Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum Film World Cup match 1M: South Korea vs Georgia vs Brazil; Voting deadline: Apr 5
Topic Started: Mar 16 2015, 02:30:27 AM (3,006 Views)
mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is match 1M of the iCM Forum Film World Cup.

CountryOriginal TitleEnglish TitleYearManager
South KoreaSonghwanRepatriation2003zhangalan
GeorgiaIko shashvi mgalobeliOnce Upon a Time There Was a Singing Blackbird1970funkybusiness
BrazilO Pagador de PromessasThe Given Word1962SkilledLunatic

Screenshots

Voting Rules:
- You must watch all 3 films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 3 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

The winner of the match is the film that beats the other 2 films head-to-head. If A "beats" B, it means that A is ranked higher than B more often than B is ranked higher than A. If there's no winner using this method, it'll be decided by average rank.

Here's a quick summary of how the tournament works

iCM list for round 1
Edited by mjf314, Mar 16 2015, 02:38:29 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I remember I was the one recommending The Given Word to Brazil's manager, and now my nominated film is competing with my recommended film!? :'(

Both above 9/10 for me.
Ok, at least I haven't seen Black Bird. If it's that good also, then I will have a perfumed nightmare :P

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Iko shashvi mgalobeli 8.5/10
2. Songhwan 8/10
3. O Pagador de Promessas 6/10

Nice group.
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Mar 17 2015, 12:09:16 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Brazilian manager SkilledLunatic hasn't been here since the 3rd of February. I just PMed him on ICM (last check 2 weeks ago) to see what's up. I hope he comes back.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Let me vote the exact opposite of Mario:

1. O Pagador de Promessas 9/10
Zhangalan did a very good job recommending this. At #100 of my favorites-list, so hard to beat.
2. Songhwan 8/10
Impressive documentary.
3. Iko shashvi mgalobeli 6/10
Let me spoiler my opinion...
Spoiler: click to toggle

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt

Zhangalan did a very good job recommending this. At #100 of my favorites-list, so hard to beat.

Indeed! A film that beats The Passion of Joan of Arc in Cannes is difficult to beat B)
Edited by zhangalan, Mar 18 2015, 11:05:28 PM.

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
zhangalan
Mar 18 2015, 11:05:12 PM
joachimt

Indeed! A film that beats The Passion of Joan of Arc in Cannes is difficult to beat B)
well... Trial of Joan of Arc. not quite the same thing. More impressive it beat The Exterminating Angel, L'eclisse, and Cleo from 5 to 7.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
funkybusiness
Mar 19 2015, 01:35:56 AM
zhangalan
Mar 18 2015, 11:05:12 PM
joachimt

well... Trial of Joan of Arc. not quite the same thing. More impressive it beat The Exterminating Angel, L'eclisse, and Cleo from 5 to 7.
Still not many people praise it nowadays :(

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

If Brazil wins and SkilledLunatic doesn't answer, can I take over as manager?

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
ArthurYanthar
Mar 21 2015, 08:45:43 AM
If Brazil wins and SkilledLunatic doesn't answer, can I take over as manager?
O pagador de promessas was recommended to skilled by zhangalan. Maybe he wants to continue with Brazil after he lost South Korea. I'm fine with either of you.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Fuck I should have asked to be a manager earlier but I had interest in the world cup till it started.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
No. I haven't had enough favourite Brazilian films. The Given Word aside Limite is another one (I don't think this forum will like Bye Bye Brasil), but I have no intention to use a TSPDT film. So if Arthur wants Brazil, just take it :)

And it's too early to say SK will lose. It's obscure but it's a hidden treasure. This group is strong, so it may favour the less polarizing one.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

I'll see the Korean doc this weekend. It does look great. Did you ever see this zhangalan: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/dalpaengee+eui+byeol/

It's phenomenal.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ArthurYanthar
Mar 21 2015, 09:12:18 AM
I'll see the Korean doc this weekend. It does look great. Did you ever see this zhangalan: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/dalpaengee+eui+byeol/

It's phenomenal.
mjf recommended it to me for the Cup (well, he did mention it's your favourite), but I haven't checked it yet. Will definitely see it later. Looks like my cup of tea :P .

But guess I've planned SK for up to Round 3. (next is a horror and then a promise to monty :sweat: )
Edited by zhangalan, Mar 21 2015, 09:18:53 AM.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
zhangalan
Mar 21 2015, 09:17:26 AM
mjf recommended it to me for the Cup (well, he did mention it's your favourite), but I haven't checked it yet. Will definitely see it later. Looks like my cup of tea :P .
I didn't recommend it, I just mentioned that Arthur favorited it and that it had a good Mubi rating.

I'm hoping you'll pick Sonagi for one of the later rounds. Just make sure you pick it after it enters the DtC list so as not to sabotage its chances.
Edited by mjf314, Mar 21 2015, 10:45:03 AM.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mjf314
Mar 21 2015, 10:42:57 AM
zhangalan
Mar 21 2015, 09:17:26 AM
I didn't recommend it, I just mentioned that Arthur favorited it and that it had a good Mubi rating.

I'm hoping you'll pick Sonagi for one of the later rounds. Just make sure you pick it after it enters the DtC list so as not to sabotage its chances.
Isn't Sonagi mixed blood? :o

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
I found this group to be weak. After watching Songhwan, I thought the film would probably end up being ranked dead last for me... but then I watched the other films :lol:

1. Songhwan
2. Iko shashvi mgalobeli
3. O Pagador de Promessas

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
zhangalan
Mar 21 2015, 10:47:53 AM
Are you talking about country of origin? I think it's purely South Korean if I'm not mistaken.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mjf314
Mar 21 2015, 10:57:19 PM
zhangalan
Are you talking about country of origin? I think it's purely South Korean if I'm not mistaken.
I don't know.
I check Douban and it mentions Japan and South Korea.
http://movie.douban.com/subject/5356171/

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
zhangalan
Mar 22 2015, 01:07:40 AM
mjf314
zhangalan
I don't know.
That's the wrong Sonagi. It's this one: http://movie.douban.com/subject/4162131/

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mjf314
Mar 22 2015, 02:40:42 AM
zhangalan
mjf314
zhangalan
I don't know.
That's the wrong Sonagi. It's this one: http://movie.douban.com/subject/4162131/
Oh, I see.

Alright, I'll watch it later, both for DTC and this Cup. B)

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ok, Black Bird is definitely gonna be my third.
Now should I wait until the last minute to decide which one I should root for? :think:
Edited by zhangalan, Mar 22 2015, 03:46:47 AM.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
zhangalan
Mar 22 2015, 03:44:09 AM
mjf314
Mar 22 2015, 02:40:42 AM
zhangalan
mjf314
zhangalan
I don't know.
Oh, I see.

Alright, I'll watch it later, both for DTC and this Cup. B)
I've mentioned this in the past, but make sure you watch the 720p version.

Lilarcor
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Songhwan
The director had incredible access but very little "good" footage to go on at it shows and I think it harms the docu a little that so much has to be relied on the narration.
There are however several strong moments, such as

O Pagador de Promessas
I wasn't on board with this until the very end which features one of the most powerful imagery I've seen in any film.

Iko shashvi mgalobeli
Didn't at all resonate with me. That being said I loved the idea of the movie making fun of the job of a percussionist in an orchestra. Actually a kind of stressful movie to watch, which is also part of the point.

1. O Pagador de Promessas 7/10
2. Songhwan 7/10
3. Iko shashvi mgalobeli 7/10

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lilarcor
Mar 22 2015, 12:12:25 PM
Songhwan
The director had incredible access but very little "good" footage to go on at it shows and I think it harms the docu a little that so much has to be relied on the narration.

O Pagador de Promessas
I wasn't on board with this until the very end which features one of the most powerful imagery I've seen in any film.

Iko shashvi mgalobeli
Didn't at all resonate with me. That being said I loved the idea of the movie making fun of the job of a percussionist in an orchestra. Actually a kind of stressful movie to watch, which is also part of the point.

2. Songhwan 7/10
That scene in Repatriation is really touching, so I contact mjf and use it as the screencap in this thread. I also like the way it is shown in static pictures(just like Marker's La Jatee). This captures the emotional flow inside.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A few words on Black Bird. Typical Otar, but I was not connected at all. Guess my favourite Otar so far is the not so Otar but more Tati resembled one, Aprili.

Lilarcor
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
zhangalan
Mar 22 2015, 01:44:15 PM
Lilarcor
Mar 22 2015, 12:12:25 PM
Songhwan

O Pagador de Promessas

Iko shashvi mgalobeli

2. Songhwan 7/10
That scene in Repatriation is really touching, so I contact mjf and use it as the screencap in this thread. I also like the way it is shown in static pictures(just like Marker's La Jatee). This captures the emotional flow inside.
Agreed. He makes the utmost of a rather poor quality footage there.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
1. Promessas 7/10
I was on board with this all along, not "my" theme, the ending not all that impressive. just a solid film all over the board
2. Songhwan
how you say a slog to get through. too much information. edit an hour and it would have been worthwhile
3. Mgalobeli 4.5/10
Edited by Armoreska, Mar 23 2015, 06:01:05 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Since last group I'm not going to make any predictions anymore......

First week 5 votes. Promessas in the lead.

Songhwan - Iko
4 - 1
Songhwan - Promessas
2 - 3
Iko - Promessas
2 - 3

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quite easy to rank them this time for me. Also, I have seen The Given Word just a few months back, so I once add my votes quite early. Given Word is among my very favorite films so far invovled in the whole World Cup:

1. O Pagador de Promessas
2. Songhwan
3. Iko shashvi mgalobeli

My thoughts:

O Pagador de Promessas / The Given Word (1962, Anselmo Duarte)
Great film about a guy who carries a cross to a church, because he made his promise to a saint. As he made that promise to a more tribalistic unsactioned mix-form of the saint, the priest won't let him in and the guy stays there until he may deliver his cross and a crowd gathers in admiration of the guy. Great critical filmmaking, critizing church authority, media, authoritorial state structures and human hypocrisy along the way among other things. And the film even looks pretty good too. And the last escalating 30 minutes are as good a finale as any you can see.
8.5/10

Songhwan / Repatriation (2003, Dong-won Kim)
Docu about a group of former North Korean spies that have been in prison for decades and their struggles to life in South Korea and get back to the North. Good subject, good multi-faceted and intimate portrayal. Perhaps a bit too much bias on the side of the docu-maker (I prefer rather "neutral" docus), but that fits well within the film and you can see his development over the years.
7.5/10

Iko shashvi mgalobeli / Once Upon a Time There Was a Singing Blackbird (1972, Otar Iosseliani)
Film about an easy-going musician who just lives the day and doesn't think much about responsibilities, but is also in a way kind of fed up with his own aimlessness. Nice free flowing in nature, but the lack of structure also got a bit stale for me after a while.
6.5/10

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
pretty much in agreement with metaller's comments on the three films, but I rank them slightly different:

1. Repatriation
2. The Given Word
3. Once Upon a Time There Was a Singing Blackbird

gave the edge to Repatriation as I think it was a brave & interesting choice - a film I would not have watched otherwise & very much not a safe pick for a game like this. in style and somewhat in subject, it reminded me of The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On and Imamura's In Search of the Unreturned Soldiers films, as intimate documents of men who have been left out of place & time in the aftermath of conflict. fascinating documentary making & it doesn't bother me that the maker involves himself in the documentary as I think it is more honest that way.

Angel Glez
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Once Upon a Time There Was a Singing Blackbird
2. Repatriation
3. The Given Word

Iosseliani's cinema is apparently simple and light but it's also profound and lively. And Blackbird is probably his best achievement.

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Have already seen The Given Word. It promised a lot (excuse the pun) in the beginning but wandered off a little in the middle but managed to redeem by the end. 7.8

Finished around 90 minutes of Repatriation. Good information about a piece of history that I have not heard so far. But never looked like its going to beat Given Word and I don't think the final hour will be any different. So it sits at the second place currently.

And I don't know on what basis rate documentaries. Topic? Content? Impact? Presentation? All of the above together? Acting, plot, screenplay and technical qualities (visuals, music mainly) are major factors for me to rate a feature film but in doc's case they are almost non existent. So far I'm rating based on Impact alone and that is why I gave 4 for The Way South, which I don't feel fair now.
Edited by tommy_leazaq, Mar 24 2015, 07:02:30 PM.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. O Pagador de Promessas 8/10
2. Songhwan 7.5/10

Bit of a mixed bag here. O Pagador is the only great movie. Songhwan is very interesting and i liked the personal approach, but it doesn't offer much else and might also have a touch too much of a homemovie feel. Mgalobeli i saw a longtime ago, but i remember most that i wasn't very impressed by it...
Edited by beavis, Mar 24 2015, 09:46:35 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
beavis
Mar 24 2015, 09:35:53 PM
1. O Pagador de Promessas 8/10
2. Songhwan 7.5/10
So far 5 out of 9 people voted this way.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
I don't want to bump the other thread so I'll post it here instead:

Those of you who liked When the Tenth Month Comes should check out The Guava House by the same director. I just watched it and I liked it better than WtTMC. It's probably also less divisive, so maybe it could've won the match if it was chosen. I seem to be the only forum member who has seen it.

I still need to watch Nostalgia for Countryland which I've heard some good things about.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
afew days before we start the next group. Only very few groups left, so I want to ask, when will we start nomination for Round 2?

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
zhangalan
Mar 28 2015, 02:36:39 PM
afew days before we start the next group. Only very few groups left, so I want to ask, when will we start nomination for Round 2?
Seems logical after the group stage is done. :shrug: It's coming near :clap:

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mario Gaborović
Mar 28 2015, 03:24:19 PM
zhangalan
Which means we'll have a short break between each round?

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
zhangalan
Mar 28 2015, 03:45:48 PM
Mario Gaborović
Mar 28 2015, 03:24:19 PM
zhangalan
Which means we'll have a short break between each round?
No, I don't think that's necessary. I meant on the same day that the last group ends, the managers who progressed past R1 should reveal their picks. A week from then on should be enough for all to make choices.

Edit: If this week for choice-making counts as break, then yes.
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Mar 28 2015, 05:55:28 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film World Cup · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone