Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
African challenge; Official, January 2015
Topic Started: Dec 31 2014, 09:10:07 PM (2,980 Views)
3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Goal: Watch as many African films as possible in the month of January

Rules:

- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.
- Rewatches allowed

Official lists:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/fespaco+-+etalon+de+yennenga/

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/guide+to+african+cinema/

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/diffs+the+100+greatest+arab+films/
(includes North Africa: Thanks to Mjf for this spreadsheet showing which films on the DIFF list are from which country: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhCbA3xledPhdEZKUVJCWWU2RXZyd09kMUVpemxvVWc&gid=2&richtext=true
(Some of them are co-productions so you'll have to check which one is the main country. )

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/unescos+memory+of+the+world+national+cinematic+heritage/
[Angola (1-15), Burkina Faso (86-100), Ivory Coast (160-173), Egypt (215-229),
Ethiopia (230-243)]

Unofficial lists:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/official+checks+africa/knaldskalle/ [now updated to include African films on DIFF list! Thanks, Knaldskalle!]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/mubis+top+african+films/timec/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/cfbs+greatest+films+of+sub-saharan+africa/timec/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/african+submissions+for+the+academy+award+for+best+foreign+language+film/adamh/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/africa+movie+academy+-+best+film/ataraxic/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/most+important+100+egyptian+films/peacefulanarchy/
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/al+ahrams+15+best+egyptian+films+of+all+time/mjf314/

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/ousmane+sembene+filmography/nopros/

Additions welcome.

The host is open to opinions about whether the challenge should be limited to African cinema or should be open to movies set in Africa. The latter could be quite a range, from Hotel Rwanda and Pray the Devil back to Hell to Road to Morocco and The last remake of Beau Geste. Suggestions on where to draw the line?

Participants: [tally as of 1/20]

blocho - 9
cinephage - 2
gershwin -
jvv - 5
kingink - 11
knaldskalle - 7
lilarcor - 12
local hero -
marazmatique - 3
mightysparks -
nopros - 15
perceval - 5
prat - 2
tommy_leazaq - 1
3eyes - 6

Edited by 3eyes, Jan 21 2015, 01:55:51 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'm in for a modest run.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
I'm in. I have a personal film goal for 2015 that says "reach Gold on FESPACO list" so I'll aim for 8. I won't get started until around the 4th, though, due to a family visit.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
I'm aiming for the bronze on the FESPACO list.

Knucklehead, if I did some research on the TIFF list could you add the African ones to your African official checks list?

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
3eyes
Jan 1 2015, 01:03:17 AM

Knucklehead, if I did some research on the TIFF list could you add the African ones to your African official checks list?
This spreadsheet shows which films on the DIFF list are from which country: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhCbA3xledPhdEZKUVJCWWU2RXZyd09kMUVpemxvVWc&gid=2&richtext=true

Some of them are co-productions so you'll have to check which one is the main country.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
I'll try to watch a few. Probably with a tiny goal of 5.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Since my attempts to do this independently for the past two years have faltered, I'm going to join the challenge. Goal is plat on FESPACO and gold on Guide to African Cinema.

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Other than KG kind of sites, are films from the two African lists available online for free? My African exposure is next to nothing. So willing to explore them.

Prat
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. I'll try to watch some movies from the Guide to African Cinema list.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
tommy_leazaq
Jan 1 2015, 07:04:44 AM
Other than KG kind of sites, are films from the two African lists available online for free? My African exposure is next to nothing. So willing to explore them.
I assume many of them are on public trackers (but I didn't count how many). You should at least be able to find some Sembenes, Yeelen, Touki Bouki, Harvest 3000 Years, and some others.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
PeacefulAnarchy
Jan 1 2015, 06:16:05 AM
Since my attempts to do this independently for the past two years have faltered, I'm going to join the challenge. Goal is plat on FESPACO and gold on Guide to African Cinema.
I hope I don't come across as too inquisitive, but do you have English subs for Aujourd'hui? Or are you lucky enough to also speak French?

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Knaldskalle
Jan 1 2015, 04:31:47 PM
PeacefulAnarchy
I hope I don't come across as too inquisitive, but do you have English subs for Aujourd'hui? Or are you lucky enough to also speak French?
Oui, je parle français. There might be one or two others on the Guide list that don't have English subs but do have French subs, I can't recall.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
mjf314
Jan 1 2015, 01:32:30 AM
3eyes

This spreadsheet shows which films on the DIFF list are from which country: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhCbA3xledPhdEZKUVJCWWU2RXZyd09kMUVpemxvVWc&gid=2&richtext=true

Some of them are co-productions so you'll have to check which one is the main country.
I've updated the list. Please let me know if you come across any errors, there were a large number of IMDB entries that had no useful info (synopsis/review) as to where the movie is from/takes place. A couple of movies were clearly outside Africa in terms of where they took place (Lebanon, Iraq), so I excluded those.

There is an entry on thes spreadsheet, "Heena", that doesn't seem to actually be on the iCM list (at least I can't find it) and IMDb says it's an Indian TV series. The director's name doesn't yield any results on IMDb either. Any idea where this comes from or what it should be?

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
PeacefulAnarchy
Jan 1 2015, 04:44:02 PM
Knaldskalle
Jan 1 2015, 04:31:47 PM
PeacefulAnarchy
Oui, je parle français. There might be one or two others on the Guide list that don't have English subs but do have French subs, I can't recall.
I think it's the only one. It's frustrating, I have it but without subs it not much use.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Count me in!

Also added 100 GB to the POT on Aujourd'hui over at KG.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Knaldskalle
Jan 1 2015, 05:54:39 PM
mjf314
Jan 1 2015, 01:32:30 AM
3eyes

I've updated the list. Please let me know if you come across any errors, there were a large number of IMDB entries that had no useful info (synopsis/review) as to where the movie is from/takes place. A couple of movies were clearly outside Africa in terms of where they took place (Lebanon, Iraq), so I excluded those.

There is an entry on thes spreadsheet, "Heena", that doesn't seem to actually be on the iCM list (at least I can't find it) and IMDb says it's an Indian TV series. The director's name doesn't yield any results on IMDb either. Any idea where this comes from or what it should be?

Thanks, KH. I've amended the above list of lists accordingly.
Edited by 3eyes, Jan 1 2015, 09:53:55 PM.

Prat
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
For FESPACO, the new winner will be known in the beginning of march. Hope we'll find a way to watch the movie.

As for the challenge :
1. Gito, l'ingrat (1993) - 6/10

Spoiler: click to toggle

perceval
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
1a Niaye (Ousmane Sembene, Senegal, 1964) 6/10
1b Le wazzou polygame (Oumarou Ganda, Niger, 1971) 6/10

Two incredibly compact short films that deals with religion in a similar manner and uses texts successfully.
Edited by perceval, Jan 4 2015, 11:41:42 AM.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
I don't know how many I'll watch, but I love country challenges, so count me in. :)

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Gershwin
Jan 3 2015, 01:21:10 AM
I don't know how many I'll watch, but I love country challenges, so count me in. :)
Uh, hellOOO? I hate to break it to you, but Africa is not a country.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
Jan 3 2015, 01:33:37 AM
Gershwin

Yesitis. :P
Edited by Knaldskalle, Jan 3 2015, 01:42:34 AM.

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Knaldskalle
Jan 3 2015, 01:37:35 AM
Gershwin

If it's in a blog, it must be true. B)

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
Jan 3 2015, 01:39:42 AM
Knaldskalle
Jan 3 2015, 01:37:35 AM
Gershwin

If it's in a blog, it must be true. B)
Posted Image

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
At first I intended to say "countries' challenge", but I'm always having difficulties with plurals and apostrophes, so I decided to choose the singula. Quite naive indeed! :sweat:

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Gershwin
Jan 3 2015, 01:51:30 AM
At first I intended to say "countries' challenge", but I'm always having difficulties with plurals and apostrophes, so I decided to choose the singula. Quite naive indeed! :sweat:
Production location challenges.

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
PeacefulAnarchy
Jan 3 2015, 01:54:07 AM
Gershwin
Imagined Communities challenges. -_-

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
Jan 3 2015, 02:12:18 AM
PeacefulAnarchy
Jan 3 2015, 01:54:07 AM
Gershwin
Imagined Communities challenges. -_-

Posted Image
Edited by Knaldskalle, Jan 3 2015, 03:11:54 AM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
LOL! And KH, I want to send that graphic to folks I know who are involved with the Envision Peace Museum.

Anyway, back to the chthonic challenge:

1. Au nom du Christ/In the name of Christ (Ivory Coast 1993)
2. Lumumba: La mort du prophète (Fr 90)

Quite a juxtaposition of prophets here. Both films were simultaneously engrossing and sickening. (That's a recommendation.)

It's been awhile since I saw Peck's biopic of Lumumba. This earlier documentary is a valuable companion piece. I vividly remember the nightly news on the Madison public radio station at the time - culminating, as far as I was concerned, in the death of Dag Hammarskjold.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
3eyes
Jan 3 2015, 04:15:19 AM
LOL! And KH, I want to send that graphic to folks I know who are involved with the Envision Peace Museum.
Fine by me! I saw these all the time in Berkeley. Along with many other interesting bumper stickers.

Prat
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
2. Quartier Mozart (1992) - 3/10

perceval
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
2 Muna moto (J-P Dikongué-Pipa, Cameroon, 1974) 6/10

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
1a - Le wazzou polygame, by Oumarou Ganda (1971) 6/10
1b - Cabascabo, by Oumarou Ganda (1969) 8/10

I'm surprised Cabascabo has so few checks... I found it better, and more personal, than le Wazzou polygame. I preferred its Black and White photography too...
It's available on KG, and now's the time to get it.
It could be a challenger for the next 500<400 poll...
Edited by cinephage, Jan 3 2015, 12:46:53 PM.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Knaldskalle
I think it's supposed to be this film: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/hena+maysara/

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
mjf314
Jan 4 2015, 02:29:55 AM
Knaldskalle
I think it's supposed to be this film: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/hena+maysara/
Yeah, looks like that's it. I added it to the list, since there's no further info on IMDb.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
3. Afrique, je te plumerai /Africa, I Will Fleece You (Camaroon 93)

(Neo)colonialism in a nutshell.

Marazmatique
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Ooh, just noticed this. Coincidentally, I decided to work on the FESPACO list this month, already watched 2 movies:

1. Le wazzou polygame (1971) (half entry)
2. Les mille et une mains (1973)

Hopefully someone can make English subs for Aujourd'hui. I understand French to an extent, but I wouldn't be able to get through the movie without looking up translations every minute.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
Marazmatique
Jan 4 2015, 03:33:08 AM
Hopefully someone can make English subs for Aujourd'hui. I understand French to an extent, but I wouldn't be able to get through the movie without looking up translations every minute.
Here ya go!

Attached to this post:
Attachments: AUJOURDHUI.srt (22.61 KB)

Marazmatique
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Knaldskalle
Jan 4 2015, 03:48:25 AM
Marazmatique
Jan 4 2015, 03:33:08 AM
Here ya go!

Awesome! :woot:

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I downloaded many films from the DIFF list, so I'm in. Some of them are from Asia, but I have the Fespaco and the guide to African cinema to finish, so it's a good chance to work on them.

I've already watched two films
1. Tunisia - Rih essed aka Man of Ashes - Nouri Bouzid 1986 7/10
2. Egypt - Al-ard aka The land - Youssef Chahine 1969 7/10

Both were interesting and good films, but I just couldn't love them.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Interesting comment. When I commit to watching films so far out of my ken in concentrated fashion, I guess I'm not looking to love any of them - if I do it's a welcome surprise. But a strongly positive response would probably have a different label.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone