Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1983 (Results), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Du côté d'Orouët
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Japanese Challenge; July 2011
Topic Started: Jun 24 2011, 09:11:00 PM (10,126 Views)
Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Here are the rules: You can Join any time in July. Once you start, you have 30 day (or less, if you join late. The final day to watch anything is July 30th) to watch as many Japanese or Japan themed movies as you can. So people who joined on the 25th of June will be done on the 24th of July, etc...

- A feature film (Anything over 45 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 90 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series (45 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.

The scores as of July 17th, 11:16 am, New York time:

Japanese Challenge

June 25th Participants (ends July 24th at midnight)

80. Kasparius
49. MMAlpha
28. Moviefreak
25. LarsC
24. Burneyfan
19. IntotheWild
10. Alberto
5. Cippenham
3. Ormazd
2. Chemosh6969

June 28th Paricipants (ends July 27th at midnight)

33. Rohit

July 1st Participants (Ends July 30th at midnight)

18. mjf314
13. Maksler
11.afirm
10. Soitgoes
10. SeanMX12
8. Timmy_501
7. PeacefulAnarchy
7. Lilarc0r
6. jvv
1. Crinderman

Edited by Kasparius., Jul 18 2011, 03:16:44 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Good start -That Night's Wife 1930 is on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyoY5AU9QUk
but waiting further instructions..
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I have it on my hard drive, I try to stay away from youtube, the quality is often disastrous.

ormazd
No Avatar
Droogan Leader
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've only seen 4 of those. Looks like a fun list.

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I think the rules are basically (in this instance) If you watch anything Japanese that is an official check on ICM it counts towards your total. I think there is a length thing too. Less points for shorts, more for long movies or mini series.

But Chemosh can tell us.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I think I can already say with some confidence that Chemosh will win any challenge put forward on here :)

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
If we all watch tons of good Japanese films, we are all winners.

MMAlpha
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
That is a really good to-see list, Kasparius. I've only seen two of them, but I have five on my hard drive. I'm going to watch Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto tonight. What are Friday nights for, if not for wine and samurai films?

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I wish I could do the same, but I have to go to a party tonight. So wine and social gathering for me.

chemosh6969
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Kasparius
Jun 24 2011, 09:35:50 PM
I think the rules are basically (in this instance) If you watch anything Japanese that is an official check on ICM it counts towards your total. I think there is a length thing too. Less points for shorts, more for long movies or mini series.

But Chemosh can tell us.
Pretty much nailed it. Any issues with a movie, or at the very least a majority of it, taking place in Japan? Or movies that take place in Japan but the cast, or stars, might not all be Japanese? I'm not sure how many movies on lists fall into those types of categories but Lost In Translation comes to mind as does the Toxic Avenger movie that partly takes place in Japan.

Shorts should be easy since we don't have to deal with commercials. 90 minutes of shorts counts as one entry. If it's a TV mini-series, each part counts as an entry.

If a short is watched when it's on a list but then falls off the next week, I think it should count but not if it's watched when it's off the list.

That's my take on stuff.

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I saw that Toxic Avenger you talk about :)
Fun fact. I was working at a film festival and Lloyd Kaufman needed someone to put on the Toxic Avenger mask to interrupt his introductory speech to Toxic Avenger IV: Citizen Toxie, so I ended up playing Toxie for a few minutes, mop and all.

I actually just saw an entry that could be a check in my book and falls more or less in that category you talked about, Cherry Blossoms. It's very much a German film, but a big chunk is in Japan and deals with Japanese themes, so that would be ok.

SeanMX12
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This would be great. On that list, i've only seen nine.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I've loved a lot of the Japanese films I've seen and would say it's my favourite film country so far.

Only seen 38 and 21 of those are animated. Definitely keen on seeing a lot more.

I've seen 1 on Kaspar's list...
Edited by AdamH, Jun 25 2011, 03:28:29 AM.

chemosh6969
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Now I'll have to pull out my DVD and look for you, you toxic impostor!

I'd be happy with things like Cherry Blossoms being allowed. People can always just ask about films like that if they aren't sure.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
Did we want to have an optional checklist as well? I'd make one but I'm not so familiar with Japanese cinema..
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I'm not in any movie, I was only Toxie at a film festival. Although Lloyd did film me as Toxie so I might be in some dvd extra somewhere.

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
When should we start the challenge? Should we give people a couple of days to get a list and some films ready?

LarsC
No Avatar
Illuminati
 *  *  *  * ]
I'll participate in this challenge. I've only seen three of those on K's list. But I'll make my own version of it since I already have others that I need to watch.

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm ready for it. I want to check Ningen no Joken soon because it will give another plat.

So how can one win such a challenge? Is it the number of movies you watch or the total length of the movies you watch?

LarsC
No Avatar
Illuminati
 *  *  *  * ]
I've started a list of japanese movies. Only 18 titles so far but will add more.

http://www.imdb.com/list/4BeZgmANiuQ/?publish=save

Some titles will be the same as on Kasparius' list but that is probably unavoidable.
Edited by LarsC, Jun 25 2011, 12:32:36 PM.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Ok, I'm going to make my own list too. Are we doing it so that the films have to be on an ICM list?

I've seen 3 on your list Lars. Ikiru, High & Low and Castle of Cagliostro.
Edited by AdamH, Jun 25 2011, 01:03:42 PM.

SeanMX12
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll begin making a list today. How long do these competitions last? If it's two weeks, I can maybe see 30 in that time frame.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Ok, can we just start the challenge now because I really want to watch some Japanese films?

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
This sounds like fun -- do we have to make a list on imdb? (I have an account, but I have never made/kept lists there.) I've seen eight on Kaspar's (excellent, fun) list. Some of the ones I want to watch might not be on any ICM lists (like Ozu's There Was a Father -- haven't checked if that one is actually on any award-type lists), but they're certainly available on ICM for checking off once I see them.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
burneyfan
Jun 25 2011, 03:07:58 PM
This sounds like fun -- do we have to make a list on imdb? (I have an account, but I have never made/kept lists there.) I've seen eight on Kaspar's (excellent, fun) list. Some of the ones I want to watch might not be on any ICM lists (like Ozu's There Was a Father -- haven't checked if that one is actually on any award-type lists), but they're certainly available on ICM for checking off once I see them.
Personally, I'm not going for ones that are only on ICM lists. I haven't even checked if mine are but I think most will be. You don't have to make a list on IMDB either but it makes it easier for you to track what you've seen I think/what you want to see.

Here's my list: Japan list

First I did the ones with the highest IMDB rating that I've not seen then I added all the Studio Ghibli films I've not seen at the end. I've seen 12 Ghibli films so far.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Ok, I'm too excited about watching more Japanese films. I'm starting now...apologies if this breaks the "rules".

chemosh6969
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I vote we start on the 1st and go through the rest of the month. Maybe Kasparius could start a thread for our lists and we could use this one for the discussion page? Does anyone really want to limit it to only films on a list?

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
OK I made a list of 45, which is way more than I'll manage in 2-3 weeks (we're in a very gradual process of moving, so most of my DVDs are packed atm, and I'm likely to be without a TV for at least a few days). This isn't my ultimate wishlist (otherwise there'd be a lot more Mizoguchi!); I just included DVDs I have on hand and haven't watched, films in my main Netflix queue, and films in my instant-watch queue.

Japanese films: http://www.imdb.com/list/bLOPLtkcXaA/

I may "cheat" and start watching whenever -- I wish any folks who are competing the best of luck, but for me, this is just a fun opportunity to watch and discuss Japanese films.

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
OMG, Adam, you have some of the coolest viewing experiences ahead (IMO)! Ugetsu, Samurai Rebellion, The Burmese Harp, and Red Beard are some of my favorite films of all time! (A bunch of others are awesome, too...) Enjoy, enjoy...

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I think you're thinking along the same lines as me burney. I just want to get started while I am in the mood and I can't wait to watch more Japanese films. We may be completely missing the point of the "challenge" but does it have to start on the 1st when this is the first one and there aren't exactly going to be hundreds of people doing it? For me it's just about watching Japanese films not the challenge. Although I'd like to do it at the same time as others so we can discuss them.

I'm tempted to add the two Ningen sequels to my lists because I love the first one but if I'm watching these other films I'm not sure I'll have the time.

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I really think any film counts, I guess. I mean if someone want to see a Fukasaku that isn't an official check, in my book that is way more valuable than tons of ones that are on ICM lists. I vote for any Japanese or Japan themed movie to be an official entry.

(examples of Japan themed films that aren't Japanese: Sayonara (1957), Lost in Translation, Cherry Blossoms)

MMAlpha
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I suppose I started too early in watching Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto last night, but I don't have too much interest in the competitive nature of the challenges. I just want the excuse to narrow my focus for a month on certain areas of film.

For the record, I enjoyed Musashi Miyamoto very much. The drenching rain and mud during the Battle of Sekigahara scene near the beginning of the film reminded me a lot of how Kurosawa would use nature as the great leveller in his films. Other than that, it's a fast-paced and engaging samurai film, and I definitely expect to watch the rest of the trilogy during this challenge.

But not yet. My next film will be Kurutta kajitsu, AKA Crazed Fruit (or Juvenile Jungle on IMDb). I expect Kasparius' list to guide most of my decisions about what to watch in this challenge.

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I think as this is a weekend and most people have more time, we should start it today, as most people are hoped up about it. Although if we wait we could get more people on board and more time for planning. What we could do is set two official starts, today and the 1st. let's make it a 30 day challenge so the people starting today will end their challenge on the 25th of July and the others on the 30th.

How does that sound to everyone?

LarsC
No Avatar
Illuminati
 *  *  *  * ]
30 day challenge with two official start dates sounds great

not having to think about the icm lists helps too, I want to watch the other two films in the trilogy that starts with Twilight Samurai

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Ok, The official start to the challenge is open.

I will start mine on the 1st. I have other lists to finish before I start.

By the way I will add more films to my watch list if anybody is interested.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I agree that it's a good idea to allow non-ICM check movies for the challenge as well.

Would be a pity if fun movies like Shimotsuma monogatari (Kamikaze Girls) didn't count.
Edited by jvv, Jun 25 2011, 06:55:25 PM.

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
The same director made Memories of Matsuko a very strange film.

MMAlpha
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I think Hiroshima mon amour should be counted as a check for the purposes of this challenge along the same lines as Lost In Translation. Though undeniably a French production, there is enough of Japan in it to count.

Kasparius

By the way I will add more films to my watch list if anybody is interested.

Please do!

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
http://www.imdb.com/list/j1a7dfU1uV0/?publish=save

Here it is 87 films now.

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Hiroshima mon amour certainly counts.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone