Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum Film World Cup match 1P: Mexico vs Israel vs Mozambique; Voting deadline: May 17
Topic Started: Apr 26 2015, 04:55:33 AM (3,350 Views)
mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is match 1P of the iCM Forum Film World Cup.

CountryOriginal TitleEnglish TitleYearManager
MexicoLa perlaThe Pearl1947monty
IsraelHatuna MeuheretLate Marriage2001Angel Glez
MozambiqueO Jardim do Outro HomemAnother Man's Garden2007Mario Gaborovic

Screenshots

Voting Rules:
- You must watch all 3 films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 3 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

The winner of the match is the film that beats the other 2 films head-to-head. If A "beats" B, it means that A is ranked higher than B more often than B is ranked higher than A. If there's no winner using this method, it'll be decided by average rank.

Here's a quick summary of how the tournament works

iCM list for round 1
Edited by mjf314, Apr 26 2015, 08:07:26 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

I didn't see the other 2 movies but it's going to be VERY HARD to beat La perla.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, the first time I'm the first voter.

1. La Perla
2. Late Marriage
3. Another Man's Garden

Watched all 3 a long time ago. Not a strong group. Still better than last group. I had very low expectation for Another Man's Garden. It's amateurish but not as bad as I expected, and the acting is alright. The main problem is that somehow it gives me a feeling of watching TV series instead of movie.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
zhangalan
Apr 26 2015, 05:31:21 AM
Yes, the first time I'm the first voter.

1. La Perla
2. Late Marriage
3. Another Man's Garden

Watched all 3 a long time ago. Not a strong group. Still better than last group. I had very low expectation for Another Man's Garden. It's amateurish but not as bad as I expected, and the acting is alright. The main problem is that somehow it gives me a feeling of watching TV series instead of movie.
Huh? I don't remember watching any of these. :huh:
I'll rewatch them this week. :P

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Btw, mjf, you forgot to change the group-name when you copy-pasted the title. This is group P.

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
1. La Perla
2. Another Man's Garden
3. Late Marriage

Mozambique's entry has nice music and though it has an amateurish feel, it is interesting on an ethnographic level.
The Israeli film I just hated.
Edited by monty, Apr 26 2015, 12:59:27 PM.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. La Perla
2. Another Man's Garden
3. Late Marriage

Even though I'm Mozambique's manager, I admit La perla is a better film, yet not brilliant.

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Mario Gaborović
Apr 26 2015, 03:56:24 PM
Even though I'm Mozambique's manager, I admit La perla is a better film
Is this the first time in this WC, a manager gave top rating for a movie other than his own?

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Haven't seen Mozambique movie yet, and I rate Late Marriage slightly ahead of La Perla.

Angel Glez
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As Late Marriage has been ridiculed at the level of a Adam Sandler's movie, let me say to potential new viewers do not listen to what the false prophets are prophesying to you; they fill you with false hopes. :P

Quote:

From Georgia, With Love

Dover Koshashvili’s Late Marriage , from his own screenplay, turns out to be a remarkably mature first feature with a calculated anti-Ophulsian aesthetic. As the writer-director says in an interview, speaking of his male protagonist Zaza (Lior Ashkenazi): “From my viewpoint, Zaza’s situation is static, which is reflected in the camera’s fixed state. I do not wish to emphasize the dynamics of my lens. I want to focus the audience’s attention on the characters rather than on the means of expression.”

Of course, such directorial statements can be simply self-serving or misleading, or both. In this instance, however, Mr. Koshashvili practices what he preaches. With a more “dynamic” form of expression, his film would simply degenerate into another ethnically extended family farce on the subject of quaint marriage customs.

In the Georgian émigré community of Tel Aviv, Lili (Lili Koshashvili, the director’s mother) and Yasha (Moni Moshonov) are upset that their 31-year-old son Zaza has not yet married one of the many young virgins from good families to whom he has been introduced by his relentless parents. What’s wrong? Zaza’s secret reason for flouting tradition is Judith (Ronit Elkabetz), a beautiful 34-year-old Moroccan divorcée with whom he is passionately involved. To make matters worse for his Georgian parents, Judith has a 6-year-old daughter.

The centerpiece of the film is a realistic sex scene with Zaza and Judith that has already been hailed at film festivals around the world for its frankness and insightfulness. Here the director’s disdain for the “dynamic” camera movements that transform sexual coupling into an Olympic event imparts a physical sincerity to the union of Zaza and Judith. But immense obstacles remain for the two lovers over the long haul.

One night, Zaza’s entire extended family swoops down on the furtive lovers and seeks to terrorize the errant couple into conforming with Georgian tradition. After all, Judith is not a virgin and is three years older than Zaza. Judith remains dignified through this ordeal; instead of protesting, she simply affirms her love for Zaza. She knows that it’s up to him to make the decision to defy his family.

In the midst of this outrageous conflict between love and tradition, many subtleties of character are exposed. Zaza’s father and mother have never had an ideal marriage, but this fact does nothing to soften their stance. In addition, there are ominous signs that Zaza is far from prepared to break away from his parents financially. His mother, who brings a present for Judith’s little girl, has a heart-to-heart talk with Judith, and tells her husband afterward that Judith is a good woman, that they must wait to see if Zaza can get over her.

The careful compositions of the film and the middle distance the camera keeps from the characters reminds me in its cumulative force of the cinema of Yasujiro Ozu. The last scenes of the film are anguished, bitter and truthful. Mr. Koshashvili is a director to watch.

Andrew Sarris

monty
Member Avatar
Regarding the Israeli entry:

Posted Image

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Angel Glez
Apr 27 2015, 07:56:15 AM
As Late Marriage has been ridiculed at the level of a Adam Sandler's movie, let me say to potential new viewers do not listen to what the false prophets are prophesying to you
I wasn't ridiculing "Late Marriage". I just found family relations a bit awkward and funny, mostly regarding the dialogue about father's genitals. This was a well-intended joke, but weird as well. I think the film fails at giving other options to the main protagonist; in the end, he's nothing but a wimp unable to stand against (no less than) tribal laws that date back thousands of years ago, which doesn't mean they're not senseless in their very core.
Take traditional music, for example. It will always be highly regarded and more appreciated than best r'n'r lyrics you've ever heard, no matter how banal might be. Directors should overquestion the credibility of long-standing rituals and accepted conformism, rather than stay ok with that.
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Apr 27 2015, 09:17:00 AM.

Angel Glez
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
No problem, Mario. It's just to make potential viewers aware of wrong expectations (the very popular Lemon Popsicle or something like that).

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
:facepalm:

Posted Image

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
I do not have any problems with Zaza's weird behavious in that restroom. It is from a very frustrated man who is unable to make a bold decision and come out of his dependency on his parents; who is succumbed to the pressure from them; who is in almost depressed state that he lost his only true love; who is forced to get married; who is spineless to stand up to himself and hating himself for that. Its his way of getting back at/humiliate his father but can't do anymore than that as he is still depends upon them. I can very well understand and relate to his behaviour. I liked the whole marriage scene.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
tommy_leazaq
Apr 27 2015, 12:21:16 PM
I do not have any problems with Zaza's weird behavious in that restroom. It is from a very frustrated man who is unable to make a bold decision and come out of his dependency on his parents; who is succumbed to the pressure from them; who is in almost depressed state that he lost his only true love; who is forced to get married; who is spineless to stand up to himself and hating himself for that. Its his way of getting back at/humiliate his father but can't do anymore than that as he is still depends upon them. I can very well understand and relate to his behaviour. I liked the whole marriage scene.
...and he was drunk.

I really can't relate to Zaza. I can understand he's in a very difficult situation with his family, but I don't know enough of him as a person to see how he got to this point.

PLOT-SPOILERS

I don't really hate this movie. I'm more in the camp of the second review posted by Monty. It was a bit of waste of time. Really nothing special here. Don't understand why Angel picked this. I've seen several better movies from Israel from the Unesco-list. Also, I'm surprised this is on DtC. When it is revoted, it probably won't make it again.
Comparing it to Adam Sandler is a bit harsh though. 5/10

Going on to Africa......

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
joachimt
Apr 27 2015, 12:30:43 PM
...and he was drunk.

I really can't relate to Zaza. I can understand he's in a very difficult situation with his family, but I don't know enough of him as a person to see how he got to this point.

PLOT-SPOILERS
Being from a culture where we are really depend upon the parents till 20-25 years, both financially and emotionally, I can easily relate to him.

Spoiler: click to toggle

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
So I watched Mozambique. Without having seen La Perla, I expect it to be #1 for me. Two very mediocre movies so far.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, two impossible fixtures for the R2:

Turkey - Hungary
Chile - Mexico

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Denmark - Russia as well

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Chosing the #1 was very easy indeed and I can't imagine any of the other two making a chance in this group.

1. La perla 8/10
2. O Jardim do Outro Homem 5/10
3. Hatuna Meuheret 5/10

monty
Member Avatar
joachimt
Apr 28 2015, 09:10:51 AM
Chosing the #1 was very easy indeed and I can't imagine any of the other two making a chance in this group.
At least you got a new favorite scene out of this match-up:

Posted Image

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
tommy_leazaq
Apr 27 2015, 03:53:30 AM
Mario Gaboroviæ
Is this the first time in this WC, a manager gave top rating for a movie other than his own?
Nope. I voted for Ilektra over The Ascent. :happy:

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gershwin
Apr 28 2015, 04:59:30 PM
tommy_leazaq
Apr 27 2015, 03:53:30 AM
Mario Gaboroviæ
Nope. I voted for Ilektra over The Ascent. :happy:
Posted Image

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Mexico - La perla - Story is rather predictable, but has nice cinematography and atmosphere. - 7/10

Israel - Late Marriage - If I would have to summarize this movie in one word it would be awkward. - 6/10

Mozambique - O Jardim do Outro Homem - I wonder if student-pupil relations are really as prevalent in Mozambique as this film leads you to believe. 7/10

1. Mozambique - O Jardim do Outro Homem
2. Mexico - La perla
3. Israel - Late Marriage
Edited by jvv, Apr 29 2015, 10:59:36 AM.

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
La perla is really fortunate to be in this group, I was quitte dissapointed with it. Luckily for it the others were even more mediocre.

1. La perla: 6.5 - a too simplistic moral tale for my taste with one-dimensional villians that wouldn't be misplaced in a Disney movie. At least this one is pretty to look at.

2. Hatuna Meuheret: 6.2 - saw this awhile ago. I remember the characters being pretty realistic and liking that about it. But the movie not working storywise for me, mainly cause like Joachim I never buyed into that woman being the love of his life. Contrary to most I did like the ending, that goes against the expectations of a protaganist standing up for himself and finding his own way. This was also more realistic. But having said that, the choice never really stems from the character, it goes to unexplained why he ends up chosing tradition over love.

3. O Jardim do Outro Honem: 5.8 - it looks like it was shot with a cheap videocamera and the acting (apart from the main actress) was really poor, so I was counting on the plot to make up for that. But it never did, the plot doesn't really reach above a second-rate educational movie. What saves it, is it having a kind of positive energy.
Edited by Lonewolf2003, Apr 30 2015, 12:03:56 AM.

monty
Member Avatar
Lonewolf2003
Apr 29 2015, 11:45:12 PM

2. Hatuna Meuheret: 6.2 - saw this awhile ago. I remember the characters being pretty realistic
Say what? Really?

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Yea I wouldn't call the family realistic. Seems like they were meant to be absurd because the family's idea of tradition is also absurd.

Anyways, it was hilarious! Although nothing could beat the part where Zaza and his family meet Ilana. Now that's how you do awkward comedy. But still, it didn't beat La perla.
Edited by XxXApathy420XxX, May 2 2015, 05:21:58 AM.

Lilarcor
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I swear I didn't read any of the other reviews before writing my words on them. I think Lonewolf said it a lot better than me, even if we're not saying the exact same things.

O Jardim do Outro Honem
Visually it is fairly ugly and boring. I was interested in the story throughout though and while I sometimes felt that it was a movie made for showing in schools (partly in how it deals with the subject matter) it had some nice touches even there. I don't often see movies dealing with this subject in a way that lets you get some understanding of the culture and that is the strongest point of the film for me. Some minor annoyances, such as the recurring cut-to-scared-antilope feature but I was never angry at the movie. 6/10

Hatuna meuheret
There's a moment in the middle of the film that I found really great, it's actually before, during and right after the sex-scenes. One of the better sex scenes I've seen in a long time I think. Can't relate to the rest of the film, doesn't feel as grounded in the story as I think it should be. 6/10

La perla
Tense action, great final scenes. 7/10

1. La perla
2. O Jardim do Outro Honem
3. Hatuna meuheret

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

1. La perla [The Pearl] 9/10
2. חתונה מאוחרת [Late Marriage] 9/10
3. O Jardim do Outro Homem [Another Man's Garden] 5/10

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
ArthurYanthar
May 2 2015, 08:39:06 PM
Review please. Did we watch the same movie? :blink:

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
May 2 2015, 09:52:28 PM
ArthurYanthar
It's kinda "love it or hate it" humor. I guess it clicked with him. :unsure:

monty
Member Avatar
joachimt
ArthurYanthar
Just re-read his praise of In the Family. :P

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Meh round.

1. O Jardim do Outro Homem
2. Hatuna Meuheret
3. La perla

monty
Member Avatar
Cocoa
May 2 2015, 10:28:11 PM
Meh round.

2. Hatuna Meuheret
3. La perla
What made your #1 stand out?

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
monty
May 2 2015, 10:29:36 PM
Cocoa
May 2 2015, 10:28:11 PM
Meh round.

2. Hatuna Meuheret
3. La perla
What made your #1 stand out?
The boredom I experienced was expressed in a smaller percentage in that film compared to the others. The overall plot was interesting and the ending credit was a tad sad :'(

monty
Member Avatar
So two #1 for Mozambique already. This is starting to look bad for México...

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
monty
May 2 2015, 10:48:49 PM
I'm peaceful with the fact that Mozambique will end up ahead of USA, France, England and Italy in the final standings. :cheers:

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

joachimt
ArthurYanthar

A very small review was in my previous post:

ArthurYanthar
May 2 2015, 05:21:38 AM
Yea I wouldn't call the family realistic. Seems like they were meant to be absurd because the family's idea of tradition is also absurd.

Anyways, it was hilarious! Although nothing could beat the part where Zaza and his family meet Ilana. Now that's how you do awkward comedy. But still, it didn't beat La perla.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
monty
May 2 2015, 10:48:49 PM
I wouldn't worry

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film World Cup · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone