Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: 1983 (Results), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Du côté d'Orouët
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Russian challenge; December 2012
Topic Started: Nov 28 2012, 08:43:37 PM (3,328 Views)
Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's time to watch some Russian movies again! Last year I watched 40, not sure if I can manage the same amount this year, but I'll certainly try!

Same old rules:
- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- A total of 90 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- For Mini-Series (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.
- No rewatches

ICM lists:

http://www.icheckmovies.com/list/livejournal+russian+top+100/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/list/russian+guild+of+film+critics+-+best+russian+films/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/seances+best+russian+films/mjf314/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/nedelias+best+russian+films/mjf314/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/mestnyigerois+aka+local+heros+1000plus+quintessential+russian+movies/nopros/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/best+russian+movies+by+a+band+apart/orange3005/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/golden+100+of+russian+animation/mjf314/

The Mosfilm website offers a whole bunch of films free for streaming, many of them with English subtitles. Picture and audio quality-wise it's so-and-so, but it's far from bad.

Here's a random example (if for some reason it shows up in Russian you can adjust the language at the top right part of the site):
http://www.cinema.mosfilm.ru/Film.aspx?id=0e60105d-866b-4f29-a464-31fa445df3e5

If their site is too slow (sometimes is), they also have a YouTube channel, bit harder to navigate for foreigners though. But all movies that have English subs there have the English movie title behind the Russian one.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mosfilm/videos?view=0

Participants:
3eyes - 29
kingink - 29
ataraxick - 16
Nopros - 14
mjf314 - 12
Sir Plebeian - 7
aces - 3
Lilarcor - 3
Knaldskalle - 3
cinephage - 3
allisoncm - 2
rokp - 2
nimimerkillinen - 1
Local Hero -
esiersdale -
moviefreak-
Edited by Nopros, Dec 26 2012, 01:44:44 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I was very jealous of all the films you were watching last time, nopros! So many of them were films I've been wanting to see for years, but don't have access to (my computer can't handle something like KG; I watch most films on DVD or via TV).

I'll be up for it again next month, although I am extremely busy these days, so I probably won't get out of the single digits. :(

Pain
Member Avatar
Ronin
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nov 28 2012, 08:57:20 PM
my computer can't handle something like KG
I don't know what ancient computer you're using, but I used torrent on some really old ones and it worked fine. You should give it a try if you didn't do already or buy another computer, it's really worth it.

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Pain
Nov 28 2012, 09:06:45 PM
Nov 28 2012, 08:57:20 PM
my computer can't handle something like KG
I don't know what ancient computer you're using, but I used torrent on some really old ones and it worked fine. You should give it a try if you didn't do already or buy another computer, it's really worth it.
Thanks. The rest of the truth is that i don't really have the time to stop and figure it out. Eventually, i definitely will; there's too much of a benefit not to.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, you should really check out KG, Local Hero. I'll be glad to help you through it. :)

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Nopros
Nov 28 2012, 08:43:37 PM
It's time to watch some Russian movies again! Last year I watched 40, not sure if I can manage the same amount this year, but I'll certainly try!

Same old rules:
- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- A total of 90 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- For Mini-Series (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.
- No rewatches

ICM lists:

http://www.icheckmovies.com/list/livejournal+russian+top+100/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/list/russian+guild+of+film+critics+-+best+russian+films/
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/mestnyigerois+aka+local+heros+1000plus+quintessential+russian+movies/nopros/

Participants:
Nopros -
So it definitely doesn't have to be on an official list?

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As long as it's Russian, it's good! :)
Edited by Nopros, Nov 28 2012, 09:19:42 PM.

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Nopros
Nov 28 2012, 09:17:29 PM
Yeah, you should really check out KG, Local Hero. I'll be glad to help you through it. :)
Thanks! OK, I'll give it another try and maybe PM you if I have questions. :thumbsup:
Edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi, Nov 28 2012, 09:29:33 PM.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nov 28 2012, 09:29:07 PM
Nopros
Nov 28 2012, 09:17:29 PM
Thanks! OK, I'll give it another try and maybe PM you if I have questions. :thumbsup:
Great, good luck!

Sir Plebeian
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I would like to be in this one pleas, will be interesting!

aces
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'll participate and say 5 for a goal. If i have time I'll watch more.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
Damn, I'd promised myself a break from challenges, but this is too intriguing... Okay, I'll bite, but I expect a low total, 5 or so. I won't even have the end of the month to watch anything, I'll be visiting family over New Year's, so no Russki movies for me then.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll do the same as aces and Knaldskalle, in with a goal to watch 5. I've got like ten or so + a miniseries available, but unless friends and family want to watch them with me I doubt I'll be able to go through it for December. Besides the last free month of Netflix for Norwegians is next month and I've barely checked that out.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
I'm in. Looking forward to watching stuff on KG (Netflix doesn't have much that I haven't seen).
I'm hoping to make some serious inroads on the Russian Guild of Film Critics list (have 25 to go for a bronze).

Been reading Bulgakov (his stuff wasn't available when I was studying Russian lit in the early 60s). Have seen The Master and Margarita, Ivan Vasilyevich: Back to the Future and The Fatal Eggs, looking forward to Beg (Flight) and Heart of a Dog.
Edited by 3eyes, Nov 29 2012, 04:26:52 AM.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Many are probably aware of this but it's worth putting in the OP anyway as a reminder: The Mosfilm website offers a whole bunch of films free for streaming, many of them with English subtitles. Picture and audio quality-wise it's so-and-so, but it's far from bad.

Here's a random example (if for some reason it shows up in Russian you can adjust the language at the top right part of the site):

If their site is too slow (sometimes is), they also have a YouTube channel, bit harder to navigate for foreigners though. But all movies that have English subs there have the English movie title behind the Russian one.

edit: Working on an ICM list for this
Edited by Lilarcor, Nov 29 2012, 09:43:32 AM.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Updated the OP with Lilarcors information.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's done (I think):
http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/movies+on+mosfilm.ru+free+for+streaming+with+english+subtitles/lilarcor/

esiersdale
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm in with a goal of 6, just to be obnoxious

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Thanks for the Mosfilm links, Lilarcor! Had seen some links to individual films on ICM, but couldn't figure out about the English subtitles.

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well I'm working on UNESCO list at the moment so for this challenge I might try to finish the films from Ukraine and maybe try to find something from Kazakhstan (those count right?).

Link for the Ukraine films from the UNESCO list: http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/unesco+-+ukraine/moviefreak/
Edited by jeroeno, Nov 29 2012, 04:16:32 PM.

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
3eyes
Nov 29 2012, 04:16:58 AM
I'm in. Looking forward to watching stuff on KG (Netflix doesn't have much that I haven't seen).
I'm hoping to make some serious inroads on the Russian Guild of Film Critics list (have 25 to go for a bronze).

Been reading Bulgakov (his stuff wasn't available when I was studying Russian lit in the early 60s). Have seen The Master and Margarita, Ivan Vasilyevich: Back to the Future and The Fatal Eggs, looking forward to Beg (Flight) and Heart of a Dog.
There are interesting film versions of all of those. (Not suggestioning the film as substitute, of course, but as a follow-up.)

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Lilarcor
Nov 29 2012, 09:29:04 AM
Many are probably aware of this but it's worth putting in the OP anyway as a reminder: The Mosfilm website offers a whole bunch of films free for streaming, many of them with English subtitles. Picture and audio quality-wise it's so-and-so, but it's far from bad.

edit: Working on an ICM list for this
Definitely worth re-mentioning! It's a good site with a lot of good, free choices. I watched on old Russian classic rom-com, Devchata, from that site.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Nov 29 2012, 05:55:02 PM
3eyes

There are interesting film versions of all of those. (Not suggestioning the film as substitute, of course, but as a follow-up.)
Yes, I mean I've read all of them in translation (except I can't find an English translation of Ivan Vasilyevich) and have seen the films of the first three, intend to watch the other two.

Do non-Russian film versions of Russian literature count? Things like the Taviani brothers' take on Otets Sergei (Il sole anche di notte), Visconti's Le notti bianche, or the lastest incarnation of Anna Karenina?

Edited by 3eyes, Nov 30 2012, 04:17:16 AM.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
3eyes

I read Master and Margarita last year. I wish I could say I loved it, but I felt like I missed way too many references and digs at the system, even with the extensive annotations. Still, not a bad book.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes
Nov 30 2012, 04:11:21 AM
Do non-Russian film versions of Russian literature count? Things like the Taviani brothers' take on Otets Sergei (Il sole anche di notte), Visconti's Le notti bianche, or the lastest incarnation of Anna Karenina?

I would say no. But if you thinks it goes as Russian, you should count them for the challenge. :)

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. Maybe this challenge will force me to finally watch "Voyna i mir" 1967

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Nopros
Nov 30 2012, 07:10:44 AM
3eyes
Nov 30 2012, 04:11:21 AM

I would say no. But if you thinks it goes as Russian, you should count them for the challenge. :)
Nopros, for myself I agree. Just wanted to raise the question.

They won't get you any ICM points, but I've seen filmed opera productions of Prokofiev's War and Peace and The Gambler (Dostoevsky) and Shostakovich's Lady MacBeth of Mtsensk (Leskov). Just in case there are any modern opera buffs out there. (Sorry, letting my enthusiasm run away with me.)

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Knaldskalle
Nov 30 2012, 06:04:47 AM
3eyes

I read Master and Margarita last year. I wish I could say I loved it, but I felt like I missed way too many references and digs at the system, even with the extensive annotations. Still, not a bad book.
Knaldskalle, I heartily recommend the miniseries - Netflix has it in the US, dunno about Norway.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'm in. There is a Russian film playing at the cinema next week, so I will see at least one. Obviously I will try to see more if possible.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'll participate.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Let's get started then.

1. Of freaks and men - Aleksey Balabanov 1998 7/10

It started in a great way but it was lost towards the end. Despite that, it is a strangely captivating and very interesting movie that can work in many different levels

nimimerkillinen
Member Avatar
Polar Beard
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Balabanov - Brat (Brother) 1997

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Entuziazm: Simfoniya Donbassa (USSR 31)
Vertov's first sound film - he tries montage with sound as well as visuals.

2. Neotpravlennoye pismo.The unsent letter (USSR 59/60)
Kalatozov's next film after The Cranes are Flying - set in Siberia, astonishing cinematography.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. The Humpbacked Horse (1947)

Edit: Btw I added the Golden 100 of Russian Animation list and the A Band Apart list to the first post. I might add the Nedelia list to iCM sometime in the next few days.
Edited by mjf314, Dec 2 2012, 06:50:29 AM.

Sir Plebeian
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Idi i smotri (1985)

Well, that was an intense way to kick this challenge off…was not expecting that at all. I am speechless at this moment to be honest.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'm thinking of watching Alexander Nevsky for this challenge and I noticed there's a DVD version and an LD version. Which one should I watch? According to the comments the LD version has much better sound quality, and I'm guessing the DVD version has better video quality but I'm not sure. The LD version seems like the obvious choice but the DVD version has more downloads so maybe I'm missing something.
Edited by mjf314, Dec 2 2012, 07:38:02 AM.

Pain
Member Avatar
Ronin
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mjf314
Dec 2 2012, 07:32:07 AM
I'm thinking of watching Alexander Nevsky for this challenge and I noticed there's a DVD version and an LD version. Which one should I watch? According to the comments the LD version has better much better sound quality, and I'm guessing the DVD version has better video quality but I'm not sure. The LD version seems like the obvious choice but the DVD version has more downloads so maybe I'm missing something.
I have the criterion DVD and watched a couple of times, never noticed anything bad with it, but I didn't know about the LD version.

Pain
Member Avatar
Ronin
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
From the KG page, they say that the LD has the original soundtrack while the DVD has a new one.

Some KG comments:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Edited by Pain, Dec 2 2012, 07:40:41 AM.

Pain
Member Avatar
Ronin
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I guess a rewatch is necessary now...

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sir Plebeian
Dec 2 2012, 07:10:07 AM
1. Idi i smotri (1985)

Well, that was an intense way to kick this challenge off…was not expecting that at all. I am speechless at this moment to be honest.
I really love this film and I wish I could unwatch it just to have this surprising and intense feeling again :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone