Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum Film World Cup match 1I: China vs Netherlands vs Argentina; Voting deadline: Feb 8
Topic Started: Jan 19 2015, 12:56:40 AM (3,875 Views)
mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is match 1I of the iCM Forum Film World Cup.

CountryOriginal TitleEnglish TitleYearManager
ChinaShen nuThe Goddess1934zhangalan
NetherlandsDe weg naar het zuidenThe Way South1981Dolwphin
ArgentinaLa historia oficialThe Official Story1985daviddoes

Screenshots

Voting Rules:
- You must watch all 3 films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 3 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

The winner of the match is the film that beats the other 2 films head-to-head. If A "beats" B, it means that A is ranked higher than B more often than B is ranked higher than A. If there's no winner using this method, it'll be decided by average rank.

Here's a quick summary of how the tournament works

iCM list for round 1
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
The Dutch choice seems really dreary. Prepare for a lot of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

As for the other two, I'd rank the Argentinian entry first.
Edited by monty, Jan 19 2015, 01:19:38 AM.

serri
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
nice round, proper rankings are still incredibly obvious tho.

1. De weg naar het zuiden / The Way South
2. Shen nu/ The Goddess
3. La historia oficial / The Official Story
Edited by serri, Jan 19 2015, 01:26:11 AM.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gosh, Netherlands and China are in the same group. I need to prevent joachimt from voting :angry:
Actually I need to watch the Dutch one first. I watched the other two before. Probably need to rewatch Argentina one since I am afraid I'd rank it over my nominee (I regret saving The Devils on the Doorstep :( )

btw, just notice The Way South (and also The Whole Shootin' Match) are holdovers of DTC. Will the Cup help them make it this year? :lol:
Edited by zhangalan, Jan 19 2015, 10:56:41 AM.

Melvelet
Member Avatar
la recherche du temps perdu...
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
zhangalan
Jan 19 2015, 10:55:15 AM
btw, just notice The Way South (and also The Whole Shootin' Match) are holdovers of DTC. Will the Cup help them make it this year? :lol:
I doubt that tis WC will help any movie DtC-wise ^_^

I'm slowly getting my WC mood back. Have only seen Shen nu before (go watch it!) and been meaning to watch Official Story anyway.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Shen nu 7.5/10
2. La historia oficial 6/10
3. De weg naar het zuiden 5/10
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Jan 20 2015, 07:50:39 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Melvelet
Jan 19 2015, 03:16:34 PM
zhangalan
I doubt that tis WC will help any movie DtC-wise ^_^

I'm slowly getting my WC mood back. Have only seen Shen nu before (go watch it!) and been meaning to watch Official Story anyway.
Yeah, what a nice timing :lol:
If a film is really that good then more viewing gonna helps it into DTC. And if I guess it right, my Korean nominee will be in competition during the DTC period, which means that if I nominate Repatriation for DTC, it will certainly get more than 6 votes (with so many voters in this Cup) :P .
I hope people enjoy it though.

And I don't think people will regret it joining this group, especially The Goddess and The Official Story are highly acclaimed films of their own countries ;)
Edited by zhangalan, Jan 20 2015, 11:20:18 AM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
zhangalan
Gosh, Netherlands and China are in the same group. I need to prevent joachimt from voting :angry:
No worries, mate. I'm voting for you. :thumbsup:

Shen Nu and La Historia Official are both very good movies, 8/10 form me. Shen Nu feels more special to me and I'd like to rewatch that one more than Historia.
De Weg Naar Het Zuiden was ok, but not interesting enough and some parts even boring. He could have easily skipped a few people during his trip, because some didn't have anything interesting to say (especially the middle aged married couple sitting outside on the bench).
But seriously, Dolwphin, why did you pick this movie? Oh right, YOU love it. But did you really feel this is the movie that could bring The Netherlands to the next round? I can't believe it. You should know by now that your taste is not the average taste on this forum.
Another problem I have with this pick, is that I really didn't feel like I was watching a Dutch movie. Sure, the moviemaker was Dutch, the voiceover was and the first part was taking place in Amsterdam, but the rest of the movie was in France, Italy and Egypt, a documentary about some people in those countries. If you pick a movie as Dutch entry for a world cup, pick a Dutch movie.

1. Shen nu
2. La historia official
3. De weg naar het zuiden

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
joachimt
Jan 20 2015, 07:06:14 PM
But seriously, Dolwphin, why did you pick this movie? Oh right, YOU love it. But did you really feel this is the movie that could bring The Netherlands to the next round? I can't believe it. You should know by now that your taste is not the average taste on this forum.
Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. Having read up on this film just added to the negative vibes. I have zero interest spending any time whatsoever watching it. I've seen both the other entries but Dolwphin's extremely poor choice means I won't take part this round.
Edited by monty, Jan 20 2015, 07:18:08 PM.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
The Dutch have sacked their manager before half-time :D

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
zhangalan

Shen Nu and La Historia Official are both very good movies, 8/10 form me. Shen Nu feels more special to me and I'd like to rewatch that one more than Historia.
De Weg Naar Het Zuiden was ok, but not interesting enough and some parts even boring. He could have easily skipped a few people during his trip, because some didn't have anything interesting to say (especially the middle aged married couple sitting outside on the bench).
Another problem I have with this pick, is that I really didn't feel like I was watching a Dutch movie. Sure, the moviemaker was Dutch, the voiceover was and the first part was taking place in Amsterdam, but the rest of the movie was in France, Italy and Egypt, a documentary about some people in those countries. If you pick a movie as Dutch entry for a world cup, pick a Dutch movie.

1. Shen nu
2. La historia official
You Dutch guys didn't check "The Other Final" as I told you. It would eliminate any film in the cup so far, let alone these two. Now suffer. :verymad:

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Mario Gaborović
Jan 20 2015, 07:24:20 PM
joachimt
zhangalan

1. Shen nu
2. La historia official
You Dutch guys didn't check "The Other Final" as I told you. It would eliminate any film in the cup so far, let alone these two. Now suffer. :verymad:
You Dutch guys? The manager picked it and he's from Sweden. ;)
But you basically do the same thing, Mario, picking movies YOU like. We've got the FotW for that. Your choice for Serbia went very well, I must grant you that, but I think your taste is a lot nearer to the average taste on the forum than Dolwphin's taste is.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Jan 20 2015, 07:33:00 PM
But you basically do the same thing, Mario, picking movies YOU like. We've got the FotW for that. Your choice for Serbia went very well, I must grant you that, but I think your taste is a lot nearer to the average taste on the forum than Dolwphin's taste is.
I'm just saying that it's very strange that so many Dutch people are here, yet so many unaware of it. As I remember, the managers were watching a few films before picking up contenders, that's when I mentioned it. A film impossible to hate or let one cold.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Mario Gaborović
Jan 20 2015, 07:42:42 PM
joachimt
Jan 20 2015, 07:33:00 PM
I'm just saying that it's very strange that so many Dutch people are here, yet so many unaware of it. As I remember, the managers were watching a few films before picking up contenders, that's when I mentioned it. A film impossible to hate or let one cold.
I don't think Dolwphin tried anything else before selecting this one. The moment he applied for the job, he knew which was the first pick.

"The other final" looks interesting, although not really Dutch as well.
Quote:

a Dutch fan decides to organize a football match between the two lowest FIFA-ranking teams - Bhutan and Montserrat

Are all Dutch recommendations made abroad? :shrug:

Anyway, watchlisted...

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Now I wish that Pentimento was the film to represent Netherlands, just to see the reactions.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
ArthurYanthar
Jan 20 2015, 08:12:10 PM
Now I wish that Pentimento was the film to represent Netherlands, just to see the reactions.
:lol:

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
La historia oficial (1985)
I watched this years ago for the Foreign Oscar thing and while I found it somewhat entertaining, it was pretty much generic and melodramatic nonsense. It's ok, but nothing that you haven't seen already.

Shen nu (1934)
I also watched this some time ago and feel similarly to the above film; decent, and nothing more.

De weg naar het zuiden (1981)
I assume this is Dolwphin's attempt to torture us.

Final ranking of the films:
La historia oficial (1985)
Shen nu (1934)

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mightysparks
Jan 21 2015, 04:30:43 AM
To me, watching "De weg naar het zuiden" was sex with Miss Universe compared to "Careful He Might Hear You". :party:
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Jan 21 2015, 05:20:25 AM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
mightysparks
Jan 21 2015, 04:30:43 AM
Good review. :lol:

I don't think it's torture, by the way. Still rated it 6/10, but ...well... I've said enough about it already......

serri
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

or not.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hey, don't blame Dolwphin. I choose a documentary for South Korea as well and now I fear the same. Luckily I don't think we have South Korean on this forum (do we?)

At least The Way South has got a rank 1 ballot so far. That's not bad.
And you can never expect Dolwphin picking The Vanishing or The Fourth Man as he is the captain of anti-mainstream cinema (despite himself being a Nolan fanboy).

Melvelet
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
zhangalan
Jan 21 2015, 11:56:46 AM
I choose a documentary for South Korea as well and now I fear the same. Luckily I don't think we have South Korean on this forum (do we?)
A 2.5h documentary even :P
But I'm looking forward to it.

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
A match in which I start from the bottom when determining the ranking and decide which film was my least favorite and then second least favorite instead of which film I liked the most :lol: Not the best group of films.

1. Shen nu
2. La historia oficial

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Melvelet
Jan 21 2015, 02:42:41 PM
zhangalan
I choose a documentary for South Korea as well and now I fear the same. Luckily I don't think we have South Korean on this forum (do we?)
Urr, The Act of Killing, Dying at Grace, Welfare... Plenty of documentaries have such running time. Maybe filmmakers find it the golden running time for documentaries :lol:

Anyway, what I know is that that group will be a strong group. I mean I like both Repatriation and The Given Word, and Once Upon a Time There Was a Singing Black Bird is an acclaimed film(I haven't watched it yet). And well, the latter two are in RYM top 1000, so it will be a difficult competition for South Korea. Now I can only hope people at least enjoy my choice.

On the other hand, The Goddess is a safe but boring choice. I pick Repatriation because I like it. Of coz as a Chinese silent film The Goddess is special, and it is a fine work, still it is not among my top favourite Chinese films. If China proceeds to next round, I'll start picking my top favourite (yet some of them become forbidden choices now since I expect more people will watch them this year tehe ). I guess my next choice will be that newly translated film (hey, keep it secret, those who help my translation :P ).
Edited by zhangalan, Jan 22 2015, 11:02:57 AM.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
zhangalan
Jan 22 2015, 11:01:13 AM
Melvelet
zhangalan
Urr, The Act of Killing, Dying at Grace, Welfare... Plenty of documentaries have such running time. Maybe filmmakers find it the golden running time for documentaries :lol:

Anyway, what I know is that that group will be a strong group. I mean I like both Repatriation and The Given Word, and Once Upon a Time There Was a Singing Black Bird is an acclaimed film(I haven't watched it yet). And well, the latter two are in RYM top 1000, so it will be a difficult competition for South Korea. Now I can only hope people at least enjoy my choice.

On the other hand, The Goddess is a safe but boring choice. I pick Repatriation because I like it. Of coz as a Chinese silent film The Goddess is special, and it is a fine work, still it is not among my top favourite Chinese films. If China proceeds to next round, I'll start picking my top favourite (yet some of them become forbidden choices now since I expect more people will watch them this year tehe ). I guess my next choice will be that newly translated film (hey, keep it secret, those who help my translation :P ).
Oh wait, I go to KG and just realize someone has already uploaded Back to Back Face to Face and it does have eng sub.

Alright, at least I do have fun during my translation. I even put 'Argo *beep* yourself' as one of the line. :sweat:

Melvelet
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
zhangalan
Jan 22 2015, 01:45:53 PM
zhangalan
Melvelet
zhangalan

Oh wait, I go to KG and just realize someone has already uploaded Back to Back Face to Face and it does have eng sub.

Alright, at least I do have fun during my translation. I even put 'Argo *beep* yourself' as one of the line. :sweat:
I'll still complete the proofreading soon (after such a long time :sweat: )

I haven't checked the translation of the DVD yet but tab25 said it's awful so your translation work was not in vain.
That "Argo fuck yourself" is on the 'Suggest change' list though :whistling:
Edited by Melvelet, Jan 23 2015, 07:55:48 PM.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Melvelet
Jan 23 2015, 07:53:28 PM
zhangalan
Jan 22 2015, 01:45:53 PM
zhangalan
Melvelet
zhangalan

I'll still complete the proofreading soon (after such a long time :sweat: )

I haven't checked the translation of the DVD yet but tab25 said it's awful so your translation work was not in vain.
That "Argo fuck yourself" is on the 'Suggest change' list though :whistling:
I can change it if you like. :)

I wonder if KG will approve that line.

Well, I just mean to add it for fun (following by the line 'Don't you realize it is a poor slogan?' tehe ), but let's be serious. :lol:
Edited by zhangalan, Jan 24 2015, 12:22:14 AM.

Lilarcor
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm shocked at this hate towards De weg naar het zuiden. For me I'm struggling which of this and Shen nu I like better (documentaries and great melodramas are hard to compare). I rate them both 8/10 and I'm close to favoriting both. I think De weg naar het zuiden is pretty powerful in a similar way to Malle's Indian documentary miniseries. Keuken has a really good eye for things and shoots scenes that, while not always spelling out directly what his intentions are with them, steers you gently into contemplation. An example of this could be the "hole in the fence" scene. I found myself thinking a lot about societal structure but also more down-to-earth stuff like family life. Specifically several interviews got me thinking heavily on loneliness.

I also don't understand the criticism of this not being a Dutch film. It begins with and has its roots in a conflict in Amsterdam which Keuken expands on by looking at how things are elsewhere. A very logical thing to do given the issues he's picturing. Throughout the runtime it harkens back visually to the Amsterdam conflict, the most obvious perhaps being the story on the guard in Egypt, the words on walls etc.

I'm really glad Dolwphin picked this because I would've been completely unaware of it otherwise, maybe I would never have seen it. I could say the same for many of the world cup entries so far. That's why I'm participating in every round. I mean surely the world cup is just a fun structural thing to explore movies that you might never have got to otherwise, in the ocean of potential other movies to see, some on many lists. The winner of this doesn't matter.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lilarcor
Jan 24 2015, 01:29:37 PM
I'm shocked at this hate towards De weg naar het zuiden. For me I'm struggling which of this and Shen nu I like better (documentaries and great melodramas are hard to compare). I rate them both 8/10 and I'm close to favoriting both. I think De weg naar het zuiden is pretty powerful in a similar way to Malle's Indian documentary miniseries. Keuken has a really good eye for things and shoots scenes that, while not always spelling out directly what his intentions are with them, steers you gently into contemplation. An example of this could be the "hole in the fence" scene. I found myself thinking a lot about societal structure but also more down-to-earth stuff like family life. Specifically several interviews got me thinking heavily on loneliness.

I also don't understand the criticism of this not being a Dutch film. It begins with and has its roots in a conflict in Amsterdam which Keuken expands on by looking at how things are elsewhere. A very logical thing to do given the issues he's picturing. Throughout the runtime it harkens back visually to the Amsterdam conflict, the most obvious perhaps being the story on the guard in Egypt, the words on walls etc.

I'm really glad Dolwphin picked this because I would've been completely unaware of it otherwise, maybe I would never have seen it. I could say the same for many of the world cup entries so far. That's why I'm participating in every round. I mean surely the world cup is just a fun structural thing to explore movies that you might never have got to otherwise, in the ocean of potential other movies to see, some on many lists. The winner of this doesn't matter.
And you can vote for it in DTC. The Way South is one of the holdovers. :thumbsup:

Spoiler: click to toggle

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Watched The Way South. Not as bad as some people mention here. It has some nice moments. The main problem is that it lacks a focus. Or maybe for documentary I like those focusing on a single issue and then digging in deeper and deeper. On the other hand, The Way South seems to show me many different people and issues but I kinda feel that they are loosely connected and each part is too brief for me to engage in it.

Anyway, will give a 4/6 in DTC.

Now what I need is re-watch The Official Story.
And I hope people won't skip this round because of the comments on The Way South. Really it is worth a look.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Haven't watched The Other Final before, but I watched a Dutch documentary called Forever and I like it a lot (one of my best <400 checks film).

Anyone also watched it before?

Dolwphin
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I thought the political themes - social immobility, institutionalized oppression, class systems, immigration, etc. - and the diversity of subjects interviewed was fascinating. Also it is beautifully shot and neatly structured into a travelogue. I'm surprised by this negative reaction, it is a documentary not some radical form experiment, but at least some members appreciated it.

Dolwphin
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Armoreska
Jan 20 2015, 07:21:09 PM
The Dutch have sacked their manager before half-time :D
I think we will become 3rd in this round.

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
For a change I submit my votes quite early in the round (also because I have seen Shen nu just about a year ago, and it is still fresh enough in my mind). :)

Brutal hard round for ranking the films for me, perhaps even the hardest so far. I'd rate all films the same (an 8 on IMDB, all on the weaker 8 side) and I consider them all to have a lot of strong merits, but none to be really excellent or just perfectly suiting to my tatse.

After a bit of thought, my top choice goes to the Dutch film, not least for the inspired choice. Thanks Dolphwin to bring this to my attention, as likely it is a film I wouldn't have watched for along time (or even at all) cause I hadn't even heard of it. And of all three it is the one that is most to my sensibilities.

So my ranking:

1. De weg naar het zuiden / The Way South
2. Shen nu/ The Goddess
3. La historia oficial / The Official Story

And my quick thoughts:

De weg naar het zuiden / The Way South (1981, Johan van der Keuken)
Travelogue / essay docu about power differences and class struggles, societarial oppression and about how such power differences form their surrounding and are formed by the surrounding. Viewed mostly from the perspective of the people on the lower end of a power divide, the film captures in fine pictures the people in their habitat (Netherlands / France / Italy / Egypt) and lets the viewer time to breath and make his own reflections.
7.5/10

Shen nu / The Goddess (1934, Yonggang Wu)
Late heartbreaking silent about a prostitute who tries to be a good mother to her boy, but faces all kind of hardships. Well filmed and with an excellent central performance.
7.5/10

La historia oficial / The Official Story (1985, Luis Puenzo)
Powerful story about a women who wants to find the real parents of her adopted girl, cause she can't life with the burden that it was a forced adoption during Argentine's tumoultus past. Really strong story with lots of political touches that is carried by good acting, writing and a direction that lets those elements shine.
7.5/10

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So far despite some hate The Way South is turned out to be a strong contender.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
zhangalan
Jan 26 2015, 10:42:21 PM
So far despite some hate The Way South is turned out to be a strong contender.
Hard to say. After six votes, two people voted in #1 and four people voted it #3.

Angel Glez
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Okay, next group. This one is really easy:

1. The Goddess (by far)
2. The Official Story
3. The Way South

There is a performances poll somewhere, don't forget Ruan Lingyu!

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Angel Glez
Jan 27 2015, 09:31:37 AM
I already have her on my list.

Maggie Cheung's performance as Ruan Lingyu is also good. I have her on my list as well.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mjf314
Jan 27 2015, 09:42:04 AM
Angel Glez
Jan 27 2015, 09:31:37 AM
I already have her on my list.

Maggie Cheung's performance as Ruan Lingyu is also good. I have her on my list as well.
Ah Ying is actually not a bad choice. It is more well acclaimed than Centre Stage in HK. And I like Ah Ying more than Centre Stage. Maybe the Westerners's taste is different from me, but Ah Ying could be hindered by the poor quality of sub also (too bad I was busy back in Dec and the film is two hour long :'( ).

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dolwphin will probably vote. Don't know about daviddoes. Anyway, I prefer to present my ballot at earlier stage.

1. Shen nu
2. The Official Story
3. The Way South

My bad luck that both of my contenders are facing Latin America, luckily The Official Story is not among my top favourite LA films. Will give same rating for Shen nu and The Official Story still I rank Shen nu first.
Edited by zhangalan, Feb 15 2015, 07:00:57 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film World Cup · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone