Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: La perla
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Degrees of Separation Challenge; November 2011
Topic Started: Oct 27 2011, 07:16:12 PM (5,819 Views)
bubar
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
Degrees of Separation Challenge

Posted Image

Goal:

Watch as many movies as you can, where each film you watch has to have some connection to the film you watched just before it.

Level 1 (the starting point) for everybody is Lawrence of Arabia (the film on the most iCM lists): Lawrence of Arabia

(This film is the starting point but you don't have to watch it. So your first movie can be anything as long as you connect it to Lawrence.)

You don't need the same type of connection between films, there are many ways to connect movies :

- same actor in it
- same director
- same country
- same year
- same genre
- same list on ICM
- same theme
- etc

Rules:
- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 40 minutes of short films count as one entry (you don't need to watch them consecutive)
- For Mini-Series (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 40 minute rule applies.
- No rewatches
- Add the previous movie watched and the connection to the movie you watched now to your post, example:

Lawrence of Arabia - military - Stripes - Bill Murray

Challenge runs from 1 November 2011 - 30 November 2011

Participants::

The final result:

1) Allisoncm - 104
2) WalterNeff - 61
3) Beeswax - 57
4) Burneyfan - 43
5) PeacefulAnarchy - 41
6) Jvv - 37
7) Lampadatriste - 30
8) Kowry - 26
9) bubar - 13
10) LarsC - 8
11) pongy_papaya - 7
12) Lilarc0r - 6
Elmozg - 6
13) Enigma - 5
14) Lukewaffe - 1
SeanMX12 - 1

burneyfan gets the honorable mention for connections found: :teehee:

Antichrist - toddler boy wakes up in bed at night to a notable sight; plummeting from a window; hospital scene; prominent use of a bridge; animal attempts to give birth; talking canid; brief, largely wordless scene in which an animal utters a two-word phrase, the first word of which is "Chaos"; hundreds of globular objects sloooowly falling around a character; a wheel-like object with a spike/rod/axel through the center that is attached to a character's leg(s) (and given a prominent shot); hiding in a small, enclosed space from a dangerous person - Babe: Pig in the City (Miller, 1998)

Please add numbers in front of the movies watched, it makes it a bit easier for me to keep up :)
Edited by bubar, Dec 2 2011, 08:08:19 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I guess I'm in. I'm doing the Criterion challenge, but I'll try to change it up. We can use the same connection only once, right? ;)

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
I'm in! Going to be flying by the seat of my pants, as I've planned nothing...except maybe my first connection...or maybe not.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Sounds like a fun challenge, I'm in.

Am just going to watch random stuff and come up with tenuous connections on the fly. :teehee:

Mochard
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I so want to do this but also want to do the Italian challenge, give me a couple of days to try and come up with links to all my Italian films I plan on watching that isn't just same director, same country every film and Ill let you know if I'm in :)

First challenge how to get to Italy from Lawrence of Arabia :D

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Just for clarification, we don't need to actually see Lawrence of Arabia do we? Ugh...that's something I swore I'd never do again in a million years.

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
Mochard
Oct 27 2011, 09:33:32 PM
Lawrence of Arabia ---> directed by David Lean ----> Summertime (set & shot in Venice)

(There are probably much more creative ways, but it's the first one that occurred to me...)

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
allisoncm
Oct 27 2011, 10:10:33 PM
Just for clarification, we don't need to actually see Lawrence of Arabia do we? Ugh...that's something I swore I'd never do again in a million years.
No, people were already saying that if you've seen it, you don't have to see it again -- it's just the common jump-off point. (And if someone hasn't, it's worth a bazillion checks, so hey...)
Edited by burneyfan, Oct 27 2011, 10:35:15 PM.

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
Mochard
Oct 27 2011, 09:33:32 PM
Ooh! Or....

Lawrence of Arabia ----> Anthony Quinn -----> The Secret of Santa Vittoria (nifty little film starring Quinn in which WWII Italians hide all their wine from the Germans), La Strada (Italian film!), or Wild is the Wind (set in America, I believe, but Quinn's character is of Italian descent -- maybe born in Italy, I don't remember -- and marries his widowed Italian sister-in-law, played by Anna Magnani)

(Quinn may have played other Italians or in Italian films -- I just don't remember right off.) Hell, this is already fun.
Edited by burneyfan, Oct 27 2011, 10:34:36 PM.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
allisoncm
Lawrence of Arabia is great though, so you should see it again.

I'm definitely in and I too will be making up connections on the fly. It'll be mostly noir month for me so the hardest part will be not using the same links repeatedly.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
PeacefulAnarchy
Oct 27 2011, 10:35:17 PM
allisoncm
Lawrence of Arabia is great though, so you should see it again.

I'm definitely in and I too will be making up connections on the fly. It'll be mostly noir month for me so the hardest part will be not using the same links repeatedly.
So, I guess my question is, do we have to start from Lawrence of Arabia? Or can we start from any movie? I don't mind connecting a movie to Lawrence of Arabia, but I would mind watching it again.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
allisoncm
Oct 27 2011, 10:38:20 PM
So, I guess my question is, do we have to start from Lawrence of Arabia? Or can we start from any movie? I don't mind connecting a movie to Lawrence of Arabia, but I would mind watching it again.
You start from Lawrence but you don't have to watch it. So your first movie can be anything as long as you connect it to Lawrence.

bubar
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
What PeacefulAnarchy says :)

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
This challenge sounds like so much fun, but I just can't do it this month as well. Been doing nothing but challenges for two months now, I need to get back to my regular schedule. I hope this challenge will be a recurring feature, so I may join you next time.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
PeacefulAnarchy
Oct 27 2011, 11:00:58 PM
allisoncm
Oct 27 2011, 10:38:20 PM
You start from Lawrence but you don't have to watch it. So your first movie can be anything as long as you connect it to Lawrence.
Cool, thanks for the clarification. :D

SeanMX12
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. I'm also in the Italian challenge. Would it be cheating if you linked all the Italian films into this challenge? There should probably be a rule against that for people in both.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
Knaldskalle
Oct 27 2011, 11:33:21 PM
This challenge sounds like so much fun, but I just can't do it this month as well. Been doing nothing but challenges for two months now, I need to get back to my regular schedule. I hope this challenge will be a recurring feature, so I may join you next time.
Same reasoning as me :( I was looking forward to it, but I just can't do another challenge. We'll probably get some unofficial repeats of it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

beeswax
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
SeanMX12
Oct 28 2011, 03:04:40 AM
I'm in. I'm also in the Italian challenge. Would it be cheating if you linked all the Italian films into this challenge? There should probably be a rule against that for people in both.
I think you'll be surprised at how creative you can get, or how many films link together in unexpected ways.

For mighty and Knalds and everyone who has "challenge fatigue" -- I've got a bit of it myself, but I think in your regular watching you'll be noticing things ... well, see sentence above.

I'm in. Expecting fun and weirdness.

Thanks, bubar, for hosting!

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
beeswax
Oct 28 2011, 06:27:00 AM
For mighty and Knalds and everyone who has "challenge fatigue" -- I've got a bit of it myself, but I think in your regular watching you'll be noticing things ... well, see sentence above.
I agree with beeswax, this challenge is more or less the perfect challenge to combine with your regular watching. You'll just have to get a bit creative to think up connections between movies.

Speaking of creative, maybe we could have a poll at the end of this challenge, where people can vote on who has made the most creative/interesting connections. Have an additional winner to the challenge (so you don't have to watch 100+ movies to have a chance at winning :P ).

Edited by jvv, Oct 28 2011, 09:03:38 AM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
I too was looking forward to it but feel challenged out.
Plus, I made some trial sequences and got lost in the valley of indecision. I guess I'm not temperamentally suited to this one, however much fun it looks on paper.

Kowry
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I was thinking that I wouldn't participate in any challenge next month, but this seems like one that doesn't restrict your viewings too much and is also pretty fun. So I'm in, although maybe not as a full-time participant. I don't know if I'll be making any kind of watchlist for the challenge, although I already figured out several interesting films that I could watch at the beginning. I think I'll start with watching David Lynch's Dune, a film that I've been meaning to watch for some time now. It's set on a desert planet, so there's the connection with Lawrence.

bubar
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
SeanMX12
Don't think we should have a rule against using a film in both challenges, if you're creative enough to find Chinese noir films etc, why not :D

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
bubar
Oct 28 2011, 05:38:53 PM
SeanMX12
Don't think we should have a rule against using a film in both challenges, if you're creative enough to find Chinese noir films etc, why not :D
I'm going to have Criterion as my main challenge and hopefully do some Italian films as well. I'm going to hopefully be creative enough to work the Degrees of Separation Challenges into everything I see. We'll see though!

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Here's another messed up question that has been brewing on my mind. Sometimes I am not good at watching films "in order". AKA I can easily connect a film to Lawrence of Arabia, but the film I want to connect, I can't see till half the month is over. So does it matter in which order you see the films, as long as you can connect them together?

Or say I watch a film at a film festival and it has nothing to do with the next one. Do I have to wait to count another movie until I can find a film that connects to where I left off? I forsee this as a potential problem.

Enigma
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'm in!

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
allisoncm
Oct 28 2011, 09:39:49 PM
Here's another messed up question that has been brewing on my mind. Sometimes I am not good at watching films "in order". AKA I can easily connect a film to Lawrence of Arabia, but the film I want to connect, I can't see till half the month is over. So does it matter in which order you see the films, as long as you can connect them together?

Or say I watch a film at a film festival and it has nothing to do with the next one. Do I have to wait to count another movie until I can find a film that connects to where I left off? I forsee this as a potential problem.
For the first one I'd say yes they have to be in order, that's part of the challenge, not that we can verify the order in which you watched stuff.

For the second I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're asking whether you can watch an unrelated film and skip it then sure, you can watch stuff outside the marathon. If you're asking whether you can cut off the chain because a film doesn't fit and start a new chain based on that film then I'd say no.

These are all just my opinion obviously.
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Oct 28 2011, 10:26:20 PM.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
bubar
Oct 27 2011, 07:16:12 PM

- A total of 90 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series (45 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.

A question of my own. How would either of the above work?
Would the person have to connect each of their many shorts adding up to 90 minutes?
Would you have to find a connection between the episodes in the miniseries?

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
PeacefulAnarchy
Oct 28 2011, 10:25:36 PM
allisoncm
Oct 28 2011, 09:39:49 PM

For the first one I'd say yes they have to be in order, that's part of the challenge, not that we can verify the order in which you watched stuff.

For the second I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're asking whether you can watch an unrelated film and skip it then sure, you can watch stuff outside the marathon. If you're asking whether you can cut off the chain because a film doesn't fit and start a new chain based on that film then I'd say no.

These are all just my opinion obviously.
k, that makes sense. I understand that I have to start the chain in order, and I understand we can't create two separate chains. I found another way to connect Lawrence of Arabia and perhaps I can pull a Pulp Fiction and have the last movie also connect to Lawrence. Just a thought. :lol:

bubar
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
PeacefulAnarchy
Oct 28 2011, 10:36:40 PM
bubar

- For Mini-Series (45 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.

Would the person have to connect each of their many shorts adding up to 90 minutes?
Hum, to be honest I copied this from the other challenges :unsure:

My first time hosting a challenge, so :turned:

For mini series and shorts I would say that you can use the connection between them (same actor / place / year / genres etc).
It was agreed I think that everyone should decide for themselves if they would use the same connection more than once or not (like twice "actor" being the connection.

So let me know if you agree, I'll add this to the OP then.

beeswax
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
bubar
Oct 28 2011, 11:41:56 PM
PeacefulAnarchy
Oct 28 2011, 10:36:40 PM
bubar

Hum, to be honest I copied this from the other challenges :unsure:

My first time hosting a challenge, so :turned:

For mini series and shorts I would say that you can use the connection between them (same actor / place / year / genres etc).
It was agreed I think that everyone should decide for themselves if they would use the same connection more than once or not (like twice "actor" being the connection.

So let me know if you agree, I'll add this to the OP then.
I'd say maybe this is a challenge where we need to let shorts count as a separate entries instead of bundling by time restrictions.

But if you want to watch a bunch of shorts you can't just use "short film" as your connection to the next one.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
If that's the case, I'd try to connect as many shorts as possible.....

beeswax
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
allisoncm
Oct 29 2011, 01:02:11 AM
Since the point of the challenge is the connections between films, I don't see a problem with this. Does anyone else?

Granted, I haven't been particularly concerned with racking up big numbers. My very first challenge cured me of that notion right quick.

The fun of the game, people. The fun of the game.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
beeswax
Oct 29 2011, 01:05:28 AM
allisoncm
Oct 29 2011, 01:02:11 AM
Since the point of the challenge is the connections between films, I don't see a problem with this. Does anyone else?

Granted, I haven't been particularly concerned with racking up big numbers. My very first challenge cured me of that notion right quick.

The fun of the game, people. The fun of the game.
True, but I have a feeling, I'll be seeing enough shorts and I'm even going to a program of a night of shorts. So it'll be fun trying to figure out how to connect those all together... We'll see.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
How about you need 45 minutes of shorts (not sure why it's 90 mins if we accept 45 as a feature) for one entry but they don't need to be consecutive. So, for example

feature - 1 entry
short(5min)
short(10min)
feature - 2nd entry
short (20min)
feature 3rd entry
short (12min) - 4th entry combined with previously seen shorts)
feature - 5th entry
etc
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Oct 29 2011, 01:47:08 AM.

beeswax
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
PeacefulAnarchy
Oct 29 2011, 01:46:47 AM
How about you need 45 minutes of shorts (not sure why it's 90 mins if we accept 45 as a feature) for one entry but they don't need to be consecutive. So, for example

feature - 1 entry
short(5min)
short(10min)
feature - 2nd entry
short (20min)
feature 3rd entry
feature - 5th entry
etc
That seems like a happy compromise.

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
beeswax
Oct 29 2011, 01:50:16 AM
PeacefulAnarchy

feature - 1 entry
short(5min)
short(10min)
feature - 2nd entry
short (20min)
feature 3rd entry
feature - 5th entry
etc
Agreed -- this makes sense.

WalterNeff
Member Avatar
Bunny Dostoevsky
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I am going to combine this challenge with the Criterion challenge, so count me in.

@PeacefulAnarchy - happy to chat noir with you.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
burneyfan
Oct 29 2011, 01:52:07 AM
beeswax
Oct 29 2011, 01:50:16 AM
PeacefulAnarchy

feature - 1 entry
short(5min)
short(10min)
feature - 2nd entry
short (20min)
feature 3rd entry
feature - 5th entry
etc
Agreed -- this makes sense.
Cool.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
A Separation would have been a good film to start on. :)

pongy_papaya
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Hey, count me in for this challenge too. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone