Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies: Submit Your List (Mar 18th)

Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (Feb 22nd), 2017 (Mar 3rd), Doubling the Canon (Nominations Mar 17th)
Challenges: Latin American, African American, 1960s
Film of the Week: Norte, hangganan ng kasaysayan
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1C (Mar 4th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Academy Awards Challenge; February 2016
Topic Started: Feb 1 2016, 03:13:49 AM (5,984 Views)
klaus78
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Goal:
Watch as many movies as you can that have won an Academy Award or have been nominated in any category.

Rules:
- A feature film (anything over 45 minutes) counts as one entry.
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- Rewatches are allowed.

Lists:
Academy Award Best Pictures (official)
Academy Award Best Cinematography (official)
Academy Award Best Foreign Pictures (official)
Academy Award Best Picture Nominees (official)
Academy Award Best Foreign Language Film Nominees (official)

2016 Oscars: Nominated Films
Every Film That Has Ever Won An Oscar
Academy Award Best Director
2010s Academy Award winners and nominees
2000s Academy Award winners and nominees
1990s Academy Award winners and nominees
1980s Academy Award winners and nominees
1970s Academy Award winners and nominees
1960s Academy Award winners and nominees
1950s Academy Award winners and nominees
1940s Academy Award winners and nominees
1930s Academy Award winners and nominees
1920s Academy Award winners and nominees

Participants:
flavo5000 - 71
treadwaynathan - 68
lillyjabry - 28
redcard29 - 27
ChrisReynolds - 25
metaller - 24
slylingual24 - 24
Josh_Glover - 23
max-scl - 21
klaus78 - 21
tarr - 21
sheikofhyrule - 19
Wise Jake - 18
cinephage - 15
maksler - 14
ororama - 13
brokenface - 12
3eyes - 11
ryebass - 11
tourdesb - 9
Timec - 7
Fergenaprido - 7
Mochard - 7
PUNQ - 7
VincentPrice - 6
connordenney - 3
pjim - 2
Cippenham - 1

This thread is auto-updated!
Edited by klaus78, Mar 2 2016, 09:26:01 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm not too interested in this year's crop, but I'll watch some oldies. I'm aiming for gold on AA Cinematography list (5 to go, 6 to keep).

What about this list?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/every+film+that+has+ever+won+an+oscar/mi-16evil/
Edited by 3eyes, Feb 1 2016, 05:33:27 PM.

klaus78
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3eyes
Feb 1 2016, 03:22:18 AM
Added.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'm in. I am going to try to see Embrace of the Serpent and Mustang at least. Have seen most of the other major films that have been nominated this year.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll be in. Need to finish off this year's nominees and maybe all the past Best Picture winners (got 13 of those left). Otherwise, I'll randomly watch stuff as I feel like it. Should be a good mind cleanser after a month of movies mostly from the Bad Movies list.

Mochard
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in - I just struggle to watch as many movies as I used to. Being married is awesome but my movie watching has definitely taken a hit.

sheikofhyrule
No Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
In and going to go for 31 to match the 31 Days of Oscar on Turner Classic Movies, that at least made sense when the Oscars were at the end of March.

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
Count me in, I will watch rest of this years best Picture nominations, some previous ones and a few others perhaps.

sheikofhyrule
No Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) 3/10 Nominated for Song: "Earned It" Good soundtrack and better than I was expecting, other erotic films usually gain a 1 or 2 from me. "Love Me Like You Do", that was nominated for the Golden Globe, is a better song and is used while the film is running instead of during the credits, so I would preferred that song, but looking at the Wikipedia, it was probably ineligible. Both songs were number three in the United States, pretty impressive. Well the movies this month can only get better from here.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, I'm definitely in for this challenge.

It's after midnight here, so,

1. Sicario (2015) Nominated for Score, Cinematography and Sound Editing

Was really hoping for (and expecting) something much better. 6/10
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
In in in

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Definately in. I still have to watch a lot of this year's batch and I want to do so this month. Aimining for 20-ish films.

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll likely watch a handful throughout the month, so may as well count me in.

Josh_Glover
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'm 100% in. Hoping to get the bronze in Best Picture Winners and I'll watch a few from this year's crop of nominees too.

Timec
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I’m in!

My primary goal is to finish off the BP winners. I only have ten left to go – but half of them are more than 2 ½ hours long, so it’ll take some time.

Other than that, I have several of the Best Foreign winners queued up (19 to go.)

And I'll try to watch more of the BP nominees from the 2000s (11 to go.)

Wise Jake
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'm in. No goal - just an Academy Award-winning free-for-all.

ChrisReynolds
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in for this, and my goals are to attain a series of medals:

Get BRONZE on Academy Award Best Cinematography (6 films needed)
Get BRONZE on 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (6 films needed)
Get SILVER on Academy Award Best Pictures (8 films needed)
Get SILVER on A.V. Club - The best films of the '00s (1 film needed)
Get GOLD on Best Of Rotten Tomatoes (2 films needed)
Get GOLD on FOK! top 250 (2 films needed)
Get GOLD on 100 Science Fiction Films (3 films needed, but that includes one non-Oscar-nominated film which won't count)
Watch all of this year's best picture nominees (6 films needed)
Edited by ChrisReynolds, Feb 1 2016, 06:21:59 PM.

tourdesb
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. Without any goal.

tarr
Member Avatar
Peasant
 *  *  *  * ]
1. Amistad (Spielberg, 1997) Nominated for 4 Oscars.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'm in. Just trying to watch older movies.

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

1. Kaguyahime no monogatari / The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013, Isao Takahata) 9/10
1 nom 2015: Animated Feature

An old bamboo cutter finds a strange small person inside a bamboo, who turns into a baby and he and his wife raise it as their own. The bamboo cutter wants to raise her as the princess he thinks she is, taking her away from her beloved nature and training her in a courtly fashion, which leads to a bit of unhappiness all around and the invovlement of mysterious forces.
Stunningly beautiful in all aspects, simple but deep with an emotional core that doesn't feel forced but honest and overall just heart-achingly bittersweet. The animation style is one for the ages too.
That this didn't win best animated feature last year makes me sad.

And the Oscar goes to...
Edited by metaller, Feb 1 2016, 11:24:20 PM.

Josh_Glover
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
1. Suspicion (Hitchcock, 1941) - Best Actress Winner, Nominated for Best Picture and Best Score

Joan Fontaine's performance in this film won her the Best Actress Oscar and, although I'm not too familiar with the other performances of that year, it seems deserved. Cary Grant was also decent in this Hitchcock film that, even though having moments of suspense, doesn't fit his usual pattern with more build-up than would be expected in a paranoia thriller of this sort. The build-up is integral in this case, however, as it makes Joan Fonatine's suspicion of her husband's murderous capabilities all the more shocking to her and as an audience we get to see what the relationship/marriage was like before the doubt begins to creep in. (72/100)

PUNQ
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Doubt I'll be seeing all that many Academy pictures as I've already seen most of the important onces from this years nomination and I'm not sure how much I'll get to see from other Oscar years this month. But as I run through my unseen 2015 one nominee popped up. The first one I watch of the 2016 Best Foreign Language Film of the Year category.

1. Krigen [A War] (2015, Tobias Lindholm)

- 2016 Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Krigen [A War] (2015), a Danish film nominated for an Oscar in the Best Foreign Language Film of 2015 category. A fine film set out in the difficult climate of Afghanistan as we look at the decisions and consequences of a group of soldiers out on patrol. I can't say I see why it would get a nomination like that, except portraying a political situation the US academy members would be strongly familiar with.

Not really a film which is filled with all that much. We use a lot of time getting to know their situation out there in the danger zone and the questionable decision is only one short moment in the midst of many random missions. Then back home we have a tiny trial to justify what they did when in a crises. It's not like we get much deeper then the uniforms with the characters. The pacing is good. Some scenes work, others feel unnecessary, making it a average good movie. There was better films or equal films of various genres coming out of Denmark in 2015, including Mænd & høns (2015), Idealisten (2015), Skammerens datter (2015), 9. april (2015) and even Klovn Forever (2015) depending on how you like your comedy. So it's not a given why A War would get the nomination.
5/10
Edited by PUNQ, Feb 2 2016, 12:08:30 AM.

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Children of Heaven (1997) Nominated for Best Foreign Language Film (Iran).

Must. Watch. More. Iranian. Films. Seriously, most of what I've seen from there has been excellent. This was no exception. Someone posted on ICM that it reminded them of Bicycle Thieves. I agree.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
treadwaynathan
Feb 2 2016, 12:10:00 AM
2. Children of Heaven (1997) Nominated for Best Foreign Language Film (Iran).

Must. Watch. More. Iranian. Films. Seriously, most of what I've seen from there has been excellent. This was no exception. Someone posted on ICM that it reminded them of Bicycle Thieves. I agree.

:thumbsup:

There are some worthwhile prerevolutionary Iranian films too if you can find them. Gaav (the Cow, 1968) is on Amazon Prime US if that does you any good.

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. Traffic (2000, Soderbergh) Won 4 Oscars.

sheikofhyrule
No Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
2. The 100 Year Old Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (2015) 9/10 Nominated for Makeup Hilarious movie only brought down by the Forrest Gump-esque flashbacks. Good makeup making the main actor look older, but like this Swedish film really has a chance against Mad Max: Fury Road or The Revenant.

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
01. Pote tin Kyriaki / Never on Sunday, by Jules Dassin (1960) 6,5/10

Academy awards :

Best Song (Manos Hadjidakis for "Never on Sunday") - Won
Best Actress in a leading role (Melina Mercoury) - Nominated
Best Costume Design, Black and White (Deni Vachliotov) - Nominated
Best Director (Jules Dassin) - Nominated
Best Writing, Story and Screenplay as Written Directly for the Screen (Jules Dassin) - Nominated

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3. 8 Mile (2002) Won Best Original Song (Lose Yourself).

4. Harlan County, U.S.A. (1976) Won Best Documentary, Feature

Edited by Nathan Treadway, Feb 2 2016, 08:46:02 AM.

Josh_Glover
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
2. Shaun the Sheep Movie (Burton/Starzack, 2015) - Best Animated Film Nominee

As Aardman Animation's latest venture into feature length films, Shaun the Sheep Movie had a lot of potential due to the studio's previous success with films such as Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. It had plenty of fun moments throughout its short runtime although in comparison to Inside Out it is considerably weaker despite its attempts at developing an emotional connection therefore it shouldn't win the Oscar this year. The claymation style was very well done however the plot was too simplistic, although in a kids' film this isn't necessarily such a bad thing. (73/100)

Edited by Josh_Glover, Feb 2 2016, 12:15:34 PM.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
@cinephage: A girlfriend and I saw that in the theater when it came out and cavorted in the streets afterwards. I wonder what I'd think of it now - not eager to find out.

@josh: my 3-year-old granddaughter loved it up to the last 10 minutes, then got scared and refused to watch it again.

Timec
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Suspicion (Hitchcock, 1941) – I had a hard time getting into this, though it does pick up towards the end, when the “suspicions” start to accumulate.

There are some good performances, but it’s kind of strange that Fontaine won for this, and not for the previous year’s Rebecca - where she gives one of the greatest performances of all time.

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
3eyes
Feb 2 2016, 01:01:08 PM
@cinephage: A girlfriend and I saw that in the theater when it came out and cavorted in the streets afterwards. I wonder what I'd think of it now - not eager to find out.
Well it's not too bad, the good mood is contagious, so you might find yourself cavorting in the streets once again... :P
I liked it, even though it was a little to forced at times ('This is the greek way').
Overall, I found myself looking at a metaphor for Greece's current economics... Mister no-face is the IMF, and Jules Dassin's character is the european troika, trying to teach greece economic orthodoxy. Fun way to re-read a picture. :lol:

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
cinephage
Feb 2 2016, 03:58:13 PM
3eyes
Feb 2 2016, 01:01:08 PM
Well it's not too bad, the good mood is contagious, so you might find yourself cavorting in the streets once again... :P
I liked it, even though it was a little to forced at times ('This is the greek way').
Overall, I found myself looking at a metaphor for Greece's current economics... Mister no-face is the IMF, and Jules Dassin's character is the european troika, trying to teach greece economic orthodoxy. Fun way to re-read a picture. :lol:
It's always good to demonstrate an oldie's relevance to today's generation. :thumbsup:

maksler
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
1. Deux jours, une nuit a.k.a. Two Days, One Night (73/100)
Nominated in 2015 for best performance by an actress in a leading role (Marion Cotillard)
Edited by maksler, Feb 2 2016, 07:59:18 PM.

Wise Jake
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
1. Lost in Translation (2003)
-Won Best Original Screenplay Oscar (Sofia Coppola). Nominated for 3 others.

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
5. Bicycle Thieves (1948) Honorary Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film (Italy). Rewatch.

I consider this among my favorite films, and watching Children of Heaven earlier seemed to put me in the mood to rewatch this one.

Edited by Nathan Treadway, Feb 2 2016, 08:07:10 PM.

metaller
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

2. 45 Years (2015, Andrew Haigh) 7/10
1 nom 2016: Best Actress

Shortly before the 45th wedding anniversary of a couple, the husband receives a message about his past that threatens to shake up their relationship. Subtle film with two very strong central performances full of nuance, but the film is ultimately perhaps just a bit too unagitated and perhaps a bit barren for my liking.

And the Oscar goes to...

maksler
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
2. Philomena (67/100)
Nominated for 4 Oscars in 2015

Oscar List
Edited by maksler, Feb 2 2016, 10:23:12 PM.

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
6. Hotel Terminus (1988) Won Best Documentary, Feature.

Can waste a whole depressing day watching this (4 1/2 hours) along with Shoah (6+ hours, if I remember right) if you wanted to. Not that I'd recommend doing that.

Edited by Nathan Treadway, Feb 3 2016, 12:49:01 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone