Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
iCM Forum Film World Cup match 3A: Hungary vs Brazil; Voting deadline: August 30
Topic Started: Aug 17 2015, 12:54:02 PM (3,452 Views)
mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is match 3A of the iCM Forum Film World Cup.

HUNGARYvBRAZIL
Az en XX. szazadom / My 20th Century (1989)vNoite Vazia / Eros (1964)
mjf314vArthurYanthar

Screenshots

Voting Rules:
- You must watch both films before you vote.
- To vote, rank the 2 films from most favorite to least favorite. (note: you're ranking the individual films, not the countries)

The film with more #1 votes wins. If there's a tie, the match will be extended 3 days.

Here's a quick summary of how the tournament works
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. Az en XX. szazadom
2. Noite Vazia

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

1. Az én XX. századom [My Twentieth Century] (1989) 9/10
2. Noite Vazia [Eros] (1964) 8/10

Well, at least there's hope of Noite Vazia making the 500<400 list cause of this.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Melvelet
Member Avatar
Ŕ la recherche du temps perdu...
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Have seen neither but both look very promising and visually appealing :)

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

It's basically ultra stylized and unique (and awesome in every way) vs Antonioni style ennui.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not a fan of both films. Watched them couple of years ago, and I just think that both of films have good visuals but not so attractive story.

1. Eros
2. My 20th Century

I predict Arthur might betray Brazil, given that he mentioned he likes My 20th Century somewhere, and it comes true.

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If Brazil got kicked out this round, voters should be forcibly watch one more Brazilian film as bonus, the one by Carlos Diegues.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

zhangalan
Aug 17 2015, 01:41:07 PM
I predict Arthur might betray Brazil, given that he mentioned he likes My 20th Century somewhere, and it comes true.
I would have voted for In the Heat of the Sun and The Birth Certificate over my nomination as well.

But then again one of my Doubling the Canon strategies was to avoid as many 9/10s as I can, because for some reason people tend to like my 8/10s more.

Funny, the time I wished that I was going against one of the 2 giants here, I just get caught with my favourite film of the round...

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Noite Vazia
2. Az en XX. szazadom

Although My Twentieth Century is a very interesting film, I really love Noite Vazia, so it was a very easy choice for me.

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
Posted ImageNoite Vazia 2-2 Az en XX. szazadomPosted Image

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
1. Az én XX. századom 8/10
2. Noite Vazia 7/10

monty
Member Avatar
Not too wowed by the Brazilian entry; far too moody, introspective and drawn-out for my taste. Did like the sepia touch though.

insomnius
Member Avatar
Fourth Row Spectator
 *  *  *  * ]
Easy.

1. Noite Vazia / Eros (1964)
2. Az en XX. szazadom / My 20th Century (1989)

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Where is the ICM list for round 3? ;)

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lonewolf2003
Aug 18 2015, 06:51:42 PM
They could've just made one list for all rounds. :wacko:

Melvelet
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mario Gaborović
Aug 18 2015, 06:56:17 PM
Lonewolf2003
Aug 18 2015, 06:51:42 PM
They could've just made one list for all rounds. :wacko:
Indeed.

sirea
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
1. Noite Vazia (1964)
2. Az en XX. szazadom (1989)

I did like "Az en XX. szazadom" but "Noite Vazia" wins it. The feeling of loneliness that makes us look for someone or something "different", as they say in the film, feels so present. I don't know if you guys know it, but here in Brazil some people call Khouri the "Brazilian Bergman".

Of course I may be biased because I'm Brazilian, but "Noite Vazia" is much more pleasant for me to watch. It is delicate and sarcastic, I couldn't take my eyes off Gabriele Tinti. The title "Noite Vazia" means "empty night", that's so precise that makes me feel the blues, haha.

I'm also loving that rain scene.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Az én XX. századom - I liked the fairy tale atmosphere.
Noite Vazia - A movie about boredom and emptiness, that I felt was rather empty itself.

1. Az én XX. századom 7.5/10
2. Noite Vazia 6/10

monty
Member Avatar
Posted ImageNoite Vazia 4 - 4 Az en XX. szazadomPosted Image
Edited by monty, Aug 18 2015, 11:53:15 PM.

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Battle of Berne?

Melvelet
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Noite Vazia 8/10
2. Az en XX. szazadom 7+/10

Thanks, sirea. "Empty Night" is really a better/more fitting title than Eros. Although it really owes more to Antonioni than to Bergman.
Az en XX. szazadom is probably the more unique film but in the end it didn't quite win me over.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Every single word I've read about Noite vazia so far makes me think it will be my next favourite the moment I watch it. :happy:

zhangalan
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Unpredictable. I thought My 20th Century would take this easily as one in <400 checks list, yet so far Eros is on par with this forum mafia, especially in the way thay Arthur betrays Brazil.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Even if I'm not Brazilian or never even been there, I'm sure I'll have to hide if Brazil wins the match. They'll wanna put me in court for treason.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
ArthurYanthar
Aug 19 2015, 02:28:34 PM
Even if I'm not Brazilian or never even been there, I'm sure I'll have to hide if Brazil wins the match. They'll wanna put me in court for treason.
Imagine what will happen if Brazil loses by 1 point. :ph43r:

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
zhangalan
Aug 19 2015, 01:57:02 PM
Unpredictable. I thought My 20th Century would take this easily as one in <400 checks list, yet so far Eros is on par with this forum mafia, especially in the way thay Arthur betrays Brazil.
I think voting against your own country is one of the most honest things you can do, if you simply think the other country's choice is better. :hmph:

monty
Member Avatar
If we arrange another World Cup, maybe managers should not be allowed to vote in their own matches?

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
monty
Aug 19 2015, 06:19:25 PM
If we arrange another World Cup, maybe managers should not be allowed to vote in their own matches?
I don't see why. If all managers vote for their own country, it's just another 1-1 vote. If someone votes against his country it just fair play. I don't think any manager voted for his country even though he liked the other movie better. I believe in honesty here.

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Aug 19 2015, 06:30:59 PM
I don't think any manager voted for his country even though he liked the other movie better. I believe in honesty here.
Right. But then it's the question, which movie to vote for if I know my film is not the better of the two, but then again, I care for it more? :shrug:

I think the next World Cup will be even better 'cause managers will probably learn from mistakes (of their own or others). I'm thinking about Amici miei and stuff...

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Mario Gaborović
Aug 20 2015, 05:01:50 AM
joachimt
Aug 19 2015, 06:30:59 PM
I don't think any manager voted for his country even though he liked the other movie better. I believe in honesty here.
Right. But then it's the question, which movie to vote for if I know my film is not the better of the two, but then again, I care for it more? :shrug:
So you're saying you would vote for your country even if you think the other one is better? (I read your post three times, I don't know exactly what you mean....)

Mario Gaborović
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Aug 20 2015, 06:44:43 AM
So you're saying you would vote for your country even if you think the other one is better?
I'm asking myself how should I vote: for the film that I find more likeable, or the one that is better crafted? (regardless of who the manager is, or what country is about)

Ebert once put it, "Your head may trick you, but your heart won't". So I think we should vote for films that left us more attached to them after viewing.

Edited by Mario Gaborović, Aug 20 2015, 07:03:53 AM.

Melvelet
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Mario Gaborović
Aug 20 2015, 07:03:30 AM
joachimt
So you're saying you would vote for your country even if you think the other one is better?
I'm asking myself how should I vote: for the film that I find more likeable, or the one that is better crafted? (regardless of who the manager is, or what country is about)

Ebert once put it, "Your head may trick you, but your heart won't". So I think we should vote for films that left us more attached to them after viewing.

Does anybody here try to take a guess at which film is 'objectively' the best rather than rank them by your subjective preference?

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
Mario Gaborović
joachimt
You should vote for the film you like more, but isn't it the same thing? How well a film is crafted should be one of the things that determines how much you like it (or the only thing, depending on how you define crafted). If you don't like the film, then there must be something wrong with how it was crafted (at least in your opinion).
Edited by mjf314, Aug 20 2015, 08:36:28 AM.

SanderO
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Noite Vazia
2. Az en XX. szazadom

tommy_leazaq
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
mjf314
Aug 20 2015, 08:34:55 AM
How well a film is crafted should be one of the things that determines how much you like it (or the only thing, depending on how you define crafted).
Not necessarily for everyone. Jules and Jim is a well crafted film. But if it comes up against a non-well crafted film like Jumanji, I'll vote for Jumanji.. -_-

For me, Craft = Filmmaking, and that really helps while rate a film but that never be a first priority for me. First and formost thing for me is, "how much I have enjoyed it". If provided with 10 million dollars, Otto Muhl and Otmar Bauer will give a very well crafted film but no thanks :lol:

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Melvelet
Aug 20 2015, 08:29:56 AM
Mario Gaborović
joachimt

Does anybody here try to take a guess at which film is 'objectively' the best rather than rank them by your subjective preference?
I'm not sure, but I do think that objective quality often influences my appreciation of a film. At least once I notice that it's well-crafted, I'll appreciate it somewhat better, because it triggers my admiration.

mjf314
No Avatar
Walk of Fame
tommy_leazaq
Aug 20 2015, 09:42:33 AM
mjf314
How well a film is crafted should be one of the things that determines how much you like it (or the only thing, depending on how you define crafted).
Not necessarily for everyone. Jules and Jim is a well crafted film. But if it comes up against a non-well crafted film like Jumanji, I'll vote for Jumanji.. -_-
Doesn't filmmaking include everything that goes into making the film? Maybe you thought Jules and Jim was better than Jumanji in some ways, but there's must have been something about the filmmaking in Jumanji that made you enjoy it more.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
mjf314
Aug 20 2015, 10:12:23 AM
tommy_leazaq
mjf314
Doesn't filmmaking include everything that goes into making the film? Maybe you thought Jules and Jim was better than Jumanji in some ways, but there's must have been something about the filmmaking in Jumanji that made you enjoy it more.
I haven't seen Jumanji, but that could of course be something like a steaming sex scene. Is that in "the filmmaking"? I'm not so sure about that.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
mjf314
Aug 20 2015, 10:12:23 AM
tommy_leazaq
mjf314
I agree. I don't believe that just because something is 'technically proficient' it's therefore 'better crafted' than something that maybe isn't. I've been reading Film Art over the last few weeks and I'm surprised at how much it pushes that view. I thought it was going to be a snobby book, but it's like it has quoted me at times. Everything about a film contributes to how it's 'crafted', so if Jumanji has a more interesting plot, or has better pacing or whatever it is you like about it, then those things make it well-crafted.

monty
Member Avatar
Posted ImageNoite Vazia 6 - 4 Az en XX. szazadomPosted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Film World Cup · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone