Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
iCM Forum's Favorite Movies (Results)

Polls: South-East Asia (Results), 1983 (May 22nd), 1920 awards (May 20th), France (May 30th)
Challenges: Western, Italy, Cult/Drive-In/Grindhouse
Film of the Week: Faccia a faccia
World Cup: Round 1 schedule, Match 1H (May 30th), Match 1I (Jun 17th)

Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Latin American Challenge; Official, May 2016
Topic Started: Apr 28 2016, 02:43:17 PM (2,298 Views)
Hunziker
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
Latin American Challenge

Goal:
Watch as many Latin American films as you can.

Rules:
- A feature film (over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- 60 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- The usual miniseries rule applies.
- Rewatches are not allowed.

Eligible countries

Official lists:
Cien años sin soledad
Cinema Tropical
UNESCO - Bolivia (54-68), Brazil (69-85), Chile (114-128), Colombia (144-159), Ecuador (204-214), Mexico (476-490), Peru (551-565), Puerto Rico (596-623), Venezuela (801-815)
Ariel Award
Contracampo's Top Brazilian Cinema

Unofficial lists:

Latin America

Countries

Personal

Participants:

Sortile9io - 96 (Congrats!)
Max-scl - 85
3eyes - 8
Melvelet -6
cinephage - 6
Hunziker - 5
zuma - 5
blocho - 4
HVM - 2
connordenney - 1

Edited by Hunziker, Jun 14 2016, 10:42:36 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You could also add the Mexican "Ariel Award" to the official lists and perhaps "Español de cine - An anthology of Spanish language films" to the unofficial lists, excluding the Spanish titles.

And count me in.
Edited by sortile9io, Apr 28 2016, 03:38:42 PM.

Hunziker
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
sortile9io
Apr 28 2016, 03:38:20 PM
You could also add the Mexican "Ariel Award" to the official lists and perhaps "Español de cine - An anthology of Spanish language films" to the unofficial lists, excluding the Spanish titles.

And count me in.
Right. Thanks :thumbsup:

Melvelet
Member Avatar
À la recherche du temps perdu...
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I want to focus more on TSPDT again but getting to 100 watched Latin American films (13 to go) should be achievable :)

connordenney
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Of course this challenge happens the month after my Latin American Documentary Cinema course ends

zuma
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

In

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll watch a few.

HVM
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Yo soy un hombre interesado. Dez para mim.

Hunziker
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Preparados... Listos... Fuera!

1. Coyote (2009, Guatemala) - 5.5/10 - First check on iCM. Low budget documentary about a resourceful "coyote" on his last trip through Mexico to the USA. Directed by Chema Rodríguez (Estrellas de La Línea won a bunch of prizes back in the day). While sad (and funny) at times, the movie isn't as insightful as it could be. We get glimpses of the filmmaker's involvement on the trip, I would have liked to see much more of this: It's a difficult and dangerous journey, and it does seem Rodríguez went to great lengths to follow the group.

Vistas

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Alsino y el cóndor (Nicaragua etc 83)

A film made by the Sandinistas (and their sympathisers in Mexico, Cuba, and Costa Rica) about the revolution against the Somozas. Told from the point of view of a young boy. Dean Stockwell as an American "advisor"... Hard to watch mainly because of the quality of the film or rip or whatever - which I suppose was a mercy or it would have been hard to watch in other ways, tho not as brutal as many. A worthy addition to the body of films on war and children.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. La estrategia del caracol (Cabrera, 1993 | Colombia) — Composes a likeable set of humble tenants fighting against a corrupt and ruthless tycoon. However, after the end, I felt as if the key element that kept me puzzled during the story (the crane) was nothing but a trick. 7/10
Edited by sortile9io, May 2 2016, 08:23:24 AM.

Hunziker
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

2. Elogio al cine (2015, Guatemala) - 5/10 - Not on IMDb. Documentary about filmmaking in Guatemala. Interesting bits and pieces but lacks an unifying thread. The director (Sergio Valdés Pedroni) knows how to place the camera, but not how to tell a story.

Vistas

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Frida, naturaleza viva (Leduc, 1983 | Mexico) — Slow and laconic recollection of memories with no apparent order, its beautiful art direction and a few sparse musical moments helped me to keep in focus. 5/10

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Not going to participate (I will see 3 more Brazilian films though) but I made a list of my favourite Latin American films. It includes my 7/10s: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls060602525/

There are a few borderline cases like Soy Cuba and Cuban Love, and I guess one might want to include Que Viva Mexico as well.

Hunziker
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Ettinauer226XL
May 2 2016, 05:03:02 PM
Not going to participate (I will see 3 more Brazilian films though) but I made a list of my favourite Latin American films. It includes my 7/10s: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls060602525/

There are a few borderline cases like Soy Cuba and Cuban Love, and I guess one might want to include Que Viva Mexico as well.
Added to the "personal" lists. :thumbsup:

Hunziker
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

3. Jauja (2014, Argentina) - 8.5/10 - Gorgeous movie. It so simple, visually and story-wise, and yet so mystifying and complex. The 4:3 ratio gives such an unique physicality to the image, that even when the story is undeniably slow you never feel like looking away from the screen. I love how the camera lingers after the characters have left the scene. The last 30 minutes have a Jorodowski-like development that puts the cherry on top of it all, bringing everything together in an odd, satisfying manner. You can see Lisandro Alonso took his inspiration from the greats... It felt like Bergman directing a Tarkovky film.

Vistas

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3. Macunaíma (de Andrade, 1969 | Brazil) — All my previous encounters with Cinema Novo have been painful and unfortunately this one was no exception. 2/10
4. Familia rodante (Trapero, 2004 | Argentina) — Promising starting point, but it tries to take on too much with so many characters yet offers too little beyond the anecdote. I didn't like the abundance of close-ups either: a road movie across the endless landscapes of Argentina that barely uses wide lenses? 6/10

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

sortile9io
May 3 2016, 08:50:30 AM
3. Macunaíma (de Andrade, 1969 | Brazil) — All my previous encounters with Cinema Novo have been painful and unfortunately this one was no exception. 2/10
This felt more like an exception for the Cinema Novo genre. It felt more like Cinema Marginal to me. I usually hate Cinema Marginal films even though it seems like the genre for me. Counter-cultural and a complete rejection of luxury. RYM described it the best way "The aesthetics of the garbage", but they always turned me off for some reason. However I loved Macunaíma. At times it reminded me of a John Waters style comedy. Absolutely absurd and hilarious. Although it dealt with heavier topics such as race.

Cinema Novo reminds me more of European cinema. A handful of films from that genre reminded me of directors like Antonioni or Bresson.

I will see one more Brazilian film today which will be another film by Leon Hirszman. I absolutely adore the films I've seen so far. São Bernardo is great but more cinematography-oriented whereas Eles não usam black-tie [They Don't Wear Black Tie] is a fantastic family drama. I might uprate it to 9/10 soon.
Edited by XxXApathy420XxX, May 3 2016, 12:32:27 PM.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
5. La hora de los hornos (Solanas, Getino, 1968 | Argentina) — A tour de force with outstanding use of montage and photography in its first segment, then switches to a more dull discursive style focusing on recent political events of Argentina. 8/10

Previously...

Posted Image = 2 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 1
Edited by sortile9io, May 4 2016, 09:14:26 AM.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ettinauer226XL
May 3 2016, 12:28:42 PM
sortile9io
May 3 2016, 08:50:30 AM
At times it reminded me of a John Waters style comedy. Absolutely absurd and hilarious. Although it dealt with heavier topics such as race.
Yeah, as far as I remember, John Waters doesn't seem to be much interested in covering his films with the serious intellectual touch I've seen in Cinema Novo. At least Macunaíma lacks the irritating solemnity that Glauber Rocha displays all the time. Speaking of similarities, the pool scene reminded me of Alejandro Jodorowsky.

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. ¡Vámonos con Pancho Villa! (1936, Fernando de Fuentes) 7/10.

Melvelet
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Rio 40 Graus 1955 — a.k.a. Rio 100 Degrees F. 5/10 - Brazil
Why is this on TSPDT and was voted on DtC before? What's so special about it that I missed?
Edited by Melvelet, May 5 2016, 05:58:39 PM.

Melvelet
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My recommendations/favourites: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls060671263/

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Gonna try to see some Brazilian and UNESCO titles.

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
2. Allá en el Rancho Grande (1936, Fernando de Fuentes) 6.5/10 Not bad but the weakest of the Revolution trilogy by De Fuentes, although this one almost doesn't touch the subject. I loved some musical sections.

3. Janitzio (1935, Carlos Navarro) Similar to Redes (1936). I liked how it sometimes turned into a silent film with the music driving the story and emotion of the film.

Spoiler: click to toggle

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
6. El violín (Vargas, 2005 | Mexico) — Calm and straightforward, it serves its purpose. 6/10
7. Veneno para las hadas (Taboada, 1984 | Mexico) — Sort of introductory horror for children, peculiar and bucolic, with room for improvement in acting. 5/10
8. El coraje del pueblo (Sanjinés, 1971 | Bolivia) — Practical illustration of the violent antiunionism repression practices denounced in “La hora de los hornos”. 5/10

Previously...

Posted Image = 2 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 3
Edited by sortile9io, May 5 2016, 11:53:44 AM.

Melvelet
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Macario 1960 8(+)/10 - Mexico
Posted Image
More screenshots: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/tagged/macario

Inspired by a Brothers Grimm tale, going towards magical realism. A rather classical (style) drama that eludes Hollywood trappings, especially towards the end. Cinematography is mostly unremarkable but some cool sets are used. Would make a nice 500<400 entry, I'll try and push it :)

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
I'm continually frustrated because the Spanish and Latin American challenges are always separate, leaving Portugal nowhere. A Spanish/Portuguese language challenge is what would make sense to me.

Well, so I just started watching As Mil e Uma Noites and will be back when I feel like it, I suppose.

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Yes, an Iberoamerican challenge would be nice.

4. Historia de una noche (1941, Luis Saslavsky) 7/10

5. Matar a todos (2007, Esteban Shroeder) 5/10

6. Dos Monjes (1934, Juan Bustillo Oro) 8/10 Awesome, nice cinematography and story.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
max-scl
May 6 2016, 05:00:09 AM
Yes, an Iberoamerican challenge would be nice.

4. Historia de una noche (1941, Luis Saslavsky) 7/10

5. Matar a todos (2007, Esteban Shroeder) 5/10

6. Dos Monjes (1934, Juan Bustillo Oro) 8/10 Awesome, nice cinematography and story.

Elegant name for the challenge I'm hoping for, Max. Thanks!

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
9. Vidas secas (dos Santos, 1963 | Brazil) — Adust portrait of a miserable wretched life. 7/10
10. Cinco días sin Nora (Chenillo, 2008 | Mexico) — Never takes off, the best is the dishes prepared by Fabiana. 4/10
11. Limite (Peixoto, 1931 | Brazil) — Like attending a long exhibition of fine B/W photography. 6/10
12. El romance del Aniceto y la Francisca (Favio, 1967 | Argentina) — Schematic and straight to the point split-object love triangle where characters look and smile more than they talk. 7/10

Previously...

Posted Image = 3 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 3 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 4
Edited by sortile9io, May 6 2016, 06:54:15 PM.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Melvelet
May 5 2016, 06:22:59 PM
Inspired by a Brothers Grimm tale, going towards magical realism. A rather classical (style) drama that eludes Hollywood trappings, especially towards the end. Cinematography is mostly unremarkable but some cool sets are used. Would make a nice 500<400 entry, I'll try and push it :)
I'll watch it.
Edited by sortile9io, May 6 2016, 05:49:28 PM.

Hunziker
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
sortile9io
May 6 2016, 05:49:03 PM
Melvelet
I'll watch it.
Same here. It looks promising.

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Another list:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/top+uruguayan+movies+from+accu/peacefulanarchy/

7. Luponini de Chicago (1935, José Bohr) 5/10

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
8. La Mujer del puerto (1934, Arcady Boytler) [México] 8/10 Back to a great mexican from the 30's movie after a letdown by Luponini.

9. La Guerra Gaucha (1942, Lucas Demare) [Argentina] 8/10 Epic movie, great production, good music, beautiful scenery, very well done in general.

10. La casa está vacía (1945, Carlos Schlieper) [Chile] 6/10 Not really great but I enjoyed it, it was my first Chilean movie from that period, so that made it a good experience.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
13. Canoa (Cazals, 1976 | Mexico) — First puzzled by its format and cheap look, then expecting to see nothing of real interest (perhaps just some nice views during a trekking trip to an old volcano), I was finally shocked all of a sudden by one of the most brutal portrayals of political/religious fanatism I remember. 7/10
14. Rio 40 graus (dos Santos, 1955 | Brazil) — Mosaic with cliched images of life in Rio, a pity I couldn't find a quality copy. 5/10
15. La ciudad y los perros (Lombardi, 1985 | Peru) — A gloomy confrontation between those willing to respect the rules (and denounce when necessary) and those trying surreptitiously to profit from breaking them, it becomes more and more interesting. 8/10

Previously...

Posted Image = 3 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 4 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 5 Posted Image = 1
Edited by sortile9io, May 7 2016, 07:01:03 PM.

sacmersault
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Is it only movies that you've seen after the challenge started?

max-scl
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Yes

11. El diamante del Maharajá (1946, Roberto de Ribón) [Chile] 4/10 Comedy, it had terrible sound so I couldn't hear some jokes, but the ones I could hear were not very good.

12. Música en tu corazón (1946, Miguel Frank) [Chile] 4/10 It was nice to see some parts of the city, the interiors of some buildings and some landscapes, thou.

13. Los rubios (2003, Albertina Carri) [Argentina] 6/10 A documentary about itself.

14. Yawar Mallku (1969, Jorge Sanjinés) 8/10 Great movie.

sortile9io
Member Avatar
World Champion!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
16. La batalla de Chile (I): La insurrección de la burguesía (Guzmán, 1975 | Chile) — An excellent homage to the anonymous people who wrote a key chapter in the recent history of Chile and an interesting account of the methods the oligarchies used to retain the power. 7/10
17. La batalla de Chile (II): El golpe de estado (Guzmán, 1976 | Chile) — Ditto. 7/10
18. La batalla de Chile (III): El poder popular (Guzmán, 1979 | Chile) — Ditto, with more emphasis on the first. 7/10

Previously...

Posted Image = 3 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 4 Posted Image = 3 Posted Image = 1 Posted Image = 5 Posted Image = 1
Edited by sortile9io, May 8 2016, 04:54:28 PM.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Hunziker
May 6 2016, 05:50:53 PM
sortile9io
May 6 2016, 05:49:03 PM
Melvelet
I'll watch it.
Same here. It looks promising.
It definitely deserves more attention.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone