Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1948 (Results), 1987 awards (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 25th), South-East Asia (Apr 27th), New official lists (Nominations Apr 29th), 1958 awards (Apr 30th)
Challenges: TSPDT, France, 1970s
Film of the Week: Vale Abraćo
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1F (Apr 25th), Match 1G (May 13th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum's Favourite Movies from South-East Asia: Nominations; Deadline: April 27th
Topic Started: Apr 4 2018, 02:46:44 PM (1,846 Views)
Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
iCM Forum's Favourite Movies from South-East Asia
Posted Image

The deadline is 27th April 2018

• Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Your list may be ranked, unranked, or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
  • In case of coproduction, if you're unsure if a movie is eligible, please post here.

List length and half-life is to be decided later.

Eligible countries

Some help:
Movies you rated on IMDb by these countries sorted descending by your rating:

Brunei
Cambodia
Indonesia
Laos
Malaysia
Myanmar / Burma
Phlippines
Singapore
Thailand
Timor-Leste
Vietnam / North-Vietnam

Participants: 16

Please check if your list is stated and linked correctly. So there won't be any hassle with having to recalculate the results after we have started. Any volunteer who wants to count participants with me?
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Apr 13 2018, 01:44:52 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I will throw this one right in myself: Do we think "The Act of Killing" is eligible? The director isn't South-East Asian and the production countries are UK, Denmark and Norway, but the subject and large part of the crew are Indonesian. I always had the idea the reason it isn't produced in Indonesia is because it couldn't be produced there, not because it isn't an Indonesian movie. Its succesor "The Look Of Silence is partly produced in Indonesia, so that one is a bit easier to decide.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Apr 4 2018, 03:08:07 PM.

RogerTheMovieManiac88
Member Avatar
Gold-digger
 *  *  * ]
Good to see that the unrecognised state of West Papua is included here, albeit as part of Indonesia. It's truly gut-wrenching to countenance the suppression and horror inflicted on the native population by the Indonesians in the decades since the Dutch left.

Hai Tanahku Papua

Edited by RogerTheMovieManiac88, Apr 4 2018, 03:20:35 PM.

Mate_cosido
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I've only seen 36 movies from all those countries, any recomedations?

also, about The Act of Killing, i think we should definetley count it

Smoover
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls023812131

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lonewolf2003
Apr 4 2018, 03:06:32 PM
I will throw this one right in myself: Do we think "The Act of Killing" is eligible? The director isn't South-East Asian and the production countries are UK, Denmark and Norway, but the subject and large part of the crew are Indonesian. I always had the idea the reason it isn't produced in Indonesia is because it couldn't be produced there, not because it isn't an Indonesian movie. Its succesor "The Look Of Silence is partly produced in Indonesia, so that one is a bit easier to decide.
I consider both Danish films, since they were projects initiated by filmmakers in Denmark, and largely funded from there from what I can tell. The subject matter is Indonesian, but then the whole gamut of ethnographic documentaries made by filmmakers from predominantly developed economies made about subjects from predominantly developing economies get called into question.

But, I haven't seen either (yet), and I won't strongly oppose if people really want them to be eligible. I'm simply of the opinion that eligibility should be based on films by and from these countries, not merely about them.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mathiasa
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/mats+south-east+asia+picks/mathiasa/

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/best+of+south-asia/onderhond/

Ranked all the way. I lost sight of Thai cinema, but I used to like a lot of what they were doing.
Bigges question mark: is anyone else going to include Ruined Heart.
Edited by Onderhond, Apr 4 2018, 05:25:28 PM.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Have seen very little from this region. Here is my super short (ranked) list:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls023814975/

flaiky
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Southeast Asia. ;) South Asia is a totally different culture.

I definitely think The Act of Killing should be included. I'd also like The Rocket to be eligible, since it's likely the only opportunity for Laos to get any representation (unless everyone would like to rush to watch the awesome Dearest Sister, anyway!)
Edited by flaiky, Apr 4 2018, 06:25:37 PM.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I wonder if anybody is going to include a Shaw Brothers film... How many of their southeast asian productions are available with english subs these days anyway?

My own list coming up in a little while!

rnilsson19
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls023819966/

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Fergenaprido
Apr 4 2018, 05:10:31 PM
I'm simply of the opinion that eligibility should be based on films by and from these countries, not merely about them.
Without looking into the details of The Act of Killing, I think this is exactly the point.

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
The Act of Killing should definitely count. Funding may have come from other countries but it had significant involvement of Indonesians in production. A lot of them chose to remain anonymous on the credits (inc. co-director).

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls023818369/

1-7 ranked, rest unranked

I've got only one favorite (9/10) from this region, six times 8/10 and seven times 7/10. I think this is the smallest list I ever submitted. I hope we can make a decent top 50 out of the votes.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
flaiky
Apr 4 2018, 06:02:04 PM
Exactly my thoughts. "South-Asia" implies countries like India are part of the poll as well.

I won't be submitting a list. I haven't seen enough films from the region.

mathiasa
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
brokenface
Apr 4 2018, 06:39:57 PM
The Act of Killing should definitely count. Funding may have come from other countries but it had significant involvement of Indonesians in production. A lot of them chose to remain anonymous on the credits (inc. co-director).
ok, convinced.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/south-east+asia+poll+icm/beavis/

40 movies ranked
with two of them mine is the only check... wonder if they'll make it :)

4x apichatpong weerasethakul
4x lav diaz
3x raya martin
and a few other usual suspects
no act of killing or missing picture though
Edited by beavis, Apr 4 2018, 07:50:56 PM.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gershwin
Apr 4 2018, 07:39:28 PM
I won't be submitting a list. I haven't seen enough films from the region.
Ditto, but for a more extreme reason: The Act of Killing is the only qualifying film I've seen, and I didn't particularly care for it. :pinch:

mathiasa
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
South Asia poll would be great too. EDIT: ok, never mind, would basically be an India poll.
Edited by mathiasa, Apr 4 2018, 08:42:04 PM.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
flaiky
Apr 4 2018, 06:02:04 PM

I definitely think The Act of Killing should be included. I'd also like The Rocket to be eligible, since it's likely the only opportunity for Laos to get any representation (unless everyone would like to rush to watch the awesome Dearest Sister, anyway!)
Oops. :blush: :pinch: . Thanks for catching the mistake.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
brokenface
Apr 4 2018, 06:39:57 PM
That was my point too. If it purely was an non-Indonesian production about Indonesisa I wouldn’t have doubted about it being ineligible.

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
you are your faith - lose it and you're not
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls023439222/

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Palau, Guam and NM Islands also belong to this region.

gromit82
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Mario Gaborović
Apr 5 2018, 12:35:28 AM
Palau, Guam and NM Islands also belong to this region.
Geographically, Palau, Guam, and Northern Mariana Islands could qualify as Southeast Asia, but they were all eligible for consideration in the Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania poll that we held just two months ago.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
beavis
Apr 4 2018, 06:14:00 PM
I wonder if anybody is going to include a Shaw Brothers film... How many of their southeast asian productions are available with english subs these days anyway?

A number of them are available here in Malaysia with English subtitles, and a few you can find in the regular places. Mostly P. Ramlee stuff, since he's basically the national cinematic symbol here.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fergenaprido
Apr 5 2018, 03:06:20 AM
beavis
Apr 4 2018, 06:14:00 PM

A number of them are available here in Malaysia with English subtitles, and a few you can find in the regular places. Mostly P. Ramlee stuff, since he's basically the national cinematic symbol here.
Yes that is what i thought
Maybe also some local monster stuff like the oily maniac
Has been a while since i went into that corner... Also a bit dissapointed with my self that i didn't include a flying head movie in my own list, that must be a most specific thing for the region! (At least in Thailand, Cambodja and indonesia)

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
beavis
Apr 5 2018, 05:07:53 AM
Also a bit dissapointed with my self that i didn't include a flying head movie in my own list, that must be a most specific thing for the region! (At least in Thailand, Cambodja and indonesia)
Don't forget the hopping ghosts (though they borrow quite heavily from the Chinese vampires).

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hopping ghosts do feel more Chinese to me, but the region if full of wonderful folklore that gets explored in similar movies throughout the region. Snake and crocodile queens are maybe more common... But those flying heads with guts dangling are just freaky and cool :) i've seen quite a bit of them, but guess if i'm being honest none of them scores above a 7 for me. Because they are made purely for a local audience, they sometimes either go into prolongued soapy sequences or go the very cheap Z-grade horror route...
Edited by beavis, Apr 5 2018, 05:33:11 AM.

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I thought people here loved Hsiao-Hsien Hou, but it seems it is not so looking at these lists.

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hou is from Taiwan?

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I have four 7/10+ :shrug:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/southeast+asia/ivan0716/

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Onderhond
Apr 5 2018, 08:31:06 AM
Hou is from Taiwan?
It doesn't matter whether or not he was born there, the fact is his films have Taiwanese financing, actors and crew, at least according to IMDB.

And basically all of the news articles I've read start off by announcing his Taiwanese background.

And if you go by the records on the internet, he moved to Taiwan when he was 1 year old.

Gorro
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Apr 5 2018, 10:43:01 AM
Onderhond
Apr 5 2018, 08:31:06 AM
Hou is from Taiwan?
It doesn't matter whether or not he was born there, the fact is his films have Taiwanese financing, actors and crew, at least according to IMDB.

And basically all of the news articles I've read start off by announcing his Taiwanese background.

And if you go by the records on the internet, he moved to Taiwan when he was 1 year old.
True, but Taiwan is not included in the eligible countries.

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Maybe I'm missing something, but Taiwan isn't eligible for this game, right? Which was the point I was trying to make :)

Melvelet
Member Avatar
Ą la recherche du temps perdu...
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls023860061/
Top 8 ranked
Won't be at home for most of April but I hope to see Cemetery of Splendour and those new Filipino BD releases of Insiang and Manila
Edited by Melvelet, Apr 5 2018, 11:32:25 AM.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Onderhond
Apr 5 2018, 05:23:44 AM
beavis
Apr 5 2018, 05:07:53 AM
Also a bit dissapointed with my self that i didn't include a flying head movie in my own list, that must be a most specific thing for the region! (At least in Thailand, Cambodja and indonesia)
Don't forget the hopping ghosts (though they borrow quite heavily from the Chinese vampires).
Sounds like something I'd want to find out about. Do you guys have any recommendations where to start?

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sumpah (Ini) Pocong! was a good one. The Buppah Rahtree series also has them I believe.
These are all horror/comedies though, so maybe they're more of a parody on the Chinese vampires.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Onderhond
Apr 5 2018, 12:12:28 PM
Sumpah (Ini) Pocong! was a good one. The Buppah Rahtree series also has them I believe.
These are all horror/comedies though, so maybe they're more of a parody on the Chinese vampires.
And what exactly are the Chinese vampires?
New worlds are opening up here. ^_^

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Sorry about that, my bad.

3 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Our lists and projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone