Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: La perla
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Queer Cinema Challenge; Official, June 2015
Topic Started: May 31 2015, 04:11:20 PM (1,444 Views)
Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
The Ultra Fabulous Official Queer Cinema Challenge
It's Pride month in many places around the world, so dive in and explore some queer stories.

Goal:
Watch as many movies as you can that can be considered queer cinema. If you are in doubt whether a movie counts or not, just ask, but generally it's a film that centres around one or more LGBTQ individuals.

Rules:
- A feature film (Anything over 45 minutes) counts as one entry.
- A total of 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry.
- For Mini-Series/TV series (45 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series/TV series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 60 minute rule applies.
- Rewatches allowed.

Challenge runs from 1 June 2015 to 30 June 2015.

Official lists:
None :down:

Unofficial lists:
AfterElton.com's Top 100 Greatest Gay Movies
AfterEllen.com's 50 Best Lesbian Movies
The Backlot's Top 100 Greatest Gay Movies
The Advocate's Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
Erik's Recommended GLBT Films
The Celluloid Closet: The Book
The Celluloid Closet: The Documentary
101 Must-See Movies for Gay Men
The Internet Film Club February 2014 - LGBT Cinema Watch List
Total Film's 50 Best Gay Movies
Top 150 GLBT Films
Teddy Award at Berlin Film Festival
Slant Magazine's 50 Essential LGBT Films (non-icm)

Participants:
Fergenaprido - 27
3eyes - 19
Nuclearplanet - 19
HVM - 10
Armoreska - 8
allisoncm - 8
kingink - 7
ororama - 1
jvv - 1
Edited by Fergenaprido, Jul 1 2015, 04:49:04 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I already signed up for the animation challenge and am away for a week to Malta, but I guess I can throw in a few queer movies as well.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
I have a little list....

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Sign me up.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. Kansas City Trucking Co. (1976)
2. El Paso Wrecking Corp. (1978)
3. LA Plays Itself (1972)

Three landmark adult films. Nothing more and nothing less, IMO.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I just saw a lovely gay themed Greek film so I'll take part in this challenge. I'll watch what I have in my backlog and I'll try to refrain from downloading a bunch of new movies, although I doubt that.

1. Xenia - Panos Koutras 2014 8/10

A beautiful story about two brothers that are half Albanian - half Greek in in search of their father. I like that it adresses a very serious matter about the citizenship of immigrant's kids that are born in a foreign country. It's a serious problem that needs to be solved. The film doesn't take itself too serious, that is something that Koutras does in all of his movies. This is why I like him.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. My Own Private Idaho (91)
Extraordinary. Fave.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Angelos - Giorgos Katakouzinos 1982 4/10

I had another Greek film soo I watched it. I've been meaning to watch this for a long time since it's a somewhat notorious film for it's daring subject back in the 80's (it's a true story about a murder that shook the Greek society back then). It was very dissapointing especially because of the absolutely horrible acting of the main lead. Wow was that bad! It had some merits I have to say, but I didn't see why all the fuss.

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by kingink, Jun 4 2015, 08:39:03 PM.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
1. Your Friends & Neighbors 7.5/10

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
4a. The Sex Garage (1972)
4b. Blow Job (1963) Andy Warhol. What a cinematic wanker.
5. Score (1974) Two married couples. An hour of heavy innuendo. The film is 90 minutes.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
1. The Gang's All Here (1943) - 101 Must-See Movies for Gay Men/Out Movie Guide - Carmen Miranda's hats were crazy and there was some great choreography. The story was a little thin and some phrases about how "gay" some people felt were thrown in.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
2. Weekend (UK 11)
Just ..., well, NICE. Likeable characters, unpretentious story.
Edited by 3eyes, Jun 7 2015, 02:59:19 AM.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes
Jun 7 2015, 02:58:40 AM
2. Weekend (UK 11)
Yeah! One of the best. I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it. I recommend it to everyone.
Edited by kingink, Jun 7 2015, 06:27:13 AM.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3. Cuatro lunas 2014 6/10

4 simple but realistic stories. Maybe they were just too simple...

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
kingink
Jun 7 2015, 06:26:55 AM
3eyes
Jun 7 2015, 02:58:40 AM
2. Weekend (UK 11)
Yeah! One of the best. I was pleasantly surprised when I watched it. I recommend it to everyone.
I actually rated it 1/10
Probably my #1 most overrated film atm

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Weekend is great!
I'd heard about Xenia, but didn't realize it had a queer element to it. Maybe I'll try and grab it before the end of the month.

My goal is 30 queer films in 30 days, so I'm slightly off track. Though it's usually because I'm doing something atypically social, so I shouldn't complain :D

1. The Boys in the Band (1970) dir. William Friedkin - 8.4 - loved it. Don't know why I put this off for so long.
2. Les roseaux sauvages [Wild Reeds] (1994) dir. André Téchiné - 8.0 - Quite good. Probably wont the César more for it's Algerian war storyline than it's queer one, but it's nice to see it was well-received at the time. The starring quartet are interesting characters.
3. La ley del deseo [The Law of Desire] (1987) dir. Pedro Almódovar - 8.0 - quite nice. Antonio Banderas is crazy committed... or just plain crazy. The storyline with the sister was a welcome surprise, and I loved the wink to the audience with Bibi Anderson.
4. My Summer of Love (2004) dir. Paweł Pawlikowski - 7ish - mediocre. Saw a lot of similarities in style that were strengthened in Ida, but a lot of this story felt like it was wandering. The religious subplot was weird, and the central love story wasn't entirely believable. An interesting role for a young Emily Blunt; surprised she was topless quite often in this film.
5. Cheucatown [Boystown] (2007) dir. Juan Flahn - 8ish - black comedy that's weird in a Delicatessen kind of way. And it's a queer film that doesn't rely on it's queerness to connect with the audience; surprisingly good.
6a. Gayniggers from Outer Space (1992 short) dir. Morten Lindberg - wtf? absolutely ridiculous, but kind of hilarious, and kind of sexist. I don't know what to make of this one.
7. Grand école (2004) dir. Robert Salis - 6ish - not much going for it aside from hot bodies and a lot of casual nudity of both genders (i.e. lots of tits and cocks for everyone to enjoy). I still don't get the plot, though, and I can't really connect with unsympathetic rich kids.
Edited by Fergenaprido, Jun 7 2015, 05:01:09 PM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
If I don't watch The Boys in the Band (it's on my little list) it'll be because I read the play way back when and am not sure I want to revisit it.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
3eyes, coincidentally, there's just been a YTS release of BitB the other day and you can always make it an insightful double feature with this documentary about the cast.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Thanks, HVM.

Now as for this one, I just posted it in the Animation challenge, and I'll be curious to know if folks think it belongs here. It's sort of in the trans ballpark, I guess:

3-10. The Rose of Versailles / Berusaiyu no bara (Jap 79-80), episodes 21-40 (8 hours; I watched the first half awhile ago.)

40-episode anime series set during the period leading up to the French Revolution. The central character is Oscar, a female soldier whose father, being sonless, raised her as a boy. As the commander of the Royal Guard, she is assigned to be Marie Antoinette's bodyguard. One of the odd things is who does, and doesn't, realize she isn't a man.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes
Jun 8 2015, 03:35:25 AM
Thanks, HVM.

Now as for this one, I just posted it in the Animation challenge, and I'll be curious to know if folks think it belongs here. It's sort of in the trans ballpark, I guess:

3-10. The Rose of Versailles / Berusaiyu no bara (Jap 79-80), episodes 21-40 (8 hours; I watched the first half awhile ago.)

40-episode anime series set during the period leading up to the French Revolution. The central character is Oscar, a female soldier whose father, being sonless, raised her as a boy. As the commander of the Royal Guard, she is assigned to be Marie Antoinette's bodyguard. One of the odd things is who does, and doesn't, realize she isn't a man.
The big question is... Does she crave pussy ? erm... lady parts I mean.

I'm just kidding. Cross-dressing and gender-bending is something that fits in this challenge even if there are no homosexual acts involved.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
kingink
Jun 8 2015, 07:54:36 AM
3eyes
Thanks, HVM.

The big question is... Does she crave pussy ? erm... lady parts I mean.

I'm just kidding. Cross-dressing and gender-bending is something that fits in this challenge even if there are no homosexual acts involved.
Well, at one point she does get accused of being the Queen's lover, but that's the only overt reference to lesbianism that I spotted. (Not knowing the conventions of anime, who knows what I may have missed?)

Come to think of it -- Armoreska, was it you who put me on to this?
Edited by 3eyes, Jun 8 2015, 12:45:35 PM.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes

Based on the wikipedia summary, I'd say it falls within the trans-sphere, which firmly falls in the queer ballpark :)

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
6. Beefcake (1998) Kinda like a Bettie Page docu-drama but with guys. And quite meh.

Edited by HVM, Jun 8 2015, 05:57:46 PM.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
4. La cage aux folles II - Edouard Molinaro 1980 6/10

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
11. Withnail & I (UK 87)
I seem to be more laid back about alcohol & drugs in movies than I was last time I tried this. This time it was fun. I can see why it's a cult favorite.

Edited by 3eyes, Jun 11 2015, 02:26:36 AM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
12. Desert hearts (85)

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
13. The sum of us (Oz 94)
A young Russell Crowe as a gay plumber with an overbearingly supportive father. I had some trouble with the dialect but eventually adjusted.
Edited by 3eyes, Jun 12 2015, 06:12:39 PM.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
7-8. The Erotic Films of Peter De Rome (1973) + some other unfeatured shorts of his
9. Fragments: The Incomplete Films of Peter de Rome (2012)

Some more old-timey erotica.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker

2. How to Survive a Plague (2012)

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
5. Plata quemada - Marcelo Pineyro 2000 8/10

I loved it! It's erotic and anarchic. A beautiful and different gangster film that is wonderfully directed and has some great performances.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
14. Wilde (UK 97) - REWATCH
Both Stephen Fry and Jude Law were new to me the first time I saw this (on VHS). I've felt a bond with Wilde ever since I wrote a paper on him for high school English in 1953. Still wish I'd buckle down and read De Profundis.

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
8. Lilies (1996) dir. John Greyson - 8.2 - interesting execution of the story; won Genie for best picture (Canadian Oscars)
9. Parting Glaces (1986) - 8.0 - a rare early queer film that didn't deal with coming out or homophobia, and didn't focus too much on the AIDS crisis. + young Steve Buscemi
10. F. est un salaud [Fögi Is a Bastard] (1998) dir. Marcel Gisler - 7.8 - decent look at love as an obsession. Better than expected.
11. Los amantes pasajeros [I'm So Excited!] (2013) dir. Pedro Almodóvar - 8.0 - just pure fun. A campy farce that reminded me a bit of Airplane! for it's irreverent and absurd straight-faced humour.
12. Chun gwong cha sit [Happy Together] (1997) dir. Wong Kar Wai - 7ish - it was interesting, and the visuals were quite cool and added a different aspect to the storytelling, but I just had trouble caring about the characters. Both leads were quite good, though.
13. Pride (2014) dir. Matthew Warchus - 8-9ish - everything I'd heard said this was good, but it was really really good. A new unexpected favourite, and one of the queer films that I think will be easiest for straight people to understand and connect to, since the underlying theme is how we're all the same
14. Going Down in LA-LA Land (2011) dir. Casper Andreas - 6-7ish - not as bad as I was expecting; thought it would be a guilty pleasure of bad acting and a ridiculous script, but it actually had some depth to it.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Whew. I was wondering where everybody was.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
10. The Hanging Garden (1997)

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
6. Borderline - Kenneth MacPherson 1930 8/10

A very nice avant-guarde silent that was elevated by the wonderful soundtrack by Coutney Pine, that made the film a unique jazz experience. Of course the fact that it's a gay themed film from the 30's makes it very interesting just for that.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
15. Christopher and his kind (UK 11, TV)
Christopher Isherwood leading the gay life in '30s Berlin - and gathering material for what later became Berlin Stories.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
16. Flores raras / Reaching for the moon (Brazil 13) -

Nuclearplanet
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i know I'm a bit late into the month, but I'm joining :D

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nuclearplanet
Jun 21 2015, 10:52:36 AM
i know I'm a bit late into the month, but I'm joining :D
The more the merrier :)

Welcome!

Fergenaprido
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes
Jun 14 2015, 05:09:59 PM
Whew. I was wondering where everybody was.
Haha, just posting my updates on Sunday nights, to avoid spending all my days on the forum and not working :D

I'm falling behind my schedule, but I must press on.

15. Pariah (2011) dir. Dee Rees - 8.4 - this was quite beautiful; an underrated gem and highly recommended even if you're not a young black lesbian. And one of the teen actresses was actually a woman in her late 30s. See if you can guess which one.
16. Beau travail [Good Work] (1999) dir. Claire Denis - 7.4 - possibly the subtlest queer film I'm ever seen; if I hadn't gone into it expecting a queer tale I might have missed it entirely or brushed it aside as my own wishful thinking.
17. Sud pralad [Tropical Malady] (2004) dir. Apichatpong Weerasethakul - 7.2 - didn't care for this as much as I had thought I would.
18. Dog Day Afternoon (1975) dir. Sidney Lumet - 8.4 - this was so good. I hesitate to say this was 'brave' for it's time, but I really like the way all of the characters were portrayed. The reactions by the mob outside with every new development, Pacino's portrayal, and the lovely ladies of the bank, especially the lead teller; all were excellent.
19. The Skeleton Twins (2014) dir. Craig Johnson - 7-8ish - this was okay. Good drama from some comedic actors. Subplot with the teacher was a bit shaky, though. Luke Wilson was a nice guy but a bit of a douche; still felt sorry for him though.
20. Far from Heaven (2002) dir. Todd Haynes - 8ish - Dreamy, though the music was a bit too pervasive. I don't know what I would have done had I lived in those times; would I have survived? Would I have been a product of my surroundings?

Queer films seen in June

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone