Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum Film World Cup match 2F: Chile vs Turkey; Voting deadline: July 26
Topic Started: Jul 12 2015, 09:57:02 AM (2,718 Views)
mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is match 2F of the iCM Forum Film World Cup.

CHILEvTURKEY
Julio comienza en julio / Julio Begins in July (1976)vHudutlarin Kanunu / Law of the Border (1966)
montyvmjf314

Screenshots

Voting Rules:
- You must watch both films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 2 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

The film with more #1 votes wins. If there's a tie, the match will be extended 3 days.

Here's a quick summary of how the tournament works

iCM list for round 2
Edited by mjf314, Jul 12 2015, 09:59:55 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
Just gotta share this wonderful poster with you guys:

Posted Image

On a sidenote, in 1999 this film was chosen as the best Chilean film of the 20th century by popular vote in Chile.
Edited by monty, Jul 12 2015, 10:13:58 AM.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Julio comienza en julio
2. Hudutların Kanunu

Turkish film lost me at hello; whatever the depth of it may be, I couldn't stand direction that is so disjointed I could barely follow the plot.

Julio drags way too long. However I did enjoy what is seemingly a tale of elite class' decadence, and we see how quickly one evolves into another degenerate of its kind in early stages of life.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

monty
Member Avatar
Mario Gaborović
Jul 12 2015, 10:19:28 AM
However I did enjoy what is seemingly a tale of elite class' decadence, and we see how quickly one evolves into another degenerate of its kind in early stages of life.
Prominent themes in the film: the awakening of sexuality, father-son relationship, the abuse of power, the loss of innocence, religious intolerance, moral corruption/double moral standards, machismo, the hacienda system.
Edited by monty, Jul 12 2015, 10:36:08 AM.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Watched Julio today. Not bad film.
I hope the Turkish one is equally good. At least not one like this.
Edited by zhangalan, Jul 12 2015, 10:53:37 AM.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
monty
Jul 12 2015, 10:35:30 AM
Mario Gaborović
Jul 12 2015, 10:19:28 AM
However I did enjoy what is seemingly a tale of elite class' decadence, and we see how quickly one evolves into another degenerate of its kind in early stages of life.
Prominent themes in the film: the awakening of sexuality, father-son relationship, the abuse of power, the loss of innocence, religious intolerance, moral corruption/double moral standards, machismo, the hacienda system.
The awakening of sexuality is trivial thing, and seen million times in other movies, so I don't even notice them at this stage. Not familiar with hacienda system, though. But aristocracy privileged for no particular reason used as a bowling pin always gets my vote.

EDIT: I totally loved Garibaldi song! :lol: Too bad there's no recorded version on YouTube.
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Jul 12 2015, 11:56:27 AM.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

1. Hudutların Kanunu [Law of the Border] (1966) 7/10
2. Julio comienza en julio (1976) 6/10

monty
Member Avatar
Might as well get it over with:

2. Hudutların Kanunu

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
1. Chile
2. Turkey

Julio was clearly the more interesting movie. The characters were more interesting, the acting was much better (Turkey was too flat) and it was shot a lot nicer.

The cameramovement and close-ups made sure I felt much more involved than in the Turkish movie where the scenes felt like they were just shot and that's it. I often dislike shaky cameras in modern movies, but in a lot of older South American it is done very effective. Some scenes really profited from the roughness and got more intense that way, but it was never overdone. The director shifted between that rough camera work to more quiet sliding shots at the right moment to get the most out of the scene.

I didn't vote for Chile in the previous round, but I'll gladly do so now. 8/10

Turkey. 6/10

Angel Glez
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Previous Chile-Turkey in a Film World Cup

Chile (picking Julio Begins in July) won. The Turkish opponent was weaker than now, though. :P

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Angel Glez
Jul 13 2015, 12:35:29 PM

Chile (picking Julio Begins in July) won. The Turkish opponent was weaker than now, though. :P
Only five votes? :blink:
The last post even says "Thank goodness some more voters showed up on the last day". I guess we shouldn't complain with every match getting at least 20 votes most of the time.

Angel Glez
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Jul 13 2015, 12:44:50 PM
Angel Glez

The last post even says "Thank goodness some more voters showed up on the last day". I guess we shouldn't complain with every match getting at least 20 votes most of the time.
It was the last Mubi World Cup before the forum's exodus and didn't work at all.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Angel Glez

I guess we will have even fewer voters in the group with China. I wonder how many people can find the source for BTB,FTF on their own.

monty
Member Avatar
zhangalan
Jul 13 2015, 01:24:12 PM
joachimt
Angel Glez

I guess we will have even fewer voters in the group with China. I wonder how many people can find the source for BTB,FTF on their own.
No worries. China will prevail anyhow.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
btw, how many great Chilean films are there? I don't understand why The Battle of Chile stands out as a classic. It is nothing special compared with other documentaries, and most of the Chilean films I watched are better than it. However, Julio is probably the best one I get so far(of coz I don't watch many). Jackal of Nahueltoro is famous, but it does not live to my expectation, especially that I watched In Cold Blood before watching this one.
Edited by zhangalan, Jul 13 2015, 01:30:01 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
There are 15 votes already in that group, so we might reach 20 again in the next two days.

monty
Member Avatar
zhangalan
Jul 13 2015, 01:29:10 PM
btw, how many great Chilean films are there?
You'll find out in the next rounds.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Angel Glez

Thank God we don't use that horrible format of competition. You can't make better cup rules than these here :cheers: :party:

Julio 3-1 Law of the Border
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Jul 13 2015, 07:07:39 PM.

klaus78
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Julio comienza en julio (Chile) 7/10
2. Hudutlarin Kanunu (Turkey) 6/10
Edited by klaus78, Jul 14 2015, 12:04:31 PM.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Time to move on to next match.
Not a difficult choice between one good film and one average film.

2. Hudutların Kanunu

A bit surprising to see this group being one-sided so far, as the winners of other groups in Round 2 only win by the edge except the one with the Russian forum mafia. Is this a sign that Julio comienza en julio will become another forum mafia like Letter Never Sent?

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
zhangalan
Jul 18 2015, 05:27:47 AM
A bit surprising to see this group being one-sided so far, as the winners of other groups in Round 2 only win by the edge except the one with the Russian forum mafia. Is this a sign that Julio comienza en julio will become another forum mafia like Letter Never Sent?
Maybe it's just a sign that it was a mistake to pick a film that Arthur likes. Heroic Times also did worse than expected. Umut was the other film that I was considering for this round. I guess it would've been a better choice.

For round 3 I'll pick a Hungarian film that Arthur hates.

Julio has worse stats than Letter Never Sent on both IMDb and Mubi, so I don't think it'll be the next Letter Never Sent, but it'll probably enter the 500<400 list (along with most of the other WC winners).

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
mjf314
Jul 18 2015, 06:10:34 AM
Heroic Times also did worse than expected.
:huh:
It won the match, so don't whine about it.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mjf314
zhangalan
Jul 18 2015, 05:27:47 AM
Maybe it's just a sign that it was a mistake to pick a film that Arthur likes. Heroic Times also did worse than expected. Umut was the other film that I was considering for this round. I guess it would've been a better choice.

For round 3 I'll pick a Hungarian film that Arthur hates.

Julio has worse stats than Letter Never Sent on both IMDb and Mubi, so I don't think it'll be the next Letter Never Sent, but it'll probably enter the 500<400 list (along with most of the other WC winners).
It'd be difficult for me to decide between Julio and Umut, but I don't know what the others think.

Law of the Border has its moments, but overall I find it pale in terms of both visual and story, especially when compared with Julio.

And Heroic Times is a great choice. I can tell many people love it and it will be ranking highly in the upcoming 500<400 list.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
zhangalan
Jul 18 2015, 08:04:37 AM
And Heroic Times is a great choice. I can tell many people love it and it will be ranking highly in the upcoming 500<400 list.
Its opponent Ni liv was already in that list, so I guess you're right about Heroic times entering in the next update.

Cocoa
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Didn't really care for either film.

1. Hudutlarin Kanunu
2. Julio comienza en julio

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Jul 18 2015, 07:05:55 AM
mjf314
Heroic Times also did worse than expected.
:huh:
It won the match, so don't whine about it.

Agreed. I was mildly surprised it won. ....Doubly surprised that it was expected to win by a landslide.

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Unfortuinately another so-so matchup imho:

1. Hudutlarin Kanunu

My thoughts:

Hudutlarin Kanunu / Law of the Border (1966, Lütfi Akad)
Western-esque film about a town that lives from border smuggling and their struggle with officials and competition in the harsh Turkish borderland. Quite engaging in the way it shows its classic way of life with the clash to a more progressive lifestyle and with some nice cinematography suiting the film very well.
7/10

Julio comienza en julio / Julio Begins in July (1979, Silvio Caiozzi)
At the turn of the century the adolescent son of a rich Chilean rancher falls in love with a prostitute, but of course such a love is rather ill-fated. The film has some nice symbolism and occasional fancy scenes, but the central drama is a bit ham-fisted.
6.5/10

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
2 votes in a row! Is Law of the Border going to be the next Back to Back, Face to Face?

Unfortunately Law of the Border doesn't have any Argo jokes that can be removed. Maybe what I should do is add an Argo joke into the Julio subs when no one is looking.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image Julio comienza en julio 5-3 Hudutların Kanunu Posted Image
Edited by Mario Gaborović, Jul 20 2015, 03:55:43 PM.

monty
Member Avatar
Mario Gaborović
Jul 20 2015, 03:55:22 PM
Posted Image Julio comienza en julio 5-3 Hudutların Kanunu Posted Image
Better add mjf's vote to his nominee as I can't see him betray his own Arthurian choice, hehe.
Edited by monty, Jul 20 2015, 05:11:09 PM.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Wasn't impressed by either movie. The Turkish one had some very stiff acting, the Chilean was trying to cram too many themes in and most characters were rather annoying.

1. Hudutlarin Kanunu - 6/10
2. Julio comienza en julio - 6/10

monty
Member Avatar
jvv
Jul 20 2015, 06:47:55 PM
...the Chilean was trying to cram too many themes in and most characters were rather annoying.
But Julio's patrician and rather dapper father did strike a chord in that frosty woman's heart of yours, right? :P
Edited by monty, Jul 20 2015, 06:57:01 PM.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
monty
Jul 20 2015, 06:55:29 PM
jvv
...the Chilean was trying to cram too many themes in and most characters were rather annoying.
But Julio's patrician and rather dapper father did strike a chord in that frosty woman's heart of yours, right? :P
Now you have an obligation to bring us that Garibaldi song to public. :lol:
I didn't understand a single word except that, but it was somewhat funny.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
monty
Jul 20 2015, 06:55:29 PM
jvv
Nope. :D

EDIT: If there was a father in this match that struck a cord in my icy heart it was the father in the Turkish movie. :P
Edited by jvv, Jul 21 2015, 11:02:57 AM.

perceval
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I watched Law at the Border in a cinema "earlier in life". Remember it as a psychical experience rather than an intellectual, but that is good. If it was a close call I would have rewatched it, but it is not... Actually you could take Joachim's comment on Julio, add "not" beside every statement and you have what I thought while watching it. :/

1. Hudutlarin Kanunu

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
perceval
Jul 20 2015, 10:06:46 PM
Actually you could take Joachim's comment on Julio, add "not" beside every statement and you have what I thought while watching it. :/
:'(

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
perceval

Actually you could take Joachim's comment on Julio, add "not" beside every statement and you have what I thought while watching it. :/

Really? :huh:

It will be something like this.
Quote:

Julio was clearly not the more interesting movie. The characters were not more interesting, the acting was not much better (Turkey was not too flat) and it was not shot a lot nicer.

The cameramovement and close-ups did not make sure I felt much more involved than in the Turkish movie where the scenes did not feel like they were just shot and that's it. I do not often dislike shaky cameras in modern movies, but in a lot of older South American it is not done very effective. Some scenes did not really profit from the roughness and did not get more intense that way, but it was not never overdone. The director did not shift between that rough camera work to more quiet sliding shots at the right moment to get the most out of the scene.

I voted for Chile in the previous round, but I will not gladly do so now.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
That review doesn't make sense at all. :lol:

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
not not gladly, but gladly not. pay attention :P

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Armoreska
Jul 21 2015, 11:34:44 AM
not not gladly, but gladly not. pay attention :P
Time for another proofreading? :sweat:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film World Cup · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone