Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
African Challenge; official - Nov 2012
Topic Started: Oct 31 2012, 06:49:20 PM (1,997 Views)
3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Goal:
Watch as many movies as you can that fit into this category (e.g. listed as African on IMDb or African director). If you are in doubt whether a movie counts or not, just ask.

Rules:
- A feature film (Anything over 45 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 90 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series (45 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.
- No Rewatches.

Challenge runs from 1 November 2012 - 30 November 2012.
-------
Participants :
Lilarcor : 20
Knaldskalle : 19
kingink : 15
3eyes : 9
mjf314 : 9
allisoncm : 5
brokenface : 5
Timec : 3
esiersdale : 2
Innocuous Bird : 2
burneyfan : -
Nopros : -
PeacefulAnarchy : -
WalterNeff : -
-------

Official lists:
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/fespaco+-+etalon+de+yennenga/ (Awards)
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/guide+to+african+cinema/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/unescos+memory+of+the+world+national+cinematic+heritage/ (Angola, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Egypt)

Unofficial lists:
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/mubis+top+african+films/timec/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/cfbs+greatest+films+of+sub-saharan+africa/timec/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/african+submissions+for+the+academy+award+for+best+foreign+language+film/intothewild/
Edited by tourdesb, Dec 1 2012, 09:04:18 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll combine this with the "Conquer the world challenge" so I'm in.

I'm not very sure what to count as entries but I think I'll be more strict with the rules.
I prefer to see movies with a strong connection to Africa and not movies that were just shot in Africa. So I'd rather count movies directed by African directors in Africa.
How about at least films that are listed on imdb or wiki as African? Most of these movies on your list 3eyes are listed as american etc. No real connection to Africa. For example Haiti is listed as one of the countries for Lumumba, so this should definitely count

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In.

Does Nacer Khemir's films count? They are featured torrents at KG.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086934/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101600/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395461/

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
I got a few in mind to watch, so will try to do so this month.

tourdesb
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes, thanks for creating this thread, totally forgot november was about to start.
I'll take over from now on.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
November is noir month, but I've been meaning to get into African film more seriously, so I'll probably watch a few and kick it up a notch in December.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Le franc (Senegal, 1994) 5/10

Haven't seen anything made in Western Africa before so I was not sure what to expect from this. It's a short and mostly sweet story about a man and his lottery ticket, but even at 45 minutes it does drag in places. The first ten or so minutes seem a little aimless and I don't get a good grasp of the landlady character. Music plays a big role, you could almost call this a music video. The ending location is beautiful.

Will probably watch some other Senegalese films for this month, including Touki Bouki from the same director, will be interesting to compare.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Thanks, Tourdesb.

Quote:

Does Nacer Khemir's films count? They are featured torrents at KG.

Lilacor, he's a Tunisian director, so he absolutely counts. We're not talking just South of the Sahara here.

While I'm about it, here's a list of (I think) echte African movies I've seen:

Spoiler: click to toggle

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lilarcor
Oct 31 2012, 10:23:42 PM
They should because now I want to see them. They seem to be right up my alley.

brokenface
Member Avatar
1. Touki Bouki (Mambéty, 1973, Senegal)

Visually, a very distinctive film, though I can't claim to have got what the film meant in a number of scenes. Felt like a surreal documentary at times, though there was a sort-of plot weaved through it.

Warning for the sensitive: some rather graphic animal slaughter shown.

It's free to watch on mubi (in UK version of the site, at least; don't know about elsewhere): http://mubi.com/films/touki-bouki/

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
I'm in passively (= no goal) -- there are 1-2 relevant films coming up in my queue, and I might get to them before the end of the month.

esiersdale
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'll definitely watch a couple

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This looks interesting! I'm in!

Innocuous Bird
Member Avatar
Power User
 *  *  * ]
African challenge, sure, count me in. I probably won't be a big competitor but there are a few films I already have downloaded.

Innocuous Bird
Member Avatar
Power User
 *  *  * ]
And a heads up, there some Ousmane Sembène films on Netflix Instant: Mandabi, Xala, and Black Girl.

Timec
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've got some Sembene films and Touki Bouki coming up in my Netflix queue, so I'll probably at least get to two or three this month.

WalterNeff
Member Avatar
Bunny Dostoevsky
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
will participate, no set goal

Innocuous Bird
Member Avatar
Power User
 *  *  * ]
01. Touki Bouki, 1973 - looks like this one was in all of our to-watch list, huh. :) Parts of Touki Bouki could be compared to the Nouvelle Vague, mainly in a sense of its sleek style and characters. And there also seemed to be a hint of surrealism. Includes a nice soundtrack.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'm in! I'll try to watch a few.

esiersdale
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
1. Yeelen (1987)

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Bab el hadid / Cairo Station (Egypt, 1958) 7/10

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
I'm in, but I expect to have a low total.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Bamako (Mali 06)
Extraordinary film by Mauritanian director Abderrahmane Sissako. A mock trial of the World Bank and related financial institutions detailing their neocolonialist effect on Mali and on Africa in general is interwoven with scenes of everyday life, a wedding, a funeral, and some startling music. I've never seen anything like it. Manages to be political and meditative at the same time. (I also recommend Sissako's Waiting for Happiness, set in Mauritania.)

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'll participate. I haven't watched anything yet because I lost power in the hurricane (I'm at the public library right now), but I'll probably get power back within a few days and then I'll start watching. I'll probably try to watch at least 15.

Innocuous Bird
Member Avatar
Power User
 *  *  * ]

02. Ali Zaoua: Prince of the Streets, 2000

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3. Samt el qusur / The Silences of the Palace (Tunisia, 1994) 8/10

Excellent melodrama by editor turned director Moufida Tlatli. At times brutal to watch. Wonderful music.

Edited by Lilarcor, Nov 4 2012, 07:29:46 AM.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Ivory Coast - Au nom du Christ (Roger Gnoan M'Bala) 1993 7/10

Very interesting movie about religion. The interpretation of the film is open, depending on one's own religious beliefs. Good direction and a great ending.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
2. Afrita hanem / The Genie Lady (Egypt 49)

Musical comedy showcasing a prominent (at the time) male singer and an equally prominent belly dancer. Modern use of Aladdin legend. Interesting to see an Arabic riff on a familiar American genre, the showbiz musical.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
4. Tilai / The Law (Burkina Faso, 1990) 7/10

A relatively unusual story of love. It's very interesting to see how "justice" is dealt with in this village in pre-colonial Burkina Faso. In this trust-based society it's easy to get away short term with a lie, if you are catched lying however it can have a much bigger price.

brokenface
Member Avatar
2. Yeelen (Cisse, 1987, Mali)

Edited by brokenface, Nov 5 2012, 05:59:29 PM.

esiersdale
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
2. Ceddo (1977)

Watched

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
5. Touki Bouki (Senegal, 1973) 7/10

Heavy symbolism aside, a much better effort by Mambéty compared to Le franc, which he made later in his career. Has some more locations around these gorgeous coastlines in this country, which obviously helps the camera, but the camerawork is impressive nonetheless throughout the movie. The editing left me a bit cold but it kept things interesting all the way. While I'm not completely sold on Mambéty's films so far, he's got an interesting vision so I'm definitely interested to check out Hyenas as well.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
1. Yeelen (Cisse 1987). Beautifully filmed story that does not follow the usual storylines (and is all the more interesting for that).
Edited by Knaldskalle, Nov 5 2012, 10:45:36 PM.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Democratic Republic of the Congo Kinshasa - Viva Riva ! (Djo Munga) 2010 7/10

Very well made film with an interesting plot. I'm impressed! If the plot was a bit more focused this could have been a great film.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
6. Camp de Thiaroye (Senegal, 1987) 8/10

Excellent war drama about a part of the Second World War I knew nothing about going into it. A must-see.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
7. Viva Riva! (Dem Rep of Congo, 2010) 4/10

Technically on par with similar movies from other countries but the plot is an absolute mess from the start. Paper-thin characters do not help. There is absolutely no tension in any scene and it seems like the writers ran out of ideas halfway through, when they had to deal with all the characters they introduced. Avoids the very worst cliches which saves it from a lower score for me, but still chalking this up as a dislike. That's the only way I'll be able to remember having seen this movie tomorrow anyway.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
3. U-Carmen e-Khayelitsha (S Afr 05)

A filmed version of Bizet's Carmen set in a South African township and sung in Xhosa. Not all the music from the opera - some dialog, some African music. The cultural "translation" was riveting. Pauline Malefane's Carmen has unusual depth and vulnerability.

Malefane was also co-translator, and in interviews she and the other translator both speak of the need to translate in such a way that the words don't interfere with the music -- something I appreciated, having done musical translation myself. (By contrast, the English lyrics of Carmen Jones show total insensitivity in that regard.)
Edited by 3eyes, Nov 7 2012, 03:44:00 AM.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lilarcor
Nov 7 2012, 12:01:41 AM
7. Viva Riva! (Dem Rep of Congo, 2010) 4/10

Technically on par with similar movies from other countries but the plot is an absolute mess from the start. Paper-thin characters do not help. There is absolutely no tension in any scene and it seems like the writers ran out of ideas halfway through, when they had to deal with all the characters they introduced. Avoids the very worst cliches which saves it from a lower score for me, but still chalking this up as a dislike. That's the only way I'll be able to remember having seen this movie tomorrow anyway.

Oh! That's harsh! There were some problems with the plot but as a whole I thought there weren't many flaws. To be honest if this was made in US I'd rate it a bit lower probably. I was impressed with what they did for a congolese film and I liked the movie in general

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
2. Touki Bouki (Mambety, 1973). This was good, if a little heavy-handed in its symbolism.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
4 La vie sur terre (Mali 98)
Life in an African village at the turn of the last millenium.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone