Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1983 (Results), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Du cŰtť d'OrouŽt
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Westworld
Topic Started: Apr 22 2018, 12:37:38 AM (387 Views)
outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Tomorrow night the almost two-year wait ends and I'm sure we'll have new mysteries and more theories to discuss and debate.

If you're kind of wandering in here out of curiosity then you best catch up on Season 1 of one of the greatest blockbuster mysteries ever before something big gets spoiled for you. But if you need extra convincing, think Memento-style head trip meets philosophical sci-fi meets the production values, amazing acting and music of Game of Thrones. The first season has only 10 episodes. Now turn back from this thread before you can say, "Doesn't look like anything to me."

On a similar note, if you've seen the Season 2 trailers (as I have) best discuss them under spoiler tags as some viewers prefer to go in blind.

Before the season starts, what are you most anticipating? What unanswered questions do you still have? And which are your favorite characters?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Havenít seen trailers and know nothing about season 2, but I loved season 1. I watched it during the worst part of my depression and I related to it pretty deeply but it was also just a really great, well paced show. So yea looking forward to moar. Have no specific favorites or questions, just want more.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Have you also seen Nolan's other show, Person of Interest? That's definitely in my top 5 TV series of all time. Definitely makes me more confident Joy + Nolan will only continue to make the show more interesting and come up with a great finale down the line. PoI had a fantastic series finale, rare for a network show...scratch that, just rare period.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
outdoorcats
Apr 22 2018, 03:50:49 AM
Have you also seen Nolan's other show, Person of Interest? That's definitely in my top 5 TV series of all time. Definitely makes me more confident Joy + Nolan will only continue to make the show more interesting and come up with a great finale down the line. PoI had a fantastic series finale, rare for a network show...scratch that, just rare period.
I watched the first episode (maybe the second?) when it first came out because I was into Michael Emerson, but I couldn't really get into it. After I graduate I plan to go TV and film binging so maybe I can chuck that on my watchlist to give another go.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know next to nothing about the series, save for a season 2 promo I saw today before a documentary I watched (Andre the Giant). I'm actually planning on giving this one a go next month during the Western challenge.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh wow, I didn't even realize it was coming out so soon. I thought we were still months away. I was blown away by season 1. It didn't really thread new ground with its philosophical approach, but it did do it differently, and as a mystery thriller, it kept surprising me and leaving my jaw open. It's definitely one of the best single seasons I've ever seen. I'm not sure how it can be topped, season 1 would've worked great as its standalone mini series.

That being said, I'm keeping an open mind and looking forward to it.

Favorite character? Tough question, I guess Ed Harris' Man in Black, but that's probably because I really like Ed Harris as an actor.

Unanswered questions? I don't remember having any, I thought it was all very tightly packed.

Most anticipating? To see where Thandie Newton's character goes from here.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Some unanswered questions I had from season one, which may or may not be answered were -

-What year is it?
-Who were (and when were) the bodies in the service hallway under the church Dolores saw in Episode 9? Perhaps we're just supposed to assume they were more hosts from Arnold's purge, but what were so many hosts doing dressed in lab equipment before the park even opened?
-What is Delos' end game for smuggling data out of the park? (Super-soldiers? Using hosts for corporate or international espionage? Uploading consciousness and selling immortality to the highest bidder?)
-What was Maeve's original directive, had she left the park as planned?
-What does the outside world look like? Where is Westworld?
-How many worlds are there? Is Shogun World an operating park or just something in development?

Some of these might just be me obsessing over little things but others are definitely meant to be unanswered questions; for example, the whole Delos mystery they've been teasing us with since the first episode with the conversation between Theresa and Simon on the balcony.

My own favorite character is definitely Arnold, an amazingly brilliant and tragic character and a fantastic performance by you-know-who (where was his Emmy?).
Edited by outdoorcats, Apr 22 2018, 04:45:27 PM.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Spoiler: click to toggle

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
I'd pay to visit Shogun World, hehe.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
About that premiere...

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Iíve convinced my bf to rewatch the first season with me. Weíre up to episode 4 and heís enjoying it so far. I still really love it, though had forgotten Jimmi Simpsonís character had a triggery name so I ended up crying myself to sleep last night urge but anyway. I think I may do my big essay next semester on Westworld and trauma instead of the horror thing because this still resonates deeply with my PTSD and whatnot.

Was worried I may dislike it on a third rewatch (not much stuff is still good), but what Iíve learnt at uni in between is showing up all the time so things are making even more sense and Iím like yea man.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
mightysparks have you gotten to the first few episodes of the new season? I can't wait to talk about the third episode with someone, but I'm not sure if anyone else here is caught up yet?

mightysparks
Member Avatar
outdoorcats
May 7 2018, 11:22:44 PM
mightysparks have you gotten to the first few episodes of the new season? I can't wait to talk about the third episode with someone, but I'm not sure if anyone else here is caught up yet?
Yea I watched the 3rd episode last night

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have also seen the third episode of the second season, but to be honest I would not be great for conversations about it because I am almost completely lost. I don't watch it alone so I can't hit the pause button every 5 minutes to let my silly theories sink in for me to be ready to watch what is happening all the time.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I think that

@mightysparks That's how I felt about the premiere but the

Edited by outdoorcats, May 8 2018, 03:33:41 AM.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
outdoorcats
May 8 2018, 03:28:47 AM
I think that

@mightysparks That's how I felt about the premiere but the

I suppose but

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Anyone pumped for Samuraiworld?

My thoughts on your conversation: I'm pretty sure that Bernard extracted the file from Abernathy, but I thought that he downloaded to his tablet thing, not into himself, so I'm with outdoorcats that he's still suffering from the prior wound which lead to that liquid leaking out of his head.

I like the season 2 so far, it's still very enigmatic, which I didn't really expect. I'm hoping for a new major character to emerge this season.

Btw, that rendition of Seven Nation Army at the beginning was amazing.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Oh yeah, it took me a minute to place it too, even though I used to love that song.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
outdoorcats
May 11 2018, 01:19:26 AM
Oh yeah, it took me a minute to place it too, even though I used to love that song.

I thought the woman

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
She does bear an uncanny resemblance...I don't know if that twist could work though? But then again this is Westworld, so I wouldn't be too shocked to have my socks blown off the second time (fool me once and all that).

Tonight: Shogun World! [I'm assuming based on that cliffhanger]

edit - OK, maybe
, but tonight's episode gets all the awards.

I'll have more thoughts in coming days, all I can say for now before going to bed is what a virtuoso performance from Lisa Joy as a director. Just fantastic.
Edited by outdoorcats, May 14 2018, 02:27:13 AM.

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
Nur dein AugeĖungeheuer / Blickt mich's an, Unendlichkeit!
I decided to give this a try, so if I like it enough, I should be able to start discussing it with you guys before the next episode airs.

Edit: Nevermind, I saw the first episode and realised I don't have time for this.
Edited by Carmel1379, May 17 2018, 01:55:38 AM.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
That was indeed an amazing episode, brilliant directing and acting. Far less confused now! (at least, until the next episode airs...)

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just a quick appreciation for all y'all using spoiler tags in this thread - I'm still in Season 1, but digging the show. :thumbsup:

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get to see Samurai world in the latest episode, but on the flip side, that episode was a fucking masterpiece.

How many hosts do you think have free will as of this episode? There is a chance that we're being set up for a twist and that some that seem to be self-conscious could in fact be someone's puppets.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Well I've been seeing and hearing a lot of theories that

Did you all notice the Twin Peaks-like music when
first entered the cave? Great homage.
Edited by outdoorcats, May 20 2018, 09:45:16 PM.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Man, Djawadi is amazing. I'm not sure which song (versions of songs) I liked more, Paint it Black or C.R.E.A.M.

Cool episode. Finally, Shogun world.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I didn't have much to write this time; a very entertaining episode but easily my least favorite of the bunch (not in a bad way, just not as good as the others). I think revealing early that
definitely killed the suspense of some scenes.

I also need more of the
tag team; I hope we get to see more of them soon (or at least more Bernard).

Edited by outdoorcats, May 25 2018, 01:32:53 AM.

outdoorcats
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
:o :o :o

Edited by outdoorcats, 57 minutes ago.

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Members: outdoorcats
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Music, games, books, TV and other arts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone