Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum Film World Cup match 1N: England vs Norway vs Egypt; Voting deadline: Apr 19
Topic Started: Mar 29 2015, 08:16:38 AM (3,217 Views)
mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is match 1N of the iCM Forum Film World Cup.

CountryOriginal TitleEnglish TitleYearManager
EnglandA Cottage on Dartmoor1929jeff_v
NorwayJaktenThe Chasers1959joachimt
EgyptAl-mummiaThe Night of Counting the Years1969kingink

Screenshots

Voting Rules:
- You must watch all 3 films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 3 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

The winner of the match is the film that beats the other 2 films head-to-head. If A "beats" B, it means that A is ranked higher than B more often than B is ranked higher than A. If there's no winner using this method, it'll be decided by average rank.

Here's a quick summary of how the tournament works

iCM list for round 1
Edited by mjf314, Mar 29 2015, 09:44:30 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Nice, Jakten has been in my folder for a few weeks now. This will make me actually watch it very soon.

I can already say that I liked Al-mummia more than A Cottage on Dartmoor. So happy that Al-mummia was chosen instead of one of Youssef Chahine's shitty films.
Edited by XxXApathy420XxX, Mar 29 2015, 08:43:31 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
Egypt to english title should probably be The Mummy

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ArthurYanthar
Mar 29 2015, 08:31:14 AM
Nice, Jakten has been in my folder for a few weeks now. This will make me actually watch it very soon.

I can already say that I liked Al-mummia more than A Cottage on Dartmoor. So happy that Al-mummia was chosen instead of one of Youssef Chahine's shitty films.
Why? I start to wonder if you can read my mind. The only exception is I haven't watched Cottage yet.

I also have kept the file for Jakten for several months yet still haven't watched it. And I agree on the Al-mummia vs Chahine comparison. Al-mummia will definitely receive more acclaim than Cairo Station if it is not restricted by its availability.
Edited by zhangalan, Mar 29 2015, 09:21:57 AM.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Chahine is not that bad, but he's not very good either. Iskanderija... lih? is a very good film but none of his other films that I've watched are even close to that one. You should watch that one ArthurYanthar. Give him one last chance ^_^

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Only have to watch Cottage. Of the other two Jakten is clearly my favorite, but that's not a surprise since I chose it myself. ^_^

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
A round where I've already seen all three! My rank:

1. Al-Mummia - love the atmosphere of this one.
2. A Cottage on Dartmoor - impressive late silent. indeed possibly the finest British silent film, though I personally preferred another Asquith film, Underground.
3. Jakten - I remember quite liking this, but it hasn't stuck with me all that well.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've already seen all three of them as well but I'm having a really hard time figuring the ranking in this group since all three of them are 9/10 for me.

I'll have to go with my gut on this one.
1. Al-Mummia - The atmosphere is it's greatest asset, but I also prefer it's more profound message in comparison with the other two films.
2. A Cottage on Dartmoor - A great silent that amazed me with it's wonderful direction and it's engaging story.
3. Jakten - Another great movie, that pains me to rank it last, but I just prefer the other two a bit more.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
kingink
Mar 29 2015, 01:02:10 PM
I've already seen all three of them as well but I'm having a really hard time figuring the ranking in this group since all three of them are 9/10 for me.
:blink:
So we got another group of death?

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Mar 29 2015, 01:12:13 PM
kingink
:blink:
So we got another group of death?
I think this is as expected. -_-

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I expect this to be a derby up to the final point among all three of them! At least I hope so... for the fun of the game.
So this could really be the ultimate group of death!

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A Cottage on Dartmoor (8)
Al-mummia (8)
Jakten (7,5)

Three very different movies with one thing in common, they build a great atmosphere, a world of their own that sometimes approaches something dreamlike. Cottage on Dartmoor has long been my favorite UK silent movie. Very expressionistic and there isn't anything in there that I would change. The other two come close but lacked a kind of wow factor I would have hoped for.

With Al-mummia it might be the picture quality of the rip, because both the slow pacing and the sparse sounddesign work wonders to create that dreamlike mood... but I would have liked it more mysterious or more grandiose in the imagery... not exactly sure what, but I just wasn't wowed over, like this movie clearly could have done looking at all the ingredients

With Jakten it is the other way around. There I didn't really like the "ingredients", but I was glued to the screen anyway. Some of the things that shouldn't work are unrealistic or at least unlikable characters and a new wavy breaching of the fourth wall that makes it all feel too constructed... especially that ending (just at the point where I was thinking "this turned out much better than the beginning made me expect" there is another breach that almost totally ruins it, because that kind of trickery just isn't cute anymore after it has been done to death). But the cinematography is great. And a lot of the flashback constrcution also really works well and keeps adding to the story. Finally the place where this is shot has it's own and totally suitable kind of desolate atmosphere... a lot to like, just not the great masterpiece I would have expected from some ratings, and third in this strong pool of movies.
Edited by beavis, Mar 29 2015, 03:06:34 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Three #3 votes for Jakten already. :'(

Is this loss going to be even worse than how I lost Finland?

brokenface
Member Avatar
joachimt
Mar 29 2015, 03:34:53 PM
Three #3 votes for Jakten already. :'(

Is this loss going to be even worse than how I lost Finland?
no I think it will do alright - after all, it has a very high spot on 500<400. just tough competition.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
1. Jakten
2. Al-mummia
3. Cottage

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't really remember liking Al-mummia, but apparently the rating I gave when I watched the film last year is higher than the ratings I gave for A Cottage on Dartmoor and Jakten when I watched those films today, so I'll just put Al-mummia at number one ^_^ All these films were in the "meh" category for me. I didn't hate them, but I do not passionately like any of them. Ranking between A Cottage on Dartmoor and Jakten was probably the hardest films to rank between out of all the film matchups so far because I have no preference between the two and ranking them was mostly based on a "gut" decision.

1. Al-mummia
2. A Cottage on Dartmoor
3. Jakten

frbrown
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
brokenface
Mar 29 2015, 12:23:41 PM
1. Al-Mummia - love the atmosphere of this one.

kingink
1. Al-Mummia - The atmosphere is it's greatest asset

This has me intrigued. What kind of atmosphere is it?

EDIT: beavis also mentions "great atmosphere" :woot:
Edited by frbrown, Mar 29 2015, 11:57:59 PM.

brokenface
Member Avatar
watch it and find out..

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
frbrown
Mar 29 2015, 11:56:27 PM
It's been awhile since I watched it, but if I remember correctly, it was mostly nitrogen, and also some oxygen, and small amounts of various other stuff. There may have been some pollution as well, but judging from all the "great atmosphere" comments, I guess the air must have been pretty clean.
Edited by mjf314, Mar 30 2015, 12:13:01 AM.

beavis
Member Avatar
Absurd Hero
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
is this not a correct English expression? the Dutch "atmosfeer" also means mood, not only the air that surrounds the earth :)
In the Egyptian one the mood is dreamlike with slow pacing, constant howling of wind on the soundtrack, and stilted or no emotions from the actors.... so maybe a little more nitrogen compared to the usual air composition ;)

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
beavis
Mar 30 2015, 12:18:25 AM
is this not a correct English expression? the Dutch "atmosfeer" also means mood, not only the air that surrounds the earth :)
In the Egyptian one the mood is dreamlike with slow pacing, constant howling of wind on the soundtrack, and stilted or no emotions from the actors.... so maybe a little more nitrogen compared to the usual air composition ;)
It has the same definitions in English.

frbrown
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
mjf314
Mar 30 2015, 12:12:25 AM
frbrown
Mar 29 2015, 11:56:27 PM
It's been awhile since I watched it, but if I remember correctly, it was mostly nitrogen, and also some oxygen, and small amounts of various other stuff. There may have been some pollution as well, but judging from all the "great atmosphere" comments, I guess the air must have been pretty clean.
Isn't that the same atmosphere that the English and the Norwegian film have :think: What's so great about the Egyptian one? Is the air cleaner in the desert than on the moors?

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
frbrown
Mar 30 2015, 12:32:26 AM
Isn't that the same atmosphere that the English and the Norwegian film have :think: What's so great about the Egyptian one? Is the air cleaner in the desert than on the moors?
The Norwegian film probably has the cleanest air of the 3, if I had to guess.

A film that takes place in a cleanroom would have an even better atmosphere, but I don't think I've seen any films about cleanrooms.
Edited by mjf314, Mar 30 2015, 12:46:03 AM.

perceval
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
1. Cottage at Dartmoor

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Asquit is literary shooting air, naturally "the atmosphere is great".

2. The Chasers

3. The Night of Counting the Years

Three very good films and maybe the most difficult group to rank in the whole cup so far. I have seen both The Night of Counting the Years (the Film Foundation restoration, it is not available on Internet yet?) and Chasers on 35 mm. B)

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
perceval
Mar 30 2015, 07:27:23 AM
I have seen both The Night of Counting the Years (the Film Foundation restoration, it is not available on Internet yet?) and Chasers on 35 mm. B)
Oh! Nice! :thumbsup:
I guess the atmosphere is even better on 35 mm ^_^

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
perceval
Mar 30 2015, 07:27:23 AM
1. Cottage at Dartmoor

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Asquit is literary shooting air, naturally "the atmosphere is great".

2. The Chasers

3. The Night of Counting the Years

Three very good films and maybe the most difficult group to rank in the whole cup so far. I have seen both The Night of Counting the Years (the Film Foundation restoration, it is not available on Internet yet?) and Chasers on 35 mm. B)
I think CC may release another series of World Cinema Foundation like it did before. I am still waiting for their release for Brighter Summer Day.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Jakten
2. Al-mummia
3. A Cottage on Dartmoor

brokenface
Member Avatar
zhangalan
Mar 30 2015, 11:06:50 AM
I think CC may release another series of World Cinema Foundation like it did before. I am still waiting for their release for Brighter Summer Day.
seems to have gone quiet on them. Both Criterion and MoC released boxsets in 2013 which were supposed to be first in ongoing series and since then...nothing. restoration of Brighter Summer Day dearly needs to be released, as the version out there is barely watchable.

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
brokenface
Mar 30 2015, 05:30:50 PM
zhangalan
seems to have gone quiet on them. Both Criterion and MoC released boxsets in 2013 which were supposed to be first in ongoing series and since then...nothing. restoration of Brighter Summer Day dearly needs to be released, as the version out there is barely watchable.
supposedly, A Brighter Summer Day is the holdup on the whole series. Legal issues regarding the Elvis music, I think.

brokenface
Member Avatar
funkybusiness
Mar 30 2015, 06:47:57 PM
brokenface
Mar 30 2015, 05:30:50 PM
zhangalan
supposedly, A Brighter Summer Day is the holdup on the whole series. Legal issues regarding the Elvis music, I think.
would make sense. that is the big name of the collection - can't imagine the first batch was a particularly big seller.

really sucks when music issues like that get films stuck in rights hell. I mean ffs have they not made enough money off Elvis' music yet that they can just waive fees on things like this?

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
1. Jakten
2. Cottage
3. Al-mummia

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As you can see Joachim, Jakten is fighting back!
This is gonna be interesting.

epp
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
1. Jakten
2. Al-mummia
3. A Cottage on Dartmoor

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
Cottage slipping into 3rd

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Interesting head-to-head at the moment:

A Cottage on Dartmoor - Jakten
5 - 4
A Cottage on Dartmoor - Al-mummia
3 - 6
Jakten - Al-mummia
5 - 4

A three way tie. Al-mummia has a minor lead on average rank. Everything is possible in this group. :woot:

Lilarcor
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
All three are great films and it's a bit of a struggle to pick what to put on top and bottom. All three lack the little extra for me to put them among my favorites but I'll definitely rewatch all three at a later point because they are so interesting films within their countries.

1. A Cottage on Dartmoor
2. Jakten
3. Al-mummia

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

1. Al-mummia 7/10
2. Jakten 6/10
3. A Cottage on Dartmoor 6/10

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Lilarcor
Mar 31 2015, 07:35:01 PM
All three are great films and it's a bit of a struggle to pick what to put on top and bottom. All three lack the little extra for me to put them among my favorites but I'll definitely rewatch all three at a later point because they are so interesting films within their countries.

1. A Cottage on Dartmoor
2. Jakten
3. Al-mummia
Your vote was exactly what was needed to get a complete three way tie at this moment. Head-to-head and average score.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Btw, just a few more votes and this group will pass group M. There are currently 16 votes in M with 5 days left, but there are already 11 votes in N.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. Jakten - 7/10
2. A Cottage on Dartmoor - 6/10
3. Al-mummia - 6/10

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film World Cup · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone