Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Canadian Challenge (Official); June 2014
Topic Started: May 31 2014, 06:06:30 PM (2,081 Views)
HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Goal:

Watch as many films from the Great White North as possible!

Rules:

- Rewatches allowed and encouraged
- A feature film (Anything 40 minutes or over) counts as one entry
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes, the 60 minute rule applies

Challenge runs from June 1st, 2014 to June 30th, 2014

Official iCM Lists:

Top 100 Canadian Films
UNESCO's Memory of the World: National Cinematic Heritage (101-113)

Dual Challenge List:

The Canadian Cult

Participants:

3eyes - 1
allisoncm - 1
ArthurYanthar - 4
cinephage - 1
clemmetarey
Fergenaprido - 4
Gershwin
HVM - 9
Melvelet
mjf314 - 2
ryebass - 35
zuma - 23
Edited by HVM, Jul 1 2014, 05:07:38 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

I'll be in for a few films.

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Count me in as well.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
HVM hosting a challenge? That might be a country challenge I'd like to join. Not sure how far I'll get, but count me in anyhow.

Melvelet
Member Avatar
À la recherche du temps perdu...
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll aim for 5. Cronenberg, Maddin, Egoyan, ...I've plenty to watch.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

1. La région centrale [The Central Region] (1971) - 6/10

A really eerie film especially because of all the bleeps and bloops. It is too long though. Maybe I'll rewatch Wavelength.

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

Are Canadian directors who work in Hollywood ok for this challenge? I am thinking of Norman Jewison's Fiddler on the Roof.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_films

I may only watch one (unless I rewatch some - have some faves I can't find anywhere). But I guess you can put me on the list.

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I will try and watch a few canadian movies this month...

01 - Maps to the Stars, by David Cronenberg (2014) 4,5/10

Not too impressed by this one. The Hollywood satire is not original, and the characters did not appeal to me.

ryebass
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
In please.

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

01. Life Classes (William D. MacGillivray, 1988) 4/10

02. The Far Shore (Joyce Wieland, 1976) 5/10 -I have camped in the area where this was filmed.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
zuma
Jun 1 2014, 09:18:05 PM
Are Canadian directors who work in Hollywood ok for this challenge? I am thinking of Norman Jewison's Fiddler on the Roof.
I don't know.

Spoiler: click to toggle

ryebass
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
01. Pontypool (Bruce McDonald, 2008) 6/10 - I liked the first half of this quite a bit; I'm a huge classic radio drama buff and this is clearly a loving nod to the medium with its unique ability to create tension sans visual cues, but the thing turns too formal, almost grind-house by the end of it. Also, I feel like there is an attempt at the profound here that maybe I didn't quite 'get' (several references to Norman Mailer, whose work I'm sadly not familiar with yet). Interesting concept with ultimately unrealized potential.
Edited by ryebass, Jun 2 2014, 06:21:24 PM.

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et à jamais...
I just got wind that the Québéquois want a separate challenge and refuse to be counted here.

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kasparius
Jun 2 2014, 06:23:09 PM
I just got wind that the Québéquois want a separate challenge and refuse to be counted here.

You have insider info?

...that would not leave many films for the Canadian challenge. ;)

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et à jamais...
zuma
Jun 2 2014, 06:33:53 PM
Kasparius
Jun 2 2014, 06:23:09 PM

You have insider info?

...that would not leave many films for the Canadian challenge. ;)

We could just watch The Grey Fox on a loop, it will be better than anything else we watch anyway.

Dolwphin
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
ArthurYanthar
Jun 1 2014, 03:28:18 PM

A really eerie film especially because of all the bleeps and bloops. It is too long though. Maybe I'll rewatch Wavelength.
Haters gonna hate.

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et à jamais...
ArthurYanthar
Jun 1 2014, 03:28:18 PM

A really eerie film especially because of all the bleeps and bloops. It is way too fucking long though!!! Maybe I'll rewatch Wavelength.
I fixed that for you

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I adore Canadian films. Their movies are interesting even when they're essentially bad.

To name a few: "Pin", Julian Roffman's "The Mask", "The Pit"... they're musts for all weird cinema fans. And of course The Dog Who Stopped the War" from Quebec. :thumbsup:
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Jun 3 2014, 01:14:11 AM.

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

03. Stardom (Denys Arcand, 2000) 4/10

- Maybe should have rated this lower. At times it was extremely hackneyed.

04. The Ernie Game (Don Owen, 1967) 6/10

- In competition at Berlin and the winner of the Canadian Film Award in 1967, yet I am the first person to have checked it on ICM.
The film has a hard time with the actors and loses it's way in near the end. It does manage to present a convincing view of a person with mental issues and the frustration of those who try to help and understand.

Watched

Kasparius
Member Avatar
Et à jamais...
Oh god Stardom, so bad... Saw it at a film festival when it came out, it was terrible. Even Jessica Paré's cuteness doesn't make up for it.

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kasparius
Jun 3 2014, 02:09:47 PM
Oh god Stardom, so bad... Saw it at a film festival when it came out, it was terrible. Even Jessica Paré's cuteness doesn't make up for it.

Her appearance gets half my rating.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in, please.

The Grey Fox! I've been looking for that everywhere, but to no avail.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ryebass
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
2. Mon Oncle Antoine (Claude Jutra, 1971) 7/10 - Interesting setting, a few strange pieces of jarring camera work (meant to be dramatic I suppose) and some music that felt equally out of place at times (not the violin jig stuff but the dark broody drum thing). I hate to admit this but have some trouble understanding how this is to many the single greatest Canadian film of all time, even taken in the historical context etc.

3. The Dirties (Matt Johnson, 2013) 7/10 - Fun movie-junkie's movie with a plot that is likely to be offensive to some; not sure it worked entirely but enjoyed the ride...closing credits alone were worth the view.

4. Atlantic City (Louis Malle, 1980) 7/10 - Enjoyed this. Lancaster feels a bit stiff at times; don't understand the romance with Sarandon precisely, better off not trying to think this one out.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. The Hart of London (1970) 5/10
2. My Winnipeg (2007) 7/10

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
1. Outrageous! (1977) 5/10 Kind of a low-budget, semi-ok story about a Canadian drag queen that wants to make it big.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq3KlxwV4_8
Edited by allisoncm, Jun 4 2014, 03:49:51 PM.

ryebass
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
5.1 Wavelength (Michael Snow, 1967)
5.2 Heart of the World (Guy Maddin, 2000)
5.3 Neighbours (Norman Mclaren, 1952)
5.4 Begone Dull Care (Norman Mclaren, 1949)

- don't know how shorts are supposed to be listed...these come out to a bit over 60 minutes as per the rules. Enjoyed Heart of the World - major coolness factor and music was intense. Wavelength was...well...similar to sitting through a (not particularly interesting) lecture and certainly had my girlfriend questioning my judgement. Neighbours was very clever and poignant in a quirky manner. Begone Dull Care is what it is, trippy visuals set to and influenced by a jazz soundtrack.

6. Exotica (Atom Egoyan, 1994) 7/10 - cerebral psych drama, plot weak in a few places, but stayed interested throughout and great performances from cast.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
3. <---> (1969) 2/10
4. No Skin Off My Ass (1993) 4/10

@ryebass: you're doing it just fine

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
05. The Champions, Part 1: Unlikely Warriors (Donald Brittain, 1986) 6/10
06. The Champions, Part 2: Trappings of Power (Donald Brittain, 1986) 6/10

- The first two parts of a three part documentary series (I have no idea why the third part is not in the Official Canada list) was surprisingly captivating considering the dry subject material.

07. Spider (David Cronenberg, 2002) 7/10

- Nothing special, but solid.

Watched

Ryebass, you could have counted Wavelength as a film by itself as it is over 40 minutes.

Edited by zuma, Jun 5 2014, 02:49:01 PM.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
5. Mon oncle Antoine (1971) 6,5/10
6. Careful (1992) 5/10

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

2. Back to God's Country (1919) - 5/10
3. Gambling, Gods and LSD (2002) - 5/10 Good but a quite disappointing essay film, and it seems like I'm the only user in RYM that wasn't head over heels with this film. I loved the experimental techniques he used, and some shots were just stunning. There was one shot that I fell in love with with a woman lying naked looking away from the camera with the same tattoo as in that Ingre's Violin photo by Man Ray. The footage was being played backwards, and you see a recently demolished building repair itself in the distance.

Other than the awesome trippy moments, this wasn't really beyond a bland talking heads style doc. Some of the content was quite interesting, but other than this felt a lot longer than La region central, with this also being 3 hours.

Edited by XxXApathy420XxX, Jun 6 2014, 02:19:04 AM.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

4. Kamouraska (1973) - 9/10 What's up with Canadian films and being 3 hours long!? I hated the first 10 minutes of this with the voice over narration, but as soon as the flashback starts this was a masterpiece.

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ArthurYanthar
Jun 7 2014, 11:40:57 PM
4. Kamouraska (1973) - 9/10 What's up with Canadian films and being 3 hours long!? I hated the first 10 minutes of this with the voice over narration, but as soon as the flashback starts this was a masterpiece.

Glad to see you watched the three hour version. I have not seen it yet, but I was strongly advised to watch it over the 2 hour version which is also available from Elephant. And obviously the hacked to shit 90 minute version should be avoided at all costs.

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

I seem to remember the studio battle over the film and the panned theatrical release of the edited version being discussed in the documentary "Claude Jutra - An Unfinished Life". But I saw it many years ago, so I could be wrong. Worth seeing in any case.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Yea I might see that doc eventually. The restoration for this film was fantastic. You don't need to buy it from elephant though. Just gimme like 30 minutes and it'll be available in... another source.

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ArthurYanthar
Jun 8 2014, 12:07:32 AM
Yea I might see that doc eventually. The restoration for this film was fantastic. You don't need to buy it from elephant though. Just gimme like 30 minutes and it'll be available in... another source.
:thumbsup:

ryebass
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
7. Jesus of Montreal (Denys Arcand,1989) 7/10

I was invested in the first 3/4 of this film and felt it took an abrupt and needlessly cornball turn to the wacky and melodramatic to complete the plot trajectory...love the concept not entirely satisfied with its implementation. Lothaire Bluteau turns in a strong performance and was pleasantly surprised when I looked him up to see what else I had seen him in: in The Tudors he is the french ambassador in a few of the latter seasons. Also, watched this on youtube, and let it be known that one version on youtube has decent english the subs, the other not so much (think OCR software or google translate).

Edited by ryebass, Jun 8 2014, 04:23:22 PM.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Adoration (2008) dir. Atom Egoyan - I had started this about 6 months ago, but just couldn't get more than a third of the way through. Finally got to it on a train ride today and managed to finish it. Much better second half than first, but it still feels like a hot mess. I usually like to wait about 24 hours before rating a film, but this will likely rate around 7.2
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Anyone know anything about Tit Coq? Seems decent but not sure if it's gonna be worth seeing or not.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone