Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: La perla
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Unesco Challenge; November 2013
Topic Started: Oct 27 2013, 08:00:03 AM (5,995 Views)
joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Unesco Challenge

Posted Image

Goal:

Watch as many movies from the Unesco list as you can.

Rules:

- A feature film (anything over 45 minutes) counts as one entry.
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- For Mini-Series (45 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes, the 60 minute rule applies.
- Rewatches allowed (although I don't see the point, because everyone has enough unwatched titles on this list :P ).

Challenge runs from 1 November 2013 - 30 November 2013.

ICM-lists:

UNESCO's Memory of the World: National Cinematic Heritage

UNESCO: Available online (with English subs if necessary)

UNESCO: Available online (non-English titles without subs)

UNESCO: Not available online

Participants:
joachimt - 65
Jerome St-Jacques - 48
allisoncm - 44
mjf314 - 41
kingink - 22
Knaldskalle - 11
esiersdale - 7
cocoa - 6
armoreska - 5
andreischz - 4
cinephage - 4
SeanMX12 - 1
funkybusiness - 1
metaller - 0
sushantv10 - 0
Edited by joachimt, Dec 1 2013, 07:05:32 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Of course I'm in myself.

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
I'll try to watch a few. Count me in.

sushantv10
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Will watch a few. I am in
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'm in.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Me too.

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
Good luck to all.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
monty
Oct 27 2013, 03:29:57 PM
Good luck to all.
You're not going for bronze? tehe

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
allisoncm
Oct 27 2013, 03:38:34 PM
monty
Oct 27 2013, 03:29:57 PM
Good luck to all.
You're not going for bronze? tehe
As of today, I have a 24 per cent completion rate for this list. I cannot picture myself ever attaining a UNESCO bronze. I think The Guys should institute a new award instead - the UNESCO zinc award for 25 per cent completion.
Edited by monty, Oct 27 2013, 03:51:10 PM.

SeanMX12
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. I'll shoot for 15.

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
zinc award, great idea! Good luck all, I have too much going on with noir, 1001 movies and award challenges!

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
I'm in. I don't expect to watch a lot, but I really like this list so I'll do what I can to "support" it.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
SeanMX12
Oct 27 2013, 03:57:11 PM
I'm in. I'll shoot for 15.
To be honest, I wasn't expecting you to join this one. This list is pretty far from your regular watching habits. Nice of you to join! :thumbsup:

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My focus will the on Film Noir next month, but I'll try to squeeze in a few from this list. Aiming roughly at 10 titles.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'm in. My goal is to be ranked higher than Joachim on this list by the end of the month.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
mjf314
Oct 27 2013, 08:22:26 PM
I'm in. My goal is to be ranked higher than Joachim on this list by the end of the month.
:lol:
Great goal! I'm 4 checks ahead of you, so it is possible. On the other hand, I plan to win this challenge, so you won't get me coming month.
:run:

esiersdale
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Count me in as well

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll play your little game. My goal will probably be to give all my KG-ratio to joachim :ph43r: :lol:

Posted Image

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Jerome St-Jacques
Oct 28 2013, 04:58:36 PM
I'll play your little game. My goal will probably be to give all my KG-ratio to joachim :ph43r: :lol:
Indeed, you can't do a proper Unesco-challenge without spending a lot of KG-ratio. I'll try to seed as much as possible. :thumbsup:

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
joachimt
Oct 27 2013, 08:31:10 PM
mjf314
Great goal! I'm 4 checks ahead of you, so it is possible. On the other hand, I plan to win this challenge, so you won't get me coming month.
If mjf314 starts watching the UNESCO films now, he may have a fair chance. :teehee:

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
allisoncm
Oct 28 2013, 06:31:18 PM
joachimt
Oct 27 2013, 08:31:10 PM
mjf314
If mjf314 starts watching the UNESCO films now, he may have a fair chance. :teehee:
I watched an Unesco title today. :)

schwrz
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I'm in.

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Let's get this party started, shall we?

1. Ukamau (Bolivia, 1966) 9/10 :thumbsup:

Nothing quite new as far as the story goes but the visuals are beyond beautiful at times. An instant favorite for me.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
1. Koinoniki sapila (1932)

Hard to judge a movie with such a bad quality. You have to pause each intertitle to try to read. The image is terrible, so don't watch it full screen. I've got a 15"screen and half-screen was already too big. The story was interesting, so still an enjoyable movie. 7/10

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Sanatorium Pod Klepsydra (Poland, 1973) 7/10

Like a Polish Terry Gilliam flick. Liked it but perhaps my expectations were too high.

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3. Gibel Otrara (Kazakhstan, 1991)

This is one of those films that deserve a good Criterion/MoC release. It has a couple of great scenes which I can't fully enjoy due to the poor cropping and the awful Russian(?) dubbing. The custom subtitles on KG aren't that good either. Perhaps the Martin Scorsese foundation should get on this.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Jerome St-Jacques
Nov 1 2013, 01:46:50 PM

This is one of those films that deserve a good Criterion/MoC release. It has a couple of great scenes which I can't fully enjoy due to the poor cropping and the awful Russian(?) dubbing. The custom subtitles on KG aren't that good either. Perhaps the Martin Scorsese foundation should get on this.
Custom subs? I thought the subs were just taken from the hardsubbed DVD.

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Nov 1 2013, 02:08:15 PM
Jerome St-Jacques

Ah now I see. I went with the smaller file because I thought it was a rip of the DVD but it isn't. Appearantly there are some scenes cut out of the smaller file and the full DVD doesn't have the Russian dub. Damnit, I listened to a Russian translator for 150 minutes :down:
However the smaller file has better image quality. Oh well.

As for the subtitles, at times they weren't synced or they just weren't there at all. Not for long but still enough to put me off.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Jerome St-Jacques
Nov 1 2013, 02:21:39 PM
joachimt
Jerome St-Jacques

Ah now I see. I went with the smaller file because I thought it was a rip of the DVD but it isn't. Appearantly there are some scenes cut out of the smaller file and the full DVD doesn't have the Russian dub. Damnit, I listened to a Russian translator for 150 minutes :down:

As for the subtitles, at times they weren't synced or they just weren't there at all. Not for long but still enough to put me off.
A shame you got the wrong version. :(
If anyone else wants the hardsubbed version, I made a rip of it. I can put it on wetransfer.

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They have some screenshots of the full version on PtP and they look appalling at best. I honestly rather have the Russian dubber with the much much much better quality.
Edited by jeroeno, Nov 1 2013, 02:36:49 PM.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Nov 1 2013, 02:31:29 PM
Jerome St-Jacques
joachimt
Jerome St-Jacques

If anyone else wants the hardsubbed version, I made a rip of it. I can put it on wetransfer.
:nod: Please...

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
kingink
Nov 1 2013, 02:56:08 PM
joachimt
Nov 1 2013, 02:31:29 PM
Jerome St-Jacques
joachimt
Jerome St-Jacques

:nod: Please...
Will do it later today.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Time to start this challenge I guess.

1. O Bandido da Luz Vermelha - Rogerio Sganzerla 1968 6/10

It started in a very interesting and cool way. It's a typical but good example of the 60's underground cinema that tried to redefine everything. I can see why it's considered a very influential film for Brazil. Unfortunately after the first half of the film that constant voice-over started to get a bit tiresome and the film was losing it's rhythm. It kept my interest till the end though so I could say that it's a good film overall. Nevertheless, I can't seem to be able to order my hand to rate it with a 7. I wish I could but I can't.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
2. O magos tis Athinas (1931)

Again a terrible quality, but it's the only version available. But unfortunately the movie wasn't that good either. It was much too random to me. It started as a love story, then we get some historical images, back to love story, some crime, some mystery. Some jumps in the story went so quick I was wondering if it skipped a year, but I guess it wasn't. It had some nice scenes and it kept me wondering what was coming next, but it wasn't satisfactory. 5/10

Kingink, thanks again for the subs! :thumbsup:

Spoiler: click to toggle

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You're welcome!
Yes, I agree it was a bit random at times, but it seems that I enjoyed it more than you did. It's not a very good movie, but I I thought it was somewhat better than just OK.

And since you're watching the Greek ones, I have a gift for you. It's not ready yet. But it will be maybe even tomorrow. Can you guess?

Yes. It's subs for O agapitikos tis voskopoulas. Only ten more minutes to sub are left and then I'll post them. I'm not quite in the mood today for subbing so I think maybe tomorrow.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
kingink
Nov 1 2013, 03:14:48 PM
Yes. It's subs for O agapitikos tis voskopoulas. Only ten more minutes to sub are left and then I'll post them. I'm not quite in the mood today for subbing so I think maybe tomorrow.
You'll be my hero of the day tomorrow! :worship:

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
4. Evdokia (Greece, 1971) 6/10

Not sure what to make of this. Couple of nice touches but overall not very convincing (especially the guy who plays Yorgios, boy he was bad).

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Nov 1 2013, 03:26:44 PM
kingink
Nov 1 2013, 03:14:48 PM
You'll be my hero of the day tomorrow! :worship:
I second this :thumbsup: :worship:

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Jerome St-Jacques
Nov 1 2013, 03:32:19 PM

Not sure what to make of this. Couple of nice touches but overall not very convincing (especially the guy who plays Yorgios, boy he was bad).
Is this your regular watching speed? :satstunned:
You've watched over 7 hours already today and it's only half past four in the afternoon.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Nov 1 2013, 03:38:18 PM
Jerome St-Jacques
Nov 1 2013, 03:32:19 PM

Is this your regular watching speed? :satstunned:
You've watched over 7 hours already today and it's only half past four in the afternoon.
You can't be the # 12 on ICM otherwise Joachim.
This is why we'll never be there B)

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone