Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Horror Challenge; October 2014
Topic Started: Sep 26 2014, 05:46:48 AM (19,512 Views)
mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Horror Challenge
Posted Image

Goal:
Watch as many movies as you can that fit into the horror genre. If you are in doubt whether a movie counts or not, just ask. If that film is Sound of Music IT IS NOT A HORROR FILM FFS.

Rules:
- A feature film (Anything over 45 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series/TV series (45 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series/TV series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 60 minute rule applies.
- Rewatches allowed.

Challenge runs from 1 October 2014 DUSK 30 September 2014 - 31 October 2014.

iCM Lists:
Top 500 Horror Movies
IMDb Top 50 Horror

Other Lists:
iCM Forum's Top 500 Favourite Horror Films
They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?

Too lazy to add any more, they'll have to do.

Participants:
1. mightysparks - 84
2. daviddoes - 77
3. sennaho - 65
4. VincentPrice - 62
5. jeroeno - 60
6. kierkegaardian - 53
7. flavo5000 - 51
8. klaus78 - 48
9. kingink - 46
10. Cocoa - 41
11. jajusu - 38
12. 1SO - 36
13. zuma - 33
14. Mochard - 31
15. sebby - 30
16. frbrown - 29
17. allisoncm - 26
18. ChrisReynolds - 25
19. Eva_L - 24
20. hiimstacey - 22
21. ororama - 20
22. cinephage - 19
23. tomelce - 16
23. ryebass - 16
23. jgwr - 16
26. metaller - 15
27. Marazmatique - 13
28. Leopardi - 11
29. Kowry - 9
29. SkilledLunatic - 9
31. Wise Jake - 7
31. jonas2k - 7
33. Nuclearplanet - 6
33. Carmel98 - 6
33. Lonewolf2003 - 6
36. Cippenham - 5
37. melvelet - 4
37. funkybusiness - 4
39. edkrak - 3
39. Knaldskalle - 3
39. perceval - 3
42. Sir Plebeian - 2
42. Gonzalito199 - 2
42. jvv - 2
45. Run4thetop - 1
46. Rigters -
46. Wonderful Rainbow -
Edited by mightysparks, Oct 16 2014, 03:09:38 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Since we're all getting ants in our pants, thought I'd go ahead and make the thread for it :whistling: I changed the start time to dusk September 30, which is as early as I'm willing to start it. Now we just have to wait...

SkilledLunatic
Member Avatar
Lt-General Insomniac
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. All About Eve (1950). 9/10.
Eve is the scariest monster I've ever seen. I'm scared shitless.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marazmatique
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'll be participating this year.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh! It will start soon enough!
I give you 2 high-fives for starting the thread
Posted Image

Kowry
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Also interested in checking out some James Franco. Any suggestions? Count Dracula could be interesting, it has Kinski and I remember Christopher Lee saying that it's his favorite Dracula adaptation of the ones he did.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Kowry
Sep 26 2014, 08:10:05 AM
Also interested in checking out some James Franco. Any suggestions? Count Dracula could be interesting, it has Kinski and I remember Christopher Lee saying that it's his favorite Dracula adaptation of the ones he did.
James Franco tehe I don't really like his films, but I didn't mind Faceless.

Kowry
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
mightysparks
Sep 26 2014, 08:12:30 AM
Kowry
:facepalm: Yes, I did mean Jesus, not James.

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
Kowry
Sep 26 2014, 08:57:42 AM
mightysparks
Sep 26 2014, 08:12:30 AM
Kowry
:facepalm: Yes, I did mean Jesus, not James.
I think you mean our Lord and Savior James Franco.

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Of course I'm in :D

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In

hiimstacey
Member Avatar
something witty
 *  * ]
I've been waiting for this - in :) ! Setting a target of 20 because I'm pretty busy this month.

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
I'll have to go back and double-check, but I think my highest total for this challenge was 68 58 films, so I'll try to eclipse that this year.
Edited by sebby, Sep 26 2014, 03:56:11 PM.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Still need some horror movies for the film genre challenge, so I might try for those.

ChrisReynolds
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Reposting my list of goals from the Horror Lounge. Last year I had a score of 77. I won't beat that but I'll try to get at least 40.

List of goals
TargetListChecks requiredChecks so far
PLATINUMIMDb Horror10
GOLDTop 500 Horror Movies230
SILVERBadmovies.org Best B-Movies130
TOP 50 RANKTotal Film's 50 Amazing Films You've Probably Never Seen30
Edited by ChrisReynolds, Sep 29 2014, 03:29:58 AM.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
I wish DVDTalk would hurry up with their checklist already :( They just finalised their 'film of the day' thing, so it's running behind schedule. I haven't been able to plan or acquire anything yet. Every year I try to complete their theme nights and checklist, so apart from that I want to increase my checks on TSZDT. I've seen 892 of the current list and would like to get to 950. I might watch a bit from Badmovies and Total Film as well.

sennaho
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'm so in! Have been looking forward to this for some time now! I will try to get to Platinum on the Horror list and watch movies from 500 horror movies. Will check out B-movies and Total Film lists as well and see if there is anything I should add.
Will be hard to wait until tuesday evening to start ;) Thanks for making the thread!

sennaho
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
mightysparks
Sep 26 2014, 04:04:09 PM
I wish DVDTalk would hurry up with their checklist already :( They just finalised their 'film of the day' thing, so it's running behind schedule. I haven't been able to plan or acquire anything yet. Every year I try to complete their theme nights and checklist, so apart from that I want to increase my checks on TSZDT. I've seen 892 of the current list and would like to get to 950. I might watch a bit from Badmovies and Total Film as well.
I tried to understand the challenge on that site, but I couldn't really wrap my head around it :P I might just be stupid, but it was so much information here and there. Would like to understand it, cause it looked like a cool challenge!

PGonzalez
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
In! Been meaning to enter a non-ongoing challenge for a while, this one looks great (though I probably won't get past half a dozen, tests/exams are a bitch)

mightysparks
Member Avatar
sennaho
Sep 26 2014, 04:36:07 PM
mightysparks
I tried to understand the challenge on that site, but I couldn't really wrap my head around it :P I might just be stupid, but it was so much information here and there. Would like to understand it, cause it looked like a cool challenge!
It's pretty simple (but yeah they make a big show of it :P ). Basically it's the same as this one, with the ultimate goal to reach 100 horror movies in a month. You keep a post in the list thread, for example mine is here, where you keep a numbered list of all the films you watch. They also make up an optional checklist, theme night and corresponding film of the day to each theme night. I like following this coz it forces me to watch films I might not otherwise watch. You also get put into a random prize draw for different categories depending on what you've completed and you can win a prize (I won a DVD of Christmas Evil one year). But at the end of the day, it's literally just keeping a list of all the horror films you watch in October. I didn't participate much on the forum the first time, but all of them are pretty major horror fans so it can be fun just discussing horror with so many horror fans.

sennaho
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
mightysparks
Sep 26 2014, 04:51:36 PM
sennaho
Sep 26 2014, 04:36:07 PM
mightysparks
It's pretty simple (but yeah they make a big show of it :P ). Basically it's the same as this one, with the ultimate goal to reach 100 horror movies in a month. You keep a post in the list thread, for example mine is here, where you keep a numbered list of all the films you watch. They also make up an optional checklist, theme night and corresponding film of the day to each theme night. I like following this coz it forces me to watch films I might not otherwise watch. You also get put into a random prize draw for different categories depending on what you've completed and you can win a prize (I won a DVD of Christmas Evil one year). But at the end of the day, it's literally just keeping a list of all the horror films you watch in October. I didn't participate much on the forum the first time, but all of them are pretty major horror fans so it can be fun just discussing horror with so many horror fans.
That sounds sweet!

Could you PM me some info about the Checklist and Theme Nights? Sorry to ask, just couldn't wrap my head around it. I feel stupid, but I guess it's better to ask than to remain stupid ;) Thank you so much!

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
4 days and counting, can't wait. No specific goals besides watching a shit ton of Horror movies and enjoying every second of it.

Daviddoes
Member Avatar
I didn't sign up for a second degree assault party
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I am in and my goal is to hit the 100 film mark again after failing at it last year.

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'd like to think I'll manage around 100 but I'll be busier with work this year than I was last year (although my total dropped off when I moved house last October anyway) so that's a tad ambitious. Will try for at least two films a day in any case.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
I'm in. I'm aiming for a low total this year, I've got some other stuff happening this month. Goal: 5.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'm in, of course.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm already unofficially in anyway. Watched fatal attraction and the keep today. I'll just start keeping count sept. 30. :D

Run4thetop
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Im In :-) Time is of the essence, and I have limited of It, but ill try to hang on. Going to use Top 500 horror as waypoint :-)

mightysparks
Member Avatar
From the DVDTalk 31 film subset list:

Posted Image

:turned:

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
Ok count me in, I will try to watch a few on lists I follow or recorded on TV.

Nuclearplanet
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Joining this year, love horror movies.

Wonderful Rainbow
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'm in!

Leopardi
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in, but I've done a very stupid thing and booked a trip starting October 18th and running past Halloween, so I've cost myself half the month just like that. Even worse, it looks like work is going to be busy until October 15th, leaving me with next to no time at all. I'll put myself down for a goal of ten this time around and I'd better make them count!

Has it been decided when the horror lists are due this year? I'm not back until late on November 10th (effectively the 11th), which I'm betting doesn't leave me a lot of time...

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Leopardi
Sep 28 2014, 11:20:54 AM
I'm in, but I've done a very stupid thing and booked a trip starting October 18th and running past Halloween, so I've cost myself half the month just like that. Even worse, it looks like work is going to be busy until October 15th, leaving me with next to no time at all. I'll put myself down for a goal of ten this time around and I'd better make them count!

Has it been decided when the horror lists are due this year? I'm not back until late on November 10th (effectively the 11th), which I'm betting doesn't leave me a lot of time...
Haven't set a deadline yet, but it was likely going to be early November. I can extend it a bit for you (Nov 14th?) if you think you'd be able to get a list in on time, but I doubt you're going to rush in from your trip desperately scrambling to get a list in :whistling: Or start making it now :teehee:

Leopardi
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, the odds of me doing much work on the list after I'm back are slim. I added a few dozen titles right after last year's list came out, so I've done some work already (thankfully). I'll see what I can do to fit in another look before I'm off and submit it nice and early, that makes the most sense.

Now if I could just find time to start the 50's list I'd be in good shape...

sennaho
No Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Just remembered that I'm going on two trips in October as well, so I'll have at the most 25 days for the challenge..and a lot of work to do most of the 25 days I am home...but I am pumped and hopefully will get in at least 30 movies!

Rigters
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I'm in. I have seen very few movies on my life, especially of the horror genre. So I'm going to check many movies that you've probably seen 10 years ago... :lol:
Edited by Rigters, Sep 29 2014, 02:22:13 AM.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Finally got my preliminary watchlist together! Here it is: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls077102182. DVDTalk hasn't finalised/finished the checklist completely, so I've filled out what I could so far and still need to add in more films later. Pretty much everything in here isn't stuff I want to see, but stuff needed for checklist or on TSZDT :lol: Aiming for an average of 4 a day, that way I can easily switch and add things when I find out my shifts for the coming week.

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
is it dusk on tuesday yet.

is dusk even a thing

"the darker part of twilight."

the fuck is twilight other than some glittery vampire shit.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Dusk is when the vampires come out.

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone