Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum Film World Cup match 1O: Hungary vs Belgium vs Indonesia; Voting deadline: May 3
Topic Started: Apr 12 2015, 03:26:51 AM (2,723 Views)
mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is match 1O of the iCM Forum Film World Cup.

CountryOriginal TitleEnglish TitleYearManager
HungaryAz ötödik pecsétThe Fifth Seal1976mjf314
BelgiumLe huitičme jourThe Eighth Day1996Samlion
IndonesiaOpera JawaRequiem from Java2006globetrotter

Screenshots

Voting Rules:
- You must watch all 3 films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 3 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

The winner of the match is the film that beats the other 2 films head-to-head. If A "beats" B, it means that A is ranked higher than B more often than B is ranked higher than A. If there's no winner using this method, it'll be decided by average rank.

Here's a quick summary of how the tournament works

iCM list for round 1
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
way to go, globetrotter, not picking a film with an ordinal number in the title. :/

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Az otodik pecset
2. Opera Jawa
3. Le huitieme jour
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

globetrotter
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
Opera Jawa is a wonderful film, but you need to watch it with the right expectations.

Opera Jawa is a lush Indonesian musical performed in tembang style. It tells the story of “The Abduction of Sita" from the Hindu epic "The Ramayana". While there is a narrative, it's really not what this film is about. The story is well known in Indonesia and in large parts of Asia, so you could read the plot before watching.

What's great about it is the sensory overload and polish: lavish sets, beautiful cinematography, gamelan music and Javanese dance. It's a feast for the eyes. Sumptuous, colorful, exotic and even hypnotic. This film is unlike any other, a true showcase of Javanese language and culture. There is a lot of symbolism and metaphors involved, I also didn't get all of it, but I don't think it's a problem.

I think it's best to just sit back and let yourself be impressed. A film like this is not for everyone, but I picked it anyway, because I think it should have a wider recognition. I'm quite curious what people will think of it :lol:
Edited by globetrotter, Apr 12 2015, 08:22:29 AM.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Why wasn't this the choice for Indonesia?

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
globetrotter
Apr 12 2015, 08:19:16 AM
Opera Jawa is a wonderful film, but you need to watch it with the right expectations.
I guess I had the wrong expectations. I disliked it. Will quite certainly end last for me. Still have to see the Belgian movie, though.

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Le huitičme jour

:satstunned:

I call foul play.
Edited by Onderhond, Apr 12 2015, 03:22:01 PM.

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
Catchy tunes, lovely dancing, enchanting storytelling and terrific acting/singing (like the guys @ 03:34) - what more could one possibly ask?
Soo much better than any Hollywood/West End musical, including Busby Berkeley or Lloyd Webber! Why isn't there an iCM list for this genre of Indonesian movies?
Edited by monty, Apr 12 2015, 04:22:30 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
monty
Apr 12 2015, 04:19:36 PM
Catchy tunes, lovely dancing, enchanting storytelling and terrific acting/singing (like the guys @ 03:34) - what more could one possibly ask?
Soo much better than any Hollywood/West End musical, including Busby Berkeley or Lloyd Webber! Why isn't there an iCM list for this genre of Indonesian movies?
Because you specifically mentioned the guys at 3:34, I'm thinking your post is cynical, but I'm not sure. :unsure:
Edited by joachimt, Apr 12 2015, 05:21:48 PM.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
ArthurYanthar
Apr 12 2015, 08:26:08 AM

:lol:

I've never finished a movie with Sasha Grey in it before, so this might be a good opportunity.

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
The Eighth Day is probably the film I liked most in the World Cup for all the films I haven't watched previously (and if I included films I had watched before, this film would rank second among them). I wasn't impressed by the other two films and I can't rank them both last :'(

1. Le huitičme jour
2. Opera Jawa
3. Az ötödik pecsét

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Not a very impresseive group. :(

1. Az ötödik pecsét (small 7/10)
2. Le huitičme jour (6/10)
3. Opera Jawa (4/10

I heard good things about Az ötödik pecsét, but was a bit disappointed when I watched it a few weeks ago. It was good enough, but nothing blew me away.

As said, I disliked Opera Jawa. I was really bored by it and that doesn't happen often.

In the first 30 minutes of Le huitičme jour I thought it would end up on first place, but unfortunately from then more and more ridiculous scenes started happening. I thought I was watching a lighthearted drama with some funny moments, but the comedic aspects grew bigger and that made the drama part less believable. Also some scenes were totally unbelievable. The biggest plot-disappointment was the scene where he finally got Georges to his sister. From that moment I accepted the movie as a comedy that shouldn't be taken too seriously. And as a comedy it wasn't all that great, so it ended up as an easy to watch pleasant movie, but nothing more for me.

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gershwin
Apr 12 2015, 06:49:13 PM
ArthurYanthar

I've never finished a movie with Sasha Grey in it before, so this might be a good opportunity.
From the look of the trailer I don't know if this or Sasha Grey's "usual" films have more cinematic value. :shrug:

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
metaller
Apr 12 2015, 09:02:02 PM
Gershwin
ArthurYanthar

From the look of the trailer I don't know if this or Sasha Grey's "usual" films have more cinematic value. :shrug:
I guess her regular films are more entertaining, at least.

monty
Member Avatar
Gershwin
Apr 12 2015, 10:36:54 PM
metaller
Gershwin
ArthurYanthar

But do you manage to finish them?

SanderO
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Az otodik pecset
2. Opera Jawa
3. Le huitieme jour

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
monty
Apr 12 2015, 10:55:16 PM
Gershwin
Apr 12 2015, 10:36:54 PM
metaller
Gershwin
ArthurYanthar

But do you manage to finish them?
You already quoted the answer. -_-
But generally I'm not a ibg fan of her selections.
Edited by Gershwin, Apr 13 2015, 02:46:07 PM.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
funkybusiness
Apr 12 2015, 04:26:02 AM
way to go, globetrotter, not picking a film with an ordinal number in the title. :/
The fault is with the person sorting the matches
Tatlong taong walang Diyos was available in Pot 3

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Watched all three, no difficulty ranking them this round.
Props to Globetrotter for an unusual and quite inspired choice, even though I didn't put it in first place.

1. Az ötödik pecsét / The Fifth Seal
2. Opera Jawa
3. Le huitičme jour / The Eighth Day

My thoughts on each film:

Az ötödik pecsét / The Fifth Seal (1976, Zoltán Fábri)
A morality tale / philosophical film about how much a man's morality can be bent or proven and what one thinks of oneself. Starts out as a mind game around a tavern table and ends in a fascist prison. Really good, especially if you like morally ambiguous "what would you do, when"-scenarios. And technically more than solid wth some inspired sequences.
7.5/10

Opera Jawa (2006, Garin Nugroho)
Mixture of the retelling of a traditional (Javanese? Indonesian? Hindu?) folk saga about a love triangle in times of unrest, with the means of modenrized tradtional music, a modernized version of tradtional dance and a quite staggering mis-en-scene with some beautiful staging and great vision. Unfortunately, it creeps along really slowly, and I was tired while watching. I wanted to like it more, but I just couldn't despite that I loved its intentions and its way of appoaching its theme.
Might give it a rewatch some time, as in principle and in a lot of single insatnces this is quite beautiful stuff.
7/10

Le huitičme jour / The Eighth Day (1996, Jaco Van Dormael)
A guy who has some troubles in his personal life (his wife left him with their kids) learns to see life diffrently after he meets and takes care for a guy with (high functional) Down Syndrome (I guess) and takes on his values in life. Too sweet. Feels emtionally manipulative in a not good way. Too calculated endearing, whimsical and saccarine, which makes me quite a bit angry cause there were some good scenes in it that get drowned out being surrounded by those fake feeling scenes.
6/10

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

The Eighth Day was chosen to sabotage Belgium. I will not accept any other reason for why it was Belgium's choice. I still gotta think about my rating but it might even get 1/10
Edited by XxXApathy420XxX, Apr 21 2015, 02:34:26 AM.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
mjf314
Nov 15 2014, 02:58:57 AM
zhangalan
Nov 15 2014, 01:29:57 AM
I wonder if this will be the most one-side match in Round 1.
I hope it won't be one-sided. Ilektra is the real #1 for this match. People should start voting correctly.

Group E with Muddy River might be the most one-sided, or possibly group O with The Fifth Seal. Does anyone not love The Fifth Seal? It's rated 8.8/10 on IMDb, 4.4/5 on Mubi, and #37 iCM Most Favorite. Those stats are hard to beat.
It looks like my prediction might come true. So far, 4/5 people ranked The Fifth Seal #1. Is it going to stay that way, or have the haters not voted yet?

The stats are even better now. It's #12 on the iCM Most Favorite list, and I think it was in the top 10 at one point.
Edited by mjf314, Apr 21 2015, 02:52:36 AM.

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Haven't seen Opera Jawa yet.

The Fifth Seal is my most favorite out of the 46 films I have seen so far in this WC. Don't know if Indonesia or Mozambique will claim the title by the end of it. 8.3/10

As for Eighth day, I echo Joachimt's sentiments. It started out so good but ended up an average light hearted feel good movie. Few beautiful moments surrounded by many illogical and mediocre scenes. 6.2/10

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ArthurYanthar
Apr 21 2015, 02:30:02 AM
The Eighth Day was chosen to sabotage Belgium. I will not accept any other reason for why it was Belgium's choice. I still gotta think about my rating but it might even get 1/10
It is one of the films you love to hate.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Opera Jawa might be a memorable film for me, even if I didn't really love it.

1. Az ötödik pecsét [The Fifth Seal] (1976) 7/10
2. Opera Jawa (2006) 6/10
3. Le huitičme jour [The Eighth Day] (1996) 2/10

Easy win for The Fifth Seal, although I'm not a huge fanboy like most of the people that seen it.

Mjf, I'm assuming that Az én XX. századom [My Twentieth Century] will be your choice for the next round? Adoption would be a great choice as well.

I'd also suggest Nárcisz és Psyché, which isn't as amazing but very underwatched (and Udo Kier apparently said that this might be his favourite film that he was involved in). But the film is over 4 hours and this competition has some silly no 3+ hour movies rule.
Edited by XxXApathy420XxX, Apr 21 2015, 06:05:45 AM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
So far 5 out of 6 people voted Az ötödik pecsét at #1. I wonder if it stays this way.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
ArthurYanthar
Apr 21 2015, 06:02:50 AM
Mjf, I'm assuming that Az én XX. századom [My Twentieth Century] will be your choice for the next round? Adoption would be a great choice as well.
I haven't decided yet. I'll watch a few more Hungarian films before I pick one.

Feherlofia would probably be another easy win but maybe I should save it for a later round.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

mjf314
Apr 21 2015, 06:12:54 AM
ArthurYanthar

Feherlofia would probably be another easy win but maybe I should save it for a later round.Daliás idők [Heroic Times]
Omg totally forgot about that, same with Daliás idők [Heroic Times]

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
ArthurYanthar
Apr 21 2015, 06:15:01 AM
mjf314
ArthurYanthar

Feherlofia would probably be another easy win but maybe I should save it for a later round.Daliás idők [Heroic Times]
If Heroic Times does well in DtC then maybe I'll consider picking it.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
mjf314
Apr 21 2015, 06:20:15 AM
ArthurYanthar
Apr 21 2015, 06:15:01 AM
mjf314
ArthurYanthar

If Heroic Times does well in DtC then maybe I'll consider picking it.
How about Final Cut?

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Gershwin
Apr 21 2015, 02:33:21 PM
How about Final Cut?
I didn't like it enough, so I don't think I'll choose it.

I prefer La classe américaine, which is based on a similar concept (using scenes from many different films), but it has more of a story and it's funnier. At the moment it's 1 spot behind Final Cut on the iCM Most Favorite list.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
This was very easy to rank. One good, one mediocre and one terrible movie.

1. Az ötödik pecsét: 8.2 - The part in which they sit around and talk is already interesting and decent. But the part when they are being held captive and have to make that horrible choice at the end, is when it really gets very good.
2. Le huitieme jour: 6.5 - It's a very formulaic movie. But at the same time tries very hard not to be. Which is most evident in the endig, in which it seems van Dormael couldn't decide if he should end on a happy or sad note.
3. Opera Jawa: 2.5 - I didn't like anything about this movie. Can't remember being this bored since a very long time. After globetrotters warning I didn't expect much of the plot, but more of a movie experience. But it's just plain dull. Not only the worst movie in the WC, but the worst movie I've seen in years. It has absolutely zero redeeming qualities.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Apr 22 2015, 11:59:37 AM.

monty
Member Avatar
Lonewolf2003
Apr 22 2015, 11:48:19 AM
3. Opera Jawa: 2.5 - I didn't like anything about this movie. Can't remember being this bored since a very long time. After globetrotters warning I didn't expect much of the plot, but more of a movie experience. But it's just plain dull. Not only the worst movie in the WC, but the worst movie I've seen in years. It has absolutely zero redeeming qualities.
Well, don't say the trailer didn't warn you.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Lonewolf2003
Glad to see I'm not the only one disliking this movie. I rated it 4/10 because it had some nice images now and then, but overall I was just as bored as you were. For me this is also the lowest rating in the WC so far.

monty
Member Avatar
joachimt
Apr 22 2015, 01:34:21 PM
Lonewolf2003
Glad to see I'm not the only one disliking this movie. I rated it 4/10 because it had some nice images now and then, but overall I was just as bored as you were. For me this is also the lowest rating in the WC so far.
Then there's Israel...

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
monty
Apr 22 2015, 01:36:06 PM
joachimt
Apr 22 2015, 01:34:21 PM
Lonewolf2003
Then there's Israel...
Haven't seen it yet. Now I'm worried... :(

Lilarcor
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tough to decide which to put on the bottom here! One bored me to tears and the other kept me glued to the screen because it fueled my rage towards the film.

Az otodik pecset
Good! 7/10

Opera Jawa
This was an inaccessible film for me. Perhaps because I'm a dumb and ignorant foreigner a lot of the early scenes make no sense to me. Over time I started to see a sort of story unfold. I don't like how it is displayed though, through almost constant song and dance and a lot of the time it looks like theater to me. It doesn't at all help that I don't like the sounds of this film at all, lots of shrill voices that exhausted me. The experience of watching this reminded me a little of when I as a teenager went to China and saw some Peking opera. I didn't understand much of what was going on, but being there in the same room as the performers made it a special, memorable experience. Opera Jawa would probably be a fantastic thing to see in what I believe is the right format for this. On film however, I become very distant and bored in large parts due to how it is shot. 3/10

Le huitičme jour

Garbage. 2/10

1. Az otodik pecset
2. Opera Jawa
3. Le huitičme jour

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I watched Opera Jawa today.

I think this group may be even one-sided than the one with Muddy River (which encounters two good films of coz). Now it's meaningless to guess the winner. Let's guess which one is the worst of this group. At least the competition will be tougher that way.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
So far 7 out of 8 people voted Az ötödik pecsét at #1. The other two are disliked by several people. One week to go. I have the feeling we won't reach our average 25 voters this time. :(

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Apr 25 2015, 11:46:20 AM
So far 7 out of 8 people voted Az ötödik pecsét at #1. The other two are disliked by several people. One week to go. I have the feeling we won't reach our average 25 voters this time. :(
Maybe we should create more accounts.
At least our extra votes won't have much influence on the final result for this group.
Edited by zhangalan, Apr 25 2015, 11:59:19 AM.

monty
Member Avatar
Just declare a winner already and move on to the next group.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film World Cup · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone