to the consensus that it's a Spanish film, so I thought it would be nice if this time I could find out beforehand what the criteria are. Not that I would lose sleep if I watched a French co-production and then be told it's not "French enough", I'm not watching films just to compete in these challenges.

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Pas de problème maxwelldeux :thumbsup:

I'm also in.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ivan0716
Mar 29 2018, 06:56:47 PM
I'm not looking for loopholes, I'm just curious about what's eligible and what isn't, last time I was told that Viridiana doesn't count towards the Latin American challenge because the forum has come to the consensus that it's a Spanish film, so I thought it would be nice if this time I could find out beforehand what the criteria are. Not that I would lose sleep if I watched a French co-production and then be told it's not "French enough", I'm not watching films just to compete in these challenges.
Heh. I remember that. Personally, I would have counted it, because while it's definitely a Spanish film, Mexico had a significant contribution to it. But that's just differences in hosts - no one is right or wrong, just different interpretations of how to host.

I tend to be "when in doubt, allow it" as a host. :geek:

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Oui.

jdidaco
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
(Modestly), in! Thanks for hosting, max!

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If anyone is interested, I was working on a list of Every films that has ever won a César. I was hoping to finish it before the end of the month, but I know I won't so I'm releasing it now. I'll keep updating it.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Thanks, clemmetarey.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
clemmetarey
Mar 31 2018, 02:45:31 PM
If anyone is interested, I was working on a list of Every films that has ever won a César. I was hoping to finish it before the end of the month, but I know I won't so I'm releasing it now. I'll keep updating it.

Added to OP. Thanks!

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Moi aussi! A few French titles are still waiting on my watchlist plus I'd like to explore some of those lists in the opening post (by the way, links to "Une histoire du cinéma français" and "TimeOut" are broken) as well as other titles scattered throughout different official lists. And a great excuse to watch Bardot, Binoche, Béart, Seigner, etc.
Edited by sortile9io, Apr 1 2018, 10:46:03 AM.

hurluberlu
Member Avatar
over and above
 *  *  *  * ]
1. Choice of Arms / Le Choix des Armes (Alain Corneau, 1981) 7/10
2. Love at Sea / L'Amour à la Mer (Guy Gilles, 1964) 8-/10
3. Clémence et Ferdinand (Florence Mauro, 2018) 6/10
4. Eaux profondes (Michel Deville, 1981) 7/10

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Mauvais Sang (1986)

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
1. François Truffaut: Stolen Portraits 1993 - 10/10 - https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/film/francois-truffaut-stolen-portraits/ - Question for native French speakers. Marcel Ophuls tells a story about how Max referred to Truffaut as “malfrangué” (translated as scruffy). Not sure I’m spelling it right. Does anyone have an idea what the true meaning of this word is? and/or the spelling?
2. Paris-Willouby/Meet the Guilbys (2015) - 5.5/10 - https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/film/meet-the-guilbys/

Tarris1
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
1. Le dîner de cons (1998) 8/10

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. Alice ou la dernière fugue (1977)

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. La règle du jeu AKA The Rules of the Game (1939)

Very well done film, but I just don't quite fully understand why it's rated as one of the best films of all time. Technically, the film seemed well ahead of its time, but the critique on bourgeois society seemed to be underplayed to me. Definitely saw the influence on later films like Discrete Charm... Probably should go and read the booklet on this.

Mate_cosido
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. Diabolo menthe - Peppermint Soda (1977, Diane Kurys)

2. Tous les garçons et les filles de leur âge...: Portrait d'une jeune fille de la fin des années 60 à Bruxelles (1994, Chantal Akerman)

The last one is set in Brussels and it's by a belgian director, but is french production and is listed as France in IMDb, so you'll be the judge if that counts or not, i don't care either way, the film was :wub:

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Haute Tension (2003)

Posted Image

While incredibly brutal and often intense, I spent the first hour of High Tension wondering where it would ultimately go, only to be pretty bitterly disappointed. The film really falls apart in the third act. I get the intelligence behind what occurs, but it significantly soils the rest of the film, which is a shame since there are some very cool images and memorable shocking imagery early on here.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Depuis qu'Otar est parti / Since Otar left (Fr 03)

French film set mostly in Georgia (ex-SSR) with dialog in French, Russian and Georgian. The main character (played by a nonagenarian) speaks mostly French and they go to Paris in the last act. I've resisted seeing it for a long time (it's been on my queue for ages) and had got it for the Women Directors challenge but didn't get around to it until last night. So glad I finally did.

Simba63
Member Avatar
Hakuna Matata
 *  *  * ]
Ok, I'm modestly in as well:

1. Cet obscur objet du désir (1977) - 6/10
Edited by Simba63, Apr 2 2018, 02:11:46 PM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Depuis qu'Otar est parti / Since Otar left (Fr 03)

Set mostly in Georgia (ex-SSR) with dialog in French, Russian and Georgian. The oldest of 3 generations of women (played by a nonagenarian) speaks mostly French, and the last acct is set in Paris. I've had this on my DVD queue for ages - got it for the Women Directors challenge but RL kept me from watching it until last night. So glad I finally did.

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TimeOut link : https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/timeouts+100+best+french+films/

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Spoiler: click to toggle

3. Back to Burgundy/Ce Qui Nous Lie - 7/10 - https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/film/back-to-burgundy/
4. L’Économie du couple/After Love - 5/10 - https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/film/after-love-2016/

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
clemmetarey
Apr 2 2018, 03:25:20 PM
Got it - Thanks! Link fixed in OP.

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
01. Monsieur Klein (1976) - 6/10

Spoiler: click to toggle

5 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone