Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum Film World Cup match 1D: Russia vs Greece vs Tunisia; Voting deadline: Nov 30
Topic Started: Nov 10 2014, 07:05:52 AM (3,565 Views)
mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is match 1D of the iCM Forum Film World Cup.

CountryOriginal TitleEnglish TitleYearManager
RussiaVoskhozhdenieThe Ascent1977Gershwin
GreeceIlektraElectra1962kingink
TunisiaSamt el qusurThe Silences of the Palace1994globetrotter

Screenshots

Voting Rules:
- You must watch all 3 films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 3 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

The winner of the match is the film that beats the other 2 films head-to-head. If A "beats" B, it means that A is ranked higher than B more often than B is ranked higher than A. If there's no winner using this method, it'll be decided by average rank.

Here's a quick summary of how the tournament works

iCM list for round 1
Edited by mjf314, Nov 10 2014, 07:09:04 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A bunch of incredibly unengaging films, though technically well made.

1. Voskhozhdenie
2. Samt el qusur
3. Ilektra

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. Ilektra - 9/10
2. Voskhozhdenie - 7.5/10
3. Samt el qusur - 6/10

Ilektra was one of my DtC nominations, so it should be no surprise that it's my favorite.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mjf314
Nov 10 2014, 07:31:52 AM
1. Ilektra - 9/10
2. Voskhozhdenie - 7.5/10
3. Samt el qusur - 6/10

Ilektra was one of my DtC nominations, so it should be no surprise that it's my favorite.
I've read much of the Greek mythology in the past, so this film was a serious letdown to me.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Al ready seen the Russian one, thought it was a great excellent picture. Going to be hard for the others to top that.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Lonewolf2003
Nov 10 2014, 09:23:50 AM
Al ready seen the Russian one, thought it was a great excellent picture. Going to be hard for the others to top that.
At least that's what I'm hoping for. :sweat:

tirefeet
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Easy win for Russia.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
tirefeet
Nov 10 2014, 10:10:15 AM
Easy win for Russia.
You haven't seen Ilektra (or at least you haven't checked it) so how would you know? Ilektra has a better favorite/check ratio so it might have a chance.

Edit: I just realized that I hadn't favorited it, so I just did.
Edited by mjf314, Nov 10 2014, 10:31:32 AM.

tirefeet
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You might be right. I downloaded Elektra once, but some issue came up with subtitles so I couldn't watch it. I'd like to see Greece in another round with Angelopoulos but with Ascent's presence it's not likely.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
The Ascent is one of the most forgettable films I've ever seen :shrug:

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Voskhozhdenie is great, Ilektra is my first favourite in the world cup, and I always wanted to see Samt el qusur. Definitely liking this round.

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Seems I'm not the only one that has already seen The Ascent. :D
The other two films have to be really good to beat that one.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Have seen The Ascent and The Silences of the Palace before.
The former is fine and I don't think a re-watch will change my feeling so much.
I don't like the latter one, but I will give it a second try.

Haven't watched the Greek one.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
I have seen both The Ascent and Ilektra. Will watch Samt el qusur. I will definitely rewatch The Ascent, because I'm busy rewatching my favorites. If necessary for the ranking of the three, I'll rewatch Ilektra as well.

Dimitris Psachos Springer
No Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Ilektra is based on the Euripides play, the "Greek myths" topic should be of no consideration in this round.
Various plays back then (including the lost / fragmented ones) were based on local myths and usually twisted / deviated from the truthfulness of the myth and this in turn occurs in other "House of Atreides" plays.
Lest I forget, most Greek plays transcend the mythological environment of the story-tale, concerned with the behavioral irrational of the heroes/heroines e.g. in Sophocles version of Electra, the motives behind Electra's wrath are of lesser importance compared to the play's suspense. I've always preferred Euripides' version and this is the last feature masterpiece of Kakogiannis prior to his Hollywood-affection (although Zorba is pretty decent when it comes to mainstream oldies)
Bonus: splendid actors/actresses in the four main roles of the film.

I saw The Ascent during my MUBI days, same goes for Silences and I remember adoring both of them. I'll definitely get on with a rewatch at some point (which is why I haven't checked them yet) for general purposes, since I'm not participating. If anything (considering all three films are equal to one another), Tunisia and Greece would better deserve a progress due to the unknown nature of the countries' cinematographies here in the forum, Russia doesn't need any assistance on this department (I don't know however how many available Tunisian films exist compared to Greece)

P.S. I wouldn't root on an Angelopoulos selection in case Greece manages to "survive", partly because Angelopoulos is hated for all the fucking wrong reasons in this forum and also because he's probably the "auteur" of Greece for most cinephiles, just like Ray has become a mascot for India or Sembene for Senegal etc etc.
Edited by Dimitris Psachos Springer, Nov 10 2014, 06:36:17 PM.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I finally choose a right film and you put me against Voskhozhdenie?
Damn... Forum mafia films should be excluded from the competition. ^_^
Two perfect 10's for me, but I still prefer Ilektra.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I watched Ilektra yesterday. And it's indeed a very good pic. Better than all the other movies so far in the WC. It's just unlucky it has to face of with The Ascent.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Nov 11 2014, 09:35:15 AM.

tirefeet
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I hope I'll get onto Elektra sometime, I'm having troubles with finding time to watch films this month.

More of the Ascent; it is a very prominent film indeed, maybe it would have become very useful against top competition in later rounds? To me it's unlikely another solid Russian film like the Return would have any trouble coming out of here. I don't how many rounds are there but you can roll with any of Ascent, Come and See, Unsent Letter, Ivan's Childhood and even Dersu Uzala to reach the final stage and bam, you put Andrei Rublev out there and you wrap this thing up just like that.

Okay just checked it, there are five rounds. Russia seems to have enough firepower to pull it off.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
tirefeet
Nov 11 2014, 12:07:42 PM
I don't how many rounds are there but you can roll with any of Ascent, Come and See, Unsent Letter, Ivan's Childhood and even Dersu Uzala to reach the final stage and bam, you put Andrei Rublev out there and you wrap this thing up just like that.
Come and See is a Belarusian film.

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
tirefeet
Nov 11 2014, 12:07:42 PM
More of the Ascent; it is a very prominent film indeed, maybe it would have become very useful against top competition in later rounds? To me it's unlikely another solid Russian film like the Return would have any trouble coming out of here. I don't how many rounds are there but you can roll with any of Ascent, Come and See, Unsent Letter, Ivan's Childhood and even Dersu Uzala to reach the final stage and bam, you put Andrei Rublev out there and you wrap this thing up just like that.

Okay just checked it, there are five rounds. Russia seems to have enough firepower to pull it off.
5 Rounds, No repeating directors, and most importantly movies should have less than 1000 checks.

tirefeet
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dang, glad I'm not the manager then. Ascent's value seems much more clear now.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
tirefeet
Nov 11 2014, 12:41:10 PM
Dang, glad I'm not the manager then. Ascent's value seems much more clear now.
Just wait for next round (if Russia manages to win this round, that is). Letter Never Sent is still far below 1,000 checks. :shifty:

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
I rewatched The Ascent and I raised my rating to 10/10. Tough job to beat that!

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So far Europe kicks other continents' butt, but wait until Vietnam arrives on stage. :party:

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Mario Gaborović
Nov 11 2014, 10:39:00 PM
So far Europe kicks other continents' butt, but wait until Vietnam arrives on stage. :party:
I wish The Traveling Circus had been picked for Vietnam but I watched it too late to suggest it. I liked it more than When the Tenth Month Comes.

@Gershwin: I hope you'll pick One Hundred Days After Childhood for one of the rounds. Don't forget to watch it.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

I fucking hate this round. All 3 films here are my 3 favourite films in the world cup so far. I want them all to advance.

1. Ilektra (8/10)
2. Samt el qusur
3. Voskhozhdenie (7/10)

jeroeno
No Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Voskhozhdenie (10/10)
2. Ilektra (8/10)
3. Samt el Qusur (6/10)

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
mjf314
Nov 12 2014, 02:16:04 AM
@Gershwin: I hope you'll pick One Hundred Days After Childhood for one of the rounds. Don't forget to watch it.
I certainly will, thanks!

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Here's my ranking:

1. Voskhozhdenie
2. Ilektra
3. Samt el qusur

I'm very sorry for Greece, because I love a lot of Greek cinema, but it just can't compete with Russia. Ilektra could certainly have gotten my vote in another group, but The Ascent is just too good in my opinion.

Samt el qusur was fine but I was never blown away by it (7/10), so I never hesitated to put it above Ilektra.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Nov 12 2014, 07:32:56 PM
Here's my ranking:

1. Voskhozhdenie
2. Ilektra
3. Samt el qusur

I'm very sorry for Greece, because I love a lot of Greek cinema, but it just can't compete with Russia. Ilektra could certainly have gotten my vote in another group, but The Ascent is just too good in my opinion.

Samt el qusur was fine but I was never blown away by it (7/10), so I never hesitated to put it above Ilektra.
You're not one of the "the lesser, the better" cinema fans, are you?

I couldn't see much of the substance in any of these films, because execution is fine, and it should be of highest priority. But I'm eager to find out more about these films' intellectual dimension besides flashy photography.
For me there was too many faces that don't make any expressions (Ilektra), too much sheer walking through the snow (Voskhozhdenie), and too little of plot development (Samt el qusur).

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Mario Gaborović
Nov 12 2014, 08:03:31 PM
joachimt
Nov 12 2014, 07:32:56 PM
Here's my ranking:

1. Voskhozhdenie
2. Ilektra
3. Samt el qusur

You're not one of the "the lesser, the better" cinema fans, are you?

I couldn't see much of the substance in any of these films, because execution is fine, and it should be of highest priority. But I'm eager to find out more about these films' intellectual dimension besides flashy photography.
For me there was too many faces that don't make any expressions (Ilektra), too much sheer walking through the snow (Voskhozhdenie), and too little of plot development (Samt el qusur).
To be honest, I still don't know what "kind of cinema fan" I am. I like cinema. Sometimes a movie with very little in it grabs me, sometimes it doesn't. :shrug:

tirefeet
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mario Gaborović
too much sheer walking through the snow
This just might be my thing then, hehe.

I suppose France and Japan will come up with heavy artillery sometime (Ozu and Rohmer), so Russia might be in tough in case of they draw one another.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
tirefeet
Nov 12 2014, 09:45:50 PM
Mario Gaborović

I suppose France and Japan will come up with heavy artillery sometime (Ozu and Rohmer), so Russia might be in tough in case of they draw one another.
I would like to see the draw to be made for all possible fixtures known beforehand until the final, of course after two pots selected for the Round 16 (big cinematic countries against the small ones).

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
tirefeet
Nov 12 2014, 09:45:50 PM
Mario Gaborović

Well, if things turn out alright, Russia won't be meeting France this year, because Denmark is gonna kick out the French in the very first round. :cowboy:

Fingers crossed.

Jay Mars
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I haven't seen the Greek or Tunisian entries yet, but it will be tough for them to beat the Russian entry. It's a great movie, but we'll see. Anything's possible.

jeff_v
Member Avatar
Young Pope
 *  *  *  * ]
I gave both The Ascent and Ilektra the same rating on Criticker. Looks like I need something more granular than a 100-pt scale.

Since I only need to check out one additional movie for this batch, I think I'll be able to participate.

Dimitris Psachos Springer
No Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
"You're not one of the "the lesser, the better" cinema fans, are you?"

If "canon films" never existed (from the obvious usual suspects of U.S.A., France, Japan, Russia, Germany and Italy to begin with) and all cine-nations had an equal participation in lists / polls / results, then we wouldn't have any of those unofficial (but quite true in their nature) terms.

By the way, all 3 films retain very much a high and mighty value beyond the surerfluous comment about cinematography. Frankly, I don't understand why a Thunder in the Mountain or a Claire's Knee just because it comes from a Naruse / Rhomer buntch are of exceptional cinematic importance compared to the "flashy photography" of Silences and the integral sentimentality is produces in its romantic spectrum!

That whole "big name countries" is part of the singularity of capitalism's cash-in in certain countries, either commercially or art-house-y (particularly the "Iranian Spring" trends or a "contemporary South Korean cinema" mass-appreciation syndrome)
Edited by Dimitris Psachos Springer, Nov 13 2014, 04:39:34 PM.

jeff_v
Member Avatar
Young Pope
 *  *  *  * ]
Ok, this was a tough one because I liked all three, but I'm going to have to go with:

1. Voskhozhdenie / The Ascent
2. Ilektra
3. Samt el qusur / The Silences of the Palace

Good crop of films there.

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok, just watched the thiird film. This round was ridiculous! Even the film I ranked third would have been a contender for victory in the three previous rounds. Group of death! Also, two new entries for my 500<400 submission next year.

1. Voskhozhdenie / The Ascent
2. Ilektra
3. Samt el qusur / The Silences of the Palace

my quick thoughts on each film

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Voskhozhdenie 8,5
2. Ilektra 8
3. Samt el Qusur 7,5

It's not a hard choice between my numbers one and two, but they are still só close to each other for me, that it IS kinda hard having to place Ilektra second. The classic story, stark setting and music all make it something special.... the Russian just has a slight edge on the cinematic level, and that counts when we're talking movies. Number three was a good choice aswell, it looks nice and there's (also) a lot of beautiful music in there. I just thought it moved a bit too slow, with a lot of suggestion and not a lot of drama that you wouldn't expect in such a setting... it's not exactly superficial, but it could have cut a lot deeper at the same time.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film World Cup · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone