Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1948 (Results), 1987 awards (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 25th), South-East Asia (Apr 27th), New official lists (Nominations Apr 29th), 1958 awards (Apr 30th)
Challenges: TSPDT, France, 1970s
Film of the Week: Vale Abraão
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1F (Apr 25th), Match 1G (May 13th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Films streaming on MUBI; For sharing recommendations and asking advice
Topic Started: Apr 15 2018, 08:00:39 PM (288 Views)
Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm sure I'm not the only one who regularly uses MUBI for streaming films. I really like how they delve into the obscure, because sometimes they put real gems in the spotlight. But it's a bit hit-and miss for me, sometimes they don't resonate with me at all.

So I thought it might be appropriate to have a separate topic to discuss the films streaming at MUBI, for sharing recommendations and warning each other for the duds.

MUBI is streaming different films in different countries, and all films are streaming for only 30 days.
So please also tell in which country you saw a film, and how many days are left to watch it.

--

I'll start with a warm recommendation: I just watched the Belgian documentary Battles (iCM link. An instant favourite, and just my cup of tea: a documentary in the slow cinema vein, with not much spoken word, very observing and somewhat distant, where you often feel the director just being silently amused about everything that's happening. I think the MUBI synopsis is quite accurate:

MUBI

Synopsis
The echoes of war also reverberate in peacetime. Battles takes a patient look, sensitive to tragedy and comedy, at the traces of battle in the landscape: A bunker in Albania, exploded ammo in Belgium, Russian women sew inflatable war material, and a Latvian military camp tourist attraction.

Especially the Russian segment is very insightful and amusing at the same time. The Belgian segment, which starts the film, is slow cinema at its best. The Albanian part somewhat reminded me of Le quattro volte.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I never looked too much into Mubi, I always thought it was another streaming site where you can make list. I just checked out the films streaming this month and their selection looks great, with most of the film/directors I've never heard of. I'm tempted to get the free trial now.

Would you mind sharing your overall experience with Mubi Gershwin (or anyone else that uses it) ?

Oh and I added Battles to my watchlist, you had me at '' reminded me of Le quattro volte''

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Well, I think their selection is quite good, but I'd prefer it if they would have some more classics/films that are on official top lists. That's about 30% or something like that, with 70% obscure films, and I'd rather have it the other way round. Then again the greatest films I've discovered there were unofficial films with less than 20 checks, so the official status isn't as predictive as you'd expect.

I think it all depends on your taste. You shouldn't go for MUBI because you want to finish TSPDT, for instance, because they don't offer that much classic films (I guess they're too expensive as well). But if you're more into slow cinema, obscure arthouse and world cinema, it's really nice to have MUBI. It does offer a nice addition to legal streaming, with Netflix being extremely mainstream. And for instance they had a Pialat retrospective last year which was really awesome: I binged on 7 Pialat films in a 4 week period.

So yeah, maybe you should try the free month at least. :)

Oh, and the streaming quality is fine with me, but I don't have any really big screens - my biggest screen is 26 inch. So I don't know whether it would still look fine at a 42 inch screen.
Subtitles are always decent, and they offer English subtitles for almost every film. Sometimes they also have Dutch subs. I can imagine the French MUBI having many French subs as well, but they don't offer these in Holland.

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think I would use it mostly to discover films I would have never heard of otherwise. 30% of official films is fine with me, because films in official lists are already more or less on my radar. The films in TSPDT for example are quite easy to find online, or to catch in theaters or TV so I wouldn't get a subscription just for those. But Mubi seems to offer films that wouldn't be easy to find elsewhere.

I rarely use something else than my computer screen to watch films, so I think the quality will be just fine. I don't really need subs if the film's in english, but it seems they have french subs for all the films anyway.

Thanks!

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I was an early user of MUBI (user #1301) and it used to be more of a social site to interact. Now it's basically impossible to talk with film users there.

But I got a year subscription (about 11 months ago), and sometimes they stream official checks that are hard to come by. They also stream public domain films, along with a ton of films I've already seen. But some of their choices are obscure enough that I won't have seen it. The choices range from really good to WTF.

Anyway, I have a few to watch before they expire. It'd definitely be worth trying for the trial period to see if you like it.

hurluberlu
Member Avatar
over and above
 *  *  *  * ]
I used Mubi a lot 6-8 years ago when their whole catalogue (thousands of films) was in open access for a small fee. When Netflix arrived in Europe, Mubi changed their model with an access to only 30 rotating films and I unsuscribed as the selection looked too mainstream too often.
I gave it another chance last year ; their picks look more balanced but it is still very hit and miss. Half of the time it will be something I have already seen or really mediocre. I like the feature that allows you to download the film on your mobile or laptop, makes it easy to watch while traveling. Also if you shift country, you will have access to a different selection so you can see that as a plus if you travel a lot. As long as it costs ~4 euros a months I'll stay in I guess.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

toromash
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
The UK version of MUBI has: "As I was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty" by Mekas. It is there for 16 more days, and i will (of course) watch it throughout this week

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
toromash
Apr 16 2018, 11:56:42 PM
The UK version of MUBI has: "As I was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty" by Mekas. It is there for 16 more days, and i will (of course) watch it throughout this week
I wish it were on the Dutch version as well. We have Lost, Lost, Lost streaming, but I've already seen that one. Great film though, so maybe I'll rewatch it.

toromash
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
You can use VPN like me, but that is a choice. The selection in Denmark is filled with too many newer movies, so that why i use it.

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
I've done the odd free month and check up what's on the menu from time to time. They do well on exploring and picking out stuff I've never heard of. But while I guess the 30 per month format is quite a good way to encourage exploration, that also partly puts me off subscribing because I have a huge, endless watchlist anyway and some months there wouldn't be much on here that I'm interested in and haven't seen already - I tend to get the impression (maybe mistaken?) that their tastes lean towards lesser-known current directors in the slow/contemplative style (Bela Tarr, Apichatpong types), which is not particularly my cup of tea.

I was just about to bemoan the lack of an equivalent to Filmstruck in UK, but then googled it and found they've recently launched it here. Although so far it seems a fairly limited catalogue with nowhere near as much of the Criterion collection as the US version. Someone's handily put a list up on letterboxd:
https://letterboxd.com/michaelhutchins/list/filmstruck-uk/

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just signed up. Not sure which country's list I see (I'm in Malaysia), but Battles is in the list. Looks like mostly obscure stuff I've never heard before, with a few exceptions. Of the 30 films there, Théo & Hugo is the only one I would have watched otherwise. I suppose as long as I watch 1 or 2 films from Mubi each month, it's worth the price.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I use Mubi pretty often, mostly to watch movies on it that already were on my radar, are from favorite directors or on lists I'm working on. I don't honestly use it very much to discover completely unknown obscure movies, simply because my backlog is already full enough. Using a VPN, which I somehow didn't think of myself before, opens up a lot of new possibilities. Does anyone know their policy about using one and how strict they are in enforcing those rules and controlling the use of it.

At the moment I'm most excited about all the Sirk movies coming up, which I haven't all seen yet.
I recently watched Canyon Passage which I thought to be a very decent to good Western.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Yesterday I finished Timbuktu (2014) (still 5 days left, on Dutch MUBI).
A very impressive film with beautiful cinematography. It's sometimes hard to bear, so at a certain point I was hoping it would end soon, but a great film overall. That's one of those instances where I'm glad I didn't download it, but just waited till I got a chance to watch it legally.

re: using a VPN: I don't use that exactly because I try to legalize my watching habits, and, even more so, make sure the people who deserve it get some money. I don't think using a VPN is very helpful. Then I might as well download the films. :)

Mothravka
Member Avatar
 * ]
I canceled my subscription a few months ago because the PS4 app just kept loading around every minute on all movies, which was annoying. Might get on board again in the future if they fix that, because they stream some good stuff now and then.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Film Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone