Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1983 (Results), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Du côté d'Orouët
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum's Favourite French Films (2018 edition); Nominations; Deadline: 30 May 2018
Topic Started: May 5 2018, 01:09:51 PM (2,637 Views)
Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
iCM Forum's Favourite French Movies
Nominations

Posted Image
Vive la France! Vive le cinéma!! Vive le cinéma français!!!
For the third time we are going to chose our favorite movies from France. Previous editions were in 2012 and 2015.

The deadline is 30th May 2018

• Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Your list may be ranked, unranked, or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
  • In case of coproduction, if you're unsure if a movie is eligible, please post here.

Because we used these the last times. List length will be 250 and half-life will be 50. Unless there are good reasons to deviate from that.

Some help:
Movies you rated on IMDb from France sorted descending by your rating
Movies you rated on IMDb from France not on a list. Replace XXX with the list id (useful to see which movies aren't in your Favorite French movies list yet)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Previous editions:
Nominations: 2012, 2015
Results: 2012, 2015

Participants: 29

Please check if your list is stated and linked correctly. So there won't be any hassle with having to recalculate the results after we have started. Any volunteer who wants to count participants with me?

Edited by Lonewolf2003, May 17 2018, 01:26:21 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rnilsson19
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/reveries+et+plaisirs+caches/rnilsson19/
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
Nur dein Auge–ungeheuer / Blickt mich's an, Unendlichkeit!
Être, Avoir, Aller, Pouvoir, Vouloir, Faire, ... La Part maudite

'Call Me By Your Name' is somewhere in there - is it eligible?

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026677442 (unranked)

Tarris1
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026673697/ ranked

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think your list is still in private Tarris1. I can help keeping track if you want Lonewolf

Perception de Ambiguity
Member Avatar
you are your faith - lose it and you're not
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls074021859/

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Carmel1379
May 5 2018, 01:27:16 PM

I don't think it should be. Some money may have been from France, but I see it as an Italian production.

There are a lot of other films I would question in that list as well, but I'd say it's up to the host to decide eligibility.

Emporte-moi - Canadian/Swiss (with some French money perhaps)
Battle of Algiers - Italian/Algerian (France isn't even listed as one of the countries on imdb)

Most of the Xavier Dolan films are purely Canadian (no French input) - J'ai tue ma mere, Mommy, & Heartbeats list Canada solely. Tom at the Farm, Laurence Anyways, and Indochine: College Boy appear to have some French funding, but they're definitely Canadian only. (Juste la fin du monde is a joint production, and was nominated for multiple Cesars, so I would say it should be eligible, though I personally consider it a Canadian film).

L'homme qui plantait des arbres - purely Canadian film by Frederic Back (France not even listed)

I've always thought the Dardenne Brothers films to be Belgian, not French (despite apparent French funding): L'enfant, La promesse, Le gamin au velo, Le fils, Rosetta, Deux jours une nuit, Le silence de Lorna

The Dreamers is one I would question (but not strongly)

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you for doing this Lonewolf. :)

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/viva+la+france+icm+poll+2018/72allinncallme/

Probably missed some, will try to spend some more time on this later on, but as of now: First thirteen ranked, ‘cause I’m lazy.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fergenaprido
May 5 2018, 04:00:08 PM
Carmel1379
May 5 2018, 01:27:16 PM

I don't think it should be. Some money may have been from France, but I see it as an Italian production.

There are a lot of other films I would question in that list as well, but I'd say it's up to the host to decide eligibility.

Emporte-moi - Canadian/Swiss (with some French money perhaps)
Battle of Algiers - Italian/Algerian (France isn't even listed as one of the countries on imdb)

Most of the Xavier Dolan films are purely Canadian (no French input) - J'ai tue ma mere, Mommy, & Heartbeats list Canada solely. Tom at the Farm, Laurence Anyways, and Indochine: College Boy appear to have some French funding, but they're definitely Canadian only. (Juste la fin du monde is a joint production, and was nominated for multiple Cesars, so I would say it should be eligible, though I personally consider it a Canadian film).

L'homme qui plantait des arbres - purely Canadian film by Frederic Back (France not even listed)

I've always thought the Dardenne Brothers films to be Belgian, not French (despite apparent French funding): L'enfant, La promesse, Le gamin au velo, Le fils, Rosetta, Deux jours une nuit, Le silence de Lorna

The Dreamers is one I would question (but not strongly)
Yeah, same here. And with the African challenge/poll coming up it's worth noting that a *very* large number of well-known African films including significant films of Ousmane Sembene, Djibril Diop Mambéty and Souleymane Cissé as well as a good chunk of Tunisian and Algerian cinema, is listed with France as one of the producing countries. Just because some French company provided 10% or 30% or even 50% of the money for a production otherwise made entirely in another country, by filmmakers and actors in that country, does't mean the film ought to count as "French" IMO. Unless you buy (pun intended) the argument that money is the most important element in determining origin.

But I don't think most of these really questionable films will end up figuring in the end results in any case; Lost in Translation didn't figure heavily in the Japanese poll, did it?

Tarris1
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
clemmetarey
May 5 2018, 03:38:13 PM
I think your list is still in private Tarris1. I can help keeping track if you want Lonewolf
Should be fixed now!

Smoover
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026671409/

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ranked: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/maxwelldeux+icm+forum+favorite+french+films/maxwelldeux/

Mate_cosido
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Here is my list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026674939/ it will be fully ranked, i haven't properly ranked yet but hopefully i do it before the poll closes

Of all the "big" countries France is the one i have neglected the most, and last month i got distracted with South East Asia poll, so i coludn't watch many as i wanted

Carmel1379
Member Avatar
Nur dein Auge–ungeheuer / Blickt mich's an, Unendlichkeit!
Fergenaprido
May 5 2018, 04:00:08 PM

Fair enough. I was - of course - going by French language instead of France as a country, since that's what stands out. But certainly in the case of Belgium (/Wallonia) I'd argue in favour of inclusion given that Belgium (or even Benelux) wouldn't warrant a poll of its own. Dunno how it was at the last poll (2015, I think), or if Quebec was included then.
Edited by Carmel1379, May 5 2018, 07:14:37 PM.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026679967/

It took a while deciding what made a film french enough for this list.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Thanks for doing yet another poll, Lonewolf!

Can you post a link to the previous edition in the OP? When doing the results don't forget to use the previous edition for rise and fall stats.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+forums+top+250+favourite+french+films/xxxapathy420xxx/

And it would be nice afterwards if the old list gets updated by Arthur instead of replaced by a list hosted by you.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls003233439/

perceval
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Here is my list: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026130687/

Teproc
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
FWIW, Juste la fin du monde is definitely French. The actors are French, the play it's based on in French, it takes place in France etc. The only Canadian thing about is is Dolan and probably part of the financing, so it'd be kinda like arguing Alien is a British film to say it's Canadian.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
such a rich cinematic country! so I had to really narrow it down to the absolute best favorites, and managed a top70...
I was already planning on seeing more french this year (sautet, rivette, resnais, jacquot, rohmer, bozon, pialat... so much to still explore further!) but this poll is slightly too soon for that. Maybe next year I can come closer to a top100.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/favourite+french+films+2018+edition+beavis/beavis/
Edited by beavis, May 5 2018, 08:46:28 PM.

Teproc
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Ranked.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
About eligibility two things:

1) The poll is about movies from France, not about movies in the French language. So in my opinion movies from Wallonia, French Canada or other French speaking parts of the world shouldn't be included. Especially since we already done a Canada poll, will do an African one, and sure enough also a Benelux one some day. That's was the rule last edition also.
2) That said, I am very democratic about it an not going to ban movies. If enough people think a movie should be included it will get enough votes and be on the list. I (and others) of course can try to persuade someone to not include a movie one sees as ineligible.
And I think Ferge makes some very strong points against some movies mentioned.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, May 5 2018, 11:00:57 PM.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
joachimt
May 5 2018, 07:30:28 PM
Thanks for doing yet another poll, Lonewolf!

Can you post a link to the previous edition in the OP?

Done. I didn't include them, cause maybe people don't want to be spoiled by knowing which movies did well last times. But those users can just not click on the links.
Quote:

When doing the results don't forget to use the previous edition for rise and fall stats.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+forums+top+250+favourite+french+films/xxxapathy420xxx/

Sure I will give stats about rises and falls. I was hoping someone has the complete list(s) still, so I could give those stats also for movies not in the top 250 last times.

Quote:

And it would be nice afterwards if the old list gets updated by Arthur instead of replaced by a list hosted by you.
That's up to Art. I can give Art the IMDb urls so he can update the list afterwards.

blocho
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls074527510/

Unranked

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Lonewolf2003
May 5 2018, 10:55:36 PM
Quote:

When doing the results don't forget to use the previous edition for rise and fall stats.

Sure I will give stats about rises and falls. I was hoping someone has the complete list(s) still, so I could give those stats also for movies not in the top 250 last times.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/icm+forums+favourite+french+films+long+version/xxxapathy420xxx/

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Thnx

cinewest
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Lonewolf2003
May 5 2018, 01:09:51 PM
iCM Forum's Favourite French Movies
Nominations

Posted Image
Vive la France! Vive le cinéma!! Vive le cinéma français!!!
For the third time we are going to chose our favorite movies from France. Previous editions were in 2012 and 2015.

The deadline is 30th May 2018

• Shorts, mini-series and TV-episodes from anthology series where the episodes are unrelated, are allowed. Tv-series aren't allowed.*
    *Imdb will be leading in this, but if you have good arguments exceptions to the rule can be made in consultation
  • Imdb-lists or iCM-lists are accepted. (If you can't make one of those, ask another user to help you out.)
  • Lists can be any length.
  • Each nominee can only be named once (of course)
  • Your list may be ranked, unranked, or partially-ranked. In a partially-ranked list, the top X films are ranked and everything after that point is unranked. When not specified I will consider a list as ranked.
  • In case of coproduction, if you're unsure if a movie is eligible, please post here.

Because we used these the last times. List length will be 250 and half-life will be 50. Unless there are good reasons to deviate from that.

Some help:
Movies you rated on IMDb from France sorted descending by your rating
Movies you rated on IMDb from France not on a list. Replace XXX with the list id (useful to see which movies aren't in your Favorite French movies list yet)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Previous editions:
Nominations: 2012, 2015
Results: 2012, 2015

Participants:

Please check if your list is stated and linked correctly. So there won't be any hassle with having to recalculate the results after we have started. Any volunteer who wants to count participants with me?

A question. What are the parameters, here?

I've noticed that there are quite a few films I wouldn't call French showing up among my imdb ratings because the French are somehow involved in the productions.

I suggest made in French, but not from former French colonies.
Edited by cinewest, May 6 2018, 09:23:20 AM.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
See my reaction a bit above. Simply said it’s about movies from France. In case of coproductions it’s up to yourself to decide if it’s French enough and eligible or not. For French colonies I would say movies made in former colonies are ineligible, but movies made in current overseas France are eligible.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, May 6 2018, 10:20:17 AM.

cinewest
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
double post, sorry

Edited by cinewest, May 6 2018, 01:42:10 PM.

cinewest
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Lonewolf2003
May 6 2018, 10:06:08 AM
See my reaction a bit above. Simply said it’s about movies from France. In case of coproductions it’s up to yourself to decide if it’s French enough and eligible or not. For French colonies I would say movies made in former colonies are ineligible, but movies made in current overseas France are eligible.

That leaves things very gray.
For example, Last Tango In Paris is a co-production made by an Italian, mostly in English, though there is some French spoken, and it was obviously made in France. I still have trouble considering it a French film. Same with L' Eclisse, and there are many, many others like this.

There are also African films like Waiting For Happiness set in Mauritania, and made by a French-African.

I have chosen to eliminate all of these kinds of films, though there are many of this type that would make my list if I didn't.

My feeling is that you should define the parameters a bit more, or everyone will interpret them differently.
Edited by cinewest, May 6 2018, 01:21:33 PM.

Smoover
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
How about Possession?

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Edit: whoops
Edited by XxXApathy420XxX, May 6 2018, 12:26:47 PM.

Mysterious Dude
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026637986/ (all ranked)

TraverseTown
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/traversetowns+favorite+french+films+2018/traversetown/ ranked

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
cinewest
May 6 2018, 11:50:01 AM
Lonewolf2003
May 6 2018, 10:06:08 AM

That leaves things very gray.
For example, Last Tango In Paris is a co-production made by an Italian, mostly in English, though there is some French spoken, and it was obviously made in France. I still have trouble considering it a French film. Same with L' Eclisse, and there are many, many others like this.

There are also African films like Waiting For Happiness set in Mauritania, and made by a French-African.

I have chosen to eliminate all of these kinds of films, though there are many of this type that would make my list if I didn't.

My feeling is that you should define the parameters a bit more, or everyone will interpret them differently.
Sorry I won’t define the parameters more. Cause every new parameter brings up new discussions or exceptions to the rule. Even the France as production country rule isn't set in stone. If one has a movie that's not produced in France, but can convince me and others it is French it's eligible.
The question one has to ask themselves if one sees a movie as being French enough to include in one’s list. If France is only listed as production country cause they financed it or it really is a French movie. If enough people see a movie as French it’s French enough to be on our list. Of course there will be films that are grey and some will see as French and others not. That’s part of the game.

L’Eclisse isn’t French I would say, since it's made by an Italian director and an Italian crew and cast in Italy in Italian and it's about Italians.
Last Tango is borderline.
African films are ineligible.
Possession is in last edition’s long list, so eligible I would say. But not sure since I know too little of it.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, May 6 2018, 08:42:06 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Lonewolf2003
May 6 2018, 08:29:00 PM
Possession is in last edition’s long list, so eligible I would say.
Being in the long list means at least one person voted for it. That shouldn't be a precedence.

MNA
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Ranked: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls074549912/

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
joachimt
May 6 2018, 08:45:41 PM
Lonewolf2003
May 6 2018, 08:29:00 PM
Possession is in last edition’s long list, so eligible I would say.
Being in the long list means at least one person voted for it. That shouldn't be a precedence.
It’s pretty high in the list (#312), so probably got more than one vote. But you are right it is not so that every movie in the long list should be automatically considered as eligible.
I know too little about Possesion to give advice on it.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, May 6 2018, 10:41:19 PM.

RBG
Member Avatar
notorious
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026667882/

unranked. k nm i removed akerman and will add... :think:

i may have to edit this again anyway; i thought i was almost done when i realized i hadn't included any renoir :wub:
Edited by RBG, May 6 2018, 11:13:43 PM.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Our lists and projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone