Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
German Challenge; October 2011
Topic Started: Sep 28 2011, 06:52:42 PM (4,632 Views)
3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(I guess I said I'd "host" this or whatever the word is.)

GERMAN CHALLENGE - OCTOBER 1-31, 2011

Goal:
Watch as many movies as you can that are in German, made in a German-speaking country (Germany, GFR/GDR, Austria, German Switzerland), directed by a German-speaking director, set in Germany etc. If you are in doubt whether a movie counts or not, just ask.

Rules:
- A feature film (Anything over 45 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 90 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series (45 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.
- No rewatches

Lists:
The 100 most significant German films

Lists on mubi:
Essential German films
East German cinema
New German cinema: the displaced image ('60s to '80s)
An Austrian assortment
Swiss cinema (includes some movies in French and Italian)

(also lots of war films - and silents)

--
THE CAST SO FAR:

bal3x
beeswax
burneyfan
Cippenham
Crinderman
George Bailey
jvv
Kasparius
Knaldskalle
mightysparks
Nopros
TImec
tommy_leazaq
3eyes

(allison's sitting this one out probably.) Did I miss anyone?
Edited by 3eyes, Sep 30 2011, 08:47:43 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et à jamais...
I'm in, getting my Fassbinder's ready as I type this.

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
I'm in! Shooting for 31. :)

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
The Obsessed Listmaking Slut
I'm in. Not sure what I'm aiming at yet. Maybe 40-50.

P.S. You forgot to add some badass picture from a german flick to motivate us! ;)
Edited by St. Gloede, Sep 28 2011, 08:54:52 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
I'm in Ich bin drin. I have no idea how many I'll get to, since I'm mostly going to focus on the horror challenge.

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et à jamais...
Crinderman
Sep 28 2011, 07:53:38 PM

P.S. You forgot to add some bad ass picture from a german flick to motivate us! ;)

Posted Image

How about this.
Edited by Kasparius, Sep 28 2011, 08:08:34 PM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Crinderman, I can't do goodass pictures, let alone badass ones. If you or someone would like to add one, be my guest.

Oh, great, Kaspar. I see we cross-posted.
Edited by 3eyes, Sep 28 2011, 08:09:48 PM.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
Kasparius
Sep 28 2011, 08:07:46 PM
How about this.
Lolalah... :)

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Kasparius
Sep 28 2011, 08:07:46 PM
Crinderman
Sep 28 2011, 07:53:38 PM

P.S. You forgot to add some bad ass picture from a german flick to motivate us! ;)

Posted Image

How about this.
That's the best German movie ever made (alongside Metropolis and Chinese Roullette) so fuck yeah!!!

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et à jamais...
How about WW2 movies were lots of Nazis are shot? Do those counts? I sure hope so.

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
Please count me in, not sure how many as I tend to roam free nowadays..

I think most World War 2 films should count as long as the Germans are included for more than just a short period. My favourite is The Longest Day which includes all French and German characters speaking in their native language with subtitles in English. That was almost unique for films made at that time.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in! Also aiming for 31.

beeswax
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm here. In. Aiming for the one-a-day average.

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Count me in..

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
I'm going to be concentrating on the horror challenge but I plan to get a few German horrors in there.

George Bailey
No Avatar
Nana Mouskouri fan!
So roll me further, bitch! (count me in)

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'm in, although I doubt I'll see more than 10 or so.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'd be surprised if I see one German film this month. I like German films. I see mainly English and French films. But when I see other foreign films, I tend to watch German and Italian films. However, I think I have 63 films to see on the horror list. And if I concentrate on that, I will have little to no time to watch German films. And I think I've seen all the German horror films out there.

bal3x
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'm in.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Just added the list of participants at the bottom of my initial post. Any corrections, lemme know.

I'm aiming for about 20. I hope to make inroads on the German and Silent lists, and also to improve my acquaintance with East German cinema.

I'll post my "to watch" and "have seen" lists when I've got them together.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My watchlist:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Not finished.
Edited by Nopros, Oct 1 2011, 12:04:57 AM.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
3eyes
Sep 30 2011, 01:59:11 PM
improve my acquaintance with East German cinema.
Strangely, my local library almost seems to have more East German movies available than West German movies. A bunch of the old DEFA movies were released on DVD by UMass and noone appears to pick up the old West German films.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
Nopros
Sep 30 2011, 03:24:31 PM
My watchlist:

Not finished.
You've got Die Blechtrommel (Tin Drum) in there twice. It's just been theatrically released in a "Director's Cut", btw.
Also I wouldn't consider Lola Montes a German movie, despite the fact that Ophüls was German. To me it's French.

bal3x
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Knaldskalle
Sep 30 2011, 06:39:33 PM
Also I wouldn't consider Lola Montes a German movie, despite the fact that Ophüls was German. To me it's French.
I listed Lola Montes under French challenge. It's a tricky case since it's a German director's film about an Irish dancer. But I think it would qualify under German challenge too since Ophuls is German after all even though this particular film was made during his second French period.

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
Looks like German directors films count anyway.

Timec
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I did my own German challenge three months ago, and ended up watching 35 films (most of them silent), seven or eight of which turned out to be new favorites. I'm currently trying to learn German, so I've put off watching very many sound films until I'm a little bit more competent and can hopefully benefit from hearing it spoken - still, I'll try to get in some viewings for this challenge, mainly focusing on the early sound era and the immediate postwar era.

Anyways...

I'm in.
Edited by Timec, Sep 30 2011, 08:46:09 PM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Quote:

I agree it's really a French film, but it's partly set in Bavaria, as the heroine was mistress of the King Ludwig. In any case, it's on the "100 Best German films" list.

As is usual for country challenges, films set in the German-speaking world count, regardless of their nationality or that of their director. (Visconti's Ludwig, Rosselini's Germany Year Zero, The Desert Fox, The Third Man, etc.)
Edited by 3eyes, Oct 1 2011, 03:36:32 AM.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Knaldskalle
Sep 30 2011, 06:39:33 PM
You've got Die Blechtrommel (Tin Drum) in there twice. It's just been theatrically released in a "Director's Cut", btw.
Thanks. Hmm, that's true. Removing it from the watchlist.
Edited by Nopros, Sep 30 2011, 11:56:02 PM.

SeanMX12
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Top 10 German films:
1. Aguirre , the Wrath of God; 1972 | Top 20
2. Das Boot; 1981 | Top 50
3. Fitzcarraldo; 1982 | Top 75
4. M; 1931 | Top 150
5. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht; 1979 | Top 250
6. Faust; 1926 | Top 500
7. The Last Laugh; 1924
8. The Golem; 1920
9. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari; 1920
10 Metropolis; 1927

This list is pitiful. It depresses me that only six of my 531 favorites are German. I doubt i've seen 50 German films. I really should devote some time to this challenge. Too bad it's in October and i'm a horror junkie.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (1979) 6.5/10

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (1972) - 7/10

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
1. Maskerade (1934, Willi Forst)

My new number two for 1934. A raunchy yet elegant black comedy built around the upper class in Vienna. Well known playboy painter Heideneck, played by none other than Anton Walbrook, publishes by mistake a nude portrait of a woman wearing nothing but a mask. Her identity is hidden, but due to a horrifying give-away, and a few unforseen circumstances he must enter an eloborate scheme to stop her husband from finding out. The husband however is absolutely certain that it's not his wife, but his brother's fiance. And the fiance in question, while not the woman in the painting, has been having an affair with Heideneck for quite some time, and seems ready to kill the man at any minute. Found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions, but most of all I got involved in the drama and the characters, in fact I found myself downright frightened at one point.

9/10

I would recommend this movie to everyone here, save Mightysparks. It's on a doubling the canon, but shockingly it only has 83 votes on IMDb. This movie needs a bigger audience!!!

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Crinderman
Oct 1 2011, 05:49:50 PM

My new number two for 1934. A raunchy yet elegant black comedy built around the upper class in Vienna. Well known playboy painter Heideneck, played by none other than Anton Walbrook, publishes by mistake a nude portrait of a woman wearing nothing but a mask. Her identity is hidden, but due to a horrifying give-away, and a few unforseen circumstances he must enter an eloborate scheme to stop her husband from finding out. The husband however is absolutely certain that it's not his wife, but his brother's fiance. And the fiance in question, while not the woman in the painting, has been having an affair with Heideneck for quite some time, and seems ready to kill the man at any minute. Found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions, but most of all I got involved in the drama and the characters, in fact I found myself downright frightened at one point.

9/10

I would recommend this movie to everyone here, save Mightysparks. It's on a doubling the canon, but shockingly it only has 83 votes on IMDb. This movie needs a bigger audience!!!
Sounds familiar to Mademoiselle Striptease with Brigitte Bardot. She wore a mask so people wouldn't know it was her. But your movie sounds much better. Mme Striptease aka Plucking the Daisy was still enjoyable thoughl

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
allisoncm
Oct 1 2011, 05:56:07 PM
Crinderman

9/10

Sounds familiar to Mademoiselle Striptease with Brigitte Bardot. She wore a mask so people wouldn't know it was her. But your movie sounds much better. Mme Striptease aka Plucking the Daisy was still enjoyable thoughl
Haven't seen that movie, doubt it's too similar though, as the lady in the painting is far from the lead. Though I hope you'll check it out and find out for yourself ;)

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Menschen am Sonntag (1929) 5/10

bal3x
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. City Girl (1930) - 7/10

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Die Büchse der Pandora (1929) 8/10

beeswax
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Crinderman

9/10

You make it sound very tantalizing. Unfortunately it seems hard-to-find, too. I'm not finished looking, but so far it's in the huge "must-see-can't-get" list.

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et à jamais...
1. The Longest Day (1962) Ken Annakin, Andrew Marton (6/10)

A small 6. Bloated Patriotism, self important and pseudo profound, The Longest day redeems itself with the amount of money it spent on the battle scenes, which remain, nearly 50 years later, impressive.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
beeswax
Oct 1 2011, 07:58:40 PM
Crinderman

9/10

You make it sound very tantalizing. Unfortunately it seems hard-to-find, too. I'm not finished looking, but so far it's in the huge "must-see-can't-get" list.
It's on KG, and CG(though that's a much poorer print).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone