Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1983 (Results), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Du côté d'Orouët
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Italian Challenge; Official; May 2018
Topic Started: Apr 29 2018, 02:24:43 AM (3,632 Views)
sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

[Pictured: Elio Petri's masterpiece, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion]

Italy Challenge
Goal
Watch as many Italian movies as you can from May 1, 2018 to May 31, 2018.

What is an Italian Film?
- Any film listed with Italy as first country of production on IMDb automatically qualifies
- Any film shot entirely on location in Italy automatically qualifies
- Any film listed in one of the Official lists below automatically qualifies
- Any other film that you genuinely believe to be an Italian Movie qualifies. You should be prepared to back up your reasoning though! There needs to be a sensible reason for you to classify a film as Italian. You are not allowed to include The Italian Job because "there is the word Italian in the title", etc. :folded:

Rules
- Each feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of TV episodes counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of music videos counts as one entry.
- The usual miniseries rule applies (ask if unsure).
- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.

I reserve the right to exclude participants who intentionally number their viewings incorrectly. If you play the game, you're expected to play properly.

DEADLINE
Final results will be posted between 7:30am and 8:00am GMT on June 2 - at which point it will have been May everywhere in the world for almost a whole day. While you are welcome to post updates beyond this point, any such updates will not be included in the final results. Your choice whether you miss the deadline or not; besides, if it's June on your side of the world, shouldn't you be starting on one of next month's challenges, mm?

Stuck for ideas of what to watch? Look no further:

Official Lists
Il Grande Cinema Italiano
One hundred film and one country, Italy
UNESCO / entries for Italy: 391-405
SWDB's Top 50 Spaghetti Westerns

Non-Official Lists
Italian Neo-Realism
Italian Gothic Movies
Italian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
'I Capolavori' - The 4 and 5 star Italian classics, according to the Morandini dictionary
Jean A. Gili's Italian Cinema

Films Streaming Online
For the small percentage of users who reside in the US

This thread will be updated at least twice a day (more often if I am around and feel like it). Since I am updating manually, I would appreciated it if you to list new films seen in a new post. If you would prefer just to endlessly edit your original post, please let me know so that I remember to check your post.

Participants
RankParticipant# of Watches
1 72allinncallme 86
2 psychotronicbeatnik 73
3 Nopros 58
4 jdidaco 48
5 Simba63 45
6 Eve-Lang-El-Coup 36
7 sortile9io 30
8 sol 22
9 3eyes 14
10 hurluberlu 11
10 India Istanbul 11
12 allisoncm 10
12 Mate_cosido 10
14 cinephage 9
14 frbrown 9
14 morrison-dylan-fan 9
17 peeptoad 8
17 vortexsurfer 8
19 maxwelldeux 7
20 Knaldskalle 6
20 RogerTheMovieManiac88 6
22 jvv 5
23 ororama 4
24 jeroeno 3
24 OldAle1 3
26 Hippiemans 2
26 Lilarcor 2
26 Lonewolf2003 2
26 weirdboy 2
30 blocho 1
30 Melvelet 1
Edited by sol, Yesterday, 1:31 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

weirdboy
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have a couple on my watchlist from the 500< 400 list for next month. I haven't decided how many I'll try to watch beyond that just yet.

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'll be watching a lot. The aim is to get close or into the top 100 of both main lists in addition to eating spaghetti.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just to be clear, to qualify, Italy must the the primary contributor, and not merely a significant contributor, correct?

For the sake of consistency, let's apply the Viridiana (1961) test: For the Latin American challenge, I argued that Viridiana should be included, because Mexico had an important role in the film getting made (i.e., "significant contributor"). Ultimately, it was decided that because Spain was the main country (i.e., "primary contributor"), Viridiana would not be eligible.

I tend to judge country challenges on the "significant contributor" doctrine, and others go with the "primary contributor" doctrine. Both are fine (IMHO), but I want to be clear about how you're judging the challenge to avoid any confusion.

[This is probably something we should decide on collectively to avoid future confusion...]

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In, mostly for a silver on the "One hundred films and one country, Italy" list and a few guilty pleasures (not that a feel any guilt anyway).

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sono con te! Will’a try to achieve bronze on the two country lists.

One hundred film and one country, Italy 28/110 +27 (rank: 491)

Il Grande Cinema Italiano 51/250 +74 (rank: 680)
Edited by 72allinncallme, Apr 29 2018, 08:53:13 AM.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Apr 29 2018, 05:47:10 AM
Just to be clear, to qualify, Italy must the the primary contributor, and not merely a significant contributor, correct?

For the sake of consistency, let's apply the Viridiana (1961) test: For the Latin American challenge, I argued that Viridiana should be included, because Mexico had an important role in the film getting made (i.e., "significant contributor"). Ultimately, it was decided that because Spain was the main country (i.e., "primary contributor"), Viridiana would not be eligible.

I tend to judge country challenges on the "significant contributor" doctrine, and others go with the "primary contributor" doctrine. Both are fine (IMHO), but I want to be clear about how you're judging the challenge to avoid any confusion.

[This is probably something we should decide on collectively to avoid future confusion...]
Not correct.

Let's look at what I wrote in the OP:
Quote:

What is an Italian Film?
- Any film listed with Italy as first country of production on IMDb automatically qualifies
- Any other film that you genuinely believe to be an Italian Movie qualifies. You should be prepared to back up your reasoning though! There needs to be a sensible reason for you to classify a film as Italian.
As far as I am concerned, any co-production that meets the above guidelines is eligible for the Challenge.

Personally speaking, I don't see what the issue is with co-productions being eligible for more than one Challenge. There is the same issue with genres. Are you going to stop someone watching Shaun of the Dead for the Comedy Challenge because you think it is more horror than comedy - or vice versa?

In any case, I don't have enough time to run through every film that gets mentioned on this thread and police it. Sure, if someone submits something obviously wrong (like The Wizard Oz), I will chime in. Same for genuine easy-to-make mistakes (e.g. Amer is a giallo homage but not Italian). But I'm not about to go looking up the IMDb details for every film included here. Of course, if you - or somebody else - wants to do that, that's perfectly fine with me.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sol
Apr 29 2018, 02:24:43 AM
But this can conflict with the primary contributor rule ("Italy must the the primary contributor"), take for instance William Wyler's "Roman holiday".

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sortile9io
Apr 29 2018, 09:42:16 AM
sol
But this can conflict with the primary contributor rule ("Italy must the the primary contributor"), take for instance William Wyler's "Roman holiday".
What primary contributor rule? I never said that there was a primary contributor rule. That was Max.

For what it's worth, these are the exact same rules that I used last year when I hosted the India and Japan Challenges and everybody was happy with these rules then. :shrug:

peeptoad
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
sol

- Rewatches are allowed and are good for the soul.

...like my grandma's gravy recipe. :thumbsup:

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sol
Apr 29 2018, 09:52:14 AM
sortile9io
Apr 29 2018, 09:42:16 AM
sol
What primary contributor rule? I never said that there was a primary contributor rule. That was Max.

For what it's worth, these are the exact same rules that I used last year when I hosted the India and Japan Challenges and everybody was happy with these rules then. :shrug:
Sorry, I misread that part. So, just to be sure, it qualifies even though it is not an Italian coproduction, right?

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sol
Apr 29 2018, 08:38:02 AM
maxwelldeux
Apr 29 2018, 05:47:10 AM

Not correct.

Let's look at what I wrote in the OP:
Quote:

What is an Italian Film?
- Any other film that you genuinely believe to be an Italian Movie qualifies. You should be prepared to back up your reasoning though! There needs to be a sensible reason for you to classify a film as Italian.
As far as I am concerned, any co-production that meets the above guidelines is eligible for the Challenge.

Personally speaking, I don't see what the issue is with co-productions being eligible for more than one Challenge. There is the same issue with genres. Are you going to stop someone watching Shaun of the Dead for the Comedy Challenge because you think it is more horror than comedy - or vice versa?

In any case, I don't have enough time to run through every film that gets mentioned on this thread and police it. Sure, if someone submits something obviously wrong (like The Wizard Oz), I will chime in. Same for genuine easy-to-make mistakes (e.g. Amer is a giallo homage but not Italian). But I'm not about to go looking up the IMDb details for every film included here. Of course, if you - or somebody else - wants to do that, that's perfectly fine with me.
OK. So let's apply the Blow-Up (1966) test:

1. UK is listed first on IMDB, so Blow-Up wouldn't qualify under this criteria
2. It was shot in the UK, so Blow-Up wouldn't qualify under this criteria
3. It's not on any of the official Italian lists, so Blow-Up wouldn't qualify under this criteria
4. This is where my question lies - I'm prepared to back up my reasoning as to why Italy had a significant contribution to the film (e.g., Italian co-producers, Italian director), though I would never argue that it's an Italian film.

So, if would Blow-Up qualify? I'm perfectly fine with whatever decision, I just want to better understand this...

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
I'm in. I have a feeling I'll be watching (and rewatching?) a bunch of gialli and Spaghetti Westerns.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sortile9io
Apr 29 2018, 05:30:36 PM
Sorry, I misread that part. So, just to be sure, it qualifies even though it is not an Italian coproduction, right?
Yes... if you really wanted to include it. :shrug:

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Apr 29 2018, 07:01:31 PM
OK. So let's apply the Blow-Up (1966) test:

1. UK is listed first on IMDB, so Blow-Up wouldn't qualify under this criteria
2. It was shot in the UK, so Blow-Up wouldn't qualify under this criteria
3. It's not on any of the official Italian lists, so Blow-Up wouldn't qualify under this criteria
4. This is where my question lies - I'm prepared to back up my reasoning as to why Italy had a significant contribution to the film (e.g., Italian co-producers, Italian director), though I would never argue that it's an Italian film.

So, if would Blow-Up qualify? I'm perfectly fine with whatever decision, I just want to better understand this...
As per the Low IMDb Rating Challenge -- where I set the limit as 5.4 but told participants that they could be stricter on themselves if they wanted -- I would always prefer to have more leniency and openness to encourage more participation. I don't know it is quite 'in the right spirit' of the Challenge if one spends the whole month watching borderline Italian movies like Roman Holiday and Blowup, however, it is an Italy Challenge, and the Wyler film does show off the country in all its glory and if you're prepared to back up the Italian element of Blowup, I'm not going to stop you.

You do need to prepared though, because (as mentioned), I will challenge something like The Wizard of Oz that obviously doesn't qualify, and others might challenge you too. I don't know. Play the Challenge how you want. We're all adults here and it is up to you to live with your decisions.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sol
Apr 29 2018, 10:57:04 PM
As per the Low IMDb Rating Challenge -- where I set the limit as 5.4 but told participants that they could be stricter on themselves if they wanted -- I would always prefer to have more leniency and openness to encourage more participation. I don't know it is quite 'in the right spirit' of the Challenge if one spends the whole month watching borderline Italian movies like Roman Holiday and Blowup, however, it is an Italy Challenge, and the Wyler film does show off the country in all its glory and if you're prepared to back up the Italian element of Blowup, I'm not going to stop you.

You do need to prepared though, because (as mentioned), I will challenge something like The Wizard of Oz that obviously doesn't qualify, and others might challenge you too. I don't know. Play the Challenge how you want. We're all adults here and it is up to you to live with your decisions.
OK cool - this helps a lot! Thank you! :thumbsup:

I'm really not trying to push the limits of what qualifies; I have plenty of Fellini et al. to watch that's clearly Italian. I think you and I tend to judge these things similarly now that I see where you're coming from.

jdidaco
No Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
In. Thanks for hosting, sol!

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here are links to Italian films streaming on common platforms (US data):

Filmstruck: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchnow=film_struck&genres=western
Netflix: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchnow=netflix&countries=it
Amazon Prime: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchnow=amazon_prime&countries=it
Hulu: https://trakt.tv/search/movies/?watchnow=hulu_plus&countries=it

Eve-Lang-El-Coup
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'll start things off by being Divorce[d], Italian Style. (1961)
It turns out that divorce is much better than marriage, at least when it comes to the Italians.

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Night Train Murders (1975)

Posted Image

I'm weary of revealing too much and possibly ruining a fresh experience of this nifty Italian thriller (and it is best not to view the iCM page either) but suffice it to say that when a film opens with its antagonists assaulting a man in a Santa's Claus outfit in broad daylight, you know that you are in for a grisly and decidedly offbeat affair -- and not your average bit of Xmas cheer.

India Istanbul
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
1. Conquest dir. by Lucio Fulci

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I like to try and fit my 2018 film goals into the challenges each month, and I often find myself asking stupid questions... like "Any Italian movies on the 100 Korean Films" list?

No. Just... no.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In, hoping for 5 (busy month). I haven't seen a single giallo in my life, where is a good place to start?

peeptoad
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Lilarcor
May 1 2018, 04:22:11 PM
In, hoping for 5 (busy month). I haven't seen a single giallo in my life, where is a good place to start?
IMHO any of these would suffice:

Blood & Black Lace (1964)- Bava and arguably the "first" giallo, at least in the traditional vein.
The Fifth Cord (1971)
The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh (1971)
What Have You Done to Solange? (1972)
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)
Torso (1973)
Deep Red (1975)
Tenebrae (1982)

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'm in. I have some spaghetti westerns to catch up on.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto (1970) (l)
2. Riso amaro (1949)
3. Accattone (1961)
4. La ragazza con la valigia (1961)
5. Cronaca di un amore (1950)

I love Italy :wub:

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Sciuscià (1946)
2. I pugni in tasca (1965)
3. I vitelloni (1953)
4. Il grido (1957)
5. Miracolo a Milano (1951)
6. Stromboli (1950)

All great movies. I've been missing out, Italy.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
For anyone going for all three challenges this month, just focus on spaghetti westerns.

jdidaco
No Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
1. Spartaco (Sins of Rome, Story of Spartacus, Riccardo Freda, 1953) 9/10
2. Il figlio di Spartacus (The Slave: The Son of Spartacus, Sergio Corbucci, 1962) 8/10
3. Minnesota Clay (Sergio Corbucci, 1964) 7/10
4. La morte non conta I dollari (Death at Owell Rock, Riccardo Freda, 1967) 7/10

Posted ImagePosted Image
Edited by jdidaco, May 1 2018, 10:37:56 PM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Quién sabe? / A bullet for the general (67) [Triple]

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. La Strada (1954)

Hi, and welcome to Human Trafficking 101. Today's unit will be taught by Professor Fellini, and will focus on labor trafficking... I thought it pretty great - you can see all the elements of despair that would land a person in a trafficking situation like this, and the sorts of mental tricks done to keep someone in the life. I thought it was great exposition of that weird love/hate/dependency you see in relationships like this, and had a good moral element to it. Quite enjoyable, though heavy and sad.

weirdboy
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, right I suppose this movie counts here, too.

1. Milano calibro 9 (Caliber 9) - 1972 - Fernando Di Leo 7/10

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
peeptoad
May 1 2018, 06:20:57 PM
Lilarcor
May 1 2018, 04:22:11 PM
IMHO any of these would suffice:

Blood & Black Lace (1964)- Bava and arguably the "first" giallo, at least in the traditional vein.
The Fifth Cord (1971)
The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh (1971)
What Have You Done to Solange? (1972)
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)
Torso (1973)
Deep Red (1975)
Tenebrae (1982)

Thanks!

peeptoad
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
*rewatch

1. Cannibal Ferox (1981) 7*

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
01. La casa sperduta nel parco, by Ruggero Deodato (1980) 7/10

A gritty exploitation film, quite sadistic...

02. Roma, by Federico Fellini (1972) 5/10

I guess this is a very good film, but I can't really get into Fellini's capharnaum... Too loud, too confuse, too unfocussed...

sol
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Italian Job

2. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974)

Posted Image

A zombie movie with a difference, this Italian offering taps into fears of radiation and environmental concerns as an experimental new form of pesticide (see above) that aggravates insects causes the undead to rise from their graves. Oddball touches include a doctor who wants the male protagonist to donate his body to science and babies born with zombie-like tendencies. The reliable Arthur Kennedy is also on hand as a grumpy cop.

Simba63
Member Avatar
Hakuna Matata
 *  *  * ]
1. Il pistolero dell'Ave Maria (1969) - 6/10
2. Une corde... un Colt... (1969) - 6/10
3. Il grande silenzio (1968) - 8/10
4. Prega il morto e ammazza il vivo (1971) - 6/10

frbrown
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. Top Model (1988)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone