Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum Film World Cup match 1H: Germany vs Turkey vs Cuba; Voting deadline: Jan 25
Topic Started: Jan 5 2015, 03:55:42 PM (4,565 Views)
mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is match 1H of the iCM Forum Film World Cup.

CountryOriginal TitleEnglish TitleYearManager
GermanyVon morgens bis MitternachtFrom Morn to Midnight1922perceval
TurkeyTabutta RövaşataSomersault in a Coffin1996mjf314
CubaEl otro FranciscoThe Other Francisco1975Angel Glez

Screenshots

Voting Rules:
- You must watch all 3 films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 3 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

The winner of the match is the film that beats the other 2 films head-to-head. If A "beats" B, it means that A is ranked higher than B more often than B is ranked higher than A. If there's no winner using this method, it'll be decided by average rank.

Here's a quick summary of how the tournament works

iCM list for round 1
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Three films that combined total barely three hundred checks and only one official list. I'm taking part in this one though for other reasons.
Edited by sortile9io, Jan 6 2015, 08:22:04 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
The first silent in the tournament

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Armoreska
Jan 5 2015, 04:49:08 PM
The first silent in the tournament
You will get the second in next group ^_^

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Haven't watched one before, but all three films look interesting.
Hope I'll enjoy this group.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

I was actually planning to see Von morgens bis Mitternacht within the next few days. It looks great. I've been told that Tabutta Rövaşata is amazing, might as well watch it in a few minutes. The Cuban film El otro Francisco looks interesting. I liked the few Cuban films I've seen so far, especially The Last Supper (if I was the manager for Cuba this would have been my choice) and The First Charge of the Machete. They also get a reward for having the worst silent film I've ever seen, La virgen de la Caridad.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ArthurYanthar
Jan 6 2015, 01:51:39 AM
I was actually planning to see Von morgens bis Mitternacht within the next few days. It looks great. I've been told that Tabutta Rövaşata is amazing, might as well watch it in a few minutes. The Cuban film El otro Francisco looks interesting. I liked the few Cuban films I've seen so far, especially The Last Supper (if I was the manager for Cuba this would have been my choice) and The First Charge of the Machete. They also get a reward for having the worst silent film I've ever seen, La virgen de la Caridad.
Do you know somebody on this forum who makes Spanish subtitles? I'm willing to donate plenty at KG for the first Puertorican film "Los peloteros". I have the film and I think there's not much work to be done. :unsure:

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Mario Gaborović
Jan 6 2015, 02:15:56 AM
ArthurYanthar
Do you know somebody on this forum who makes Spanish subtitles? I'm willing to donate plenty at KG for the first Puertorican film "Los peloteros". I have the film and I think there's not much work to be done. :unsure:
I know of at least 2 Spanish speakers here but I don't think that they make subs. I know that at least two films in the Sight and Sound list lack English subs, with one of them being Spanish (Amor de Perdiçăo is the other Portuguese subless film, but 3/5 episodes are subbed now).

This is the Spanish film: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/el+desencanto/ and one comment on KG described the film as a translator's hell :(

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
sortile9io makes subs from Spanish.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ArthurYanthar
Jan 6 2015, 03:49:15 AM
Mario Gaborović
ArthurYanthar
I know of at least 2 Spanish speakers here but I don't think that they make subs. I know that at least two films in the Sight and Sound list lack English subs, with one of them being Spanish (Amor de Perdiçăo is the other Portuguese subless film, but 3/5 episodes are subbed now).

This is the Spanish film: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/el+desencanto/ and one comment on KG described the film as a translator's hell :(
Am I one of those two? I've made only a few and rather easy subtitles, including a couple of Puerto Rican shorts and most recently a Colombian silent. I'll take a look at "Los peloteros".

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sortile9io
Jan 6 2015, 08:58:10 AM
ArthurYanthar
Mario Gaborović
ArthurYanthar

Am I one of those two? I've made only a few and rather easy subtitles, including a couple of Puerto Rican shorts and most recently a Colombian silent. I'll take a look at "Los peloteros".
I am willing to give you 70GB's if that's fine. :) I'm not sure if I currently have that much but that's not a problem if I watch nothing but KG offerings for a week or two.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
three very different movies here, hard to compare!

1) Von morgens bis Mitternacht (1920) 8
2) Tabutta rövasata (1996) 7.5
3) El otro Francisco (1975) 7

My number 1 here is one of those very few expressionistic movies like Caligari that go for a very theatrical and cartoonesk design that might be considered 'too simplistic' in many ways. Yet it is totally captivating and "punk"! The cool effect of a skull appearing in a woman's face was later copied / done even better in Die Straße (1923)

The Turkish feature has a fresh mix of rebellious antics and tragic drama. Nice images and soundwork enhances the mood. I guess this one was very influential on the current style of Turkish art-house cinema. Liked it a lot!

The Cuban movie has another vibe altogether yet again. It clearly is a didactic 'third world' piece of cinema. But most of the running-time is dedicated to one sugarcane farm and all the injustice and terror that befalls the titular Francisco there, in the typical way that all movies about slavery go. Is there another way to show all these atrocities? But I wanted to say that the didactic part was somehow lost for me in all the plot machinations. The overall style didn't impress me greatly, but towards the end there are a few very violent scenes that surprised me and impressed in the special effects department. It might be a superficial way of watching, but I had to give some bonus points for those. Even then, this was my least favorite of this bunch.
Edited by beavis, Jan 6 2015, 10:22:46 PM.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mario Gaborović
Jan 6 2015, 09:08:13 AM
sortile9io
Jan 6 2015, 08:58:10 AM
ArthurYanthar
Mario Gaborović
ArthurYanthar

I am willing to give you 70GB's if that's fine. :) I'm not sure if I currently have that much but that's not a problem if I watch nothing but KG offerings for a week or two.
Where can I get a sample of the film?

Angel Glez
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Los peloteros" is here.

sortile9io, yo la tengo descargada en mp4, si la quieres. ;)

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
That was a quick round. Less than four hours for all the movies together. Now will more people participate because of that?

My ranking:

1. El otro Francisco 8/10
2. Von morgens bis Mitternacht 7/10
3. Tabutta Rövaşata 6/10

Three very different movies indeed. Basically a matter of taste (as always...). El otro Francisco and Von morgens bis Mitternacht both have a very distinguished visual style. I really like the rough style of the first one which makes me choose it as #1. The Turkish movie is ok. It succeeds in getting me emotionally involved with the lead (actor did a good job imo), but I missed some more story and background to stay interested in the plot.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Angel Glez
Jan 7 2015, 06:58:37 PM
"Los peloteros" is here.

Hey, that's an interesting link, thanks; there are other DIVEDCO films I know. Unfortunately, audio quality in this case is also pretty bad. Can you understand everything they say? I've just picked a random segment and got lost in the middle of an obscure baseball talk. If you can we may try to do a 50/50 job.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
when you judge movies what do you take into account (the most) the plot / the thing the movie is actually about / the mood...???
I guess it will always be a mixture and for some movies one element done very good can become the sole strength...

I'm asking because I felt Fransisco failed somewhat in the "thing the movie is actually about" department (and maybe then purely in getting the message across to me specifically; and I might not even be an audience that was under consideration at the time) and your rating it high. Also because of your interest in the Unesco list of which I think a lot of movies require some cultural/historical knowledge about the country they are made in... Are those things always known/of interest to you or of lesser importance (to enjoy a story)?
Edited by beavis, Jan 7 2015, 08:43:33 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
beavis
Jan 7 2015, 08:37:42 PM
when you judge movies what do you take into account (the most) the plot / the thing the movie is actually about / the mood...???
I guess it will always be a mixture and for some movies one element done very good can become the sole strength...

I'm asking because I felt Fransisco failed in the "thing the movie is actually about" department (and maybe then purely in getting the message across to me specifically; and I might not even be an audience that was under consideration at the time) and your rating it high. Also because of your interest in the Unesco list of which I think a lot of movies require some cultural/historical knowledge about the country they are made in... Are those things always known/of interest to you or of lesser importance (to enjoy a story)?
I basically try to take all things into account, but it differs with each viewing what element gets my highest attention. I do agree that the "thing the movie is actually about" is one of the weaker points of Francisco. It made its point pretty soon and that's about it. But with this movie the style got my highest attention. It felt so close. I don't often enjoy shaky cams, but the way this was films it felt as if I was standing there experiencing the hardships.

My rating is somewhere between 7 and 8, but I don't give decimal ratings. I rounded it to the high side and added it very low on my 500<400-list. Von morgens is a big 7, so not very far from Francisco.

With Unesco-movies I often read a bit about the background to enjoy more of it. I don't do it in advance, but I often pause a movie after about 15 minutes when I feel it is necessary to know a bit of the background. I haven't got the knownledge of world history myself and I'm not really into reading a lot about it, so most of the time I quickly browse through a wikipedia-page. It makes the movies more interesting, but I don't go into depth on the subjects any more than the movies do.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
very clear, thanks!

our different rating here is based purely on the style it seems then. I agree with you on the realistic feel (certainly towards the end in those scenes I mentioned), But most of the time I felt it wasn't thát good... Also because it is so clear that this movie has a message, I felt the need to judge it more strongly on that point.
Edited by beavis, Jan 7 2015, 09:02:40 PM.

Angel Glez
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sortile9io
Jan 7 2015, 08:29:27 PM
Angel Glez
Jan 7 2015, 06:58:37 PM
"Los peloteros" is here.

Hey, that's an interesting link, thanks; there are other DIVEDCO films I know. Unfortunately, audio quality in this case is also pretty bad. Can you understand everything they say? I've just picked a random segment and got lost in the middle of an obscure baseball talk. If you can we may try to do a 50/50 job.
I assume that baseball is not a popular sport in Serbia either, so Mario should not complain. :lol:

I'll be awfully busy the next few months with the Doubling. After that, I wouldn't mind trying.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Von morgens bis Mitternacht 7.5/10
2. El otro Francisco 6/10
3. Tabutta Rövaşata 6/10

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
El otro Francisco was the only film in the bunch I enjoyed watching. If only there were more films in this match because my rating increased by one each time I watched the next film in the lineup :lol:

1. El otro Francisco
2. Tabutta Rövaşata
3. Von morgens bis Mitternacht

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Interesting group. Three films with distinct styles and their own strength and weakness.

1. El otro Francisco
2. Tabutta Rövaşata
3. Von morgens bis Mitternacht

I think I like Von morgens bis Mitternacht the least. I have high expectation on it but despite great visuals, its story does not do much on me.

A bit difficult for me to choose between Turkey and Cuba. Tabutta Rövaşata is more interesting but it is loose, so I give the edge to El otro Francisco, though I may change the rank.
Edited by zhangalan, Jan 11 2015, 06:13:32 AM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
zhangalan
Jan 11 2015, 05:49:17 AM
...though I may change the rank.
Don't :o

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Jan 11 2015, 07:19:28 AM
zhangalan
Jan 11 2015, 05:49:17 AM
...though I may change the rank.
Don't :o
You can do it by preventing yourself shifting to zhangalan one, or keep telling yourself Cuba is better Cuba is better Cuba is better...... then I'll be brainwashed and keep the current ranking :teehee:

Actually I plan on re-watching El otro Francisco as I was not in my best state during the viewing.

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Cuba has a slender lead as of now. Chile is the only Pot 3 team to made it to second round so far. Can Cuba join it at the expense of mighty Germany?

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
tommy_leazaq
Jan 12 2015, 10:37:22 AM
Cuba has a slender lead as of now. Chile is the only Pot 3 team to made it to second round so far. Can Cuba join it at the expense of mighty Germany?
It's still too soon to know but... well, why not? I for one am ranking Cuba above Germany too.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
El otro Francisco - Too preachy and melodramatic.
Tabutta Rövaşata - The main character is very good at projecting sadness, but the story felt a bit disjointed.
Von morgens bis Mitternacht - Expressionism just isn't my cup of tea. I did like the segment at the racetrack though.

1. Tabutta Rövaşata 6.5/10
2. Von morgens bis Mitternacht 5/10
3. El otro Francisco 4.5/10

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
jvv giving 4.5 and 5. :blink:
This is really bad!

By the way, jvv, sorry for the off-topic... I think this is the first time since I joined the forum almost three years ago that you changed your avatar. :o

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I though a new year, a new avatar. B)

And the low scores for these movies are because they're not to my taste, not necessarily because they're bad.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
jvv
Jan 13 2015, 04:36:20 PM
I though a new year, a new avatar. B)

And the low scores for these movies are because they're not to my taste, not necessarily because they're bad.
From what you normally like, I can imagine that.

Torgo
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey guys, I know I'm terribly late to ask this, but are these matches only "fought" by the managers and accredited users, or may I as a innocent bystander participate in this and give out rankings?
Sorry, I never took a look a this whole World Cup match thingy, it does look interesting though :)

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Torgo
Jan 15 2015, 03:11:30 AM
Hey guys, I know I'm terribly late to ask this, but are these matches only "fought" by the managers and accredited users, or may I as a innocent bystander participate in this and give out rankings?
Sorry, I never took a look a this whole World Cup match thingy, it does look interesting though :)
Not only are you allowed to participate, but you're required to participate.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
El Otro Francisco 6/10
Von Morgens Bis Mitternacht 6(5.5)/10
Tabutta Rovasata 6(5.5)/10

least exciting bunch so far

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
So far 4 out of 7 people put Francisco at #1. Not bad for a movie that had only 1 check before this match started.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
saved by the docu angle

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Armoreska
Jan 16 2015, 10:29:27 AM
saved by the docu angle
Basically, I would say the same.

Angel Glez
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. The Other Francisco
2. Somersault in a Coffin
3. From Morn to Midnight

Very good film from Turkey. Echoes in more famous films, like "Distant" or "Head-On". I wouldn't mind seeing Turkey in next round, it has a lot to offer.
With regard to the German film I have to say I prefer the legacy of Expressionism (most notably the film noir) to the movies themselves. Still I would like to see more silent films in the Cup; I hope for Sweden in the next round... ;)

insomnius
Member Avatar
Fourth Row Spectator
 *  *  *  * ]
1. From Morn to Midnight
2. The Other Francisco
3. Somersault in a Coffin

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I guess it is the time to start the next group.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film World Cup · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone