Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
90s Challenge; January 2012
Topic Started: Dec 27 2011, 03:39:38 AM (4,663 Views)
Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Time for a 90s challenge! Pretty easy to define this I'd say. Every movie IMDb says is from that decade count as an entry.

The Goal is to watch as many movies from the 90s as possible.

Posted Image

The rules are as usual:
- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- A total of 90 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- For Mini-Series (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.
- No rewatches

Challenge runs from 1 January 2012 - 31 January 2012.

So far we only have one list on ICM conserning movies specially from the 90s. And that's the IMDb 1990s Top Movies list. Of course, almost every list could be used in this challenge.

Participants:
Nopros - 64
burneyfan - 38
Micron - 25
Gregmnewman - 19
Cippenham - 17
sushantv10 - 14
Gorro - 13
tommy_leazaq - 12
Mochard - 11
Lilarc0r - 10
Kowry - 10
dormice - 9
Kasparius - 9
deepspeaks - 8
allisoncm - 8
VincentPrice - 4
deepak1990 - 3
lampadatriste - 2
wowwee123 - 2
Timec - 1
Dolwphin - 1
Rigters -
jerilee -

Edited by Nopros, Feb 1 2012, 03:19:04 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In like Flint

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
I'm in...aiming for 20-25. (It's going to be a busy January...)

Are you calling the decade 1990-1999, or 1991-2000? I don't care either way -- I just want to know so I consider the right films as options.
Edited by burneyfan, Dec 27 2011, 04:04:51 AM.

sushantv10
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I AM IN

But may go for a few ones ...

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1990-1999.

I'm aiming for 20-25 this month. Same as Burneyfan

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I don't have many '90s films to watch. I may rewatch a couple for rewatch month, even tho I know rewatches aren't allowed for this challenge. Oh well!

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et jamais...
I will watch a few.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
allisoncm
Dec 27 2011, 06:17:15 AM
I don't have many '90s films to watch. I may rewatch a couple for rewatch month, even tho I know rewatches aren't allowed for this challenge. Oh well!
I'm aiming for three. Plus there is a TV series I'll be watching that seems to be more like a mini-series. Not sure how many episodes it has.

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
Count me in, I will see some for other challenges and other lists so will try to see 90s British films for example.

Timec
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll probably only watch a few, but I'm in.

sushantv10
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cippenham
Dec 27 2011, 06:55:38 AM
Count me in, I will see some for other challenges and other lists so will try to see 90s British films for example.
Planning to do the same..

iCheckFlicks
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Count me in. I would love to take this as my first challenge :)

Rigters
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Count me in. It will be my first challenge!

jerilee
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I'm in. Probably won't see a lot, but oh well...

Gregmnewman
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. My first challenge as well

Dolwphin
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I might as well participate. Let's hope that the telly can show some decent 90's flicks during January.

Gorro
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm going to participate in this as well. It will be a good motivation to finally watch Safe, The Last Seduction and Close-Up among others.

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
I am in

Gregmnewman
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
1. Bottle Rocket (1996) 7/10

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I am in. My goal is ten movies.

1. Braveheart (1995)

Well this was close to the worst possible start of the year movie-wise for me. Mel Gibson directs a Mel Gibson film, he's a super amazing alpha male who bangs two chicks, is super smarzts and speaks at least five different languages fluently. Somehow however, he's better at those than the "Scottiscssccjh" dialect he's supposed to have for this shitflick. As for what goes on in the movie it's very comparable to the equally awful "The Patriot" (which Roland Emmerich directed); the Englishmen are apparently worse than the Nazis, it's all too predictable and lots of bromance all over. Apparently on the British Isles there is not a whole lot of gravity, given that it looks like "heroic liberators" are killing "evil raping monsters" with plastic swords and axes. Granted, it's not a movie that takes itself 100% seriously all the time, I guess the mooning and flashing before the battle was only supposed to be fun although I almost went to get a gun to shoot the TV and then myself. But when the extremely dramatic and downright inauthentic soundtrack kicks in I think we are supposed to feel something, perhaps even shed a tear. I almost did, but only because I was thinking about how miserable I was for getting up early on the first day of the year after a long night just to watch this. I am probably taking this film too seriously by even writing this wall of text, but I cannot relax my eyes on something like this. It's constantly punching me too hard for me to turn my brain off. I had some faith in the regular imdb-users and this film considering that it's within the top 100 on the top 250 list. Boy was I wrong, and this is easily the worst I've seen from that list.

I had DVRed this film and usually I skip the commercial breaks when I watch a DVRed film and watch the movie in one sitting, but for this movie I had to take those commercial breaks to pause the suffering for some minutes. I'll give Braveheart a plus for nice settings though and pleasant green color of the grass, although the camera and light settings were all over the place at times.

2/10

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
Lilarc0r
Jan 1 2012, 02:34:57 PM
1. Braveheart (1995)

Well this was close to the worst possible start of the year movie-wise for me...
Thanks for a good laugh, which I desperately needed (it's not even 9:45 a.m. here, the weekend and supposedly a holiday, and I've already had to work three hours this morning, with more to come). I think the silver lining to watching a really bad, painful movie is the fun one can sometimes have in writing the review (and from my end, in reading it).

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, I did have some fun writing that! And thanks. Overall though it doesn't make up for the 177 minutes I could have spent watching a better movie in my opinion. Some say that it is a good idea to watch a "bad" movie now and then in order to appreciate the good movies more, but I think I'd rather watch something like a horror B-movie than true horror like Braveheart again.

deepak1990
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I am in :)

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
01. Pro urodov i lyudey (1998) 5/10

A lot of nudity and quite special, but was pretty boring.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
02. Rushmore (1998) 6/10

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. The Hunt for Red October (1990)

Odd with the Russians changing from speaking Russian in the start to English and then back to Russian again, I guess it's so that watchers don't have to read subtitles. It doesn't add to the immersion surely, and some of the visual aspects of the film are pretty poor. The shooting scene is not great and lacks any tension, and anything shown outside of the submarines looks kind of terrible - notably the special effects. Some of this is due to limited technology probably, other times it could have been done differently. Actually I wouldn't mind if they cut out all the scenes outside of the submarine under the water from the movie, because the performances and good twists in the story makes it thrilling on its own. It's not quite a Das Boot in overall quality, but it works rather well and it kept me entertained. 7/10

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
03. Brat (1997) 7/10

Gregmnewman
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
2. The Blair Witch Project (1999) 4/10

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea

01. Il mio viaggio in Italia a.k.a. My Voyage to Italy -- Scorsese, 1999.

Scorsese offers a wonderful crash course on Italian film, coupled with his own personal recollections on the impact that Italian cinema has had on him. I wish I could find someone who hasn't watched or read much about Rossellini, De Sica, Visconti, Antonioni, and Fellini, so I could have him/her sit down and watch this film before diving in -- it would be encouraging preparatory material, the kind I wished I'd had before I plunged straight into St. Francis of the Flowers, 8-1/2, and L'Avventura. (Those were my first Rossellini, Fellini, and Antonioni respectively. All three of those films are great, but in hindsight, they're not what I'd have picked for someone like I was: a first-timer with no real prior knowledge of the directors, and young to boot.) Scorsese does mention other filmmakers, not just the five I mentioned, but those are the five on whom he spends the most time. He's a personable narrator, and the parts about his own life, growing up on Elizabeth Street in a Sicilian neighborhood, were the parts I actually found most interesting, since I'd already seen quite a few of the films and done a lot of reading and study on most of the non-personal stuff he covers. (I have to say...I did find it a little weird that he talked so much about his experience watching the films of these directors, especially Rossellini whom he covers practically film by film, and yet I don't recall him even mentioning that Scorsese was once married to (Roberto's daughter) Isabella Rossellini or had Ingrid Bergman (whom he discusses in many of these films) as a mother-in-law. Given the amount of time and praise he lavishes on Rossellini -- even if it is merited -- it had me wondering impishly if Scorsese wouldn't rather have gotten close to a different Rossellini -- the daughter may be beautiful, but he seems smitten with the father! I'm joking, but not mentioning it at all seemed like an elephant in the room, given how much time he spent talking about his family and personal life earlier in the film.) With many other films, I'd say the clips are overlong for someone who's already seen the movies from which he excerpts, but the movies are so good and the clips so well-chosen that I really didn't mind watching nice little chunks of them over again. The other thing I'd have loved would have been more discussion from Scorsese on any ties that he sees in his own work -- I know he wanted this documentary to be about Italian cinema and not "the Scorsese show," but since he spent so much time talking about his childhood and says that these films had a direct impact on his work, it might have been nice to have him talk more about that work -- who better to do so than the director himself?

02. Insomnia -- Skjoldbjaerg, 1997.

I liked it okay -- better than the Nolan remake -- but I'm probably a pretty ideal audience member: I love police procedurals and I rarely mind when they're slowly-paced (as long as they're going somewhere eventually). This version felt less Hollywoodized than the...well, Hollywood version (!), which is set in Alaska, not Norway. I think a lot of my preference for the Norwegian version is due to Stellan Skarsgard -- nothing against Al Pacino, but to me, the lead role seems like a younger (though not young) man's role, and Skarsgard does a good job with it. I also thought Gisken Armand seemed more credible as the female investigator; Hilary Swank just didn't do it for me.
Edited by burneyfan, Jan 2 2012, 05:09:15 AM.

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et jamais...
@Burneyfan. I think Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies is infinitely better than the Italian one. I found that he focused on too few movies and showed way too much of them.

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average

1. Land and Freedom 1995

Interesting film about the lost cause of the Spanish Civil War from the Republican point of view, an English communist joins and finds they are infighting in their side with different political views. A lost cause, a hopeless cause but a good film.

However this gets me a PLATINUM for the 100 Best British Films so I will go on to concentrate on films recorded on TV and Thomson's list for this challenge.

deepak1990
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]

1. Lawyer Lawyer [1997]
Edited by deepak1990, Jan 2 2012, 03:13:37 PM.

Micron
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
My first post, my first challenge. I have no idea how many movies from the '90s I'm going to see this month, but let's say my goal is about 20. I don't know if I'm going to reach my goal, but posting here is kind of a motivation ;) It will be a lot of well-known movies I guess.

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
Kasparius
Jan 2 2012, 06:09:24 AM
@Burneyfan. I think Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies is infinitely better than the Italian one. I found that he focused on too few movies and showed way too much of them.
Thanks -- I'll have to check out the American one. I thought the Italian survey was good, and likely to excite someone who hadn't had prior interest in the films -- a great example would be my husband, who has seen none of the profiled movies and knows next-to-nothing about the directors: he walked by early in the second half and got completely sucked in, watching the rest of the film and asking all kinds of questions. I found myself wishing I'd seen it in high school or very early in college, before I wound up in a Barcelona theater watching 8-1/2 with no real understanding of what I was watching (it was 1993 -- Fellini had just died, and Cinema Verdi near where I lived was showing some of his films in tribute).

Glad They Made Me a Fugitive was good, too. :) I got sucked into watching a bunch of (often wonderful) experimental shorts this morning and I'm trying to finish Harper from late last night, but unless I have more ugly work surprises awaiting, I should get to watch Hard Eight before bedtime tonight...

Gregmnewman
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
03. Chasing Amy (1997) 7/10

deepak1990
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
2. The Mission [1999]

iCheckFlicks
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
1. Raise the Red Lantern

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
04. Tongues Untied (1990) 2/10

Mochard
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I wasn't planning on doing this challenge but in the last 2 days I have randomly managed to watch 4 films from the 1990's - it's no coincidence that they are all British!

1. Robinson in Space (1997) - 6/10
2. Life is Sweet (1990) - 7/10
3. Richard III (1995) - 7/10
4. The Madness of King George (1994) - 7/10

Micron
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
1. Batman Forever (1995) - 6/10

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone